Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"irish TV" player on xbmc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Zakalibit, it works really well in fairness

A live TV option would be the icing on the cake for it but even just for the playback facility it is much better than the RTEPlayer.apk that I have been using within Kodi

Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭zakalibit

Zakalibit, it works really well in fairness

A live TV option would be the icing on the cake for it but even just for the playback facility it is much better than the RTEPlayer.apk that I have been using within Kodi

Well done :)

The live stream is not that simple, it looks like is protected by an authentication mechanism, so it might take some time, so for now the extra feature I can add is search option

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

zakalibit wrote: »
    The live stream is not that simple, it looks like is protected by an authentication mechanism, so it might take some time, so for now the extra feature I can add is search option

Thanks ...... what I have tried works very well and if the search works as well that will be a welcome addition.

IMO there is no point adding some function (Live TV?) that might crap out in a few weeks from now. Be better not to include it IMO.

Hopefully you can figure out how to include Live TV ...... when available I look forward to using it.

Thanks for this plugin ;)

I have implemented search function, it is similar to the smart tv plugin, I noticed that it wont search everything that is available, the same on smart tv, I might come up with a fix for this in the future.

Just a FYI, the streams are available outside Ireland in the plugin, at least tested from Holland, not sure if it is the whole content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 vitony

I get a 404 error on the link provided. Any solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭william

many thanks for this. works brilliantly.

FYI: I have migrated the plugins repository to https://github.com/zakalibit/kodi.rteplayer.hq
    the old one has a version that will upgrade to this new repository.
    For the new installs go to the new repository, as well I put together a simple what and how-to site here https://github.com/zakalibit/kodi.rteplayer.hq

There is few new improvements coming down the pipeline, I do not have any etas, so keep tuned.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Zilog

FYI: I have migrated the plugins repository to https://github.com/zakalibit/kodi.rteplayer.hq
    Nice work zakalibit! Using on Wetek Play (from Bargain Alerts thread).
    Icon style for the plugin doesn't really fit with default Confluence skin on Kodi though, so added my own to the plugin. My first venture into plugin modification! Included background fanart too.
    I've attached if you want to use. Thanks again for the plugin.

Download: RTE Player HQ artwork

• Advertisement

Will take a look when I have time.

icon&fanart changed, there is a new zip version

I finally managed to get time and do some more reverse engineering of the official rte player, as a result I got live streams working for the RTE1 and RTE2.
    Unfortunately they do not work that smoothly on kodi for some reason. What I had to do, is to implement a descrambling/decoding service, that decodes the stream, as kodi can not playback aes-128 encoded hls stream it self, it is actually ffmpeg that kodi is using, as well it struggles with the decoded stream, that my service produces.

I know that the problem is kodi/ffmpeg, as vlc plays just fine if I pipe the stream to vlc through my service.

So here is a beta version https://github.com/zakalibit/kodi.rteplayer.hq/raw/master/plugin.video.rteplayer.hq/plugin.video.rteplayer.hq-2.0.0-beta.zip

I have not updated repository info, so it does not get pushed automatically as an update, so if you're brave enough install it manually and give it a go.

Please report any bugs you find here on the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Fantastic work zakalibit, we all appreciate it - will try this over the weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bkeane

Installed onto a kodi 16 of windows 10 and neither RTE One or Two would work

bkeane wrote: »
    Installed onto a kodi 16 of windows 10 and neither RTE One or Two would work

could you please send me kodi logs? put them somewhere on the pastebin
    as well could you try start kodi, the leave kodi running, minimize it and start vlc, in vlc open http://localhost:7001/rte1

Kodi attempted to play both RTE1 and RTE2, but was not fluid on either.
    In fact it seemed to store/buffer part of the stream and then had a tendency to jump back and replay what had already been played.

Be aware that my connection is not fast .... 5 to 6 Mb/s

I tried also using VLC, and it played both.

It seems that the resolution it produces is 1024x578

I am using Linux.

I tried different kodi settings and it seems that sometimes disabled hardware decoding makes it better.
    So it looks like it needs to be transcoded in to something that kodi can digest, can be probably done if there is vlc installed on the system, i.e. it might work on linux/android/windows.

I'll actually try record a sample file and send it to kodi developers, see what they have to say.

What format is the stream received in originally?

it is hls aes-128 encoded, so kodi nether can aes-128 decode, nor playback decoded stream.
    vlc struggles with decoding, but plays well decoded stream, from my experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bkeane

could you please send me kodi logs? put them somewhere on the pastebin
    as well could you try start kodi, the leave kodi running, minimize it and start vlc, in vlc open http://localhost:7001/rte1

Here is what i found in the kodi log file in relation to rteplayer

14:26:36 T:2220 ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
    - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
    Error Type: <type 'exceptions.ImportError'>
    Error Contents: No module named Crypto.Cipher
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "Roaming\Kodi\addons\plugin.video.rteplayer.hq\service.py", line 26, in <module>
    import rtestreamer as RTEStreamer
    File "build/plugin.video.rteplayer.hq/resources/site-packages/rtestreamer.py", line 7, in <module>
    ImportError: No module named Crypto.Cipher
    -->End of Python script error report<--

you need pycrypto module installed, google for how to do it on windows, I do not have a windows machine, sorry.

this the media information as reported by vlc

this the media information as reported by kodi

Is that not the VLC output? :D

Is that not the VLC output? :D

yes, sorry

Another try https://github.com/zakalibit/kodi.rteplayer.hq/raw/master/plugin.video.rteplayer.hq/plugin.video.rteplayer.hq-2.0.1-beta.zip

added all available bitrates, 360 is more or less consumable

another thing I found is that I had missing vaapi driver, I started kodi from the console and I got few hints from there.

on ubuntu like systems it can be installed like this:
    sudo apt-get install i965-va-driver libva-intel-vaapi-driver vainfo

but it did not make any difference for me.

I get
    libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib64/dri/i965_drv_video.so

which fails because there is no such file on this system.
    $ locate -i i965
    /usr/lib64/dri/i965_dri.so

I suspect there might be something happening with the reception of the stream itself.
    I was monitoring my download while operating Kodi and it was all over the place ...... from zero to about 750KB ...... while at the same time the channel was stopping and repeating segments as before.

I don't know enough about this stuff to make any suggestions, sorry :(

After installing a couple of vaapi packages from the repo I get this
    $ kodi
    libva info: VA-API version 0.38.1
    libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
    libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib64/dri/i965_drv_video.so
    libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_34
    libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
    WARNING: Invalid reference frame!!!

and the output is definitely a little better.
    Not a lot though as it still stalls.

try disabling hw decoding in kodi, settings->video->acceleration

• Advertisement

try disabling hw decoding in kodi, settings->video->acceleration

Done ....... again a small improvement.

Here is a graph of the connection when watching RTE 1

connection.png

As you can see the download is dropping off to zero.
    I think this is what is causing the problems here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement