Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Economics 2015 ... predictions, guesses and discussion.

• 04-05-2015 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I think maybe Oligopoly and perfect competition, kinked demand curve hasnt been asked since 2011 and perfect competition hasnt been up for a while.
    I think enterprise for factor of production.
    But study everything because nothing is guaranteed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Codswapple wrote: »
    I think maybe Oligopoly and perfect competition, kinked demand curve hasnt been asked since 2011 and perfect competition hasnt been up for a while.
    I think enterprise for factor of production.
    But study everything because nothing is guaranteed!

Sorry just realised youre looking for home economics nevermind.

On the topic of Economics, I wouldn't be surprised if they left out factors of production and put in Costs instead. It seems that everyone just learns off the micro section, and the chiefs probably want that changed a bit and put in three questions instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

On the topic of Economics, I wouldn't be surprised if they left out factors of production and put in Costs instead. It seems that everyone just learns off the micro section, and the chiefs probably want that changed a bit and put in three questions instead.

How do people who skip the entire macro section do the short questions o_O? Imo Banking and National Income are pretty great questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

Kremin wrote: »
    How do people who skip the entire macro section do the short questions o_O? Imo Banking and National Income are pretty great questions.

international trade is easy aswell, NI, trade, money and banking + inflation theres macro done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

I do Economics outside school and just do grinds and had only studied micro for the mocks. Had no problems with the short questions. However I'll be studying all micro and national Income, Internatonal trade and the Economists for the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭oktplz

Does anyone's teacher give them a fact sheet of all the latest economic figures? Or where do you guys source them? Struggling majorly to get up to date facts on everything! What stats is it good to know?

• Advertisement

oktplz wrote: »
    Does anyone's teacher give them a fact sheet of all the latest economic figures? Or where do you guys source them? Struggling majorly to get up to date facts on everything! What stats is it good to know?

cso.ie is good as its all irish, honestly from now until the leaving cert just look at the economic news

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy

cso.ie is good as its all irish, honestly from now until the leaving cert just look at the economic news

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy

perfect, thanks a mil! I'll take a look at that now. :)

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/cpi/consumerpriceindexmarch2015/#.VVNHhPlVhBc
    Probably a good idea to know why deflation is a negative economic variable and how the EU/Ireland are trying to combat it.
    Feel like a question on inflation will come up this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Avengergirl

Hi all, I'm new here so I hope this hasn't been asked recently ( can't find it if it has)
    I am sitting the higher level Economics paper in June and I'm in a panic now as this is really the last couple of weeks I can study it before concentrating all on Maths and English.

My teacher is useless...she hasn't a clue and confuses us when she tries to explain...I got the C1 in the mocks but everyone said it was marked too easy ( it was sent away) and this makes me feel even more nervous. We use the new text book which is good but very long and I'm using examinations.ie for solutions.

Are there any good websites for revision?

I would appreciate some solid advice and if there are any resources online that I could use. I'm hoping to do 3 micro and 1 macro so any predictions would be gratefully appreciated.
    Thanks everyone.
    Avengergirl :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

+1 on keeping up with the economic news. I think the Times only lets you read 10 free articles per week now (per device) so don't click random articles :p If you're committed enough to subscribe online for a month, you might aswell ditch the Times and subscribe to the Business Post.
    Blue giant wrote: »
    A bit like in England where the Tories won by a majority despite being almost level with labour in the polls.

In fairness, the UK election polls were pretty accurate. They only look at percentage of votes. Votes don't always convert to seats and seats win elections. I think the polls had both Labour and Tories at 34% each and in the end, I think Tories got 36% and Labour 31% (roughly) but Tories still got more than 50% of the seats. UKIP for example got 12% of votes but only one seat out of 650 and the Lib Dems 8% and 8 seats. There wasn't really much lying going on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 juru

Rapid revsion is an excellent revision book that splits course into macro and micro.Studyclix on line has a good forum and advice,spark notes has all teh headings and definitions. good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

I found looking at marking schemes to be by far the most useful strategy. To emphasise, I don't mean that going through marking schemes is a useful way of revising once you've learnt the material. I mean that I found it more beneficial to learn from the marking schemes than from the text book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

A1 LC Economics student here. Learn all the micro chapters inside out, do Trade, National Income and Govt policy. Have a general knowledge of the rest and know definitions from everywhere.

Go to CSO.ie and get relevant statistics like inflation rates, unemployment rates etc.

For long q's, learn the headings to each answer but don't try rote learn the explanation, you will drive yourself insane

Mostly, just try understand and not rote learn. PM me if you want any help.

One of the economic objectives of the goverment is to achieve equilibrium balance of payments - where imports are roughly equal to exports. But on the cso website, it says ireland has been in surplus of 3425000 euro. Am I reading the right stat or are we totally living beyond our means?

oktplz wrote: »
    One of the economic objectives of the goverment is to achieve equilibrium balance of payments - where imports are roughly equal to exports. But on the cso website, it says ireland has been in surplus of 3425000 euro. Am I reading the right stat or are we totally living beyond our means?

It's because we have so many foreign companies here exporting through us, that and we are heavily heavily dependant on exports anyway.
    Ireland is ranked the 3rd most globalised country in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Wouldn't a balance of payments surplus of circa €3.5m be pretty damn near equilibrium? ... and on the right side of the line too?

#notaneconomist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Yeah Randy is pretty much right. On a macro scale, 3 million is pocket money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

YAY!!! Gimme my A1!! :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Can you check your units, oktplz? It's probably in thousands of euro. €3.whatever billion sounds more right(assuming its monthly and not annual). Anyway, BOP is rarely equal.

thelad95 wrote: »
    A1 LC Economics student here. Learn all the micro chapters inside out, do Trade, National Income and Govt policy. Have a general knowledge of the rest and know definitions from everywhere.

Go to CSO.ie and get relevant statistics like inflation rates, unemployment rates etc.

For long q's, learn the headings to each answer but don't try rote learn the explanation, you will drive yourself insane

Mostly, just try understand and not rote learn. PM me if you want any help.
    other user has summed it up really,
    do all micro questions, we will assume 3, that leaves one macro to do im covering: trade, national income, money and banking, economists, inflation and economic growth. Im expecting to be able to do 2 macro and have a choice on the day

• Advertisement

Nim wrote: »
    Can you check your units, oktplz? It's probably in thousands of euro. €3.whatever billion sounds more right(assuming its monthly and not annual). Anyway, BOP is rarely equal.

Ah yes I understand it now, it was on thousand euros and that for some reason was just not clicking with me tonight :P thanks guys :)

This is a fantastic forum...I swear I've learned more here since I've posted than I learned all year in Economics class.. thanks so much. Went into town yesterday morning to see if they had the rapid revision book but she said they're sold out but will try to order me one. I'm sure someone in school has it if I'm stuck.

Micro is coming together but the macro just seems daunting...

thelad95 and RoRo79....where do you start with an inflation question? and since it's negative ( just checked the CSO ...thanks for the tip) what could they ask? Consequences of a low inflation ( is that deflation)...seems like college stuff..

Not sure if you have been chatting about the water charges..I got 4 out of 16 on a section A consequences question in my mock and I really cant see where I went wrong...still make sense to me...any advice anyone?

Thanks!

This is a fantastic forum...I swear I've learned more here since I've posted than I learned all year in Economics class.. thanks so much. Went into town yesterday morning to see if they had the rapid revision book but she said they're sold out but will try to order me one. I'm sure someone in school has it if I'm stuck.

thelad95 and RoRo79....where do you start with an inflation question? and since it's negative ( just checked the CSO ...thanks for the tip) what could they ask? Consequences of a low inflation ( is that deflation)...seems like college stuff..

Not sure if you have been chatting about the water charges..I got 4 out of 16 on a section A consequences question in my mock and I really cant see where I went wrong...still make sense to me...any advice anyone?

Thanks!

deflation i believe is on our syllabus and i would definately learn it, just stuff like lower cost of living and whatnot.

as for the water charges i completely forget the question but i assume it was 2 arguments in favour/against or social cost/benefit. Off the top of my head i would do:-

in favour
    1) increased government revenue
    2) more efficient use of scarce recources

against:
    1)public unrest
    2)large initial capital investment.

of course elabrate on these on the day but is self explanitory imo

Thanks RoRo979...I'm sure I had something like this for my water charges answer too but maybe not...didn't think of the public unrest bit, thanks for that though as it will be easy to explain.

If it was social costs and social benefits you could still use the public unrest, right?... but what other points? and as for social benefits....environmental benefits...but what else? thanks..

I'm going to jump into the inflation chapter now and try to prepare a question on deflation/inflation.. if I can translate it at all!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Codswapple

Thanks RoRo979...I'm sure I had something like this for my water charges answer too but maybe not...didn't think of the public unrest bit, thanks for that though as it will be easy to explain.

If it was social costs and social benefits you could still use the public unrest, right?... but what other points? and as for social benefits....environmental benefits...but what else? thanks..

I'm going to jump into the inflation chapter now and try to prepare a question on deflation/inflation.. if I can translate it at all!! :)

Just to add more points about water charges;
    Advantages-
    pressure to improve the service so better water quality
    Govt planning- as it's a fixed changed
    Use if the revenue collected- help to achieve the govts social aims
    May force businesses to invest in new technologies that would reduce water consumption( not a great point but just if you remember it on the day)
    Doesn't act as a disincentive to work
    Temporary employment to install water meters, could argue this as a neg.

Negatives- what the other poster said and;
    Government popularity amongst votes, resulting in a vote of no confidence ( basically something more to add ontop of social unrest)
    High set up cost of installing water meters
    Annual increases and risk of privatisation of irish water

Thanks!

There was a few pages on inflation and deflation in our books so I'm sure they can ask it if they want.

Just think about it logically, if prices start falling you think it would be a good thing, but people start predicting and saying "Well, it feel by 1€ today so it might be even cheaper in a week!" thus spending is decreased.

Whereas if there's inflation people buy now anticipating price rises in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭expiiplus1

What is the difference between a social cost/benefit and an economic benefit? I understand the difference between a private/social benefit, but I'm finding it hard to wrap my mind round this one (especially since I'm of the view nearly everything boils down to economics). Thanks!

expiiplus1 wrote: »
    What is the difference between a social cost/benefit and an economic benefit? I understand the difference between a private/social benefit, but I'm finding it hard to wrap my mind round this one (especially since I'm of the view nearly everything boils down to economics). Thanks!

My understanding of it: may be wrong but...
    I think they're costs that arent to do with money, as in say... a new road was being built.. costs would be pollution, increasing global warming, destruction of landscape, possible loss of cultural heritage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Codswapple

Would anybody be interested in sharing topical parts of your notes just small parts nothing major and its handy maybe just to look the night before the exam?!

Interest rates- the cost of borrowing/return on saving. Controlled by ecb under their monetary policy power. Currently at a historic all time low of 0.5%

Affects of low interest rates:
    Borrowing is encouraged
    Saving isnt encouraged
    Lower mortgage repayments for those on trackr mortgages
    Lower cost of repaying the interest on national debt
    Lower government revenue through DIRT-currently 41%

• Advertisement

Thanks Kremin...that's a good tip for thinking about inflation/deflation. That's a good idea Codswapple...Here's a good one I got from a friend who got it from someone else...

Consequences of an increase in inflation (SWEETS)

Fall in the Standard of living
    Increase on Wage Demands from trade union
    Decrease in Employment levels
    Exports fall as our goods become more expensive
    Decrease in Tax Revenue as less people working
    Savings fall as incomes fall

And of course it works the other way for a decrease in inflation :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement