Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I built a tool to test what speed you should be getting on the Eircom Network.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It says an uptime of over 12 days but the connection does drop intermittently

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

{"speed": 11.72, "sync": {"down": 12.0, "up": 0.66}}
    4359799429.png

anything I can do?

I'd say that's perfectly within the margin of error of the api itself, all you could really do is check if you have filters on all phone jacks.
    Mc Love wrote: »
    It says an uptime of over 12 days but the connection does drop intermittently

I highly recommend you call vodafone, just say "your website says I can get 30mbps, but i'm only getting 11mbps", they'll sort it out if they can

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

4359813429.png

https://speedcheck.mikenny.com/ says 14.65. Worth calling Eircom over this ?

brianon wrote: »
    4359813429.png

https://speedcheck.mikenny.com/ says 14.65. Worth calling Eircom over this ?

Hi Brian can you post your DSL statistics found in your modem, if you are synced at 15mbps and speedtest is giving you 10mbps, it's likely congestion.

Hi Brian can you post your DSL statistics found in your modem, if you are synced at 15mbps and speedtest is giving you 10mbps, it's likely congestion.

This what your looking for ?
    Connection

DSL Mode : ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS)
    Speed: 12288 kbps/670 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 21.3 dB/ 12.0 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 6.8 dB/ 18.5 dB

*I will add that on the likes of steam I see 1.1mb download consistently but never more than 1.2.

• Advertisement

Yep, so it's not congestion, you're synced at 12mbps, and your line attenuation is plenty good for 15mbps, so check that you have filters on all of your phone jacks, your router probably found the connection unstable, and if that is not the issue maybe call Eircom, they might have you set at a lower sync.

Thanks. I've 3 phone jacks in the house. 2 have nothing connected. We've no phone in the house. So I can discount those right ? On the phone jack that's in use I have some Excelsus filter from eircom(i think) on it and then a 10 meter cable from that to the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thanks. I've 3 phone jacks in the house. 2 have nothing connected. We've no phone in the house. So I can discount those right ? On the phone jack that's in use I have some Excelsus filter from eircom(i think) on it and then a 10 meter cable from that to the router.

That 10m cable is most likely nuking your sync. Lose it and you'll do 15, maybe even 17Mb.

ED E wrote: »
    That 10m cable is most likely nuking your sync. Lose it and you'll do 15, maybe even 17Mb.

Would I be better with the router closer to the phone jack and then a longer ethernet cable?

*I think it's more like 3m actually of the phone cable from the filter to the router. Eh...what's that cable actually called ? And where would i get a good one ? The one I use is about 12 years old.

Yeah it doesn't matter if nothing is connected to it, but when you have more than one phone jack it can cause issues, the correct setup for multiple phone jacks and broadband is:
    Main Line into house -> filter/splitter -> ADSL jack.
                                            -> Phone jack -> Phone jack 1
                                                          -> Phone jack 2
                                                          -> Phone jack 3

Whereas most older homes do this:
    Main Line into house -> Phone jack 1 -> ADSL filter
                         -> Phone jack 2 -> ADSL filter
                         -> Phone jack 3 -> ADSL filter/splitter

And this really messes with the broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

So mine says 85.86, I am not even getting half that via speedtest..... What's my next step?

foxerv1 wrote: »
    So mine says 85.86, I am not even getting half that via speedtest..... What's my next step?

Hi foxerv1, please post your DSL statistics by logging on to your modem, details to login should be on the bottom of the modem.

Hi foxerv1, please post your DSL statistics by logging on to your modem, details to login should be on the bottom of the modem.

Will do as soon as I land home

Would I be better with the router closer to the phone jack and then a longer ethernet cable?

*I think it's more like 3m actually of the phone cable from the filter to the router. Eh...what's that cable actually called ? And where would i get a good one ? The one I use is about 12 years old.

Ethernet will give you the same speed at 100m and 2m, where as the flat phone cable (bell wire RJ11 terminated) you're using slows the sync down with every foot. So yes, thats exactly what you should do.

If you're replacing it buy CAT5 and crimp RJ11 connectors on the end, but really running ethernet is even better.

I really have no idea which setup I have. House was built in 2002.

What I know...
    -> Phone jack 1 -> nothing
               -> Phone jack 2 -> nothing
               -> Phone jack 3 -> ADSL filter/splitter (with just the ADSL to router connected/no phone

I grabbed a adsl cable from the attic there. A short 1m cable. Never been used (from an spare router we got from O2 years ago).

I moved the router closer to the Phone Jack and used the new adsl cable and a longer ethernet to the PC.

Speed Test was giving me weird results like 6mbps and 8mbps but I kicked off a steam download and it got up to 1.3MB/S. I've never seen (though that's not 100% proof it never happened) it go past 1.2 before so that's good start :)

Anything else I could do ?

I really have no idea which setup I have. House was built in 2002.

What I know...
    -> Phone jack 1 -> nothing
               -> Phone jack 2 -> nothing
               -> Phone jack 3 -> ADSL filter/splitter (with just the ADSL to router connected/no phone

I grabbed a adsl cable from the attic there. A short 1m cable. Never been used (from an spare router we got from O2 years ago).

I moved the router closer to the Phone Jack and used the new adsl cable and a longer ethernet to the PC.

Speed Test was giving me weird results like 6mbps and 8mbps but I kicked off a steam download and it got up to 1.3MB/S. I've never seen (though that's not 100% proof it never happened) it go past 1.2 before so that's good start :)

Anything else I could do ?

Read the line stats again. Your downstream SNR should be a chunk higher (every 3dB is a DOUBLING in received strength).

Before and after ?

Before
    DSL Mode :	ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS)
    Speed:	12288 kbps/670 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up):	21.3 dB/ 12.0 dB
    DSL Noise Margin:	6.8 dB/ 18.5 dB

After
    DSL Mode :	ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS)
    Speed:	12288 kbps/670 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up):	20.4 dB/ 10.6 dB
    DSL Noise Margin:	8.8 dB/ 19.7 dB

Excuse my igorence but I can't tell if this is an improvement.

Better. Was expecting a little higher still, but your internal wiring may a lil weak or there may be another source of RFI.

Loop length should be around 1500m, so normally that line would manage 17Mb no problem. If you call and have yourself set to 15Mb now your sync rate will jump up and your SNR will fall back to about 6.x which should be fine.

Better. Was expecting a little higher still, but your internal wiring may a lil weak or there may be another source of RFI.

Loop length should be around 1500m, so normally that line would manage 17Mb no problem. If you call and have yourself set to 15Mb now your sync rate will jump up and your SNR will fall back to about 6.x which should be fine.

Thanks. Much appreciated. So I just ring Eircom and tell them ... to set my sync rate ? Is that something they will do for me ?

Would it be tech support I'd be ringing ?

Yeah, call tech support and ask them to increase your profile up to the 15Mb one (its on 12 now). You can ask them to a linetest while you're at it just to make sure its not knackered.

• Advertisement

Yeah, call tech support and ask them to increase your profile up to the 15Mb one (its on 12 now). You can ask them to a linetest while you're at it just to make sure its not knackered.

Really appreciate this. Thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Barry5714

Currently getting 6MB on speedtest.net rang SKY about 3 months ago looking for speed increase they said it was not possible, when testing my number using your link it says i can get 14.65MB.

I was pretty sure my exchange was only ADSL can this app tell if an exchange is ADSL or ADSL2+ ????

Fiber due to go live this month which won't help me sadly.....

LINE STATS
    Connection Speed - 7168 kbps / 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation - 26.0 dB / 15.5 dB
    Noise Margin - 13.3 dB / 19.19 dB

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

App tells me 2.93Mbps

Speedtest says
    4360376887.png

My router stats
    DSL Modulation Type:ADSL_G.dmt
    Annex Type:Annex A/L
    Upstream Downstream
    Current Rate (Kbps) 256 2048
    Max Rate (Kbps) 1076 3360
    SNR Margin (dB) 14 15.5
    Line Attenuation (dB) 31.5 58.5

Should I be calling Vodafone or am I getting as good as can be expected?

dougal wrote: »
    App tells me 2.93Mbps

Speedtest says
    4360376887.png

My router stats
    DSL Modulation Type:ADSL_G.dmt
    Annex Type:Annex A/L
    Upstream Downstream
    Current Rate (Kbps) 256 2048
    Max Rate (Kbps) 1076 3360
    SNR Margin (dB) 14 15.5
    Line Attenuation (dB) 31.5 58.5

Should I be calling Vodafone or am I getting as good as can be expected?

They can step you up from 2_0.25 to 3_0.3. Worth the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

They can step you up from 2_0.25 to 3_0.3. Worth the call.

Great gonna call them and see how it goes after. Thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

{"speed": 9.77, "sync": {"down": 10.0, "up": 0.66}}
    This is mine on a 40 down 10 up connection

4360496180.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

So I was getting constant 67 down and 19.5 up for ages but now dropped off to 55 down and 18.8 up.
    These are according to SamKnows unit attached to my line.
    According to your speedcheck details I see

{"speed": 85.86, "sync": {"down": 90.0, "up": 20.0}}

Here is the details from the router.
    Line Status

Line standard VDSL2
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 71679
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 20478
    Downstream SNR (dB) 22.4
    Upstream SNR (dB) 11.8
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 8.9
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 3.1
    Downstream output power (dBmV) 12.6
    Upstream output power (dBmV) -13
    Downstream CRC 154
    Upstream CRC 58
    Downstream FEC 30
    Upstream FEC 3

Is it worth calling to see why I have dropped off recently?

If your modem is giving an accurate dSNR then you should be on 100_20.

Are you on wifi? It could just be 2.4Ghz noise limiting you.

Not exactly sure what you're looking for but here ya go:

VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
    Line Rate: 20.477 Mbps 98.867 Mbps
    Actual Net Data Rate: 20.478 Mbps 98.868 Mbps
    Trellis Coding: ON ON
    SNR Margin: 12.4 dB 10.5 dB
    Actual Delay: 0 ms 0 ms
    Transmit Power: -10.5 dBm 13.2 dBm
    Receive Power: -23.5 dBm 0.4 dBm
    Actual INP: 29.0 symbols 29.0 symbols
    Total Attenuation: 13.0 dB 12.7 dB
    Attainable Net Data Rate: 26.756 Mbps 102.428 Mbps
    ============================================================================
    VDSL Band Status U0 U1 U2 U3 D1 D2 D3
    Line Attenuation(dB): 2.9 16.6 24.1 N/A 9.6 21.4 34.5
    Signal Attenuation(dB): 2.9 15.9 23.0 N/A 9.5 21.3 34.6
    SNR Margin(dB): 12.4 12.4 12.5 N/A 10.4 10.4 10.3
    Transmit Power(dBm):-22.4 -13.1 -14.6 N/A 9.8 7.9 7.1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Your program says I should be getting 66.78Mbps
    I'm getting between 56.6Mbps and 57.1Mps

I'm 500 meters away from the nearest box, give or take 2 meters, if it makes a difference.

Advertisement