Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saddles - Some Advice Please

• 13-05-2015 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

I have both a Cube Agree and a Giant TCX.
    The saddle on the Giant is a 133 Giant Performance Mens saddle and a 133 Selle Italia X1 on the Cube Agree. I had the sit bone measurement done twice and they said that I should be on a 143 saddle. I can cycle long distances on the Giant saddle with no issues but after even 30km on the Selle Italia X1, it gets very sore and I am constatly fiiddling about trying to get comfortable on the saddle.
    Would moving up to a 143 make that much difference and what recommendations do people have ?
    It is mainly for sportives and the likes of the Wicklow 200 as I don't race (at least not in official races !!).
    The bike shop recommended a Specialized Romin Evo Expert at €125.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Effective saddle widths can vary quite a bit between brands and models for the same theoretical width.

The giant may have more of its width usable - perhaps it doesn't go down as much at the edges. Who knows, I can never tell if a saddle will be comfortable apart from by spending 100km on it.

The point I'm badly trying to make is that I wouldn't put too much credence in the fact that the two saddles are theoretically the same width. If you feel like your sit bones are falling off the edges of the Sella Italia then try a wider saddle. If I remember right Specialized Romin's size narrow for their theoretical width ( I have one, and a Specialized Toupe), so it may not feel that much wider than the Giant 133.

Can you try it with an agreement to return it if it doesn't work for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Is it possible to get another of the same model Giant saddle and stick it on your Cube? Should be less room for error trying to find a new saddle then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

quozl - Yes, according to the shop that is what they do. If you buy a saddle and are not happy with it, you can exchange it until you get one that you like. The problem is that the sjop in question only appear to do Specialized saddles so I would be limiting my choice.

xebec - That was what I was thinking of doing alright but I have not seen the saddle sold in any LBS around so may have to go online. I am still a little confused whether to get it in a 143 though as that was what was my recommended size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

Get to a different shop with a bum-o-meter thing to get a second opinion on the sit bone measurement. If it comes up the same then a 143 is a safe enough bet. And it would just be the shape then to zone in on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

The X1 is quite spongey I think? The 2014 Giant saddles at least look a lot more solid.

I'm open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

The X1 is quite spongey I think? The 2014 Giant saddles at least look a lot more solid.

I'm open to correction.
    I found the X1 to be very hard. couldn't tolerate it after a few months.

you can measure your seat bones at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

I don't know where you are based, but have you tried these guys? http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-IE/

I think they are the distributor for Giant in Ireland, so they should certainly know if the 133 Giant Performance Mens saddle is available and whether there is a retailer near you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Smokeyskelton, that's brilliant, thanks for that. I will check it out.

I find the X1 to be really hard. I have given it about 3 months to get used to but it still hurts.

Advertisement