Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I built a tool to test what speed you should be getting on the Eircom Network.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Diagnostics on some, xDSL statistics on the VGM834 whatever (f1000).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭flutered

it is a zyxel eircom d1000 modem

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

flutered wrote: »
    it is a zyxel eircom d1000 modem

d720221222.png

You see connection down in the left hand corner, there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

In any case I recommend calling Eircom on Monday, and saying "Your website says I can get 50mbps, but I am only getting 4mbps", and they will sort it out for you.

When you say to tell eircom 'your website' what do you mean? What website?

sentient_6 wrote: »
    When you say to tell eircom 'your website' what do you mean? What website?

Eircom, Vodafone, Magnet, and most ISPs in the country have a feature on their website that can tell you what speed your line can get, all of these run off of Eircom's prequal api, speedcheck.mikenny.com also runs off of Eircom's prequal api, so the results will be exactly the same.

For example, if you are contacting Eircom, then say "the speed checker thingy on eircom.net told me I can get so and so mbps, but i'm only getting so and so mbps, would you mind running a line check on my line? and if you can, can you increase the speed on my line?"

I recommend saying this instead of saying "speedcheck.mikenny.com told me I could get so and so mbps" because if you say that, they might say something along the lines of "well that service is not affiliated with Eircom, only the one on Eircoms website is correct" even though they both run off of the same API and give back the same results.

• Advertisement

Eircom, Vodafone, Magnet, and most ISPs in the country have a feature on their website that can tell you what speed your line can get, all of these run off of Eircom's prequal api, speedcheck.mikenny.com also runs off of Eircom's prequal api, so the results will be exactly the same.

For example, if you are contacting Eircom, then say "the speed checker thingy on eircom.net told me I can get so and so mbps, but i'm only getting so and so mbps, would you mind running a line check on my line? and if you can, can you increase the speed on my line"

I've recently switched from eircom to sky. I've search and searched eircoms website and cannot find a line checker other than to see if fibre is in the area. Vodafone says 24. Sky said I should be getting up to 7 when I switched. A eircom engineer mentioned that figure when the line was installed a year ago.

speedcheck.mikenny.com says 19.54Mbps. The rounter settings has down speed of 7. I never ever get anything better than 2 - 2.5. Will sky actually do anything or will eircom actually listen to them if I call?

I've recently switched from eircom to sky. I've search and searched eircoms website and cannot find a line checker other than to see if fibre is in the area. Vodafone says 24. Sky said I should be getting up to 7 when I switched. A eircom engineer mentioned that figure when the line was installed a year ago.

speedcheck.mikenny.com says 19.54Mbps. The rounter settings has down speed of 7. I never ever get anything better than 2 - 2.5. Will sky actually do anything or will eircom actually listen to them if I call?

Your local broadband exchange supports ADSL2+(speeds of up to 24mbps) But your phone line is currently still on an old ADSL1(up to 8mbps) DSLAM, and this is the core of the issue. I think you have to physically be switched to the ADSL2+ DSLAM in the exchange, and this means paying an Eircom engineer to go and do it, So while Eircom has no problem getting the engineer out to the exchange, ISPs like Vodafone and Sky are unwilling to pay the Eircom engineer to make the switch, at least this was my own personal experience with Vodafone.

You could also be on ADSL2+ and just be synced at 7Mbps, if this is the case, it is easily changed by making a call to Sky. As for you only getting 2Mbps, this is likely congestion, nothing you can really do about it but complain to Sky.

Please post a screen shot of your DSL statistics in your modem, if it says G.DMT, you are on ADSL1.

Your local broadband exchange supports ADSL2+(speeds of up to 24mbps) But your phone line is currently still on an old ADSL1(up to 8mbps) DSLAM, and this is the core of the issue. I think you have to physically be switched to the ADSL2+ DSLAM in the exchange, and this means paying an Eircom engineer to go and do it, So while Eircom has no problem getting the engineer out to the exchange, ISPs like Vodafone and Sky are unwilling to pay the Eircom engineer to make the switch, at least this was my own personal experience with Vodafone.

You could also be on ADSL2+ and just be synced at 7Mbps, if this is the case, it is easily changed by making a call to Sky. As for you only getting 2Mbps, this is likely congestion, nothing you can really do about it but complain to Sky.

Please post a screen shot of your DSL statistics in your modem, if it says G.DMT, you are on ADSL1.

Can't find reference to G.DMT or anything like it in the stats?

YfB7nPG.png

Can't find reference to G.DMT or anything like it in the stats?

7168kbps is an ADSL1 sync speed, sorry about that man, I think you should badger Sky about this because you should be on the ADSL2+ DSLAM.

As for doing the prequal on Eircoms website, I have created a visual guide.

Start here.

And then follow these instructions.

7168kbps is an ADSL1 sync speed, sorry about that man, I think you should badger Sky about this because you should be on the ADSL2+ DSLAM.

As for doing the prequal on Eircoms website, I have created a visual guide.

Start here.

And then follow these instructions.

Ok thanks for the help. That process with eircom is showing 20Mbps as well. I'll see what Sky say tomorrow.

• Advertisement

You can try but it won't help. If it was NGN you'd get consistent 6.5 Mb, but you get 2-3, that screams radio exchange. The line is capable of 20Mb but the exchange can't handle that. When its upgraded you'll be able to change package to a 24mb one and get 20, till then enjoy congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 X3Y2B7

ED E wrote: »
    Prequals over estimating for you I'd say. SNRs are just above target and 18dB dAtten means your're a good 1400m+.

As long as its stable, dont touch it.

thing is i'm not actually 1400m+ though, it's about 850m at the most.

could it be the ~12ft rj11 cat 3 cable that's actually limiting sync speed and etc?

X3Y2B7 wrote: »

could it be the ~12ft rj11 cat 3 cable that's actually limiting sync speed and etc?

Think you hit the nail on the head there, if you still want the length, replace it with a cat 5 cable and just terminate it with rj11, otherwise get a smaller cable.

Edit: read ft as metres, now i'm not so sure, replacing it couldn't hurt though.

Think you hit the nail on the head there, if you still want the length, replace it with a cat 5 cable and just terminate it with rj11, otherwise get a smaller cable.

Edit: read ft as metres, now i'm not so sure, replacing it couldn't hurt though.

*facepalm*

Yep, **** like that is killer for VDSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

So I was getting constant 67 down and 19.5 up for ages but now dropped off to 55 down and 18.8 up.
    These are according to SamKnows unit attached to my line.
    According to your speedcheck details I see

{"speed": 85.86, "sync": {"down": 90.0, "up": 20.0}}

Here is the details from the router.
    Line Status

Line standard VDSL2
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 71679
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 20478
    Downstream SNR (dB) 22.4
    Upstream SNR (dB) 11.8
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 8.9
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 3.1
    Downstream output power (dBmV) 12.6
    Upstream output power (dBmV) -13
    Downstream CRC 154
    Upstream CRC 58
    Downstream FEC 30
    Upstream FEC 3

Is it worth calling to see why I have dropped off recently?

So called Vodafone and they bumped up my profile - now getting an average of 85 Mbps which is bang on the data I got from your little tool
    Great stuff

ED E wrote: »
    *facepalm*

Yep, **** like that is killer for VDSL.

so just replace that with a cat5e and the modem should re-sync?

or do i need to get vodafone involved afterwards?

so just replace that with a cat5e and the modem should re-sync?

or do i need to get vodafone involved afterwards?

Before you do that I recommend moving the modem to as close to the source as possible just to see if sync improves, if it does, then definitely replace that with cat5/cat5e/cat6, whichever you have laying around, and terminate the cable with rj11.
    So called Vodafone and they bumped up my profile - now getting an average of 85 Mbps which is bang on the data I got from your little tool
    Great stuff

Awesome to hear, glad it worked out.

Before you do that I recommend moving the modem to as close to the source as possible just to see if sync improves, if it does, then definitely replace that with cat5/cat5e/cat6, whichever you have laying around, and terminate the cable with rj11.

terminate with rj11? surely i can just use the red WAN port instead?

You're going to have to give me your network topology, because I'm a bit confused now, that ethernet WAN is used when you already have a modem, and you just want to use the provided modem/router as just a router, or vice versa.

Would I be correct in assuming this is your current setup:

VDSL termination point -> 12ft cat3 rj11 cable -> modem/router

The WAN is for FTTH, pretend it doesnt exist.

You use CAT5 but terminate it like a phone cable and use the DSL port.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Back up and running guys, was down all day, Eircom started using CloudFlare for their https(or maybe they always did and just changed something), had to resort back to http when sending requests so just be aware that your phone number is no longer encrypted going from my server to Eircom's server, not a very big deal for me in my opinion as it's not like i'm dealing with passwords, but it may be for you so I want you to know, will switch back to https if the option becomes available again.

to test for yourself, replace hashes with phone number:
    https://www.eircom.net/prequalWidget/rest/ardaddresslook/phone-rsp/###-#######/broadband/true

That should result in an error, at least it does for my PC and my server, but if you take out the 's' in https, it should work.

I spent hours troubleshooting... and it was that simple.. :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Stoned Since 2011

I tested my own tool and found speeds slow.

Oh great it's down again, jesus christ Eircom, I could run an API with better stability if it was running on a virus ridden copy of Windows ME

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Stoned Since 2011

fcuk you eircom just did another test there. Disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Oh great it's down again, jesus christ Eircom, I could run an API with better stability if it was running on a virus ridden copy of Windows ME

Hi. I'd appreciate if you or anyone else here could give me any insight into my broadband speed. As an eircom broadband only customer my phone number was removed when I canceled the voice service so I can't use your line speed checker.

My router stats are a line attenuation of 34.5dB down and 21dB up. The noise margin is 10.5dB / 21dB. The stated speed is 6144 kbps down 512 up. A speed test gives me 5.2 mb down at any time of the day evening or night.

It does what I need it to do though any speed increase would be great.

medoc wrote: »
    Hi. I'd appreciate if you or anyone else here could give me any insight into my broadband speed. As an eircom broadband only customer my phone number was removed when I canceled the voice service so I can't use your line speed checker.

My router stats are a line attenuation of 34.5dB down and 21dB up. The noise margin is 10.5dB / 21dB. The stated speed is 6144 kbps down 512 up. A speed test gives me 5.2 mb down at any time of the day evening or night.

It does what I need it to do though any speed increase would be great.

You still have a CRN, a fake phone number, your ISP can tell you it. That will work in the checker.

Your line can do 7Mb. Maybe maybe 8Mb but it might be pushing it. Call tech support and ask em to up it.

Service Closed
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for sending on your details. I have chased this with our online operations team and have been advised that ultimately the API is not a published API and its use by third parties is unauthorised and is contrary to our commercial agreement with eircom wholesale.

We understand that there is no intention to do more than offer the comparison you mention, however eircom do not provide third party use of its API.
    Thanks

I put a lot of months work into this project, only to have some engineer at Eircom shutdown third party access to the API, this is the second time they have done this, but because I got around the last method they done it properly this time with a unique base64 token required to access it.

I don't really want to put anymore effort into this project given how hostile Eircom are, next thing would probably be a cease & desist.

Final statistics:

1741 tests run, 1049 being unique, with an average speed of 34.97Mbps.

I'm glad my app helped a few of those people to get better broadband speed, thanks for using it everybody.

• Advertisement

Advertisement