Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"irish TV" player on xbmc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Getting a lot of buffering in past few days, tried downgrading to 2.x to see if it's because of the 720P streams but still buffers 480 content....anyone else experiencing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Getting a lot of buffering in past few days, tried downgrading to 2.x to see if it's because of the 720P streams but still buffers 480 content....anyone else experiencing this?

Tried RTÉ 1 & 2 in 720 ....... both good and no buffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Tried RTÉ 1 & 2 in 720 ....... both good and no buffering.
    Thanks ...I'm seeing it on the catch up stuff...can you try the latest weather forecast.?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭zakalibit

why downgrade? just set the max bitrate in the settings, as well it does not matter what is the plugin version for stream playback, the plugin is not involved in the actual catchup playback, only live streams.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭HattrickNZ

test - sorry was having trouble posting. don't think i can have https urls in the post?

• Advertisement

big thanks to zakalibit this is a great add on !! And I have just come accross it.

Just some questions:

1 - Will this work behind a dns/vpn?

2 - I can only stream rte news in the live section, so what do i have to do to get rte1,2?
    what i plan to do is download the static ffmpeg from here - ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/. But I am on windows so not sure what to do once I unzip it. Do I have to install anything? Or do i just the files in a certain directory, and then point at this dir in the settings of the addon? As pointed out here - zakalibit.github.io/kodi.rteplayer.hq/ under "RT Live Streams".

3 - this is HD content 720, anyhow. Is this actually better than the actual rteplayer.ie? Also I noticed A lot of buffereing for the live content and the on demad content. Bu I am not sure if this is the content or my internet connection? The max my internet can get is 8/9Mbps(wifi will try the lan cable). Is 8/9Mbps enough to get 720HD with out buffering? Or is there more to it? Appreciate others experiences here.

Just unzip any where and point to the ffmpeg executable in the plugin settings.

The max my internet can get is 8/9Mbps(wifi will try the lan cable). Is 8/9Mbps enough to get 720HD with out buffering?

Yes, depending on the source being able to provide the HD stream at the time.

HattrickNZ wrote: »
    big thanks to zakalibit this is a great add on !! And I have just come accross it.

Just some questions:

The plugin does not care if it is behind vpn, not sure about the rte service itself, normally live streams are geo-restricted

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies.
    Just a follow up on this, with new questions in bold.

I have got this working behind a different dns to my isp. I am not sure if this is just the international player content that I am seeing when it comes to the on demand content, but i think it is, as I cannot find "dragons den" episodes.
    With the live streaming, this is working, but I had to install ffmpeg, to see RT 1, RT 2 and RT Jr and they all work, but again it will be interesting to see if I can stream the euros16 coming up. that would be great.

2 - I can only stream rte news in the live section, so what do i have to do to get rte1,2?
    what i plan to do is download the static ffmpeg from here - ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/. But I am on windows so not sure what to do once I unzip it. Do I have to install anything? Or do i just the files in a certain directory, and then point at this dir in the settings of the addon? As pointed out here - zakalibit.github.io/kodi.rteplayer.hq/ under "RT Live Streams".

As above I have got this working installing ffmpeg for my windows machine and just poing at the .exe. How do i do this on my android machine? Or can it be done on my android machine? On my android machine it curerntly works except for RT 1, RT 2 and RT Jr.

3 - this is HD content 720, anyhow. Is this actually better than the actual rteplayer.ie? Also I noticed A lot of buffereing for the live content and the on demad content. Bu I am not sure if this is the content or my internet connection? The max my internet can get is 8/9Mbps(wifi will try the lan cable). Is 8/9Mbps enough to get 720HD with out buffering? Or is there more to it? Appreciate others experiences here.

the live steams seems to be HD720 and this to me seems better than the rteplayer.ie in the browser. I did notice a bit of buffering on the live stream. I even notice it watching the on demand content. But the hd stream is no near as bad as the buffering on the bbc hd content. With the bbc content I have to move down to SD to stop the buffering, which I am happy enough with. But is there anything else I can do, about the buffering, other than changing the maxrate in the rte settings?

EDIT: how do I add quotes?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

Hi, to add a quote to your post, copy and paste the text in question then click the Quote icon above - its the sixteenth one from the left starting with the B (for Bold).

Ritz

The Ritz wrote: »
    Mod Comment:

Hi, to add a quote to your post, copy and paste the text in question then click the Quote icon above - its the sixteenth one from the left starting with the B (for Bold).

Ritz
    sent you a pm, as don't wanna get off track here, i don't see the quote option.tks

HattrickNZ wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Just a follow up on this, with new questions in bold.

I have got this working behind a different dns to my isp. I am not sure if this is just the international player content that I am seeing when it comes to the on demand content, but i think it is, as I cannot find "dragons den" episodes.
    With the live streaming, this is working, but I had to install ffmpeg, to see RT 1, RT 2 and RT Jr and they all work, but again it will be interesting to see if I can stream the euros16 coming up. that would be great.

As above I have got this working installing ffmpeg for my windows machine and just poing at the .exe. How do i do this on my android machine? Or can it be done on my android machine? On my android machine it curerntly works except for RT 1, RT 2 and RT Jr.

the live steams seems to be HD720 and this to me seems better than the rteplayer.ie in the browser. I did notice a bit of buffering on the live stream. I even notice it watching the on demand content. But the hd stream is no near as bad as the buffering on the bbc hd content. With the bbc content I have to move down to SD to stop the buffering, which I am happy enough with. But is there anything else I can do, about the buffering, other than changing the maxrate in the rte settings?

2. It does not work on android yet, I need to find some time to look in to this, I have a prototype, that is not quite working yet.

3. Buffering is either down to your network, or something in between rte and your network, any way chances that 720 content wont be available during that time is very high, as it happened before rte disabled 720 due to the high load on their pipe.

Try copy the attached file in to your kodi userdata folder, it might improve the buffering issue.

Just a FYI RTE Player on Plex Media Center http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057607067

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭sparks24

hi zakalibit, thanks for creating this add on its excellent. i'm having trouble with the new live tv feature you've added. i have a rpi 2 and 3 with openelec on both and neither is able to play the streams. the only thing that works is the audio on rte news now.

ive set the path for ffmpeg and turned off hardware acceleration and that but still no luck. the log states unplayable content. have you any ideas?

openelec 6.0.3 rteplugin 3.1

kodi has to be able to execute ffmpeg, i.e. the user that kodi runs on.
    if you do not see rte1, rte2, rtejr in the live section then for some reason ffmpeg executable can not be started, try avconv instead, or try run ffmpeg in console see if it starts ok.

rte has changed news now codec, so kodi can not digest it, I can push it through ffmpeg similar to other live streams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Something up with the Live steams no joy for last day or so? The catch-up stuff is working just the live bit is dead. I'm Windows 10 latest version. Thanks.

It looks like they have implemented a protection mechanism:
    Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://akamai.rasset.ie/hls-live/_definst_/rtejr.m3u8" on this server.
    Reference #18.646cd417.1465464837.492f75f

zakalibit wrote: »
    2. It does not work on android yet, I need to find some time to look in to this, I have a prototype, that is not quite working yet.

3. Buffering is either down to your network, or something in between rte and your network, any way chances that 720 content wont be available during that time is very high, as it happened before rte disabled 720 due to the high load on their pipe.

Try copy the attached file in to your kodi userdata folder, it might improve the buffering issue.

thanks for that, and thanks for the Plex Media Center, that is something I will look into.
    Re the userdata folder is this for windows is there something similar for android?
    Also will this work for buffering in general in kodi or just for the rte player?
    I notice the max settings in rte can be 4096Kbps live max bandwidth and 2048Kbps catchup-max bandwidth, are these related to any settings in the xml?

Also as Oasis1974 says above live streaming of these are not working for me now on my windows machine - rte1, rte2, rtejr.

thanks again.

• Advertisement

Also just for my reference or anyone else that is interested I have been looking into buffering:

Your settings:

<advancedsettings>
    <network>
    <buffermode>2</buffermode>
    <curlclienttimeout>30</curlclienttimeout>
    <cachemembuffersize>252420</cachemembuffersize>
    <readbufferfactor>5</readbufferfactor>
    </network>
    </advancedsettings>

Further reading on kodi buffering here
    Other settings I got from this link, which is slightly different to what you reccomend(I will look into this).

<advancedsettings>
    <network>
    <buffermode> 1 </buffermode>
    <readbufferfactor> 1.5 </readbufferfactor>
    <cachemembuffersize> 104857600 </cachemembuffersize>
    </network>
    </advancedsettings>

Other info:
    pressing o(whilst watching a video) brings up alot of parameters but of interest is the caching info. having worked out how to do this on my android yet.
    When I tried watching the rte streams and they were not working, it says to see the logs. Anyone know how to view these logs on wndows?

thanks for that, and thanks for the Plex Media Center, that is something I will look into.
    Re the userdata folder is this for windows is there something similar for android?
    Also will this work for buffering in general in kodi or just for the rte player?
    I notice the max settings in rte can be 4096Kbps live max bandwidth and 2048Kbps catchup-max bandwidth, are these related to any settings in the xml?

Also as Oasis1974 says above live streaming of these are not working for me now on my windows machine - rte1, rte2, rtejr.

thanks again.

I have a possible solution for the live streams :cool: will try to get something out before the soccer starts, is it not what you want it for ? :D

Live channels not functioning here also on Linux.

Ver. 3.1 installed

Live channels do not work on any version or platform, nothing to do with the plugin.
    Rte has changed security mechanism for live stream's playlist.

I have a potential fix for this, so no panic ;)

RTÉ Player HQ V3.1.1
    - fixed live streams

check http://zakalibit.github.io/kodi.rteplayer.hq for latest plugin version

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

installed rte player 3.11
    my report alone is not much use to you but rte 1 and 2 live stream seems to stop after about 2 mins. I tried it a couple of times on each channel . You can click on rte1 or 2 to restart.
    great work as always. lets see what others report back.
    Thanks for your professional work and friendly feedback.

could be many reasons for that behavior, but I do not think rte is dropping the connection intentionally after 2 mins.

I left mine running to see if it does the same.

RTÉ Player HQ V3.1.1
    - fixed live streams

check http://zakalibit.github.io/kodi.rteplayer.hq for latest plugin version

Ran RTÉ 1 for 9 mins and RTÉ2 for ~15 mins.
    All good.
    RTÉ2 did stutter and buffer for a short time, but picked up again.

All seems good :D

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭sparks24

kodi has to be able to execute ffmpeg, i.e. the user that kodi runs on.
    if you do not see rte1, rte2, rtejr in the live section then for some reason ffmpeg executable can not be started, try avconv instead, or try run ffmpeg in console see if it starts ok.

rte has changed news now codec, so kodi can not digest it, I can push it through ffmpeg similar to other live streams.

cheers, 3.1.1 works fine on openelec now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

this message was previously about youtub-dl not relevant to his thread so please ignore.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement