Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ADVICE ON TURBO TRAINER

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I have the Tacx you linked...Its fine, havent tried another one so really cant compare with anything.
    Marginally cheaper on swimcyclerun so id try there...EDIT(they seem to be out of stock!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Google Elite Muin turbo, might be out of price range though. Cheaper than the wahoo, no rear wheel with direct drivetrain. I know of two people using these and they rate them highly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I have the tacx one you linked (well, an older model) if you want to try it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I have a Tacx Flow which is electromagnetic, as opposed to the magnetic of the Tacx you link to. I can't fault it but it is relatively noisy (though not as noisy as me when I'm using it, as my wife reminded me recently!), so I'd expect the Satori to be similar. I'm using a Kurt Kinetic Rock'n'Roll at the moment, which is fluid-based, and it is much quieter.

If I were buying today I'd have the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine II at the top of my list. It should be as quiet as my Rock'n'Roll, have the same progressive resistance too (which I like a lot), but it is smaller and easier to pack away - admittedly I'd miss the rocking ability of the Rock'n'Roll a little though, I think. It's outside of your budget though at £260 plus delivery and that doesn't include a front wheel riser either, but a second hand one should be a safe bet (they have a lifetime warranty) if you can find one.

Good luck with your recovery by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I have a Halfords http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/turbo-trainers-nutrition-training/turbo-trainers/elite-magnetic-cycle-trainer one I bought recently, set up the bike on it, cycled for less than 5 minutes and realized it isn't something I am going to use and put it back in the box, I'd sell it if you are interested, give me a call on <snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

rustynutz wrote: »
    I have a Halfords http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/turbo-trainers-nutrition-training/turbo-trainers/elite-magnetic-cycle-trainer one I bought recently, set up the bike on it, cycled for less than 5 minutes and realized it isn't something I am going to use and put it back in the box, I'd sell it if you are interested, give me a call on <snip>

Never post your phone number on the forum, they can be collected by spammers, scam artists, and general creeps.

Also, please use the adverts forum to sell your gear, not here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Never post your phone number on the forum, they can be collected by spammers, scam artists, and general creeps.

Also, please use the adverts forum to sell your gear, not here.

Sorry, I hadn't considered selling until I seen this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

I have a tacx. Its very noisy on a tiled kitchen floor.

The noise makes you feel like a total savage though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Have the elite turbo muin. Can't recommend it highly enough. No tyre issues, loads of resistance, super stable even during hard out of saddle intervals and best of all quiet, really quiet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

For tacx trainers, I'd look at bike24 rather than CRC, the one you linked with a load of free extras still comes out cheaper than CRC. For €249 plus shipping you could get a TacX I-flow VR, which is a great piece of kit if you have a PC or laptop to run the software. Alternatively, the tacx flow at €229 is decent. I've had a flow for the last few years and use it a lot over the winter with the VR training, which for me at least makes turbo sessions less tedious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Are you sure you want a Magentic one? They're really loud.
    With the Rear Wheel, casette and tyre factored in, it ads up.
    But you're going to be off the road for a while, so you'd only need the tyre (or an old one you already have).

My advice would be to look on DoneDeal, Boards Buy&Sell and Adverts.ie for a Fluid one.
    I seen a Muin on DoneDeal for €350 a few months back.
    People are not using them since the clocks (and weather) changed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Are you sure you want a Magentic one? They're really loud.
    With the Rear Wheel, casette and tyre factored in, it ads up.
    But you're going to be off the road for a while, so you'd only need the tyre (or an old one you already have).

My advice would be to look on DoneDeal, Boards Buy&Sell and Adverts.ie for a Fluid one.
    I seen a Muin on DoneDeal for €350 a few months back.
    People are not using them since the clocks (and weather) changed.

Don't know about the Muin ones, but the tacx do suffer from wear and tear over time. To date I've snapped the release handle off the brake, broken one the buttons on the head unit (sweat), broken a spring in the VR steerer, and had to replace the brake electromagnets (daughters dog peed on it, bad dog!). I'd be reluctant to spend too much money on a 2nd hand one that has seen heavy use.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭katnia

This one looks like good value, although I'm not familiar with this model myself....although I'm considering it based on other prices for it I see online.

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/elite-real-tour-wireless-ant-107653/wg_id-6822

Here is the Elite Muin on rose for €359 + shipping..I have a €10 voucher for Rose that will cover the shipping if you want to go for this one..

http://www.rosebikes.com/article/elite-turbo-muin-indoor-trainer/aid:784348

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

Eamonn, I've a spare turbo trainer tyre you're welcome to. It's the vittoria one

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-zaffiro-pro-home-trainer-tyre/

can drop it over to you if you want

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I borrowed a Tacx Sartori when I was similarly broken. Didn't find it loud to be honest, but it was on carpet. Found it spot on (and named her Síle…)!

Working up any kind of a sweat is quite painful with broken ribs I found, good for getting the deep breaths in though I suppose!

And get well soon. (())

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Thanks to everybody for offers of loans of trainers, as well as those offered here, I had very kind offers by P.M. Because he lives closely and he very kindly delivered, I have taken Lennymc up on his offer. I have it set up in garage. I am pleasantly surprised at the noise level.
    I will give it a go for a couple of weeks.
    I have been looking at some of those suggested. A couple were a bit above budget.
    I have come across a better spec'd Tacx trainer on another site at a good price, so I think, I might go with that.
    Thanks for all the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭fcon

You'll have to get on Zwift now! Or at least TrainerRoad.

(SufferFest if you're a real sucker for punishment)

Advertisement