Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Countrywide Radio System

• 13-05-2015 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Lads, I think I already know the answer to the question, however, is there a countrywide radio system. Apart from tetra as its quite expensive.

In the UK they have andromeda radio( http://www.andromedadigital.com/ ) which works off the mobile phone system, but do we have equivalent here?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Andromeda sounds very much like Tetra, just on a different frequency band. Operating on 2G and 3G networks means 800-900 MHz versus Tetra (in Ireland) which operates between 380-400 MHz.

Motorola, Kenwood, Icom and Yaesu have their own proprietary digital platforms which can operate over large areas (city) with the aid of "over the air" or Internet linked repeaters... but as far I can see, Tetra Ireland have the market sewn up for a country-wide digital radio network.

So far Emergency/Law Enforcement, Defence Forces, Prison Service, ESB (and many more to follow) are signed up to Tetra Ireland. I doubt another operator will not come on the scene for a very long time compared to the 3 (or 4?) backbone mobile phone operators we have at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

There also used to be a "Push To Talk over Cellular" standard, it was offered in some countries by certain mobile providers. Some phones even had a dedicated button for it on the side. It would work like a normal 2-way radio, pushing the button and everyone tuned in to the 'virtual channel' would go on speaker automatically. You did have to wait with talking for a beep confirming that the 'channel' was free though, which sometimes could take a second or so. It would use the data service on the phone (unlike the American service on CDMA which worked more like a call).

In Holland it was used by one of the carriers to replace one of the existing mobile radio networks but the takeup was so low that they discontinued it (even though the investment was low, using the existing mobile networks!)

However in theory it works with internet based providers too as long as you have full internet access from your provider. I played with it for a while as I wanted to have a 'talk group' with some of my friends and there was a free service offering it, but as we all moved to smartphones we lost compatibility (it was mostly Nokia Series 60 phones that supported this).

So perhaps this may still be an option, a data package is fairly cheap these days and 1GB goes a long way for just voice. Not sure if anyone still offers this though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Thats interesting, however we are looking for something a bit more robust. These will be used on motorbikes so will get a bit of abuse

Blood Bikes?

• Advertisement

humaxf1 wrote: »
    Blood Bikes?

Yes, depending on cost, practicality etc

Fair play, thats exactly what I was talking about. Now to do some homework.

Thanks

Let me know how you get on please...

No problem, glad to help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There are only two options:
    1) Tetra
    2) Mobile Phone with a push to talk application.

The reason is high costs (up to 1000 Million Euro) for an infrastructure to cover all of Ireland. Rural places may have very patchy Mobile coverage, such that CBs (with big whips, forget rubber duck with a CB) between bikes work better! CB is possible with headsets.

Do note the high latency of mobile phone. Esp. 3G as it gets congested. Try a call to phone in the same room.
    4G isn't quite so bad, but still poor as there is NO voice mode at all on 4G, it has to use a VOIP app, which adds latency. 2G and 3G use native codecs and a native on air voice mode. 2G has the lowest inherent latency to mast, but any ISDN /ATM legacy backhaul and old switching can add a lot of latency.

I wonder what the latency (delay) is on the Broadnet handsets?

The 3G latency can be x5 if the masts are congested.

Anything else needs licensed handsets and a licensed local repeater. Analogue FM works better than Icom's proprietary digital system for Amateurs (Licensed by Kenword) for range, which needs a special repeater anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

watty wrote: »
    Anything else needs licensed handsets and a licensed local repeater. Analogue FM works better than Icom's proprietary digital system for Amateurs (Licensed by Kenword) for range, which needs a special repeater anyway.

Maybe DMR is also an option, it seems to be emerging as a standard for business radio. Nevertheless the range is also less than FM of course. And repeaters are also expensive.

I don't think you can even get a commercial licence for D-STAR anyway.

Those broadnet radios are nice by the way! Good find

Advertisement