Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of the frying pan, into the .... fish pond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Well done on Sunday Kate, those podium finishes are getting more frequent .... even with a sore hip and a cold, there's no holding you back :)

Love the actions pics of the horses. They're very beautiful colours. What's your called?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Neady83 wrote: »
    Well done on Sunday Kate, those podium finishes are getting more frequent .... even with a sore hip and a cold, there's no holding you back :)

Love the actions pics of the horses. They're very beautiful colours. What's your called?

Thanks. They're my babies :D I'm on Career High in the first two and Mireya in the third :D

Are you looking forward to the 3/4 in Athlone?

tang1 wrote: »
    I think a fully fit career move wouldn't have let her go, hope you feel better soon.
    Thanks. They're my babies :D I'm on Career High in the first two and Mireya in the third :D

Are you looking forward to the 3/4 in Athlone?

Awesome names, I was thinking the one you are riding looked darker in the third pic but figured it was just the lighting and angle of the photo. Riding horses means you have really strong quads and a strong core right? Do you do any specific training for horse riding?

I'm a mixture of nervous and excited about Athlone. I'm using it as a proper dress rehearsal for the big one (though at training pace) but I plan to carry gels and take them when I plan to in Dublin. It's also the last long run eeeekkkkkk

I love the boards plan BTW, thank you, I know you had a big part to play in it's inception :)

Awesome names, I was thinking the one you are riding looked darker in the third pic but figured it was just the lighting and angle of the photo. Riding horses means you have really strong quads and a strong core right? Do you do any specific training for horse riding?

I'm a mixture of nervous and excited about Athlone. I'm using it as a proper dress rehearsal for the big one (though at training pace) but I plan to carry gels and take them when I plan to in Dublin. It's also the last long run eeeekkkkkk

I love the boards plan BTW, thank you, I know you had a big part to play in it's inception :)

Riding horses means I have a fractured skull, broken nose, broken collarbone and a ruptured spleen amongst other things but ya I guess it gives you a strong core too :D No I don't do any specific stuff. Running is great for it cause it gets you aerobically fit and if I was a pro or racing a lot you'd benefit from using the simulator so that at the end of a race you still had a good position. They cost a lot of money though!

I loved Athlone when I did it before DCM in 2012. The pacers are usually from boards and they do a great job, it's really well organised with loads of fruit and jellies at the aid stations and it's such a confidence booster. You'll fly it ;)

Thanks a mill. I'm glad you're enjoying it. Having a good plan makes life so much easier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Riding horses means I have a fractured skull, broken nose, broken collarbone and a ruptured spleen

:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »

My thoughts exactly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

I was thinking you've gotten away lightly.....

Dory Dory wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly :(
    pointer28 wrote: »
    I was thinking you've gotten away lightly.....

Ya spread out over 30 years it's not bad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

:o I was thinking she makes the rest of #TriHarderAR look like pussies.... :o

I only broke my collarbone and dislocated a shoulder...getting onto a MTB :(

AKW wrote: »
    :o I was thinking she makes the rest of #TriHarderAR look like pussies.... :o

I only broke my collarbone and dislocated a shoulder...getting onto a MTB :(

It all counts ;) Anyway you don't have to be tough. I can carry your bag for you. You just have to read the map :D

• Advertisement

Friday:

Run 1: 17 min steady + strides

I wanted to go a tiny bit faster this morning just to mix it up a bit. Legs felt good :)

Bike: 14.5 k

Gave Claire my car so borrowed my Dads high Nellie to cycle to work because I figured it was unlikely to be stolen. Had to pedal like a mad woman to get to work on time!!

Run 2: Club session

13 min warmup on the track
    3 miles tempo on grass (7:15, 7:12, 7:11)
    4 x 110m sprints on track

Good session. It was getting progressively darker in the field for the tempo miles so I was surprised and very happy that I was able to keep the pace going. Kept it nice and controlled for the sprints and finished up with some stretches :D

Saturday:

Run: 21 min rec

Sunday:

Run: 11k easy

11k is the furthest I've run for a while. Hip was a bit niggly starting off but I was running with Claire and Ian and the pace was handy and it's good now. I did some exercises and stretches after, which always helps. I would have liked to do a bit more because I want to race a half marathon in 10 weeks but I've run 6/7 days this week (27.5m) and my weekly mileage since the Beast is 3, 9.5, 18, 20, 15.5, 8, 22, 27.5 so I didn't want to overdo it. Next week is an easy week because I have the county novice xc on Sunday. Can't wait for that :D Finished off the day with a 2hr hike in the hills around Cullahill :D

Monday:

Swim: 1.2k

Easy, kick, drills, pb, more easy. I was tired and this was just a recovery swim really. I'm still really slow but I do feel like I'm swimming higher in the water these days :)

Tuesday:

Bike: 14.5k

Into work on Dads bike. It was hard work even though it was just over 20min each way!

Run: Club Session

Track: 200, 400, 800, 800, 400, 200

John wanted us to do some speed work before the race on Sunday. Angela was working so it was just Susan and I. We did 4 laps to warm up then into the faster stuff before the kids came. Not too sure of times. Think the first 400 am was in 80secs and the 800's were 3:18 and 3:06. I messed up the lap splits by pushing the stop button for the others. The last 3 reps all felt faster anyway and I had that jelly feeling in my legs when we had finished so job done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Good luck on Sunday! What's the reasoning behind track training for cross country?

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Good luck on Sunday! What's the reasoning behind track training for cross country?

Thanks! I don't know. What's the reasoning behind track training for road racing?

Hehe I dunno...I do track training for track racing :D

Hehe I dunno...I do track training for track racing :D

Interesting

But on a serious note, track training - on a level surface, like road - will train you to run by pace and give you a fast leg turnover specific to your distance. Track and road race training frequently overlap.

Cross country racing however is all about effort, not pace, and cross country-specific training will focus on maintaining effort levels over a variety of terrains and elevations.
    I've always been taught to not over-train on track, to save that intensity for the training block prior to track racing (or road as I find myself doing now, didn't do any road racing back then).

Just wondering anyway, your coach will know what he/she is doing.

But on a serious note, track training - on a level surface, like road - will train you to run by pace and give you a fast leg turnover specific to your distance. Track and road race training frequently overlap.

Cross country racing however is all about effort, not pace, and cross country-specific training will focus on maintaining effort levels over a variety of terrains and elevations.
    I've always been taught to not over-train on track, to save that intensity for the training block prior to track racing (or road as I find myself doing now, didn't do any road racing back then).

Just wondering anyway, your coach will know what he/she is doing.

Thanks for your input but I don't really understand what point you're trying to make. I didn't run as a kid and I've only recently joined a club so I realise I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to all the different training regimes but I read a lot of logs and just off the top of my head I can think of several (pconn, kielyunusual, ecoli) who would use the track during the cross country season. I'm racing on Sunday so all I wanted was a little sharpener yesterday. We were running to effort hence the differences in rep times (the two 800's @ 3:18 and 3:06 - the first being slower because we ran the 400 too fast in 80secs and only took 200m recoveries) and the reason I only managed to get 3 split times. Paddy had a group of juniors over in the field and it would have been difficult to avoid them and anyway the field is not conducive to doing intervals as it's too short) Also it was getting dark and both Susan and I are returning from injury and find the track much kinder on our legs than either the road or the field. I presume my coach knows what he's doing as he's been running/training xc for the last 40 years

Woah easy tiger :D I'm a relative newbie too y'know ;) When I ran as a kid, I never questioned the theories, structures and progression of cross country and track training, just turned up and did what I was told.
    Now, I'm more interested in the process and when reading about training techniques and approaches I go 'oh yeah, that's why we did such-and-such at such-a-time-of-year.

The point I was making was that a track session may have less benefit than a grass session in prep for a XC race. I had Myles Splitz' frequent references to race-specificity* in mind but I was also hoping you'd be able to give me more info. I'm like that at the moment, greedy for all information on running :) I hope you didn't think I was being sarcastic re your coach, I do actually presume he knows what he's doing and in this instance I am missing something, something I want to find out about: the role of track sessions in XC training.

*as well as the terrain, the gait and loading process for cross country running is very different to that of road and track but if XC is not a priority this season, then perhaps XC-specific training is not going to feature much in your training.
    Anyway, you just clarified why grass wasn't the best option for this session :)

I found these links useful, maybe you will too.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/xcountry.htm

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/cross-country-specific-training-tips

http://www.everythingtrackandfield.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PBOnePieceView?storeId=10152&catalogId=10753&pagename=309

And an interesting justification for track 6x800s in xc season for (young!) college athletes:
    http://www.coacheseducation.com/xc/jeff-arbogast-oct-00.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Jeez K...touchy... Will I send you up a Snickers? :P :D

The biggest value I used to find in training off track for xc was in getting used to the surface and the absorbant nature of the ground. It's obviously a different feel than a hard surface and could be unsettling if you weren't used to it. But seeing you run fairly regularly on grass it's not going to make much difference if you also train on track. In fact it's a lot easier to do sessions like structured intervals on track.

Woah easy tiger :D I'm a relative newbie too y'know ;) When I ran as a kid, I never questioned the theories, structures and progression of cross country and track training, just turned up and did what I was told.
    Now, I'm more interested in the process and when reading about training techniques and approaches I go 'oh yeah, that's why we did such-and-such at such-a-time-of-year.

The point I was making was that a track session may have less benefit than a grass session in prep for a XC race. I had Myles Splitz' frequent references to race-specificity* in mind but I was also hoping you'd be able to give me more info. I'm like that at the moment, greedy for all information on running :) I hope you didn't think I was being sarcastic re your coach, I do actually presume he knows what he's doing and in this instance I am missing something, something I want to find out about: the role of track sessions in XC training.

*as well as the terrain, the gait and loading process for cross country running is very different to that of road and track but if XC is not a priority this season, then perhaps XC-specific training is not going to feature much in your training.
    Anyway, you just clarified why grass wasn't the best option for this session :)

I found these links useful, maybe you will too.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/xcountry.htm

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/cross-country-specific-training-tips

http://www.everythingtrackandfield.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PBOnePieceView?storeId=10152&catalogId=10753&pagename=309

And an interesting justification for track 6x800s in xc season for (young!) college athletes:
    http://www.coacheseducation.com/xc/jeff-arbogast-oct-00.php

Sorry. Bad day for me :o But I'm just back from a brilliant karate class and I have punched all the rage out! Also cute karate guy was there this week. Mmmh eye candy :D

Thanks for the links. I'm knackered now but I'll have a read through of them tomorrow :D

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Jeez K...touchy... Will I send you up a Snickers? :P :D

The biggest value I used to find in training off track for xc was in getting used to the surface and the absorbant nature of the ground. It's obviously a different feel than a hard surface and could be unsettling if you weren't used to it. But seeing you run fairly regularly on grass it's not going to make much difference if you also train on track. In fact it's a lot easier to do sessions like structured intervals on track.

Thanks. I could always find a good home for a snickers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I notice karate has gone from 90 mins of strength work to "mmm eye candy"

#justsayin'

#justsayin'

Just keepin my mind off the pain ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

#justsayin'

No wonder she bought the outfit :D

annapr wrote: »
    No wonder she bought the outfit :D

A scurrilous accusation :eek:

Hi again, hope the snickers did its job :)

'The question' yesterday got me asking around about the role of track training in XC. I ran it by my dad and I'll cut his long story short (got a potted history of the phases of - and approaches to - xc training since 1950!) ...

According to the pa, track training usen't to be a widely accepted part of XC training* but now, twice or once a month can be a useful tool if only to "break the monotony" of traditional xc training and prevent stagnation etc. So there, you fresh thing :D

*Mind you, some approaches we would call plain 'wrong' now seemed to work wonders back then. His neighbour, Olympian Bertie Messitt, used to go out the day before a XC race and run - hard, not your average strides - 10x300m along a packed gravel track :eek:

Hi again, hope the snickers did its job :)

'The question' yesterday got me asking around about the role of track training in XC. I ran it by my dad and I'll cut his long story short (got a potted history of the phases of - and approaches to - xc training since 1950!) ...

According to the pa, track training usen't to be a widely accepted part of XC training* but now, twice or once a month can be a useful tool if only to "break the monotony" of traditional xc training and prevent stagnation etc. So there, you fresh thing :D

*Mind you, some approaches we would call plain 'wrong' now seemed to work wonders back then. His neighbour, Olympian Bertie Messitt, used to go out the day before a XC race and run - hard, not your average strides - 10x300m along a packed gravel track :eek:

Cool thanks for the info. Haha 'fresh' is not how I'm feeling right now!!!!

• Advertisement

Wednesday:

Back to Carlow for a biomechanical assessment because the PT said he can fix me temporarily but it's a waste of time unless we know what the root cause is. My body is well balanced when I'm weight bearing on both legs but the difference when it's right only and left only was an eye opener. Went through a series of postures and body positions and basically the left glute med is weak and isn't supporting the pelvis properly during the swing phase when I run. No surprises there but it was interesting to see the difference between my right and left legs for myself. I've been given a couple of exercises to do religiously every day (no set number just to burn +5)and some stretches and then back for a follow up in 4/5 weeks. It's looking like a fairly long rehab and although I knew this was probably the case, it's still a kick in the proverbial balls. What I like though is that I'm free to keep exercising away in whatever way takes my fancy so off to karate with me that evening. In spite of the visual delights it was a really tough but enjoyable 90 minutes :)

Thursday:

Run: 4m @ 8:05

Legs were a bit tired but I wanted to run a bit faster than normal so decided on 2 x (1 steady, 1 easy). Hit the paces easily and my breathing was good. I had a headache for the rest of the day though. I thought it might have been an electrolyte imbalance and I took some about an hour after I'd finished but it never really went away.

Friday:

Rest. Had planned a swim to help with the DOMS in my right calf and lower hamstring from the karate but I'm sick :( Glands swollen, sinuses hurt, sore throat yada, yada. Stupid body. Can't get warm. Going to have a hot bath later. Might do a short slow run tomorrow and some strides or nothing. Who could say?

Advertisement