Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of the frying pan, into the .... fish pond

Options
  • 13-05-2015 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

I'm moving house. Old log here

Wednesday:

Run: Minute Intervals with equal recovery

10min warm up

Time|1min|2min|3min|4min|5min|4min|3min|2min|1min
    Pace (min/mi)|6:16|6:13|6:16|6:27|6:14|6:07|6:10|6:14|6:00
    13min cool down

Swim: 1.1k

Aborted session

*Day 2*
    200m warm up
    4*50 as 25fist, 25sw, 15s
    Main Set: 14*100m as;
    4*100 on 2:12, 15s rest
    2:12, 2:13, 2:13, 2:15
    3*100 on 2:06, 15s rest
    2:11
    3*100 on 2:06
    30s rest
    300m choice easy

200m easy

Delighted with the run. There was a bit of a headwind in places and the road is slightly up and down and those are my most consistent reps EVER! The effort felt just right (pace is my goal 5k pace). And I jogged all the recoveries. Sometimes I have to take a sneaky walk especially after the longer reps. The swim was too much. It's good to know your limits I guess and a hard swim yesterday followed by a hard run session this morning followed by a hard swim session this afternoon is too much for me right now. I'll do it again tomorrow :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

That put a smile on my face :), nice move career move! Welcome and good luck!

So what bike are you gonna buy? And what bike are you gonna buy after that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

Rant: fookin poachers!:pac:

All the best with the new log CM!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Welcome, but we use kms over here............. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

great title where did the idea come from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Noooooooo! Thieves!! I've a feeling you're going to shine here K but really.....*sob sob*....
    Best of luck missus and don't be a stranger :D feck come back!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    That put a smile on my face :), nice move career move! Welcome and good luck!

So what bike are you gonna buy? And what bike are you gonna buy after that?

Thanks :) The bike will have to wait until I have a definite plan. Also I think I need to change my car!

Thanks NE. I see you've one foot in the door yourself ;)
    tunney wrote: »

Thanks Dave. That's too bad. I run in miles :)
    peter kern wrote: »
    great title where did the idea come from ?

Thanks Peter. It's loosely based on a chapter from one of my favourite books of all time The Hobbit :)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Noooooooo! Thieves!! I've a feeling you're going to shine here K but really.....*sob sob*....
    Best of luck missus and don't be a stranger :D feck come back!!!

Don't worry I'll be keeping an eye on you. Have to keep tabs on the opposition ;):D

And I'm only really a mouse click away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Hahaha you're not too far behind her yourself !!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I'm moving house.....

Welcome teamie!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Thanks Dave. That's too bad. I run in miles :)

For now.

Welcome. At last. Try not to beat the rest of us too soon.

• Advertisement

AKW wrote: »
    Welcome teamie!! :D

Thanks Sean :D

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    For now.

Welcome. At last. Try not to beat the rest of us too soon.

You're alright. You're not in my category ;)

Unless there's something you need to tell me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Whoop whoop!!! When can we expect you to be targeting your first IM?? :)
    tunney wrote: »

No. Not all of us do. ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »

Hahaha. I'm planning my IM debut for 2025 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hahaha. I'm planning my IM debut for 2025 :D

Ha. We'll see. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Well at least they should understand your swimming sessions over here. Best of luck with the new adventures! Looking forward to hearing about those podium finishes that wooed you :D (as if you didn't have enough of those in running!)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Best of luck with the new log Kate - don't forget to call 'home' every now & then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

God damn it :pac::pac:

I suppose it was inevitable really :p

All the best with the new log and future race plans. I'll pop over occasionally to see how that mare is getting on :)

annapr wrote: »
    Well at least they should understand your swimming sessions over here. Best of luck with the new adventures! Looking forward to hearing about those podium finishes that wooed you :D (as if you didn't have enough of those in running!)

I hope so!! Good luck in Terenure :)
    Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Best of luck with the new log Kate - don't forget to call 'home' every now & then ;)

Thanks. I might see you in Dundrum ;)
    martyboy48 wrote: »
    God damn it :pac::pac:

I suppose it was inevitable really :p

All the best with the new log and future race plans. I'll pop over occasionally to see how that mare is getting on :)

She's doing well :D

4qhfnk.jpg

Thursday:

Run: 30min recovery

Legs were tired.

Swim: 2.1k

*Day 2*
    200m warm up
    4*50 as 25fist, 25sw, 15s
    Main Set: 14*100m as;
    2:15, 2:15, 2:13, 2:12
    2:11, 2:09, 2:10
    2:14, 2:12, 2:13, 2:15
    2:14, 2:20, 2:16
    30s rest
    300m alternating 50 fc/50 backstroke

This was dismal. After the first two I increased the recovery time but it was still taking way too much effort and as hard as I tried I couldn't get near 2:06. I'll do it again on Saturday :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

After the first two I increased the recovery time but it was still taking way too much effort and as hard as I tried I couldn't get near 2:06. I'll do it again on Saturday :(

Don't!

Its a very tough set, and the times are somewhat arbitrary. There's limitations as to what can be done over the internet (not to mention my extremely limited coaching ability! The fault could well lie on my side of the equation!). A one-to-one coach would be able to see your swim ability and suggest corrections; that would help a lot more than repeating the set. Unfortunately its not available here, but for the moment you should take what you got out of the set, and move on.

Swim progress isn't linear, there are periods when you feel like no progress is being made, and then sudden leaps in ability. Tick this session as completed, and move on!

Fair enough. I'd like one more go at it though. I know I can do it. I don't think I'm fully recovered from the run session yesterday. And if I can't do the 100's at that pace I don't see how I'm going to do the 200's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Dory Dory wrote: »

No. Not all of us do. ;)

I was thinking along the same lines :)

Wohooooo welcome CM

I love the name, it's perfect :)

Friday

Run: 6.65m @ 8:51

I love running early in the mornings before the world wakes up. It's always so fresh and crisp out and quiet. Nothing but the sound of birds in the trees. I'm happy with my running this week but I haven't done as much as wanted to. I meant to do a double today but I was too lazy and unmotivated this afternoon. I wasn't going to run tomorrow because I'm doing a local 5k race on Sunday but I think maybe I'll do a few miles early and some strides.

Saturday:

Run: 5.16m @ 8:57 w strides

Lovely morning for a run. I didn't get out as early as I had planned. My bed was too comfy! It's feckin windy though. I never noticed the wind much before I took up running. i pulled a muscle in my back during the week and I must have aggravated it yesterday. It hurts under my left shoulder blade when I take a deep breath or when I cough. My cat caught a mouse this morning. Typical man, he thought he was brilliant. I was the one who showed him where it was ;)

Swim: 2.6k

*Day 3*
    200m warm up
    4*50 as 25k, 25choice drill, 15s
    Main Set: 10*200m pb as;
    3*200, 20s rest
    3:58, 3:58, 3:53
    2*200, 20s rest
    3:44, 3:47
    3*200, 20s rest
    3:58, 3:54, 3:54
    2*200, 20s rest
    3:47, 3:50
    30s rest
    300m alternating fc/backstroke

I did the main set with the pull bouy. I didn't really have any targets in mind because I've never done any faster stuff with the pull bouy so I just tried to increase the effort for the 2x200's. I worked hard and it felt like a good session :)

Sunday:

Moyne 5k - 19:36
    Splits: 6:16, 6:23, 6:27, 5:13

First woman :D

I saw this race on tipperaryathletics during the week and decided to head along. It's near enough to home that I could run back after so I'd get a long run in as well today. I did a 15 minute warm up when I got there just to suss out the course and see what way the damn wind was blowing. The start was 500m from the club house so when I'd finished my warm up, I dropped my jacket in the club house and ran back up to the start. It was supposed to start at 12 but it took a while for everyone to get up and while I was waiting I was talking to the starter. He's one of the main people in the athletics club. They're in the middle of building a new track there. The 5k usually finishes on the track but because of the building work they had to move the start 500m back up the road. Soon everyone had gathered and I had a good opportunity to check out my opposition. I do this a lot of late. As far as I could make out there was a junior and a woman in a purple top called Eileen who looked my main dangers but I thought I could win it.
    I lined up behind a couple of guys in singlets and we were off. Eileen and the junior overtook me straight away but I was happy where I was. After 100m I had a look at the pace 3:48/k. Sweet. My main goals today were a) win and b) do it in under 20min. The junior had overtaken Eileen and was keeping pace with a guy in a dark top. They were about 5m in front of Eileen who was another 5m in front of me. I wasn't sure if the junior knew the guy and he was going to pace her. I like being in this position in a race early on, where I'm pretty sure there's noone going to challenge me from behind and I can assess the people in front of me while also getting a feel for how I'm going. Eileen moved past the junior as we went through the middle of the town and I followed after her. As I was passing I had a listen to the junior's breathing and she seemed under a good bit of pressure so I was pretty confident that it was just between Eileen and I now. We went past the 1k mark and I had a quick look at my watch 3:53
    I was tucked in right behind Eileen as we went out of the town. She knew the course and looked to be taking a good line. We went up a couple of short hills and I thought she was looking strong. We passed the 2k mark in 7:53 and shortly after we turned right onto a long straight road with a bit of a headwind. I came up on Eileen's shoulder here. She seemed very relaxed and I was definitely breathing much heavier than her so I decided to drop back in behind her again :D I missed the 3k mark. I had my eyes focussed on Eileen's back and I knew if I could keep with her up this road I'd have a bit more in the tank when we turned out of the wind. I did feel for a moment that it was a bit of a horrible thing to do to let her do all the work but then I thought it's a race. I didn't ask her to take the lead. In fairness to her she was keeping a very even pace. I was having to work hard to keep with her. A couple of people were complaining afterwards that this road had a slight drag up it but I didn't notice it, I was just focussed on Eileen. We passed the 4k mark in 15:xx. I remember thinking that I had the sub 20 now and that gave me a real lift :D
    About 100m later we turned right and we had the wind behind us. I felt the pace begin to steady slightly but I knew if I went now I'd have to go decisively and it was still about 800m from the finish. I thought about it for half a second and then I went. I passed Eileen in a couple of strides and I couldn't hear her coming with me. When I had a sneaky look I was clear and I knew I had the race won. I passed over the start line and I knew I had 500m to go. There were a 4 guys in front of me. I could just see one of them in a black and red singlet before he sprinted clear. I passed out another guy who looked like a junior and a guy in a green run killarney shirt and the other guy was too far ahead. I could just make out the finish line. Green shirt guy passed me out again and we turned a corner with about 80m to the finish. I was holding my place about 5m behind green shirt guy and I thought he was slowing just before the line so I kicked really hard to pass him but he heard me coming and picked up again and finished just in front of me. Couldn't believe it when I stopped the watch and saw 19:36 :D Absolutely thrilled :D Eileen came in about 15 seconds behind me and the junior was third woman but she was a bit back.

That's a one second pb but it's worth far more than that to me. I ran 19:37 in the Jingle Bells in 2013 and I've worked really hard to get back to that level. This was a tougher course especially with the wind and I've trained hard all week so it's actually a much better result for me. I got a cup of tea and some fruit cake and a chocolate bun and I had my picture taken and then I ran home. Happy out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Delighted to see this! You have worked damn fecking hard for this and you are back where you deserve. Well done!!

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Delighted to see this! You have worked damn fecking hard for this and you are back where you deserve. Well done!!
    Thanks Dg. I appreciate that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

You're a pure savage!!

• Advertisement

pointer28 wrote: »
    You're a pure savage!!

Thanks. I think :D

Advertisement