Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of the frying pan, into the .... fish pond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Sorry to hear you're sick CM, does this put Sundays XC out of the running?

S**te news on your injury too but at least you have karate to keep your mind and eyes occupied ;) How long do they reckon until you're fully recovered? You're doing serious damage in race with the injury you have, there will be no stopping you when you're fully recovered :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Neady83 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you're sick CM, does this put Sundays XC out of the running?

S**te news on your injury too but at least you have karate to keep your mind and eyes occupied ;) How long do they reckon until you're fully recovered? You're doing serious damage in race with the injury you have, there will be no stopping you when you're fully recovered :)

Well now let's not be hasty! It is only Friday after all. I have all day tomorrow to recover :D Seriously though unless I'm very chesty I will run because it's only 3 or 4 k and I'd feel like I was letting the other girls down if I didn't show!

:D Re injury there's no definite time frame been mentioned. Depends how I progress with the exercises. Should know more at the check up in 4 weeks but I'd imagine it's something I'm always going to have to work on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Experienced something similar myself with the hip strength earlier this year, couldn't believe how much weaker my left was compared to the right one. Took a while to strengthen it up but I have minimal issues with it now and goes as far to say it's nearly as strong as my right one now.

tang1 wrote: »
    Experienced something similar myself with the hip strength earlier this year, couldn't believe how much weaker my left was compared to the right one. Took a while to strengthen it up but I have minimal issues with it now and goes as far to say it's nearly as strong as my right one now.

Excellent :D Do you still do the exercises?

Excellent :D Do you still do the exercises?

I'll do them once a week at least post run, great for strengthening other areas of the legs to I think. My quads have firmed up greatly since starting them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I hope you didn't run today, missis!!! and that you feel better... if you don't, skip the xc tomorrow, you're not doing your teammates any favours if you're too sick to run!!!

(lecture over :))

annapr wrote: »
    I hope you didn't run today, missis!!! and that you feel better... if you don't, skip the xc tomorrow, you're not doing your teammates any favours if you're too sick to run!!!

+1 but your made of Teflon and probably did run, hope tomorrow goes well.

annapr wrote: »

Thanks Anna. Good advice (see below :))
    +1 but your made of Teflon and probably did run, hope tomorrow goes well.

Haha :D No Barry the Lurgy has defeated me :( I was holding horses for the blacksmith this morning and I had to sit down on the stable floor to stop myself fainting. I kind of decided then it might be a wise decision to skip the race. Also my RHR was 25 beats higher than normal :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Ah crap. Never mind - it's only a race. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Or at least that's what I'm thinking now I'm finished trying to figure out who Barry the Lurgy is....:o

Hope you feel better soon, you need the rest.

"Barry the Lurgy" love it :pac: :pac:

• Advertisement

Ooops shoulda used a comma :D:D:D

Sorry to hear that sunday didn't work out CM. How're you feeling? More importantly, will you make it to watch eye candy karate training this week?

Ooops shoulda used a comma :D:D:D

It could be the difference between "let's eat, Grandma" and "let's eat Grandma"...

Sorry to hear that sunday didn't work out CM. How're you feeling? More importantly, will you make it to watch eye candy karate training this week?
    Thanks still sick unfortunately. I'm not sure if even cute karate guy can make a 90 minute karate class appealing this week but I'll see how I am tomorrow. How are you after the weekend. That was a savage run. Full steam ahead now for DCM and a finish time beginning with 3:xx:xx :D
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    It could be the difference between "let's eat, Grandma" and "let's eat Grandma"...

You should have been a teacher ;) Hope you've recovered well too and are all set for Skibbereen!

Thanks still sick unfortunately. I'm not sure if even cute karate guy can make a 90 minute karate class appealing this week but I'll see how I am tomorrow. How are you after the weekend. That was a savage run. Full steam ahead now for DCM and a finish time beginning with 3:xx:xx :D

Awh shoot, sorry to hear that and you're made of steel so you must be really sick :( I hope you're feeling better soon.

Thank you, the crew in Athlon really made it easy for us with all the goodies at the water stations and the unbelievable support around the course. You were bang on when you said it was an awesome race. I really enjoyed it.

Oh 3:xx:xx, it's the dream, I think you've more faith in me than I do :)

Hope you've recovered well too and are all set for Skibbereen!

$hit I hoped I hadn't told you about that. You might consider a softer target for me this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I hope you are feeling better!!!! (cute karate guy??? ;))

Oh 3:xx:xx, it's the dream, I think you've more faith in me than I do :)

Positive thinking Missy. You just have to make it happen. Stick to Marthastew like a limpet until you're over the flyover at UCD and then slowly edge on. Don't speed up too quickly. The last few miles will hurt but it'll be good pain and if you keep focused on passing people it'll keep your mind occupied :)
    $hit I hoped I hadn't told you about that. You might consider a softer target for me this time.

4 and a half and that's being generous :p
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    I hope you are feeling better!!!! (cute karate guy??? ;))

Thanks better today :D Tall, good looking, athletic (although his plank needs some work ;))

Sunday - Wednesday:

Sick :(

Can't believe my crappy timing. I never get really sick. Disgusted to miss out on the county novice and a silver team medal on Sunday. I went to see the girls running and to get a bit of fresh air. It was a tough course and they all ran really well. I miss out on the novice B as well now because I didn't run which is another disappointment. I know I did the right thing not running, especially as it was windy and cold Sunday and it would only have made me worse but still it's hard to take. The county intermediates are on Sunday week and I'll be doing well to get to them fit and healthy. I am feeling better today but my heart rate was still a bit high this morning and my throat is still a bit sore. I'm going to go to karate tonight. I think it would do me good :D but I'll wait until my RHR drops below 45 again until I do a run. Hopefully that will be tomorrow and I'll have 10 days before the xc and the plan would be 2 easy runs, lsr, rest, easy, hilly tempo, rec, easy, rest, rec, race.

4 and a half and that's being generous :p

You do realise it's longer than the one with the 5:30 target, don't you? :O

• Advertisement

Tall, good looking, athletic (although his plank needs some work ;))

Didn't realise TbL was into the karate.........

You do realise it's longer than the one with the 5:30 target, don't you? :O

No thought it was shorter. Ok you can have 5 hours so seeing as you'll have learned from your mistakes the last day and you were sandbagging anyway :P
    Didn't realise TbL was into the karate.........

You have no idea! That lemon is into a lot of funny things ;):D

No thought it was shorter. Ok you can have 5 hours so seeing as you'll have learned from your mistakes the last day and you were sandbagging anyway :P

You're too good. :/

Thursday - Saturday:

Nothing.

Still sick. My tonsils were very inflamed. I had a great sleep last night. Maybe 12hrs and I feel a lot better tonight. And I'm not just saying that to make it come true!! I'm hoping to run tomorrow. I was planning on doing the HM in Monasterevin in November but there's no way I'm going to be ready for that so I've entered Waterford on the 6th December. It's still going to be tight but if everything goes swimmingly in the next 8 weeks I think I can get under 1:35. It's not the end of the world if I don't and as a back up I've entered the 10mile in Dungarvan at the end of January. I want to try and do that at 6:55 pace so lots of work to do! The only thing keeping me sane at the moment is that the horses are in brilliant form and we're all systems go to hit the racecourse in the next few weeks :D

I hope you're fully recovered before you consider racing. If not you could have a relapse and be out for weeks. Is one intermediate xc race worth that risk?

I hope you're fully recovered before you consider racing. If not you could have a relapse and be out for weeks. Is one intermediate xc race worth that risk?

Well I had planned if I was back running next week to run it as a tempo session but now that you've highlighted it and I've thought about it, I think I'll just do easy runs all next week. Thanks :)

Well I had planned if I was back running next week to run it as a tempo session but now that you've highlighted it and I've thought about it, I think I'll just do easy runs all next week. Thanks :)

Very sensible!!!!!

Glad to hear you're on the mend.

Not at all - we're all here to sanity check each other.

So can I have (at least) a half hour on my target time for SCAR?:P:D

Not at all - we're all here to sanity check each other.

So can I have (at least) a half hour on my target time for SCAR?:P:D

You can have it but you don't need it ;)

• Advertisement

You can have it but you don't need it ;)

You wouldn't be saying that if you'd been cycling with me this morning... :(

Advertisement