Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"irish TV" player on xbmc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭zakalibit

I'm not so sure, these gaps could be the time in between downloading the hls playlists, they look like:
    #EXTM3U
    #EXT-X-MEDIA-SEQUENCE:116937
    #EXT-X-ALLOW-CACHE:NO
    #EXT-X-VERSION:2
    #EXT-X-KEY:METHOD=AES-128,URI="https://www.rte.ie/hls-key/rte1.bin",IV=0X0da8bbe217ab7b23b7702147aeb31bd5
    #EXT-X-TARGETDURATION:8
    #EXTINF:8,
    ../../../hls-live/streams/events/_definst_/rte1/rte1-720Num116937.ts
    ../../../hls-live/streams/events/_definst_/rte1/rte1-720Num116938.ts
    ../../../hls-live/streams/events/_definst_/rte1/rte1-720Num116939.ts
    ../../../hls-live/streams/events/_definst_/rte1/rte1-720Num116940.ts
    ../../../hls-live/streams/events/_definst_/rte1/rte1-720Num116941.ts
    ../../../hls-live/streams/events/_definst_/rte1/rte1-720Num116942.ts

so the duration of each segment is 8 seconds, they can be downloaded faster then the actual their playback time length, so you'd have to wait for the reminder of time before you request the next playlist, otherwise you'd be getting the same one, see EXT-X-MEDIA-SEQUENCE, that number increments for every next playlist.

so kodi service I created, does that, i.e. sleeps between playlist requests if they download faster, this could explain the traffic graph you see.

again somehow vlc plays it just fine

I think I nailed it down:
    https://github.com/zakalibit/kodi.rteplayer.hq/raw/master/plugin.video.rteplayer.hq/plugin.video.rteplayer.hq-2.0.2-beta.zip

did not do any extensive testing, but it looks like kodi is happy now.

I have refreshed the zip, as I had a typo in the code that was breaking the streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Tried with and without hardware acceleration with similar results.

I get the channel to display, and watching the download on the connection, it downloads for a period (EDIT: about 16 secs I think); the down speeds drops to zero and never rises again ..... the channel display quits or the CPU is hammered with one core going to 100% and temp rising by 15C or so, until I click the Stop button.

Sorry but essentially it is worse here than the previous version. ;)

connection1.png

Grab that zip again, I fixed a typo that makes the stream to drop.

• Advertisement

zakalibit wrote: »
    Grab that zip again, I fixed a typo that makes the stream to drop.

Failed to install ....... tried several times ..... even uninstalled the older one.

OK, that is much better on the download side of things.

connection2.png

Unfortunately I am not getting smooth video ...... audio seems ok.

I have tried without hardware accel and the video stops and starts while the audio continues.

With hardware accel I got frozen video ..... but will need to do a few more tests to be sure of that.

I should add that streaming non-live video using the plugin works fine .......

connection3.png

Juts a FYI, this beta plugin wont work on android boxes, I'll do some rework to fix this, as I'm curious to see how it will work on android, since they have different hw acceleration that might make a difference.

• Advertisement

RTE Player HQ updated to V1.2.0
    - some shows would not play as they do not have a hls url, fallback to rtmp implemented
    - rest api caching implemented for better user experience

it should update automatically, if not force it or download the latest zip from http://zakalibit.github.io/kodi.rteplayer.hq/

RTE Player HQ updated to V1.2.1
    - added RTE News Now live stream

it should update automatically, if not try manual update, or download the latest zip from http://zakalibit.github.io/kodi.rteplayer.hq/

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

This is brilliant work zakalbit, looking forward to see if you can get the other RTE streams working too :) Your efforts are appreciated by all of us :D:D:D

RTE Player HQ updated to V1.2.1
    - added RTE News Now live stream

it should update automatically, if not try manual update, or download the latest zip from http://zakalibit.github.io/kodi.rteplayer.hq/

I tried it last night ..... did manual update from a Beta version.

I had no difficulties at all this time.

RTE News Now streaming without difficulty.
    Hopefully the other live channels will also be possible.
    Watched a couple of episodes of series also without any difficulty.

The only other thing I missed was a recording function ... I would have liked to record the Centenary event for others to view later.

I like the background pic changing with mouse over selections.

Great result!

and a big Thank You ;)

Thanks for reconsigning my work ;) that I enjoy anyway, as well I'd like to say thanks to those that have donated through the website donate button, I do not have any mercantile intentions with this plugin, but it is still pleasant to get few bobs.

The other life streams are in the pipeline, the main problem is that kodi can not digest these streams, the only player on linux that plays them without hiccups is mplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

I just downloaded a guide and uktvnow, put all the irish channels on the top of the guide and voila. Good live TV

I tried it last night ..... did manual update from a Beta version.

I had no difficulties at all this time.

RTE News Now streaming without difficulty.
    Hopefully the other live channels will also be possible.
    Watched a couple of episodes of series also without any difficulty.

The only other thing I missed was a recording function ... I would have liked to record the Centenary event for others to view later.

I like the background pic changing with mouse over selections.

Great result!

and a big Thank You ;)

Not a bad idea with recording, recording as such is not a problem at all.

I just downloaded a guide and uktvnow, put all the irish channels on the top of the guide and voila. Good live TV

That is an android app, not usable on other platforms, as well not sure how legal is that, my plugin streams only what is available from the official rte website.

Thanks for reconsigning my work ;) that I enjoy anyway, as well I'd like to say thanks to those that have donated through the website donate button, I do not have any mercantile intentions with this plugin, but it is still pleasant to get few bobs.

The other life streams are in the pipeline, the main problem is that kodi can not digest these streams, the only player on linux that plays them without hiccups is mplayer.

Could you provide me with one of those stream RTE URIs (by pm if you don't want to post it) -- I would like to play around with it when I get time.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

what makes you think that this is dash? it is aes-128 encrypted hls see 3.4.4 in https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pantos-http-live-streaming-13#page-7

I see .... there are separate streams for the higher res
    http://cdn.rasset.ie/hls-live/_definst_/rte1/rte1-720.m3u8

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭Worztron

@zakalibit Thank you for making this excellent RTE player Kodi addon. Kudos!

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

RTE Player HQ updated to V2.1.0
    - added RTE1 and RTE2 live streams (works only on linux/unix, needs ffmpeg, or avconv installed on the system)

it should update automatically, if not try manual update, or download the latest zip from http://zakalibit.github.io/kodi.rteplayer.hq

It updated automatically.

I tried both RTÉ1 & 2

Both worked well ...... very well ..... 720 streams.

RTÉ2 was not as perfect as RTÉ1 ..... I had a couple of stutters in the first minute, but all seemed to be ok after.

Just one quick test is all I had time for .... RTÉ1 for about 9 mins and RTÉ2 for about 6 mins.

Excellent result and great streams.

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

RTE Player HQ updated to V2.1.0
    - added RTE1 and RTE2 live streams (works only on linux/unix, needs ffmpeg, or avconv installed on the system)

it should update automatically, if not try manual update, or download the latest zip from http://zakalibit.github.io/kodi.rteplayer.hq

working perfectly under OpenElec. Fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭Worztron

Also works perfectly on Linux Mint 17.3.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

it should work on any linux/unix like platform as long as there is ffmpeg/avcon binary available.

• Advertisement

RTÉ Player HQ updated to V2.1.1
    - fixed windows platform detection, should fix errors on startup
    - added rte live epg
    - added rte live icons
    - few minor fixes and improvements

I looked a bit in to making live streams working on windows, the main show stopper now is that pycrypto is not available on windows by default, need to think of a solution that works out of the box

I'm not sure about epg stability, as I used a free app engine service, for a caching proxy, so that the plugin will not hammer the original source.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement