Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland to assist in migrant crisis in the Med.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ireland being an island on the periphery of Europe used to be seen as a disadvantage

not any more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The deafening silence from our Government is deafening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Those in education are not considered unemployed.

Like Solas courses then
    You can spend years doing the classes.

Ah tell me about it, spent 13 years learning my own language and can still barely speak it. Am living in another country and am still going to language classes after 6 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Nodin wrote: »
    Good use of your mass mind reading skills there.

Are you saying that they don't hate us?
    There's lots of signals that say otherwise.

Migrants seeking asylum can't work until they receive the status of refugee, it takes years, what do they do meanwhile? How can they survive, eat, dress, etc? On our money.
    Then there will be thousands of persons that will try anything to make money. We have areas of the main cities where you can't find a single Italian, all shops have Arab signs, in every shop there are four or five of them. Usually they do nothing, no customers in, they usually stand outside the shop, clustered. You don't make money by standing on the street almost all day long. So, what do these shops do? Why do some of them have the windows screened with posters and stickers so that looking inside is close to impossible? What do they have to hide in there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Surely the high rate of unemployment is because one third of the entire town's population is made up of Middle Eastern immigrants, many of whom are still learning the local language

The town also receives 3 times as many refugees as the national average

At this stage Ethnic Swedes would probably only constitute about 33-40% of the city currently.There is nothing to stop the people from working while they are learning the language, S.F.I.(Swedish for forigners) have day time courses,full time courses and evening classes.
    Stockholm city is 30 minutes by car,45 by commuter train-if you cant work in Sotalje you can work in Sthlm.
    Given that in many areas of the city,Swedish would be the second language,so not speaking Rikssvenska is not as much of a barrier to employment as you may think,especially as the locals have their own horrible version of Rinkebysvenska.
    Most of the trade which sees paper money of coins being used is controlled by the Assyrians (hairdressers,pubs,cafe's,corner shops,pizzarias,filling stations) and the black economy is strong there.

So,one of the reasons there is 15%unemployment in a city which ought to have an unemployment rate of 5-6% is that the black economy acts as a nice little top up to the dole.The whole city is rotten,corrupt and scam ridden.

And that ain't on the Ethnic Swedes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

crockholm wrote: »
    There is nothing to stop the people from working while they are learning the language

I'd say there are a fair few factors. One of which would be local prejudice.
    So,one of the reasons there is 15%unemployment in a city which ought to have an unemployment rate of 5-6% is that the black economy acts as a nice little top up to the dole.

15% unemployment is not actually that bad for a city with that percentage of immigrants
    The whole city is rotten,corrupt and scam ridden.

I doubt it
    And that ain't on the Ethnic Swedes.

Who is it on, and who voted for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    I'd say there are a fair few factors. One of which would be local prejudice.

15% unemployment is not actually that bad for a city with that percentage of immigrants

I doubt it

Who is it on, and who voted for them?
    What kind of prejudice do you mean? Religious?Racial?

When you consider that one factory alone employs nearly ten thousand people and you have access to employment in Sthlm...it is pretty poor to have an unemployment rate of 15%.

I doubt you understand.

The voting public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

http://217.218.67.233/photo/20150422/07f86e0c-9178-4b1a-a8c2-fa8c0839cb9e.jpg

Are we still getting pictures presented like this to show women children and family's ? to show asylum seekers.

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article10179373.ece/alternates/w620/pg-26-med-migrants-1-epa.jpg

Instead of the reality of it mostly being young men ? Them actually being economic migrants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Humanitarian crisis, migration crisis, call it whatever the hell you want. How do you solve it? You stop Mare Nostrum, lots drown. You start search and rescue operations outside of EU waters, the traffickers push them out in barely seaworthy rust buckets and even more drown.

There are only two ways that you will stop people drowning. By either providing a ferry service from shore and taking the human traffickers completely out of the equation. Or by ensuring that each and every person that comes by boat gets a medical check, warm food/drink/clothing and gets sent right on back. Each and every one of them. The message would soon get out that if you come illegally by boat, you will not get to stay.

Send every last one of them back.

Then go into libya and smash the smugglers.. (You ban the press and smash the living daylights out of them )automatic life imprisonment for those involved.

The more that come the more you send back eventually they will stop coming.

Unfortunately the weak governments of europe will do nothing until it is too late.... i mean what do they think will happen when oil eventually runs out in the middle east.

Or the easiest way to sort it.... you have to be living in the country for 10 years to recieve any sort of benefit... that would put a stop to their gallop very quickly

Ireland being an island on the periphery of Europe used to be seen as a disadvantage

not any more

not really they will be forced on us regardless

Enda should have told them to jog on... but then that would require a backbone

• Advertisement

twinytwo wrote: »
    not really they will be forced on us regardless

Enda should have told them to jog on... but then that would require a backbone

Sure cheap labour is great for the free market, Sure us highly paid people can then go live it up on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

All that citizens had to do was put a lot of pressure on this government to use our veto to not take any-more migrants in, at least until we can fix our own problems with our own citizens. We have a veto and they won't use it, we already took many migrants in through the years since Lisbon 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Migrants seeking asylum can't work until they receive the status of refugee, it takes years, what do they do meanwhile? How can they survive, eat, dress, etc? On our money.
    Then there will be thousands of persons that will try anything to make money. We have areas of the main cities where you can't find a single Italian, all shops have Arab signs, in every shop there are four or five of them. Usually they do nothing, no customers in, they usually stand outside the shop, clustered. You don't make money by standing on the street almost all day long. So, what do these shops do? Why do some of them have the windows screened with posters and stickers so that looking inside is close to impossible? What do they have to hide in there?

Sorry, I'm so shamed by your anecdote backed sweeping generalisations that I just don't know what to say. Forgive me, O all-knowing one.

Maybe they block out the windows to stop people who want to believe the worst gawping in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

The Middle East in going up in flames. It is obvious they will take refuge in Europe. Restoring Syria, Libya & Iraq to a peacetime era should be number one priority. Otherwise these guys will remain here and get lost in the criminal underworld taken advantaged by unscrupulous traffickers and anti immigrant thugs.

Sorry, I'm so shamed by your anecdote backed sweeping generalisations that I just don't know what to say. Forgive me, O all-knowing one.

Maybe they block out the windows to stop people who want to believe the worst gawping in?

Do they get a form with Purpose of visit on it ?

1 Work

2 Pleasure

3 Killing Infidels

All for letting in Genuine asylum seekers, But am a bit suspect of single Male Economic migrants with zero documentation back grounds or real names. No idea who they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

Some of the posts on here are shocking.

Imagine what this little island would be had all of our ancestors been sent back in our time of need.
    Its people were talking about and they havent upped and left everything and everyone they know for no reason.

And just to add 4 of the top 5 in leaving cert exam results in my childs school this year were children of immigrants, who will now go on to college and fund our pensions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Anyone see the news at 9?

Syrian family in a lovely 3 bed house with garage and a new born baby.

On the phone to his brother trying to find out if he has made it safely.

Really couldn't make this up.

JustTheOne wrote: »

Here ? Is there not a massive housing shortage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭johnty56

deseil wrote: »

Imagine what this little island would be had all of our ancestors been sent back in our time of need.
    Its people were talking about and they havent upped and left everything and everyone they know for no reason.

And just to add 4 of the top 5 in leaving cert exam results in my childs school this year were children of immigrants, who will now go on to college and fund our pensions.

Yeah..... most of those who emigrated from Ireland up until the relatively recent introduction of the welfare state in any country worked like hell to keep themselves and were usually mercilessly exploited by the natives in the countries they arrived in. Ask some of the older Irish emigres in London what life was like when they arrived there in the 50s.. it was par for the course for young Irish guys to sleep in parks until they had worked hard enough and long enough to have enough money to pay for a room.

Just one small example of the difference between the migrants in the med and the Irish emigrants of the past.

Stop the economic migrants/ welfare tourist.. take in the genuine refugees.. it is very simple. Cut out the BS and help those that need help. Tell the others to Fcuk off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 647 ✭✭✭RichardCeann

It is okay. They will all fund our pensions apparently.

• Advertisement

Ah yes lets compare 200 years ago to now.

If its so important to you.... of to the middle east with you and you can fight for their right over there.

Do Syrians normally dwell in the deep woods or underwater, or is there a different point you're trying to make?

Here ? Is there not a massive housing shortage ?

That's why I'm scratching my head here.

It is okay. They will all fund our pensions apparently.

How, they will get ripped off on pay and probably need welfare support as well. Free market blah bla blah.

johnty56 wrote: »
    Yeah..... most of those who emigrated from Ireland up until the relatively recent introduction of the welfare state in any country worked like hell to keep themselves and were usually mercilessly exploited by the natives in the countries they arrived in. Ask some of the older Irish emigres in London what life was like when they arrived there in the 50s.. it was par for the course for young Irish guys to sleep in parks until they had worked hard enough and long enough to have enough money to pay for a room.

Just one small example of the difference between the migrants in the med and the Irish emigrants of the past.

Stop the economic migrants/ welfare tourist.. take in the genuine refugees.. it is very simple. Cut out the BS and help those that need help. Tell the others to Fcuk off.

Our systems fault, not theirs.Let them work I think you ll find most will want to.

Do Syrians normally dwell in the deep woods or underwater, or is there a different point you're trying to make?

I can't jump the housing list can you ?

Do Irish usually sleep in hotels day to day?

twinytwo wrote: »
    Ah yes lets compare 200 years ago to now.

If its so important to you.... of to the middle east with you and you can fight for their right over there.

Clap clap such an intelligent response

I can't jump the housing list can you ?

How do we know this family jumped the housing list?
    justtheone wrote:
    Do Irish usually sleep in hotels day to day?

Seeing as we were talking about a Syrian family in a 3 bed house on the news, I'm unsure what that question has to do with anything. What point were you trying to make?

• Advertisement

Our systems fault, not theirs.Let them work I think you ll find most will want to.

That's exactly why they are coming here ie: to work, as in economic migrants. Let them apply for a visa.

Seeing as we were talking about a Syrian family in a 3 bed house on the news, I'm unsure what that question has to do with anything. What point were you trying to make?

It doesn't take a genius to know that these migrants are fast-tracked into housing, especially if they have a baby.

They arrived last week.

They now have a house.

It's not rocket science.

The average waiting time for social housing in Ireland in previous years was 7 years, and if you're a single person it could be 15 years. It's a longer waiting game now in this time and year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Yeah........so?

That is not the point I am making, but I will address your point. The reason that people who come to Ireland and apply for asylum are not allowed to work until they have been found to be genuine refugees is quite simple.

If you could come here, circumventing all immigration laws, rules and procedures and be allowed to work straight away- with all the attendant benefits, such as access to the social welfare system after a period of time, and schemes such as FIS etc etc etc, then instead of several thousand applications every year, we would have tens of thousands.

After all, it wouldn't really matter if you were genuine or whether you were in fact just a complete chancer.. you would have got around all that difficult red tape and be here as a de facto citizen, without any right at all to be so in the majority of cases... even if you were a multiple rapist and wanted in ten countries, all you would have to do is tear up your papers and say your name was John Joseph Smith, a simple asylum seeker looking for a better life:)

• Advertisement

It makes a mockery of direct provision doesn't it. Housed so quickly when they should be in direct provision, that is what it is for I thought. Seeing that this family only arrived in Ireland what would be wrong in putting them up in a hotel and giving an Irish family that home ?. I'm sure this Syrian family would have been delighted to have a nice hotel room for the time being either way.

That's exactly why they are coming here ie: to work, as in economic migrants. Let them apply for a visa.

In fairness, I would imagine that the unemployment figures of those who have been granted asylum here would suggest otherwise.

It makes a mockery of direct provision doesn't it. Housed so quickly when they should be in direct provision, that is what it is for I thought. Seeing that this family only arrived in Ireland what would be wrong in putting them up in a hotel and giving an Irish family that home ?. I'm sure this Syrian family would have been delighted to have a nice hotel room for the time being either way.

Is it possible that they are renting privately? I don't know.. are asylum seekers allowed to under the new system? I would imagine that they are, and some of the Syrians coming here will be people of means. I think that the Syrians coming here will largely be genuine cases TBH..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

It doesn't take a genius to know that these migrants are fast-tracked into housing, especially if they have a baby.

Have to stop you there. Starting a family, nothing wrong with that. Their decision to potentially endanger themselves and others by believing the traffickers is in my opinion total irresponsibility. They put their trust in a smuggler to deliver them to a rich country that will look after them. How can they just trust a person with a boat? By agreeing to the transport they are putting all their lives in danger. It has been reported that you can make a huge profit bringing these people into Europe. Talk about a commercial incentive. Smuggle vulnerable people into Europe and get a boat load of cash.

Is it possible that they are renting privately? I don't know.. are asylum seekers allowed to under the new system? I would imagine that they are, and some of the Syrians coming here will be people of means. I think that the Syrians coming here will largely be genuine cases TBH..

You can get a visa pretty easy having means.

• Advertisement

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Have to stop you there. Starting a family, nothing wrong with that. Their decision to potentially endanger themselves and others by believing the traffickers is in my opinion total irresponsibility. They put their trust in a smuggler to deliver them to a rich country that will look after them. How can they just trust a person with a boat? By agreeing to the transport they are putting all their lives in danger. It has been reported that you can make a huge profit bringing these people into Europe. Talk about a commercial incentive. Smuggle vulnerable people into Europe and get a boat load of cash.

And people complain about Dole people getting free houses...

The majority of Syria is fine.

Still day to day lives school work all happening.

Any reason this family couldn't move to a part that is free from war

Anyway no the news they said they are been housed here for the time being because of the new born.

They arrived last week.

They now have a house.

It's not rocket science.

Isn't just amazing how quickly he's picked up traces of the local accent...unless......

How do you know this? Because it doesn't say that in the news bulletin.
    Anyway no the news they said they are been housed here for the time being because of the new born.

No, it did not. Why are you making things up?
    are asylum seekers allowed to under the new system?

His status wasn't mentioned in the bulletin, how do you know whether or not his claim has been granted?

If they are genuine then they are allowed to work, study and live here with the same rights as Irish citizens. After three years those awarded refugee status are eligible to apply for naturalisation.

The median time for processing applications in 2014 was 15.3 weeks for non-prioritised applications and 4.4 weeks for prioritised applications (Source: ORAC Annual Report 2014)

The median time for processing substantive appeals (cases involving an oral hearing) in 2014 was approximately 49 weeks and 38 weeks for accelerated appeals (appeals on the papers) (Source: Refugee Appeals Tribunal Annual Report 2014).

The problem is that over 90% of asylum applications received annually are deemed to be unfounded. They are not genuine. If they want to work then they are free to come here with a valid permit to do so. If they do not qualify, then that is their problem and not ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They're illegal, so why should they even get into the country let alone work?

But yeah it's the "systems fault".

Wailin wrote: »
    Yeah........so?

Why are we housing non EU citizens ahead of Irish people when we are in the midst of a social housing crisis? Are we a charitable organisation or what?

Why are we housing non EU citizens ahead of Irish people when we are in the midst of a social housing crisis? Are we a charitable organisation or what?

How do you know he was housed ahead of anyone?

Anyone link the article can't find it.

KingBrian2 wrote: »

Oh god please read something ...even a little bit about whats going on where these people are coming from.

It's possible, but from the news regarding Syrians arriving here, they said that they would be housed in direct provision. Maybe that new legislation was passed already to allow them to work here immediately, I don't have that information though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement