Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warriors Run 2015

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Terry049 wrote: »
    Has anybody got a garmin activity for the course? any idea off added time it takes due to mountain as apposed to it all being on road? is it relatively easy to follow the fastest line up and down of would runner vary their route to to better knowledge of route?
    Thanks for any any info.

Don't have a garmin link to hand although there is a course map on the website.
    Off road section takes roughly 1/3 of total race time. If you took the road for the section that is off road it would only take 20-25% of off-road time.

For example. If race takes a runner 60 mins then off-road section is around 20 mins (a bit longer usually). If you skipped the offroad bit you'd complete in 45 mins-ish.

Not much route choice. Follow the markers, there isnt any real 'local' short cuts although being familiar with the route helps especially the downhill which is steep and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Terry049

demfad wrote: »
    Don't have a garmin link to hand although there is a course map on the website.
    Off road section takes roughly 1/3 of total race time. If you took the road for the section that is off road it would only take 20-25% of off-road time.

For example. If race takes a runner 60 mins then off-road section is around 20 mins (a bit longer usually). If you skipped the offroad bit you'd complete in 45 mins-ish.

Not much route choice. Follow the markers, there isnt any real 'local' short cuts although being familiar with the route helps especially the downhill which is steep and fast.

Thanks alot Demfad. Only taking chance to run at last minute. No specific training done but have done some Dublin mountain sprint sessions in the past. Just trying to get an idea of what time might be realistic. Dont think il be too brave on decent either.

So if time on hill is circ 33% of race time, what % of race distance is the section?

For example taking a finishing time of 60 mins. If hill section is 4k (takes 20mins) the other 11k would need to be done in 40 mins.

If its only 3k then 12k would need to be done in 40 mins. I hope this q make sense to you.

Il check out the map on site.

Thanks again!!

Terry049 wrote: »
    Thanks alot Demfad. Only taking chance to run at last minute. No specific training done but have done some Dublin mountain sprint sessions in the past. Just trying to get an idea of what time might be realistic. Dont think il be too brave on decent either.

So if time on hill is circ 33% of race time, what % of race distance is the section?

For example taking a finishing time of 60 mins. If hill section is 4k (takes 20mins) the other 11k would need to be done in 40 mins.

If its only 3k then 12k would need to be done in 40 mins. I hope this q make sense to you.

Il check out the map on site.

Thanks again!!

The race is actually closer to 14 k (9 miles).

I've attached a spreadsheet with exact distances and includes the winners spilts last year (Last years full results, click into a runner to see splits).

Offroad is 3.6 k. 2k roughly to summit, 1.6k down.
    You'll see from the spreadsheet that just before the offroad climb you gain almost 60m in 650m running on tarmac. This is the glen road climb.
    (Note the descent continues on tarmac for a few hundred metres after the offroad descent ends too.)

You will have the glen road in your legs (and 4.15k road running) before the offroad.

To be honest, all but a few walk the climb at some point. Not many practice steep uphill walking in training even though from 5-20% of the race will be spent doing just that.

1/3 is a rough estimate for the offroad section. Youll see from teh results even the winner (probably the top current Irish International mountain runner) managed only 34-5%.

The offroad climb/descent ratio is about 3/1.

To calculate your predicted time:

Best scenario if youre an experienced mountain runner and/or naturally strong:
    current 10 mile pace capability over 10.65k (road section) You can use This Calculator. Add on 55% of this time again for the hill.

Otherwise. Same with marathon pace and 60% as hill time.

They would be the 2 limits. You need to pace yourself so you're in control and relatively rested at the bottom of the glen.

If you want to state a recent race time and your background I can give you an estimation (PM if you prefer). Anything else ask away.

Just to let you know:

<<Just to mention that John Lenihan will be signing his running book in Strandhill for the event.

For those who don't know John won the first 5 races from 1985-89 and these performances contributed massively to the prestige, reputation and fearfulness of this race.
    With a 10 mile PB of 47 mins and being of world mountain running championship winning calibre, he was simply untouchable against all competitors local or foreign. His winning time of 50 mins on the old course (1 min longer I believe so equivalent to 49 mins today) is a time that will probably never be bettered or approached.

The long hair Kerry athlete was hugely popular locally. And the feeling was mutual. In 1991 when he won the world mountain running title in Switzerland he didn't go to straight home to Kerry. He went directly from the plane to Strandhill to show the trophy locally and to the local schools.

Years later on the 21st anniversary of that first race, when Lenihans feats had faded to myth, and people began to doubt, the master returned to demolish the field in one of his most commanding victories over a strong field of young rivals.

He's friendly, polite and witty personality is at odds with his fearlfulness on the mountains so say hello!

The book is great value and a great read with plenty on the Warriors run, training and his very interesting upbringing on the Stacks mountains.>>

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

Looks like I wont be able to take part Saturday, I have done an injury that is going take a few weeks to recover from, does anyone know is it too late for transfers?

• Advertisement

Looks like I wont be able to take part Saturday, I have done an injury that is going take a few weeks to recover from, does anyone know is it too late for transfers?

Sorry to hear that, hope the injury clears up soon.

Think you can transfer in person on Friday evening (6-8) at the warriors marquee in Strandhill. So you'll need to find someone to take your place before then. I imagine there may be people turning up there looking too, so it might be worth your while heading out anyway. (nothing certain there though)

The financial aspect of the transfer would be arranged seperately between you and the person taking your place

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

demfad wrote: »
    Just to let you know:

<<Just to mention that John Lenihan will be signing his running book in Strandhill for the event.

For those who don't know John won the first 5 races from 1985-89 and these performances contributed massively to the prestige, reputation and fearfulness of this race.
    With a 10 mile PB of 47 mins and being of world mountain running championship winning calibre, he was simply untouchable against all competitors local or foreign. His winning time of 50 mins on the old course (1 min longer I believe so equivalent to 49 mins today) is a time that will probably never be bettered or approached.

The long hair Kerry athlete was hugely popular locally. And the feeling was mutual. In 1991 when he won the world mountain running title in Switzerland he didn't go to straight home to Kerry. He went directly from the plane to Strandhill to show the trophy locally and to the local schools.

Years later on the 21st anniversary of that first race, when Lenihans feats had faded to myth, and people began to doubt, the master returned to demolish the field in one of his most commanding victories over a strong field of young rivals.

He's friendly, polite and witty personality is at odds with his fearlfulness on the mountains so say hello!

The book is great value and a great read with plenty on the Warriors run, training and his very interesting upbringing on the Stacks mountains.>>

Wow thats great to hear that John Lenihan will be there. I didnt know he released a book and just looked it up and it looks like it would be a great read.

I remember that 21st anniversary run when he was running it. I heard so much about him but with his age I presumed that he would run well but not be up at the top, well I was definitely wrong. I remember him passing me as he was coming first down the mountain he looked very strong and as you said he demolished the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Cant wait for Saturday now!!!

It is still my favourite race ever.

I ran the race every year from 2005 to 2009 and was watched it in 2010 as I was injured. Have been living out of the country every year since so it's six years since I ran the Warriors.

Have never managed to beat the time I set in 2005(1.09.55) but am really determined to get a new PB. I know the course is probably a bit shorter then the course in 2005 but ill still take a better time haha.

Was in good shape back in April but 3 months travel has taken away some sharpness. I ran the Strand Celtic Knocknarea loop in just under 55 minutes so I reckon ill have to push real hard to get under 70 minutes on Saturday but ill try my best and hopefully leave it all on the course.

Psychologically I break the race into three parts which im sure most people do. From the strand to the start of the mountain, then up and down the mountain and then the road back home.

Roll on Saturday!!!

Wow thats great to hear that John Lenihan will be there. I didnt know he released a book and just looked it up and it looks like it would be a great read.

I remember that 21st anniversary run when he was running it. I heard so much about him but with his age I presumed that he would run well but not be up at the top, well I was definitely wrong. I remember him passing me as he was coming first down the mountain he looked very strong and as you said he demolished the field.

In fairness there is some mental stuff in it. Knowing The constituents of his pre race meal when he won the world championship in mountain running is worth getting the book for alone. Id agree to eat my hat and give anyone a million euro if they guessed it right. (forget about the million,dont have it)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Its the least prepared I have ever been. Leaving the Garmin at home, and just going to run a comfortable pace.

Good luck to all participants today.

• Advertisement

Not leaving the garmin behind, but have turned off all data screens and lap alerts so will only run by feel but can look at how I did when I get home.

I'm going to be taking it fairly handy today, I just can't afford to get injured at this stage.

Good luck everyone!

Not leaving the garmin behind, but have turned off all data screens and lap alerts so will only run by feel but can look at how I did when I get home.

I'm going to be taking it fairly handy today, I just can't afford to get injured at this stage.

Good luck everyone!

I'm just running by feel as well. Usally I am constantly looking at my pace, and seeing where i have to pick it up. Will still wear the FitBit though.

Bit nippy this morning, with a mist hanging over Mabh, so currently considering the race kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

This is my first Warriors and I think the unknown may have lulled me into a false sense of ease!

I've had a few days rest so the legs should be in good shape and my socks are marked left and right so I should be safe enough in that regard :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Posts deleted.

2 days after my 5th Warriors, still saying never again.

Wouldn't mind being one of the Stewards/Volunteers on the bikes next year.

Not sure I can give any more of my body to it.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    2 days after my 5th Warriors, still saying never again.

Wouldn't mind being one of the Stewards/Volunteers on the bikes next year.

Not sure I can give any more of my body to it.

:D

Very same story here- there's more than enough of my sweat on top of that mountain!
    I'd like to be a helper too, but I'd make sure and not tell people that the seventh mountain marker was the 7k mark when we were actually at just under 5k. :rolleyes:

Hope a great day was had by all. Race report HERE

Advertisement