Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of the frying pan, into the .... fish pond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice work. Getting the bike skills and endurance in. Spot on.

How is AKW getting on with hills? :cool::P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Neady83 wrote: »
    I fell over on my road bike at a stand still, I'd have no hope on the MTB :D

Ehhh...you do realise you're supposed to keep moving, don't you?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Dilbert75 wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qORouZ-qOgg

The boys came to a halt without forewarning and um, I wasn't really concentrating so I stopped and fell over :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Neady83 wrote: »
    Clippy MTBing, you're my hero :) I fell over on my road bike at a stand still, I'd have no hope on the MTB :D

Cheers :) I'm sure you'd manage just fine with a bit of practice ;)
    Nice work. Getting the bike skills and endurance in. Spot on.

How is AKW getting on with hills? :cool::P

Thanks Mike. Hope you're doing all your rehab exercises!! AKW is good with hills as you know. He's a bit preoccupied at the moment trying to decide which of the three Muskateers he'd rather be :D

Less of the lip strawberry boy :p

Tuesday

Run: 20min rec

Core: 30min

I was going to do another recovery run in the evening but the core session was focussed on my hips and abs and I had to work quite hard. My legs were tired after it and I didn't see the point

Wednesday

Run: Session
    20 min warm up with strides
    2 x 400 (85, 80)
    4 x 200 (41, 40, 39, 38)
    15 min cool down

This was very nearly canned in favour of a long recovery run. I decided to do it 10 minutes into the run because I was bored and I was running pain free. I'm doing a mile race on Saturday so aim was to run the 400's under 90 sec and the 200's under 44 sec. The recoveries were long. I walked the same distance. Happy with the way I felt on the faster bits and I had a cold bath when I finished and legs are happy now. I've got my first karate lesson this evening :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Karate, are you not tough enough already........

Less of the lip strawberry boy :p

Steady now turf girl....

tang1 wrote: »
    Karate, are you not tough enough already........

No not really :) It's a 90 minute class and they do loads of strength work!!!
    Steady now turf girl....

Ha nice comeback :)

Wednesday pm

Hip was sore. Wasn't thrilled about having to run around the hall to warm up for karate but I did it anyway. Hip wasn't sore running. Karate was brilliant. We did loads of press ups, planks, sit ups, stretches etc and then about 20 minutes practising our kicks. I did a bit of kickboxing and taekwondo in college so I was able to pick it up ok. There was only me and one other beginner there, David, so we were kind of thrown in at the deep end a bit but it was grand. For the last 30min one of the black belts Paul went through the proper technique for the 4 main kicks and the blocks with David and I while the others did advanced stuff. Hip was very sore after and that night. Some of it was good pain but a little bit of it, the bit that was concentrated in my left hip was bad pain. I'm going to stick with the karate though. You really get a good workout into your glutes. And everywhere else :)

Thursday

Swim: 1.6k + 30min aquajogging

Hip sore and I was knackered. Swimming was an effort. The water and in particular the aquajogging made my hip a bit better

Friday

Swim: 1.4k + 40min aquajogging

Hip still sore and resting heart rate very high. P!ssed off now. And desperate. Briefly consider going to see a PT but then I remember all the money I wasted on them last year and think better of it. For the moment. Hip improves after the pool.

Saturday

Hip still not 100% but not too bad. Wake up with a sore throat though and I know there's no point in doing the mile race. Am seriously p!ssed off and I eat about half a loaf of bread for breakfast plus a shed load of fruit plus yoghurt. Then I decide I better show my face at the track opening #supportingthenewclub When I get there the place is buzzing, the track looks fabulous, the sun is shining and the club captain tells me not to mind my sore throat and I can just jog around for a mile :eek: I didn't need much persuasion :D Luckily after the speeches and the kids races etc etc it was 3pm when our race was on and my breakfast was mostly digested. I did about 20 min warm up and stretches and strides with the other girls while we watched Ciara and Eoin Everard flaking it around the track and then we lined up. I set off fairly lively into the lead when the gun went. I may have even jumped the gun a small bit :o Sharon came up with me straight away and we went along at what felt like a solid pace side by side. There was a nasty enough headwind down the back straight so by the time we entered the home straight for the first time we were both working quite hard. Same story for the second and third lap. We seemed to be keeping a nice consistent pace and we were both breathing at much the same effort. Last time down the back and my legs felt like treacle. Sharon is a lot faster than me over the shorter distances but I have should have better endurance so I thought once I turned in I'd be able to kick away from here. She kicked before me though and I had nothing to go with her and she sprinted away from me. I finished 5 seconds behind her in 6:12. Not a brilliant time but all things considered it's ok. My throat is a bit raw now but my hip is good. I'll see how next week is going but I might think about going to a PT if it starts acting up.

I think a fully fit career move wouldn't have let her go, hope you feel better soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Been meaning to say, good to see you in a club finally :) When did this happen? Well done today, glad the hip held out.

I think a fully fit career move wouldn't have let her go, hope you feel better soon.

Thanks
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Been meaning to say, good to see you in a club finally :) When did this happen? Well done today, glad the hip held out.

Thanks. After the 5k in June but only got around to going to some club sessions in the last few weeks

Same hip? Glute Med? Hope not

Its most annoying :mad:

Yip :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

+++ 1 :) Fair play for going out and having a crack at it when you weren't feeling right Kate AND knocking out a podium finish.

Such a shame you're having ongoing problems with your hip, can't imagine managing an injury like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Yip :mad:

Ye laugh at me being old, but at least I've 2 decent hips. :P

Well done on the mile CM, glad I wasn't having to chase you down on the Galtees for my bag!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Sore throat, sore hip.... that's one fast mile in those circumstances!!

Are you sure karate is the best thing to be doing with your hip issues? there's a lot of kicking...

annapr wrote: »
    Are you sure karate is the best thing to be doing with your hip issues? there's a lot of kicking...

How else do you expect her to motivate #TeamTriHarder for Itera '16?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Tell me about your aquajogging! Are you suspended in the water, or running on the pool bottom in the shallow end?

AKW wrote: »
    Ye laugh at me being old, but at least I've 2 decent hips. :P

Can't argue with that :)
    annapr wrote: »
    Sore throat, sore hip.... that's one fast mile in those circumstances!!

Ooops too late. I've just bought a karate suit :D
    How else do you expect her to motivate #TeamTriHarder for Itera '16?

:D
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    Tell me about your aquajogging! Are you suspended in the water, or running on the pool bottom in the shallow end?

I start at the wall in the deep end and I jog like I would normally to about 1/3 of the way down the pool. Then I turn around and go back the same way. Sometimes I go on the ball of my foot and do high knees and other times I land flat on my foot and stretch my calves. I used to wear a suspension belt but I didn't find it that useful :)

• Advertisement

Sunday

Swim: 1.2k
    Aqua jog: 30 min

Monday

Run: 20 min rec
    Swim: 1k
    Aqua jog: 40min

Tuesday

Run am: 4.2k on bog roads
    12 min w/u
    4 x (2min fast, 2 min easy)
    5 min c/d

Run pm: 8k
    20 min track: 800m w/u, 3 x (100m fast, 100m easy, 200 fast, 400 easy)
    23 min field: Easy

I've had a head cold since Saturday. Lots of sneezing and sniffling and my RHR has been high but I don't feel miserable and my lymph glands weren't swollen so I've been training away at a low intensity. My hip was no worse after the mile race but I can't train properly with it. There's low grade pain there all the time and it was getting worse and making it difficult to sleep at night. I was complaining to the club coach about it and he suggested I see a PT in Carlow who seems to be well regarded. My options were pretty limited. If I keep running on it the way it is, I'm going to do serious damage and if I stop running I'll get rid of the pain but it's not really solving the problem. It took a while for him to answer his phone but I was delighted when he said he'd see me Tuesday evening. I ran Tuesday morning and my hip was a little worse starting off. But it loosened out after a while and the fast bits got progressively faster as I went on. It was about 5pm when I saw the PT. I was sceptical about him as he gets rave reviews and has some high profile clients but first impressions are positive. There's no bs. He says my hips are in a mess and I believe him! He got me to lie flat with my head face down and then he said this is going to hurt. I don't know what he did but he was spot on, it did hurt! Kind of like the pain you feel when your having a dislocated joint put back in. Then he did a few other manoeuvres which also hurt but not as much and that was it. I was surprised how much looser my hip felt when he'd finished. Still a bit sore but a different kind of pain that seemed to be coming more from the outside than deep in. He said I could an easy training session with the club that night and that I can do karate tonight and I can race in Sunday and I've to come back and see him next Monday. He says he can get me right so what's not to love :D Claire came with me to training last night and I didn't have to push myself too much to keep pace with her which was perfect for both of us. I'm still a bit sore today but it's not a dull achey pain anymore so fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Good news, hope it works out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Star Geoghegan it sound like??

Wednesday:

Karate: 90min

Lots of push ups, planks, stretching and kicking. Muscle in my left abdomen was a bit sore towards the end but fine the next day. No bother from my hip before, during or after :D

Thursday:

Run: 4 x (1 mile steady, 400m easy)

I was meant to meet up with 2 of the girls from the club for a run on grass but I gave Claire my car to go to Cork and I wasn't sure how late it would be when she got back so I did this on my own in the bog. Nice run. I felt good.

Friday:

Rest.

Saturday:

Run: 20 min rec + strides

Hip very good today. No pain at all when I got up this morning. I'm not perfect yet but I'm quite impressed with the improvement in my hip over the week, especially considering that if you exclude the trekking, it will be the most I've run in a week since May. Didn't get to the pool much this week mostly because Claire is home and she's avoiding the pool because she has a hole in her eardrum.

Sunday:

Run: Moyne 5k race

3rd woman in 20:46 (3:57, 4:07, 3:58, 4:02, 4:42)

Happy enough with this although I would have been happier if it was <20:30. Still have a bit of a head cold and I should have been more disciplined over the first k. The start was very fast. I think the leaders went through the first k in 3:06. Two women went off very fast and I knew I had no hope of matching pace with them but I didn't keep to my planned pace of 4:05 mostly because Angela was on my shoulder and I didn't want her opening a gap on me. I think she dropped back off me after about 2 and a half k. I passed one man then and there was another couple about 15m in front of me. We turned into the wind then but I was too far back off them to get much shelter. The hill after the 4k mark nearly had me walking but then there was a nice little downhill and we turned out of the wind to head back to the finish. My legs were dead at this stage and I wasn't looking at my watch but I knew I was leaking time and it was a bit disappointing that I couldn't take advantage of the gentle decline down to the finish line. Couldn't hear anyone behind me and the lads were too far ahead to offer much motivation to speed up. Not a bad race all things considered. The first two women, I think both run for Thurles Crokes, finished in 18:48 and 19:05 so even in my best form at the moment, I'd have struggled to finish better than third. Angela was fourth in 21:03 which was a super time from her in her first 5k. We should do well in the xc in a couple of weeks :D

Great stuff again Kate, your racking up the podium finishes fair play.

How the hell are you even running, yet alone podium'ing with the dodgy hip? Is it healed already? Mine is in a jock. So frustrating :mad:

How the hell are you even running, yet alone podium'ing with the dodgy hip? Is it healed already? Mine is in a jock. So frustrating :mad:

Well whatever The Miracle Man did last Tuesday has really improved it. I'm seeing him again today. If you have the time/inclination to go to Carlow I'd really recommend a visit to him. I suppose I've had this for 16 months as well so it would want to be getting right at this stage!

Monday:

Run: 20 min rec

Hamstrings were a tiny bit stiff but they felt much better after this run around the bog. Hip was pretty good. Went to see the PT after work. Had to wait ages to see him and I was quite sore afterwards.

Tuesday:

Run a.m: 20 min rec

Legs still a bit sore

Bike p.m: 31.5k easy-ish until the last 10k when I picked up the pace a bit. I don't know how it's possible, because I was cycling more or less in a rectangular route, but I seemed to be going into a headwind the whole way :confused:

Run p.m: Club session 7.2k total

The coaches were gone with the kids to a xc race this evening and apparently had left word that we were to do 4 x 800 with 800 rec. I didn't want to do that so Angela, Susan, Claire and I did the following on the track:
    11 min w/u
    2 x 400 @ 10k pace w 200 easy rec
    4 x 200 @ 5k pace w 200 easy rec
    And then in the field:
    16 min easy (We were going to do 25 but it got too dark)

• Advertisement

Wednesday:

Run: 40 min easy

Hip was a bit stiff this morning. I spent about 10 minutes stretching before I ran and that seemed to help. Legs were tired but I did a good bit yesterday so that's ok.

Karate: 90 min :D

Loving this class. Legs felt good afterwards

We jumped the horses over a couple of hurdles today. They get all excited when they jump :D Claire took some photos ...

vg_zpstktpivd2.jpg

jm_zpsqognqkws.jpg

mj_zpsilxouosr.jpg

Thursday:

Swim: 1k
    200 easy, 200 kick, 400 pb, 200 easy

I feel guilty when I don't swim because I know it's good for me. Didn't do much but my legs appreciated it

Advertisement