Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of the frying pan, into the .... fish pond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Lovely write up and you are the real glue in our team, never forget that!

Can't believe you forgot to mention the Ham & Cheese sambos, coffee and the 20 chocolate bars you got in that shop in Newcastle :D

Something else about that stop that should not be mentioned!! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

wow, that's phenomenal, massive respect to all of ye and super write up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Loved the report, CM, and the pictures with the smiling faces... I am in awe of all of you... each stage was tough, never mind doing them all one after the other... jayzis.

as a matter of interest, when you took sleep breaks on the astro turf (:eek:), how long were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

What a fantastic report. Totally in awe. Is there anything you can't/won't/don't achieve once you set your mind to it??! Well done, hope you're recovering nicely this week.
    And I know it's a bit early, but what's next?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

tang1 wrote: »
    Your some woman, and i mean this in the nicest way, your as tough as kevlar, fair play. Not a hope in hell i would have gotten through that.

Kevlar - had to google that. I'm bulletproof :D Cooooooooooool :D
    Lovely write up and you are the real glue in our team, never forget that!

Can't believe you forgot to mention the Ham & Cheese sambos, coffee and the 20 chocolate bars you got in that shop in Newcastle :D

Fixed now! The woman in the shop asked if we were having a picnic. She was a bit taken aback when I replied 'No, these are all for me' :D
    AKW wrote: »
    Something else about that stop that should not be mentioned!! :D:D:D

The apple slice??
    Firedance wrote: »
    wow, that's phenomenal, massive respect to all of ye and super write up

Thanks a mill :D
    annapr wrote: »
    Loved the report, CM, and the pictures with the smiling faces... I am in awe of all of you... each stage was tough, never mind doing them all one after the other... jayzis.

as a matter of interest, when you took sleep breaks on the astro turf (:eek:), how long were they?

Thanks Anna. We slept for about an hour the first time before we went up on the Comeraghs and about two and a half hours after. It really was cold and hard and the 15 min we spent under the hedge was much more comfortable!
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    What a fantastic report. Totally in awe. Is there anything you can't/won't/don't achieve once you set your mind to it??! Well done, hope you're recovering nicely this week.
    And I know it's a bit early, but what's next?!

Thanks. Maybe ask me that again in October after my exam :eek: I'm recovering very well. My feet were very swollen Sunday evening and Monday but no muscular aches or pains. I am very tired still though so I've been taking more naps than usual. Next for me? I'm not sure, probably cross country with the club and maybe the Waterford half marathon in December. Next for the team? Plans are fluid at the moment but it's looking like it could be ITERA 2016

• Advertisement

Plans are fluid at the moment but it's looking like it could be ITERA 2016

Just FYI check the countdown clock on www.triharderar.com ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Great report CM, really really well done to you and the guys, you were an absolute rock :) Hope I see you guys on many more adventures :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Outstanding race report CM, given me a real interest in AR after reading that. Sounds like the experience of a lifetime, with the bonus being you get to do it every year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Well done, massive respect to you & the guys. Great report. Saw the team photos on Facebook & ye indeed seem to be in good spirits each time!

Neady83 wrote: »
    Great report CM, really really well done to you and the guys, you were an absolute rock :) Hope I see you guys on many more adventures :)

Definitely. ITERA 2016 Keep your diary free ;)

• Advertisement

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Outstanding race report CM, given me a real interest in AR after reading that. Sounds like the experience of a lifetime, with the bonus being you get to do it every year :)

Thanks. You learn a lot about yourself and your team mates. I'd say it would be right up your street :)

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Well done, massive respect to you & the guys. Great report. Saw the team photos on Facebook & ye indeed seem to be in good spirits each time!

Hey joe :D I saw you'd liked our team photos on Facebook alright!! I thought we might bump into you pounding the pavements around UL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

I thought we might bump into you pounding the pavements around UL :D

Wasn't around! Was surprised to see ye down Waterford way. Grew up in the shadow of the Comeraghs (Rathgormuck) so know the country well.

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Wasn't around! Was surprised to see ye down Waterford way. Grew up in the shadow of the Comeraghs (Rathgormuck) so know the country well.

Ahh a native!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Hey CM what an epic race and performance from you and the guys, I'm sure they already know it but they are very lucky to have you in the team! Glad it went so well and you enjoyed it so much - not sure I could deal with the lack of sleep for one night, never mind 2!! Hope you are recovering/sleeping/eating well, no doubt you're already planning the next one :D

Runchick wrote: »
    Hey CM what an epic race and performance from you and the guys, I'm sure they already know it but they are very lucky to have you in the team! Glad it went so well and you enjoyed it so much - not sure I could deal with the lack of sleep for one night, never mind 2!! Hope you are recovering/sleeping/eating well, no doubt you're already planning the next one :D

Thanks Rc. Don't worry, I regularly remind the guys how lucky they are to have me!!!!

Sorry to hear about your hip problems. Such a nuisance! I hope you get it sorted without having to go down the surgery road.

Never stops!! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hail to Queen-Beastie!! :D Massive respect to you and your mates - so glad it went incredibly well for the four of you. And you're a girl after my own heart with your love for chocolate!! Fantastic report too!!! :)

Cheers Dory :) We got good mileage out of the whole 'Queen' thing. I even had it written on my bike box :D

Wk: Aug 3rd - 9th, Beast +1

Mon - Wed:
    Rest

Thurs:
    Swim: 1.2k

Fri:
    Run: 3m too fast

Sat/Sun:
    Rest

On the Monday after the Beast, I drove home from Limerick and then I slept for the rest of the day, just waking up at one point to get some food into me. I slept for most of Tuesday as well except I had to work for a couple of hours in the afternoon. My resting heart rate is normally low 40's. It was low 60's for a few days after the Beast and even climbing a flight of stairs had me knackered. I did a short swim on Thursday because I was feeling really lazy but I didn't have much energy in the pool. I think I did 3 x 200 sw, 200pb. On Friday my RHR was down to 50 so I said I'd chance a run. Both watches were out of power and I'm not really sure what pace I went at but it was too fast because my hip was niggly all weekend.

Wk: Aug 10th - 16th, Beast +2

Monday:
    2m recovery

I still hadn't charged up my watch properly and it died as soon as I was out the gate. I made sure this was recovery pace though and I've had no problems from my hip.

Tuesday:
    Swim: 1.8k
    200 easy
    200 kick
    200 fingertip
    200 pb
    200 sw
    200 shoulder tap
    200 pb
    4 x 25 fast/25 rec
    200 backstroke

I'm still holding my head too high when I swim and even when I make a conscious effort to lower it, it's still too high. So today I tried to slightly ventroflex my neck while I was swimming. I don't know what it looked like but it felt better. RHR 44 this morning so I'll hopefully be able to get back to proper training next week. For the rest of this week I'm just going to keep everything at recovery effort. I might do an hour on the road bike later. The chain on the MTB was covered in rust. The MTB was pretty filthy as well and I only got round to cleaning it properly yesterday. I couldn't get the bloody back wheel on for ages but now I've figured it out and I can get in on and off reasonably quickly. I need to get a turbo for the winter to work on my speed endurance and a new bike with a lighter frame and clip on pedals for ITERA :D

The plans for the rest of the year:
    Run: Next week I'm going to start base building for 6-8 weeks. One of the guys in work wants me to do Tullamore half marathon at the end of August. It's tempting because its a really well organised race on a nice course BUT I know there isn't a hope in hell I'll be able for 13.1 miles in two weeks so I must resist!!! I want to do cross country with the club in October and then aim for the half in Monasterevin on 22nd November. If I can't race it like I want to though I'll probably just do the 10k. I might do a couple of 5k's as well before the end of the year. If my hip plays ball I'm going to plan to regain my title in the Ballyhoura mountain marathon next May and that will bring me nicely into a summer of adventure racing :D

Bike: I need to be doing at least 3 sessions on the bike every week. I'll be alright for another 6 weeks or so but I really need to get a turbo for the winter

Swim: I want to keep doing 3 swim sessions a week as well. I find it really good for my overall fitness and for keeping my muscles supple

Core: Must must must get into the habit of doing core regularly and consistently. Will start this evening ;)

• Advertisement

You and I are thinking alike, only today I told one of my friends that I need to get a turbo for the winter :D and I need to learn to swim.

This dam adventure racing is sooooo addictive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

CM, Kayaking just happens to be excellent core work. It's also the big glaring ommision from your training plans if you're targetting AR. Doing ARs without good kayak training is like doing Tris without good swim training.

I'd also say to lay off the idea of scheduling in the turbo. Only use it in extreme weathers, like hurricane winds. Get out on the bike in the crap weather... after all you have to race in whatever the weather throws at you. Especially true of MTBing, where mud surfing is a skill in itself to be learned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Enduro wrote: »
    CM, Kayaking just happens to be excellent core work. It's also the big glaring ommision from your training plans if you're targetting AR. Doing ARs without good kayak training is like doing Tris without good swim training.

I'd also say to lay off the idea of scheduling in the turbo. Only use it in extreme weathers, like hurricane winds. Get out on the bike in the crap weather... after all you have to race in whatever the weather throws at you. Especially true of MTBing, where mud surfing is a skill in itself to be learned :)

Hear hear

Don't worry Kate, Sean & I will be planning some winter paddles for #TriHarderAR so none of you are going to get away with last minute.com paddling practice! If you are not around, I'll grab Neady instead :p

@Enduro - of course getting out on the MTB in all weather and times is best and we will do that but don't discount the turbo for value. Frosty mornings are beautiful and deadly on or off road. Turbo is bang for buck for busy lives (kids! or horses in CMs case :))

Thanks Enduro. I forgot about the kayaking! Yes I need to work on that too! A lot!!!!! Re the turbo, I did zero bike work over the winter and spring so I was trying to make plans to ensure that didn't happen again. You're dead right though I'd be far better to just spend a morning on the trails.

Mike we might need to 'borrow' Neady as well for the kayaking if Shane is not around :)

Hear hear

Don't worry Kate, Sean & I will be planning some winter paddles for #TriHarderAR so none of you are going to get away with last minute.com paddling practice! If you are not around, I'll grab Neady instead :p

Mike we might need to 'borrow' Neady as well for the kayaking if Shane is not around :)

Yes yes yes please do :):) I'm ripe for borrowing as I need paddling practice too and it will compliment my swimming lessons to be in the water - not that we'll be in the water, of course we won't be in the water ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Just to clarify a little R.E. the turbo, I literally mean don't schedule it, rather than don't ever do it! Schedule a proper cycle from your doorstep (trails or road... both have their value) using the same timeframe and deal with the weather, as dealing with the weather is a necessary evil in AR :) But if its too dangerous (like hurricane type winds), then of course switch over to the turbo rather than completely abandon a session. But no need to purposely actively schedule a turbo session.

Remember with Kayaking too that it is much more like swimming than running or cycling. Technique is much more important than strenght/fitness. So Kayak training should be very focussed on improving technique. Lessons from a good tutor are well worth it as early as possible in your long term training cycle, and should leave you with plenty to think about for each subsequent session (And if you are getting kayak lessons, you want to focus pretty much exclusively on forward paddling technique).

Cool thanks Enduro :)

Neady if you're paired with Sean there's a high probability you'll be swimming ;)

Wk: Aug 10th - 16th

Tuesday p.m:

Bike: 23k in 60min

Kept it nice and handy. I wanted to keep my legs spinning at a high cadence and get my shoulders used to the road bike. Followed by 25 minutes of core.

Wednesday:

Run: 6k recovery

I was going to have a rest day but then around 9pm I decided I needed some fresh air. I forgot to put my high vis vest on but thankfully the roads were quiet. I felt a bit sluggish.

Friday/Thursday:

Rest. Heart rate rocketed back up into the high 50's. I hate not training. I feel so lazy and useless and I'm still eating like I'm burning 10,000 calories a day. Not a good combo. I need to kick my chocolate habit :eek:

Saturday:

Run: 6k easy

Heart rate back close to normal. Left hip was a bit tight but it wasn't sore afterwards. It was easy effort but recovery pace. Watch was out of charge again but I think it was around 10:15/mile. I did a ring that goes through the bog and it's quite a nice surface to run on.

Sunday:

Bike: 26k in 2:08

I want to go mountain biking at least once every week if I can so this week it was off to my beloved Ballyhoura to do the brown loop. Mike wasn't sure if he'd be able to meet me so I waited till 12 in Ardpatrick for him and when there was no sign I headed off on my own. I didn't bring a jacket or a bag so I'd no room for my phone. I went the same way as we did in the Beast, cycling up the blackrock and hitting the trails from the back. It's a tough drag up that hill and my legs were complaining a bit. It's funny that it almost felt easier in the Beast after over 60 hours on the go. That's the power of adrenaline :D As I got nearer the start of the trails there were cars parked everywhere and lots of tape and I quickly discovered there was a massive MTB race on today. Some parts of the trails were closed off but it didn't really affect me too much. I mostly just wanted to get some uphill work done on the MTB. Although one of my very favourite things about Ballyhoura is the smell of vegetation and trees and damp earth and moss and that was somewhat ruined by the exhaust fumes from the motobikes that passed me several times early on. Thankfully once I got a bit higher they didn't annoy me anymore and I spent the rest of my time in splendid isolation contemplating the contradictory nature of the woods. At times peaceful and beautiful and at other times dark and sinister. I wandered around a bit at the end. There was a longish detour on the fireroads that took you out on the fitness loop which has about 12 or 13 timber obstacles that you have to climb or do sit ups on. I stopped and did the one with the monkey bars. Counts as core work for the day :D Legs are a bit tiredy now although when I got back to the car I had a text from Mike saying he'd arrived after me and finished before me so I can't have been working quite hard enough :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

You've gone all philosophical on us... lovely description of the woods :)

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    You've gone all philosophical on us... lovely description of the woods :)

Ha thanks .... I must be spending too much time with my bike ;)

Advertisement