Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Icade for Ipad?

• 13-05-2015 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭robbie02

Hi I love playing the old games on the ipad but really need a decent joystick for it, touchscreen just doesnt cut it. I want to play Atari, Speculator, Midway, and capcom. does the icade support all these apps? or is there another type controller that would be better?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

robbie02 wrote: »
    Hi I love playing the old games on the ipad but really need a decent joystick for it, touchscreen just doesnt cut it. I want to play Atari, Speculator, Midway, and capcom. does the icade support all these apps? or is there another type controller that would be better?

I've the iCade and it works well with the iPad. I swapped out the buttons and joystick for proper arcade parts, but the standard ones are ok.
    You'll certainly get more out of it if you have an iPad Air 2 and have it jailbroken to run MAME and the various other emulators available on Cydia.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭robbie02

i just have an ipad 2, not sure would i want to jailbreak it but i might change my mind if the icade works out cause i LOVE MAME! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Because the iCade is a modded bluetooth keyboard it can also be used with an Android tablet, so if you don't fancy jailbreaking your iPad have a look at what tablets are confirmed working with the iCade, find a cheap option, Mame4droid certainly supports the device itself.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Because the iCade is a modded bluetooth keyboard it can also be used with an Android tablet, so if you don't fancy jailbreaking your iPad have a look at what tablets are confirmed working with the iCade, find a cheap option, Mame4droid certainly supports the device itself.

Now thats a good idea, i think i ll do that. thanks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

robbie02 wrote: »
    Now thats a good idea, i think i ll do that. thanks!

Remember to check if the tablet you have is compatible with the device, it seems to be variable, and with the dimensions of the ipad being different to android tablets in the main, not all will fit, again a little research will avoid man tears later!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Remember to check if the tablet you have is compatible with the device, it seems to be variable, and with the dimensions of the ipad being different to android tablets in the main, not all will fit, again a little research will avoid man tears later!

will do cheers for the tip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I got one of these from Adverts, opened it up and removed the bluetooth controller, and replaced it with an iPAC 2, have this now hooked up to a Raspberry Pi 2 B, just want to get a screen for it now, and have a self enclosed mini-bartop!

Star Lord wrote: »
    I got one of these from Adverts, opened it up and removed the bluetooth controller, and replaced it with an iPAC 2, have this now hooked up to a Raspberry Pi 2 B, just want to get a screen for it now, and have a self enclosed mini-bartop!

Have you swapped out the old buttons and stick? It's like a new machine with proper arcade bits :0)
    I went with sanwa; but seimitsu will also work.

Not just yet, but that's part of the roadmap too! Especially the joystick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

anywhere selling the icade cheap at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

anywhere selling the icade cheap at the moment?

Amazon is your best bet:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/iCade-Arcade-Gaming-Cabinet-iPad/dp/B004YC4NH6/ref=dp_ob_title_vg

Just noticed the icade core is £40 from amazon direct. Thats madness. It was £20 for it the last time i checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Bought one last year. Stuck sanwa/seimitsu parts in it. Played it once. I guess it looks good though.

An icade core going here for £9.99 here with free uk delivery:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/iCade-Core-Arcade-Controller-Ipad/dp/B007W145CE/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A3CXPDR13803CL

Just parcel motel it and youre laughing.
    It ships from the U.S. though.

Strangely enough its listed by the same seller under a different title for £66 here:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/iCade-Core-Bluetooth-Arcade-Controller/dp/B008BGY2I6/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A3CXPDR13803CL

Doge wrote: »
    An icade core going here for £9.99 here with free uk delivery:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/iCade-Core-Arcade-Controller-Ipad/dp/B007W145CE/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A3CXPDR13803CL

Just parcel motel it and youre laughing.
    It ships from the U.S. though.

Strangely enough its listed by the same seller under a different title for £66 here:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/iCade-Core-Bluetooth-Arcade-Controller/dp/B008BGY2I6/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A3CXPDR13803CL

Thats a very good price for it. But the Core version uses a much cheaper and flimsier feeling plastic than the full size iCade(and doesnt look like a little arcade machine :))
    Just something to keep in mind.

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Thats a very good price for it. But the Core version uses a much cheaper and flimsier feeling plastic than the full size iCade(and doesnt look like a little arcade machine :))
    Just something to keep in mind.

Yeah its flimsier alright and probably more noisey.
    Its the core version i have myself as i went for portability.

I really want to swap out the buttons and joystick soon, the buttons are very tiring to use!

I really want to swap out the buttons and joystick soon, the buttons are very tiring to use!

tumblr_mgjt2f7nOQ1ry14qgo1_500.gif

I want to swap out the stick and buttons on mine too, mostly to make it less clicky though, and the joystick is fairly rubbish anyway.

Once you swap out the stick and buttons it goes from being a mostly novelty controller, to actually something very usable.

dsc3374csml.jpg

dat colour scheme tho'. :D

Speaking of colour schemes, do any of you guys know of some software that visualizes an arcade control panel layout, and lets you choose the colour of the buttons and balltop?

Just something that makes it easier for choosing a colour scheme.

Something other than photoshop too! ;)

Lazy me, found one on Ultimarc:

https://www.ultimarc.com/winipac_ipd.html

Shame its not rendered in 3D but will do the trick i suppose.

dat colour scheme tho'. :D

Speaking of colour schemes, do any of you guys know of some software that visualizes an arcade control panel layout, and lets you choose the colour of the buttons and balltop?

Just something that makes it easier for choosing a colour scheme.

Something other than photoshop too! ;)

gOHhwqC.jpg

• Advertisement

Hi folks, well i have since got the icade and it works fine, the buttons are a bit clicky alright though but it is a great little device. now as their is a limited number of games on the ipad, i am more interested in using MAME, as i dont want to get my ipad jailbroken i will buy a android tablet for it.

Now the only thing is i bought a new smart phone last week, its a cheaper model (but pretty decent) vodaphone smart prime 6. So i tried unsuccessfully to pair a mame emulator i installed on it (MAME4ALL) with the Icade. when i went into bluetooth settings on phone, i turned on bluetooth, held down the 5 bottom buttons on the icade, the icade device comes up, it asks me for the 6 digit pairing code, i enter them using the icade buttons and it fails to pair. After trying this several times with same unsuccessful message,

i went checking on forums, one suggestion was to installed Bluez sme bluetooth app, go into this, press the five bottom buttons so the icade shows up, then switch to ime keyboard, put in code INCORRECTLY, then switch back to android keyboard make sure bluetooth is on and put in the code and it should work (one person said you don have to put code in at all, it ll just pair) anyway i did all that and no joy. its said the newer versions of android dont pair with icade straightforwardly.

Anyone have any suggestions, experience, help with this woud be muchly appreciated.

Damn! Just saw this thread and was hoping you hadn't bought anything Android yet to use with the iCade. I tried and it was an absolute nightmare....because you need a 9.7" tablet you are immediately restricted to what you can use (not that many 9.7" android tablets). The only success I had was with a HP Touchpad after I flashed Android on it and a Nook HD+ with the stock software. However the HP Touchpad is ancient and the stock ROM on the Nook is slow and irritating. For both I needed Bluez IME.

I just bought an iPad 4 eventually because I was so weary of trying to get Android tablets to pair with it. I believe that after 4.2.2/Jelly Bean the ability to pair with an iCade was removed.

Damn! Just saw this thread and was hoping you hadn't bought anything Android yet to use with the iCade. I tried and it was an absolute nightmare....because you need a 9.7" tablet you are immediately restricted to what you can use (not that many 9.7" android tablets). The only success I had was with a HP Touchpad after I flashed Android on it and a Nook HD+ with the stock software. However the HP Touchpad is ancient and the stock ROM on the Nook is slow and irritating. For both I needed Bluez IME.

I just bought an iPad 4 eventually because I was so weary of trying to get Android tablets to pair with it. I believe that after 4.2.2/Jelly Bean the ability to pair with an iCade was removed.

Ah no worries, i didnt buy an android tablet, just that i bought a new android smartphone last week which i was going to get anyway and i tried to pair it with icade just to do a test with it for MAME and no joy, yeah it seems the newer version of android doesnt let it pair easily, i tried various ways to get it working including using Bluez IME, with no joy at all, ah well i still can use it on ipad for time being.

Advertisement