Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pyrite in Bettystown

Options
  • 13-05-2015 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi guys,

Really hoping someone can help but just in the last few stages of buying a new house in Whitefield Manor, Bettystown. We were looking to get a pyrite free cert from the builder but we haven't received one. We did get a letter to say they can confirm the house is pyrite free (of course it is now, its a new build!) and the materials they purchased were sourced from where there has been no reports of pyrite.

This might not be an issue if there has been no evidence of pyrite in the area or the estate but it is a big decision so we want to cover all areas as much as possible.

Anyone hear or experience any pyrite issues in Bettystown or in Whitefield manor?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Hi Ciara,

This thread might help:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056606968

I am not an expert or a professional engineer but if I was in your position I would ask for a green cert from a registered engineering company issued in compliance with IS398. If the house is a new build with no floors laid its a relatively easy job to take a core test and refill the holes in the slab. You will have to wait a few weeks for the results but at least you will have peace of mind.

It might be worthwhile speaking to your solicitor about the possibility of going sale agreed subject to a green cert being issued.

There is the issue of who is going to pay for it - you or the builder but given the financial commitment you are undertaking, in your situation I would pay for the test myself if necessary. Pyrite is not something you want to be dealing with a few years down the road.

Again I am not an expert and this is an internet forum so this is just my personal advice and you should seek professional advice if you are concerned about the possibility of pyrite either from your solicitor or a structural engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Im a local and while im no expert . I believe the houses to a very high standard . The only thing to watch out for is when does the builder plan on finishing off the estate , From what i have seen , The estate still has no street lights (8 years on ). The residents have been promised street lights for years

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Amidoman

Hi.

I'm in a similar situation buying in the same estate. There is little information available online so I did not know about street lights etc. They charge the maintenance fees but they don't provide basic things like the lighting in the estate?
    This is a bad surprise to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭uli84

Was about to buy there a year ago but didn't, looks like the prices went up a good bit

uli84 wrote: »
    Was about to buy there a year ago but didn't, looks like the prices went up a good bit

There solid houses only issue is the fees . Charging fees for no lights to to the resident s for the last 8 years while they look at a derelict building site. I would make sure if buying there ll be no fees till estate is finished

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

castle2012 wrote: »
    There solid houses only issue is the fees . Charging fees for no lights to to the resident s for the last 8 years while they look at a derelict building site. I would make sure if buying there ll be no fees till estate is finished

I haven't been up to that estate in years....it used to be classed as an unfinished/ghost estate so you didn't have to pay property tax/household charge. Is that still the case?

Millem wrote: »
    I haven't been up to that estate in years....it used to be classed as an unfinished/ghost estate so you didn't have to pay property tax/household charge. Is that still the case?

I think any new houses are excempt for a few years as far as I know

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

castle2012 wrote: »
    I think any new houses are excempt for a few years as far as I know

Any property sold in ghost estates had to apply for an exemption by the 1st of May 2013 (when the LPT was brought in). This exemption carries until the 31st October 2016- which is when all properties are to be revalued for the purpose of LPT calculations. It is thought there will be few, if any, exemptions- other than those classified as exempt under the Act, after this date (this would include Special Needs Accommodation, Certain types of social housing, some housing provided by special bodies (both public and privately held)) etc etc.

So- best case scenario- you get until 31st Oct. 2016- its unlikely to carry after this- and its only for property that was first sold up to the 1st of May 2013- it doesn't cover newly completed property. (note- if the property was first sold prior to the 1st of May- the exemption carries to a subsequent purchaser).

I would ask why is the ber so bad on the 3beds? It is a d1???
    The 4beds are c1 and 5 beds are A rated.

Prob cause there block built with no solar panels or energy saving boilers etc , I would imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Ciara710

As far as I'm aware the 4beds are B1 BER rated.

The D1 and C1 on the daft posting is the house type not the BER rating, if you get a brochure you will see there is about ten different house types in total.

All new builds now have solar panel/ extra insulation

Ciara710 wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware the 4beds are B1 BER rated.

The D1 and C1 on the daft posting is the house type not the BER rating, if you get a brochure you will see there is about ten different house types in total.

All new builds now have solar panel/ extra insulation

Ahhhh! I was thinking something wasn't right there!!! ;)
    We live in a 30 year old house that is c3 and is very bog standard in terms of insulation etc

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

Ask for a cert from the stone supplier and the builder specifically stating there is no Pyrite or that the stone was drawn from a Pyrite free quarry

Advertisement