Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return after prolonged absence

• 13-05-2015 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Between 2003 and 2006 I completed the first three years of a four year bachelors degree course at DIT Kevin Street. Instead of completing the final year I left to enter full time employment, which lasted up until close to the present date. I have been thinking of returning next September to complete the final year.

I want to know if this is something that I can actually do. Is this something that anyone has ever done at the DIT, returning after prolonged absence to complete a course?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

On what terms did you leave before 4th year? What did the school office (or relevant body) say at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jcdf

I had completed all the modules of the third year and was ready to go into the fourth.

I did not notify the school office of my intention not to do the fourth year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

So you just never came back? Sound like you need to start communicating with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

I did something similar in UCD. Years ago I had completed years 1 and 2 of a 3 year degree. I fell ill, dropped out of year 3 and eventually went into full time employment.

A few years later I decided to see could I go back. I contacted the programs office and they suggested that I join a similar course - this time a 4 year part-time course.
    Not all of the subjects were the same as what I had previously studied but most of them were identical, or similar. They sat me down, went through each subject I had previously passed and they were able to give me a load of exemptions going into the new part-time course. I was able to rejoin the part-time course with just year 3 and 4 left.

They were very helpful and it was a big relief to know that my previous study still counted. I think there might be a 10 year limit on when you can carry old subjects as exemptions. I could be wrong.

Give the programs office in DIT a call and see what they can do for you. Apparently it happens quite often. Also, you could look into continuing your studies in another college. I believe some of the exemptions will still carry across.

Best of luck with it. I was delighted I got a second chance at it, and I'm due to graduate this summer! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

this absolutely happens all time. Advice above is great. In DIT contact the School Office or the Coordinator of the Programme which you should be able to find on the website. This actually just sounds like a standard advanced entry application i.e entry into any year except 1st year for full time programmes.

Advanced Entry applications is actually done through the CAO. While you are past the closing date for that the relevant School would able to advise if you can still apply for not.

if you prefer part time study then also contact the School office/coordinator

I would make contact with them as soon as possible. The academic year finishes soon and you ideally need to make contact with an academic.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 jcdf

I contacted the admissions office and they directed me to the CAO website (I had forgotten all about it after the leaving cert) to look under Mature Applicants and Advanced Entry. It seems returning after prolonged absence is no different from applying the first time.

I have applied through the CAO system for the fourth year of the course. It cost me fifty euros. Now I wait and see if they will take me back.

https://www.cao.ie

Thanks for the advice everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

hey ya ...did you make contact your School office at all. The relevant School decide on all advanced applications (entry into Year 2, etc) so if you havent made contact I would still do that and do it as soon as possible before academics leave. While you may have to apply through the CAO the decision is ultimately down to the School involved.

All mature applicants and advanced entry students now apply through the CAO (for the most part) but the decision always lies with the School within DIT. The School will be the ones assessing your application.

Remember is it not a question of will they take you back - DIT is quite flexible really. Some questions to consider are how long you have been out of education/has the programme changed significantly/places available etc. Entry directly into 4th year is unusual also.

The CAO is simply the application system.

Advertisement