Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help Gearing Question

• 13-05-2015 8:56am

Hi All,

My sister bought a used Dawes Dutchess. She has a problem though in that it is way too easy to cycle, it has 7 gears and 1-5 are nearly unusable generating little movement.S he is only using 7 and 6 at the moment.
    Should I change the sprocket to a bigger one up front?

I was thinking of moving up one tooth is that enough?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Are there 2 chain rings on the front or just one? Changing one tooth will make absolutely no difference. If the first 5 gears are unusable as they're too low then you'd need to be changing to a chainring with maybe 7 or 8 extra teeth to leave a useable spread of gears.

Edit: I just googled the spec, it has a 38T front chain ring and 14-28t cassette so yeah I can see how there would be a lot of 'easy' gears. Because it has only o e front chain ring your sort of limited on what range of cassettes you can use and anything lower than 28t would mean hills would be very difficult. I think best thing is just to use the higher gears and still have the easy gears for when they're needed.

Are there 2 chain rings on the front or just one? Changing one tooth will make absolutely no difference. If the first 5 gears are unusable as they're too low then you'd need to be changing to a chainring with maybe 7 or 8 extra teeth to leave a useable spread of gears.

Edit: I just googled the spec, it has a 38T front chain ring and 14-28t cassette so yeah I can see how there would be a lot of 'easy' gears. Because it has only o e front chain ring your sort of limited on what range of cassettes you can use and anything lower than 28t would mean hills would be very difficult. I think best thing is just to use the higher gears and still have the easy gears for when they're needed.

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. If I was to change the front ring instead of the casette would it give more "usable" gears across the range though?

Edit, or could I put on a front derailleur and add another sprocket?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. If I was to change the front ring instead of the casette would it give more "usable" gears across the range though?

If it is a cassette as opposed to a freewheel, this 12-28 would help, but I'm guessing that it is more likely a freewheel. You could pick up a 13-25 or 13-28 7 speed freewheel from SJS here which would help slightly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Edit, or could I put on a front derailleur and add another sprocket?

Bigger chain ring at the front would give you fewer 'easy' gears and more 'hard' ones. Something like a 42t would make everything ~10 'harder'.

Front derailleur and 2nd ring would also require an additional shifter, cabling, bottom bracket, and crank set. The frame may possibly not support this, though most I've seen do.

smacl wrote: »
    If it is a cassette as opposed to a freewheel, this 12-28 would help, but I'm guessing that it is more likely a freewheel. You could pick up a 13-25 or 13-28 7 speed freewheel from SJS here which would help slightly.

Thanks for that, are freewheels very rare. I was looking on chain reaction but could see any so il buy from the link you showed, would 13-25 or 13-28 be very similar or would one be preferred?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Thanks for that, are freewheels very rare. I was looking on chain reaction but could see any so il buy from the link you showed, would 13-25 or 13-28 be very similar or would one be preferred?

Do you know how to replace a freewheel? do you have the appropriate tools?
    You say the bike is a "used" Bike, how old is it? Its quite possible you'll have to replace the chain as well as the freewheel.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Do you know how to replace a freewheel? do you have the appropriate tools?
    You say the bike is a "used" Bike, how old is it? Its quite possible you'll have to replace the chain as well as the freewheel.

Yeah il grab a freewheel remover from a mate. Yeah I've no problem with the chain, the rear mech looks like it's taken some punishment so I'm going to replace that, the freewheel and chain. Bike is probably 3-5 years old I would say

smacl wrote: »

So I ended up buying the 13-25, a new rear mech, new chain and new gear cable :eek: probably worth more than the bike

Advertisement