Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eFibre availability Turlough Co. Mayo

Options
  • 13-05-2015 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hi there,

With the exchange in Ballyvarry, Co. Mayo currently undergoing a Fibre upgrade over the past couple of weeks. I am curious when the connected Cabinet at Turlough will be connected up / upgraded to VDSL, its status says its planned. 
    Work was being carried out some 3 weeks ago to lay Fibre and route it from Ballyvarry to the new marked position in Turlough, however I think this has only gone about half way of the 5km as evident in me seeing workers and the ground Access points being filled back in after routing through the cable.

Do you know when the Cabinet will be upgraded? Is it normally at the same time the Exchange goes live? 
    Also given the population density is situated 1km from the proposed VDSL cabinets location do you know if this will be final access point to fibre from the two estates Millwood and Leckneen aswell as the village itself or will FTTH be implemented as 1km distance is a considerable distance to expect fibre speeds.

Would appreciate any information you can supply.
    Thanks in advance,
    Nick.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi there,

With the exchange in Ballyvarry, Co. Mayo currently undergoing a Fibre upgrade over the past couple of weeks. I am curious when the connected Cabinet at Turlough will be connected up / upgraded to VDSL, its status says its planned. 
    Work was being carried out some 3 weeks ago to lay Fibre and route it from Ballyvarry to the new marked position in Turlough, however I think this has only gone about half way of the 5km as evident in me seeing workers and the ground Access points being filled back in after routing through the cable.

Do you know when the Cabinet will be upgraded? Is it normally at the same time the Exchange goes live? 
    Also given the population density is situated 1km from the proposed VDSL cabinets location do you know if this will be final access point to fibre from the two estates Millwood and Leckneen aswell as the village itself or will FTTH be implemented as 1km distance is a considerable distance to expect fibre speeds.

Would appreciate any information you can supply.
    Thanks in advance,
    Nick.
    Hi zt-OctaviaN

I've discussed this with network planning who had advised me that at present there is no planned or agreed launch date scheduled for the cabinet planned for situation on the old Turlough road.

I have also raised your concerns considering the distance of the cabinet although I have been advised there are no other locations for cabinets planned yet (no FTTH planned either) and until launch we will be unable to advise what lines/specific areas of Turlough this will serve. 

I understand the level of information offered is at this moment quite vague and hopefully I can offer more information towards the end of July (when networks advised we may have more information on this)

Cheers
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

Thanks Alan!

Fingers crossed given the distance and the fact it is scheduled to be supplied by commerical operators by 2016 that FTTH will be considered.  ;)

Sad to here theres no concrete date. I have passed each day a similar setup in Balla town not to far away and the 'planned' cabinet has in fact had a big hole dug out near the post office (even though the exchange has a cab going in)   :(

If Eircom need any more FTTH trials then please consider Turlough!  :)

Kind Regards,
    Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Thanks Alan!

Fingers crossed given the distance and the fact it is scheduled to be supplied by commerical operators by 2016 that FTTH will be considered.  ;)

Sad to here theres no concrete date. I have passed each day a similar setup in Balla town not to far away and the 'planned' cabinet has in fact had a big hole dug out near the post office (even though the exchange has a cab going in)   :(

If Eircom need any more FTTH trials then please consider Turlough!  :)

Kind Regards,
    Nick
    No worries zt-OctaviaN

Fingers crossed I can offer you better news in the near future :)

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Just wanted to update here as a fibre cabinet was installed a month or so ago. Is there any date as to when the cab will be live seeing as the Ballyvary will be live before Xmas. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

statto25 wrote: »
    Just wanted to update here as a fibre cabinet was installed a month or so ago. Is there any date as to when the cab will be live seeing as the Ballyvary will be live before Xmas. Thanks
    Yip its there alright!  :D see attached.

@Eir Representative: Would you have any information on weather Fibre to the Home will be ran from the new VDSL cabinet up into the village population?

The demographics of the area for FTTH take up and future proofing would be very acceptable here.

The Village of Turlough just outside Castlebar contains 2 main estates and a further 25 seperate houses (approx) all right along the Eir ducting which leads straight towards the new VDSL Cabinet!
    The 2 estates contains collectively approximately 110 houses built circa 2004 and contain a mainly young population many with families.
    There are several businesses and a National Heritage Museum.
    3G/4G coverage in the area is Nill!

The estates contain ducting as there is no overhead lines.
    Everything is in place!  :)  Whats the scope for FTTH?
    The cabinet lies 950m east from the village - by my calculation would that serve the minimum 30Mbps set out by the communications minister?

Regards,
    Nick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭eir: Tony

Hi Guys
    the only information we have at the moment is available on our where and when map here http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

eir: Tony wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    the only information we have at the moment is available on our where and when map here http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/
    Tony

Thanks Tony. The cabinet is installed whereas the map says it's planned so I figured it wasn't being updated.

Advertisement