Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland to assist in migrant crisis in the Med.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭MorpheusKnight

wakka12 wrote: »
    Why not? and theres a need to allow a referendum on such trivial issues as the age of the president or gay marriage? Thousands of refugees flooding the country will have a much larger impact on most peoples lives than the outcome of those referendums

Oh, you are soooooo right.

And how will those refugees feel about gay marriage ?

Talk about confusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

EOTR doesn't pay taxes and lives in the middle of nowhere in rural Ireland. That's not a slight on the man. He said it himself and seemed quite proud of it. Large scale immigration simply won't affect him so he doesn't care.
    did i say that? thats news to me. i do live in rural ireland yes, and i enjoy it. wouldn't change it for the world

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

no, its because they couldn't be ****ing bothered to do their jobs. then they use "i was afraid of being called racist" as their excuse because people except it and understand it. well no, if your fear of being called racist prevents you from doing your job then you should be out and thats it. you have no place in that job.

bull. its people using the fear of racism as an excuse for being incompitent and failing to do their job. some might be fine with that but i will tell you this. if i was head of a police force and i found out my staff didn't do their job because of "fear of being called racist" you know what i would do? i'd sack the whole ****ing lot of them, even if it means the whole force. not a problem. its no excuse, it doesn't wash with me.

For once we agree on something. The police shouldn't be beholden to a group of PC maniacs.

However, to say it is entirely the police's fault, and not the liberal media portraying everyone person who questions immigration as devils, they probably would not have been in that situation.

wakka12 wrote: »
    i'm not "defending" anyone. if the police are failing in their duty to stop gangs of thugs roming around the streets then that is the polices fault

And why is it do you think there aren't british gangs roaming freely around british cities?[/QUOTE]
    where did you get the idea that i think there aren't gangs roming around british cities?

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

For once we agree on something. The police shouldn't be beholden to a group of PC maniacs.

However, to say it is entirely the police's fault, and not the liberal media portraying everyone person who questions immigration as devils, they probably would not have been in that situation.
    they are in that situation because of themselves. fear of being called racist is a convenient excuse for failure.

To save EotR the time of replying to your post...

They are savages, being run by savages, to satisfy a group of savages.

Military junta, Liars. Get over it. I wouldn't trust them. Egyptians. Phhhffft.

The sky is not blue. Give me proof of that.

they are in that situation because of themselves. fear of being called racist is a convenient excuse for failure.

Come on, man, we were having a nice moment, and you had to go and ruin it. I thought we were finally going to find some common ground :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Being skeptical of unskilled immigration from outside of the EU is a perfectly rational point of view to hold. EU migration - fine. We signed up to the EU and all that entails. Non skilled non EU migration - not so fine. We have opt outs here and should use them.

Yes, it is.

We have well over 200,000 unemployed and 350,000 on the Live Register.

Half the country are beneficiaries of a welfare payment.

Why would we want or need non-EU immigration?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭diddley

Oh, you are soooooo right.

And how will those refugees feel about gay marriage ?

Talk about confusion.

Speaking of, do we currently have any citizenship test like they do in Germany? Or at least any plans for one?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

Where are the EU getting the 20k from? 170k have came since the start of the year.

• Advertisement

diddley wrote: »
    Speaking of, do we currently have any citizenship test like they do in Germany? Or at least any plans for one?

Driving licence?

Social welfare form??

Medical card application???

No, there's no test as the usual suspects complained that it would be 'unfair'. Even though a language exam and ccitizenship test are requirements for obtaining naturalisation in nearly every Western country that I can think of.
    The proposal by the Minister to introduce a language and civics test for those applying for citizenship in Ireland simply highlights the gap that currently exists between the political rhetoric relating to integration and the actual support that is provided for the members of Ireland’s new population. While there is no denying that a good grasp of English will improve an individual’s ability to successfully integrate in to Irish society, it is unfair to preclude an individual from gaining citizenship on the basis of language competency if the state makes it increasingly difficult for such persons to access suitable classes.

http://humanrights.ie/immigration/proposed-changes-to-citizenship-requirements-in-ireland/
    Some immigrants and legal experts warn that introducing such an exam would be unfair and counterproductive.
    “There are very many people among indigenous Irish people who cannot read and write,” said Waheed Mudah, a solicitor at Dublin-based Kevin Tunney Solicitors. “Does that diminish their status as good citizens of this country? No.”
    Mudah said if a test was introduced, it would negatively impact on the lives of immigrants who want to become Irish. 
    “There are very many non-Irish nationals, well behaved and law abiding, who cannot read and write and who are transacting their lawful business in the State, who could be prevented from becoming citizens as a result of such a policy, except if there is going to be a way of assessing people who cannot read and write.”
    He also wondered what value such an exam would bring to the citizenship process. 
    “The current regime is stringent enough so there is no point in introducing further conditions,” he said. “Surveys of other EU countries will suggest that the condition of [attaining] citizenship is more stringent here. In those countries, people are not refused citizenship because of traffic offences. 
    “It is another condition stopping [immigrants] from becoming [Irish] citizens.”

http://metroeireann.com/article/new-citizens-could-face-the-test,2920

Where are the EU getting the 20k from? 170k have came since the start of the year.

No, we're taking 200-something per 20,000, not 200-something of 20,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No, we're taking 200-something per 20,000, not 200-something of 20,000.

20,000 followed by extended families and grand parents and so on .
    You end up with double if not higher numbers in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭diddley

No, there's no test as the usual suspects complained that it would be 'unfair'. Even though a language exam and ccitizenship test are requirements for obtaining naturalisation in nearly every Western country that I can think of.

Pretty ridiculous. 'We already have a problem so why not import more of it' re: illiteracy. We should be seeking to bring people who can positively contribute to the country and a citizenship test, I feel, is only the beginning of that; migrants learning a bit about the country and what the culture here is all about. Seems a no-brainer to me.

Pretty ridiculous. ...Seems a no-brainer to me.

By EU standards, you think too much.

Remember this is the group that brought in long-life mercury light bulbs which are in as no way as bright as the lamps we had before.

Why do the EU want us sitting in the dark ?

Pretty ridiculous. 'We already have a problem so why not import more of it' re: illiteracy. We should be seeking to bring people who can positively contribute to the country and a citizenship test, I feel, is only the beginning of that; migrants learning a bit about the country and what the culture here is all about. Seems a no-brainer to me.

A CEFR level B1 in speaking and listening English and a CSPE exam should be basic requirements. Giving citizenship to people who have no clue as to how the political system of the state functions is not wise policy. It should be the same for those who want to obtain Irish citizenship through descent too.

A CEFR level B1 in speaking and listening English and a CSPE exam should be basic requirements. Giving citizenship to people who have no clue as to how the political system of the state functions is not wise policy. It should be the same for those who want to obtain Irish citizenship through descent too.

How many citizenships have been given out in the last few years .
    It's seems to be way to easy to get it here which it shouldn't be

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

We have well over 200,000 unemployed and 350,000 on the Live Register.
    Half the country are beneficiaries of a welfare payment.

Why these skilled people mentioned above do something useful, sell, got money and live happily? Not relying on the social welfare and on decent wages offered by others? Who stop them to work for themselves?

I am sure migrants from Asia-Africa will be more enterpreneural and can surwive not waiting for a decent wage jobs and not expecting a social welfare at all.

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    How many citizenships have been given out in the last few years .
    It's seems to be way to easy to get it here which it shouldn't be

Roughly 70k since June 2011 when Shatter introduced the naturalisation ceremonies.

I would actually offer incentives for anyone who learns Irish (native or foreign) and try to get people to live in the less populated west/south-west (European and Non-EU) by offering tax credits. It might cost us a few hundred million, but if we're going to be straddled with increased welfare spending we might as well reduce welfare spending per head and increase tax credits instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

By EU standards, you think too much.

Remember this is the group that brought in long-life mercury light bulbs which are in as no way as bright as the lamps we had before.

Why do the EU want us sitting in the dark ?

Arghhhh! Don't even start me on those! There is currently one in my wardrobe and it uses more energy since its installation because I pretty much just leave it on all day, otherwise I have to wait about 15 minutes after switching it on before I can find a pair of underwear or matching shoes! I should just put a normal one back in, I know!

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    Arghhhh! Don't even start me on those! There is currently one in my wardrobe and it uses more energy since its installation because I pretty much just leave it on all day, otherwise I have to wait about 15 minutes after switching it on before I can find a pair of underwear or matching shoes! I should just put a normal one back in, I know!

You can get 'Factory Bulb Use' from most large hardware stores - 100 / 150 / 200 watt.

Aaah - 200 watt.

High definition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Peter Anthony

Once again the people of this country have no say in anything. When the EU utopia says jump, Kenny and co say how high. At least Britain has the balls to say no for once. Although its too late over there now, place is flooded with Islamists who hate Britain, looks like it will be the case here sooner than I imagined.

The European Union is a modern day Soviet Union. And yet no political party in this country are Eurosceptic in shape or form. They all want to be lap dogs even Sinn Fein. As long as we're in the EU this **** will continue and this country will contiue to spiral downwards with crime becoming even worse. Our only saving grace is the amount of Irish scum we have walking our own streets. One can only hope they stamp their mark on these Islamists from day 1 before they turn Ireland into Iraq.

Roughly 70k since June 2011 when Shatter introduced the naturalisation ceremonies.
    FG the supposed "right wing" party throwing Citizenship around like confetti. Politics in this country is a crock of ****.

• Advertisement

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    agree. those "energy saving" light bulbs are absolute ****. bring back normal light bulbs. at least they gave out light.

At least Britain has the balls to say no

they are simply sounding off to satisfy the rabel hysterical brigade, saying what they want to hear. they will take some refugees.
    As long as we're in the EU this **** will continue and this country will contiue to spiral downwards with crime becoming even worse.

yes, and we will be a rich utopia outside the EU. not the bankrupt fully poverty stricken **** hole of the 1950s. or maybe thats what you want?

they are simply sounding off to satisfy the rabel hysterical brigade, saying what they want to hear. they will take some refugees.

yes, and we will be a rich utopia outside the EU. not the bankrupt fully poverty stricken **** hole of the 1950s. or maybe thats what you want?

The 50s? :rolleyes:

You dont have to go back that far to find when we were last bankrupt. And you'll find the EU were actively involved.

Dont rewrite history because of your communist agenda. We all know your views.

I really don't think that they will. In their election manifesto, the Tories stated that it's their ambition to get net migration down to the tens of thousands. They closed down a hape of dodgy English language schools. They did away with the student graduate visa. They introduced stringent financial requirements for the spousal visa. They have deported failed asylum seekers and told them to appeal the decision in their home country(this is policy now). They ain't messing about about immigration. I doubt very much that they are going to agree to take in asylum seekers who arrived in other EU countries. Our lads will of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

There are parts of countries that are. Paris and London both have areas that are effectively sharia. Parts of London has issues with sharia police roaming the streets threatening people who are drinking. And there are parts of Bradford and other northern cities that are the same. Zero integration. Liberal multiculturalism is a failure

They will keep coming and we should keep doing our best to keep them out.

Hysterical nonsense. And France does not do multiculturalism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

And the reason why they refused to act? They didn't want to be called racists.

Should I bring up the topic about the Islamist gang kidnapping, raping, chopping up a white British woman and feeding her to unwitting customers? What about the ethnic attacks on Kurds in Germany? Or the shootings in Paris? The stabbing of artists in the Netherlands? The shooting in Copenhagen? The THIRTY SIX FÚCKING BOMBINGS IN MALMO?

You know what they all have in common? Unsustainable, illogical pandering and sanctimonious ego-stroking ideals about "We're European, we're responsible for every god damn person on this planet and if anyone questions it, they're a racist!"

A source would be nice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Who do I think is acceptable? Those who want and, more importantly, deserve to be here. Those who realize the West is the West. Those who will adapt to our culture and way of life, rather than moving here and bitching at us about why it isn't more like back home. You want to live here? Fine. Want to work and have a family? Fine. Want to enjoy the fruits of the secular West? Absolutely fine. Want to bitch about the West? Not fine. Want to try and scare people into being afraid of being called racist? Not fine. Want to resort to violence when people draw pictures and cartoons? Not. Fúcking. Fine.

I'm so sorry. I didn't realise you were the victim here. I thought it was the people fleeing ISIS, Al Shabab, and all the other nasty muslim groups that were victims here.

Some of the bull**** I've seen on this thread is disgusting. Emigrants have been referred to as goat herders. There's an assumption that taking a relatively small number of emigrants will destroy our economy. It won't destroy our economy.

There's talk of us having a massive crises in this country already. We don't have a massive crises. Yes we have homeless people and we should do more for them. The reason we haven't isn't due to lack of money it's because the majority of people didn't make it an issue until someone died near the dail. Yes we have health care issues however we still have some of the best healthcare in the world. The problems we have can only partially be solved with money, most of the problems are down to massive management problems (The issues we have that can be solved with money are better mental health services and better home care. Better home care would stop our A&E departments from being over run by people, especially the elderly, with minor injuries. However even that is partially down to bad management. We spend a fortune on overtime and contract doctors for A&E, that money would be better spent in stopping people from ever needing to go to hospital).

The idea that most of the migrants will be useless sacks of **** that will lay around and do nothing whilst soaking up our social welfare is wrong too. Most migrants are actually eager to work. Many will have skills that can be used. Countries like Syria, Egypt, Iraq and Libya had amazing education systems. Yes, there will be language difficulties but they'll learn english. Just like the other couple o hundred thousand emigrants we had during the boom.

As for bitching about what it's like here. So many Irish people in this thread are bitching about here. From our government to social welfare systems, nearly everything except the local pub has been bitched about. And remember these emigrants know exactly what life in the west is like. That's why they're coming here. The vast majority are from countries that have televisions (SHOCK HORROR!). They also know how dangerous the crossing is. They know that tens of thousands never make it and that many who do are sent back. But they are still willing to do so.

And finally, you want to select the emigrants we take. How exactly will we do that when there is no way for people to emigrate to Ireland. Unlike america we don't actually have a way for someone to externally apply for citizenship here. We never have. Unless you are an EU citizen there is no way to move to Ireland.

btw, the reason the irish were picked on in america was because they were Irish. Most other nationalities didn't get that. We weren't a homogeneous group. Most spoke bad english and most had little skills. We were one of the poorest backwaters in europe. We turned out pretty well in the end, despite all the hostility we received. Imagine how well we would have done if we were welcomed.

In the 60's in the UK there were signs on boarding houses saying "No blacks, No animals, No irish". Maybe we should get something like that and stick it up at dublin airport.

Where were all 'our European partners' and their sense of solidarity when we were up sh*t creek?

Digging deep into their pockets so we could bail out the banks that we had guaranteed. And yes, we were the ones that guaranteed our dodgy banks against the advice of every country in the world. We were the first ones to do so.

Unless you're talking about the 80's when hey gave us billions in structural aid. next time you travel on an Irish motorway you should remember who probably paid for it.

I would actually offer incentives for anyone who learns Irish (native or foreign) and try to get people to live in the less populated west/south-west (European and Non-EU) by offering tax credits. It might cost us a few hundred million, but if we're going to be straddled with increased welfare spending we might as well reduce welfare spending per head and increase tax credits instead.

To be fair, it's a huge problem outside the major cities. I grew up in westmeath. I know that there's feck all I could do there with a technical background. There's so many people leaving rural ireland to go abroad or even just to a big city. These areas need massive government investment to create jobs and if the government did this then it would be a good place to put both emigrants and returning emigrants.

The IDA already do something like this. And to be fair to the IDA they are actually good at what they do. They do attract a huge amount of private investment but it would be good to see some more public investment in infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

QUOTE=Grandpa Hassan;95467731]There are parts of countries that are. Paris and London both have areas that are effectively sharia. Parts of London has issues with sharia police roaming the streets threatening people who are drinking. And there are parts of Bradford and other northern cities that are the same. Zero integration.

well, thats due to the police failing to do their jobs.[/quote]

No it's due to the failure of immigrants to integrate and sticking their fingers up at the country that let's them in. And you want more of it

In fact, you seem to celebrate it

Do we even have any method for attaining citizenship except asylum seekers or living here for 7 years?

I had an american friend with a degree who had loads of Irish friends. She couldn't move here though because there's no way to apply for something like a green card. Companies can sponsor you if you have particular skills, there's no one else for the job and the job pays a certain amount. But as far as I'm aware there's no way to actually move here except for that. Which is strange because it means that the vast majority of Irish citizens wouldn't actually qualify fo citizenship here.

It's five years residence before you can apply for citizenship. Three if married to an Irish citizen. Hardly excessive.

Your American friend could have applied for a whv. A reciprocal agreement is in place with the US.

If your American friend is qualified in an area that is on our Highly Skilled Eligible Occupations List they could apply for a Critical Skills Employment Permit.

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/visas/us-ireland-visa-arrangements/
    http://www.djei.ie/labour/workpermits/highlyskilledeligibleoccupationslist.htm
    http://www.djei.ie/labour/workpermits/criticalskillsep.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Grayson wrote: »
    I'm so sorry. I didn't realise you were the victim here. I thought it was the people fleeing ISIS, Al Shabab, and all the other nasty muslim groups that were victims here.

Some of the bull**** I've seen on this thread is disgusting. Emigrants have been referred to as goat herders. There's an assumption that taking a relatively small number of emigrants will destroy our economy. It won't destroy our economy.

There's talk of us having a massive crises in this country already. We don't have a massive crises. Yes we have homeless people and we should do more for them. The reason we haven't isn't due to lack of money it's because the majority of people didn't make it an issue until someone died near the dail. Yes we have health care issues however we still have some of the best healthcare in the world. The problems we have can only partially be solved with money, most of the problems are down to massive management problems (The issues we have that can be solved with money are better mental health services and better home care. Better home care would stop our A&E departments from being over run by people, especially the elderly, with minor injuries. However even that is partially down to bad management. We spend a fortune on overtime and contract doctors for A&E, that money would be better spent in stopping people from ever needing to go to hospital).

The idea that most of the migrants will be useless sacks of **** that will lay around and do nothing whilst soaking up our social welfare is wrong too. Most migrants are actually eager to work. Many will have skills that can be used. Countries like Syria, Egypt, Iraq and Libya had amazing education systems. Yes, there will be language difficulties but they'll learn english. Just like the other couple o hundred thousand emigrants we had during the boom.

As for bitching about what it's like here. So many Irish people in this thread are bitching about here. From our government to social welfare systems, nearly everything except the local pub has been bitched about. And remember these emigrants know exactly what life in the west is like. That's why they're coming here. The vast majority are from countries that have televisions (SHOCK HORROR!). They also know how dangerous the crossing is. They know that tens of thousands never make it and that many who do are sent back. But they are still willing to do so.

And finally, you want to select the emigrants we take. How exactly will we do that when there is no way for people to emigrate to Ireland. Unlike america we don't actually have a way for someone to externally apply for citizenship here. We never have. Unless you are an EU citizen there is no way to move to Ireland.

btw, the reason the irish were picked on in america was because they were Irish. Most other nationalities didn't get that. We weren't a homogeneous group. Most spoke bad english and most had little skills. We were one of the poorest backwaters in europe. We turned out pretty well in the end, despite all the hostility we received. Imagine how well we would have done if we were welcomed.

In the 60's in the UK there were signs on boarding houses saying "No blacks, No animals, No irish". Maybe we should get something like that and stick it up at dublin airport.

Just a point on unless you're in the eu you can't move to Ireland.

How is it we have such a large Nigerian community?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Grayson wrote: »
    Digging deep into their pockets so we could bail out the banks that we had guaranteed. And yes, we were the ones that guaranteed our dodgy banks against the advice of every country in the world. We were the first ones to do so.

Unless you're talking about the 80's when hey gave us billions in structural aid. next time you travel on an Irish motorway you should remember who probably paid for it.
    Their loans will be paid back with interest.
    They were also protected from the "contagion effect" that they were very concerned about.

So I'm not going to be fawning with thanks while I drive down EU funded motorways.
    Which we will eventually pay for anyway through being a net contributor to the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Our own young people are forced to emigrate due to the economy, yet we have the resources to welcome these people with open arms?

Sounds like a population switch to me.

• Advertisement

bjork wrote: »
    Our own young people are forced to emigrate due to the economy, yet we have the resources to welcome these people with open arms?

Sounds like a population switch to me.

So it's alright for us to be the immigrants? The irony is lost on you I'm sure!

If we can afford to pay some people close to 100k p.a. in benefits, we can afford to assist these people in attaining not just a better life, but a chance to live full stop.

So it's alright for us to be the immigrants? The irony is lost on you I'm sure!

If we can afford to pay some people close to 100k p.a. in benefits, we can afford to assist these people in attaining not just a better life, but a chance to live full stop.

Where are we heading in large numbers seeking asylum?

News to me

We'll probably end up paying a large splice of these newcomers benefits too.

Where are we heading in large numbers seeking asylum?

News to me

Everywhere? We went everywhere seeking literal asylum, it just wasn't called "asylum seeking" back then.

Once things have finally picked up for us, do you think it's right to deny others what so many countries have given to irish people?

Everywhere? We went everywhere seeking literal asylum, it just wasn't called "asylum seeking" back then.

Once things have finally picked up for us, do you think it's right to deny others what so many countries have given to irish people?

Is it the famine you are referring too? :rolleyes:

What type of surplus are we running in the country at the moment, now that things have picked up?

Everywhere? How many of these are our ancestors coming home from Africa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Funny how many here who claim to be Christian and Ireland is a Catholic country and then just complain about money when a small group of desperate people are being offered help.

People from Syria are not economic migrants they are people who have lost everything due to war and are in an awful state.

I was in Istanbul recently and there are plenty of Syrian families sleeping on the streets with young children and it was truly one of the saddest sights I've ever seen.

I would like it if Ireland can help out in way it can as these people are just unlucky as to where they were born whilst we are the opposite.

Is it the famine you are referring too? :rolleyes:

What type of surplus are we running in the country at the moment, now that things have picked up?

We emigrated over a much larger period than the famine. And to counries that weren't running surpluses either.

What's your point?

Thousands fled to other parts alot died trying now none got access to any social welfare or social housing and free medical and or free legal aid .

Using historic look what we did 30,60, 150 years
    Is a pretty cheap argument.
    Most people aren't against migrants in the country we have a migrant population of 560,000 already settled and were hardly tuning everyone away .
    But opening flood gates to economic migrants is just going to cause major problems both socially and financially

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 327 ✭✭xhoundx

Any countries we emigrated to in the past and present were all suffering from labour or skills shortages. We went to take up work.

Until ireland starts to suffer from a labour shortage situation we have no room for any immigrants from anywhere.

• Advertisement

We emigrated over a much larger period than the famine. And to counries that weren't running surpluses either.

What's your point?

When, apart form the famine, did we jump on boats by the 1,000's and forcefully land on other nations shores, claiming asylum?

I don't even think we landed illegally during the famine.

Do you think all of Africa will fit in to Ireland? Also Have a look where these "migrants" are coming from...not all syria or lybia...the lad they interviewed on the news was from pakistan after the boat sank.

Where are you intending to draw the line?

Why are you encouraging human traffickers?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement