Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 FranDub

Joolzie wrote: »
    It's my turn to say a hearty Ha Ha! You already asked me a couple of posts further back, and I am still a Dub..:)

Oh yeah, sorry about that, I got lost in the messages ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭Thud

I'm thinking Ortolan :( first but then steak frites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Favourite french food? Tough to decide!

Steak frites, boeuf bourguignon, confit de canard.

Crêpes, éclairs, tart tatin.

Lack of french products in shops? I'd be able to rustle up some attempt at french recipes from the local supermarket. Not too hard to find excellent spuds and very good beef in Ireland. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Une piece montee, (sorry, don't know where the accents are on this keyboard.) is another name for it. you know the cake they have at french weddings. Little choux pastries filled with creme patissiere, used like little building blocks, with fine sugar lacing all around it. Same shape as a parfait.
    Croque en Bouche ? Or something like that ? I made a few of them ages ago- always got cream filling from the profiteroles in the caramel that you use to stick them together - annoyed me grr -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

FranDub wrote: »
    Hello,

First, let me introduce myself : I am French and I live next to Dublin.
    According to that, indeed sometimes I am a bit surprised by the answers as there are things that I don't even really know myself or because I had in mind that this or that product was not really known outside the French borders. I have been here for a while now and I was wondering why there are so many Italian and Spanish products in stores while we can not find that much French products. If you want, you can consider it as a survey, but the aim of this topic is just to see what people from Ireland have in mind when they think about french food, just to check if the frog's legs and snails cliche are still alive in a time of globalisation and things like that.

Does that answer your question ? :):)

What 'French' products do you think that we are missing? Snails & cans of duck fat would probably be hard to come by, but from the foods mentioned in this thread, I'd imagine that most common French dishes could be created from locally available produce.

• Advertisement

What 'French' products do you think that we are missing? Snails & cans of duck fat would probably be hard to come by, but from the foods mentioned in this thread, I'd imagine that most common French dishes could be created from locally available produce.

I totally agree with you and I understand that when it comes to cook a French meal you can use locally grown products as what is French in a French meal is the recipe more than the products.. but I was thinking about products that are not produced in Ireland.. Sorry if I am wrong, but for example I don't think you can find local olive oil, dried prunes or even Espelette pepper..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I don't buy a lot of specifically French ingredients but if you were looking for those in Dublin Fallon & Byrne, the small French shop in Chex Max on Baggot Street, Terroirs in Donnybrook, The Gourmet Shop in Rathgar and Magills on Clarendon Street should have a selection of French ingredients. The Gourmet Shop almost definitely has dried prunes, they have an awesome selection of dried fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I totally agree with you and I understand that when it comes to cook a French meal you can use locally grown products as what is French in a French meal is the recipe more than the products.. but I was thinking about products that are not produced in Ireland.. Sorry if I am wrong, but for example I don't think you can find local olive oil, dried prunes or even Espelette pepper..
    Olive oil and dried prunes are pretty easily.
    You may disagree, but you dont need to use french olive oil in a french recioe.

I know you don't have to use a French olive oil when cooking a French meal. As I said the recipe might be French but the products are not / don't have to be French.
    It's like cooking an Irish stew, if you cook it with potatoes from Spain (Do they have potatoes there ?) in the end it will always be an Irish stew, isn't it ?

Sorry if I am wrong, but for example I don't think you can find local olive oil, dried prunes or even Espelette pepper..

Do you mean local as in 'grown in Ireland'?

• Advertisement

Do you mean local as in 'grown in Ireland'?

Yes, like locally grown and locally produced.

Ah, well I'm not a farmer but we don't really have the climate for peppers or olives I think. Or for being a place where you'd have traditionally have had enough sun to dry fruit so, while we have plums, I've never come across Irish prunes

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I know you don't have to use a French olive oil when cooking a French meal. As I said the recipe might be French but the products are not / don't have to be French.
    It's like cooking an Irish stew, if you cook it with potatoes from Spain (Do they have potatoes there ?) in the end it will always be an Irish stew, isn't it ?

I just found the Idea that you couldn't get olive oil or dried prunes to be a bit strange. Both very common if have thought.

Mellor wrote: »
    I just found the Idea that you couldn't get olive oil or dried prunes to be a bit strange. Both very common if have thought.

i know you can find them .. I was just thinking about locally grown products.. Sorry about that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

i know you can find them .. I was just thinking about locally grown products.. Sorry about that :D

Yes, Ireland is going to be more like the Breton region. No vineyards or olives, but plenty of dairy, fish and beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Joolzie

YES, more than once even.. To be honest it's not something that I really like, but it's ok during summer, eating outisde under the sun with a bit of Mayonnaise .. :P

Yak! I'll only eat them in a seafood Terrine. I had to buy a bag for my friend off the pier in Dun Laoire. I tied the bag tight, and put it on the back shelf behind the back seats in the car. When I was driving home the bag was moving all the time when I was stopped at traffic lights.You could hear it moving:eek::eek: AAGGGGGHHHHHHH!! The guy I bought them off said they go to be exported straightaway to Korea and Japan. The native Irish are n't really fans

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Joolzie

There is a huge amount of french Produce available in the Irish shops. I am not going to start advertising names of food etc, but there are french people living here that have french product import companies, and plenty of wines too. Did you know you can buy Pineau des Charentes here?, amongst many other things. PLENTY of wine suppliers. I can't remember if it's Lidl or Aldi do specials on a french bakery: ready made yummy croque monsieurs, from time to time, but it's good you don't know, that means you have been busy engaging in the irish way. Nothing wrong with that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 asjasia

The first thing that comes to my mind would be ratatouille and croissants haha

Yak! I'll only eat them in a seafood Terrine. I had to buy a bag for my friend off the pier in Dun Laoire. I tied the bag tight, and put it on the back shelf behind the back seats in the car. When I was driving home the bag was moving all the time when I was stopped at traffic lights.You could hear it moving:eek::eek: AAGGGGGHHHHHHH!! The guy I bought them off said they go to be exported straightaway to Korea and Japan. The native Irish are n't really fans

Watch out , maybe one of them is living and having fun somewhere in your car !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

My first thought when hearing French Cuisine is usually "Ah well, probably nothing there for me then".
    Most of it tends to centre around meat and fish, unfortunately.

That said, I love the varieties of vegetables available there, and overall they are very decent bakers. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 josephineperry

I think of: cheese, baguette, quiche lorraine, wine, frogs, snails.

Advertisement