Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of the frying pan, into the .... fish pond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    How are you today after yesterday's events?

Flying it, thanks :D How bout yourself???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Flying it, thanks :D How bout yourself???

Grand. Bit dead in the legs but that's Mondays for you!

Grand. Bit dead in the legs but that's Mondays for you!

Ah, probably a bit of old age catching up on you as well .... I wouldn't worry about it ;)

Ah, probably a bit of old age catching up on you as well .... I wouldn't worry about it ;)

Gee thanks K. You're a pal. In time that will come back to haunt you. ;)

Gee thanks K. You're a pal. In time that will come back to haunt you. ;)

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Just catching up here CM. Great running and congrats on the county gold, well done:)

Monday:

Run: 3m recovery

I was going to take a rest day but I needed to go to the post office and I thought I may as well run there. It was a sunny afternoon and it felt good to be out and about. I stopped after 3 miles and walked the last mile home - trying not to do too much too quickly and although my legs felt good the pace was slower than 11 min/mi which tells me that they weren't recovered properly.

Tuesday:

Run: 5m @ 9:16

I was meant to meet the girls at the club tonight but I had to work this afternoon and then we were going to be late and I wanted to go swimming so decided to get this done this morning. The pace felt faster than it was so I'm actually delighted that I didn't do any kind of a session today. I explored a bit more of the bog. I've nearly found a way to circumnavigate it without going back onto the road but I had to jump across a deep drain. Unfortunately I didn't put in a good jump and I ended up knee deep in bog water. Ahhh happy memories #Rogaine

Ended up not going to the pool either. Lazy lazy lazy :( Will have to go tomorrow before karate!

Wednesday:

Swim: 1.4k
    Easy/pb/drills .... a lazy kind of a swim. I need to get my swim mojo back. Next week I'm gonna be super fishy :D

Karate: 90mins
    Easier than last week except we spent a good bit of time sparring. I got punched in the eye :( That'll teach me to keep my block up ;)

Thursday:

Run: 5m @ 8:54
    Last mile @ steady pace.

Karate: 90min
    This is the first week I've been recovered enough to do the two classes. It's on in a different hall on a Thursday so we have proper mats which are lovely especially for the stretches.

Friday:

Run: 8.1m @ 8:43
    Legs were tired. The first two miles I just wanted to stop and walk, then I felt great, then I was tired and the last mile was just putting one foot in front of the other. My breathing was excellent though and despite all the tiredness, I spent a lot of the run telling myself to slow down :confused: I was in work early this morning and I meant to go swimming afterwards but I didn't. I told myself I'd go this evening but that's looking unlikely now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Do you have a black eye from being punched in the eye?

Dory Dory wrote: »

More to the point has your sparring partner been moved out of ICU yet? :P

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »

No. We had gloves on and she just scratched the skin to the side of my eye :)
    More to the point has your sparring partner been moved out of ICU yet? :P

:D

Saturday:

6k recovery

A fairly uneventful run until I met two bulls on the road about a mile from home. Two fully grown Limousines parked in the middle of the road having the craic. I momentarily considered sprinting past them but I don't like bulls at the best of times and I value my life too much. They were kind of play fighting with other. Then they got fed up of that and starting trying to ram their heads through the ditch. After a few minutes they decided to go back up the road where they had come from, which thankfully was the opposite way to the way I wanted to go. One of the cars that was waiting went in to tell their owner and I jogged home.

Sunday:

Did some hip stuff

Monday:

6k easy.

It was nice when I was out running but the rest of the day was a bit manky. Was in Galway with the horses. One of them ran well. One of them ran bleugh.

Tuesday:

Nothing. I was going to swim but I needed to clip the hair off two of the horses. It takes a good hour to do one and my arm was sore from holding the clipping machine. I was supposed to meet the girls at the club to do a tempo run but I had to work late.

Wednesday:

Run: 3 x 9min @ HMP

Met Susan at the club this morning. We had to climb over the fence because the gate was locked. There was a couple of anxious moments when we were suspended over the spikes trying to get our footing in order but we got to the other side in one piece! After 15 minutes warming up we started into the faster stuff. My plan was 3 x 2k @ 4:30 (my HMP, Susan's T pace) with 2 min recoveries. We ended up going a bit faster than 4:30 so we just kept going till the 9 minutes was up cause I wasn't sure how accurate the garmin is on the track. 2k splits were 8:42, 8:31, 8:11. Pretty happy with how I felt and a good way to start the day :D Have karate later and I might go for a swim beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

These Karate skills will no doubt come in handy in AR at some point. Special Task for 50pts... fight THAT team . Winner gets an extra 50 BP :D

Your Karate, My Judo and AKWs oldmankungfooyodawisdomness :D

Managing bulls not uncommon either. Featured in one of those American ARs recently

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Your Karate, My Judo and AKWs oldmankungfooyodawisdomness justsitonthemuntiltheysubmit :D

I changed disciplines :D

Thursday:

Run: 7k steady

Met the girls first thing at the club and we did the 5k loop. John had opened the gate when we got back so we did the last bit on the track. Karate in the evening. Tough session with lots of strength work. We're doing a tournament in a couple of weeks. Kind of exciting :D:

Friday:

Run: 10.3m
    2m @ 8:20
    1m @ 7:33
    1m @ 8:44
    1m@ 7:09
    2m @ 8:38
    1m @ 6:59
    1.3m @ 8:56

Met Angela and Susan again this morning. I wanted to do a long run and mix up the paces a bit. I think it's a brilliant way to improve your fitness and I'm a bit concerned I'm not going to have enough long runs done for the HM. The furthest the girls have ever done is 13k. I think because the club mostly caters for kids, there isn't any emphasis put on the long run. So I had a route planned that I thought was about 8.5/9 miles but I calculated it wrong and I think girls were fit to kill me cause it was a tough enough session. You do work way harder when you're running with people. I've missed my long runs and that tired ache you get in your legs so that you feel like you've been run over by a bus a couple of times :D

Saturday:

Run: 30 min recovery

Was at a halloween party Friday night and this was more of a death march than a run. I didn't get much notice for a costume so I just went as a runner. I'm sure somebody finds runners scary right?? Anyway it was dead handy cause I just fell into bed and when I woke I was all ready to go for my run :D

Sunday:

90 min karate

Bonus class to perfect my kata. There was only 5 of us and it was really good. I was all set to go for a swim after but I was just so hungry. Karate burns a heap of calories. That's my excuse anyway ;)

Run: 30 min recovery

It was such a beautiful day yesterday and the sun highlighted a forest full of autumnal reds and oranges. The leaves almost made a thick carpet in places. Really enjoyed this even though I was a bit tired at the end.

Monday:

Run: 4.35m @ 8:41

I feel pretty well recovered from Friday's run so I threw in some strides at the end. October was a good enough month training wise. Sick for 10 days but I got a few good sessions done, the xc race and my hip is under control so I feel like I can keep building. Just under 5 weeks to the half marathon though. Time is against me but I don't want to pile on the workload and get injured again so I'm just going to have to accept that it's going to be a bit slower than I want. I'm thinking I'll give the marathon a miss again next year. Try and get through a full year without being injured and do what I wanted to do a couple of years ago which is to get my HM time under 1:30 :D

Tuesday:

Run: 12 x 400

It was dark when we did these but it's fun running in the track in the dark! I thought it was just Susan and I on the track so I got a fright when I heard footsteps behind me during our warmup. We'd just gone past some cattle grazing in the field next to the track and I turned around to see what they were doing and when I saw someone running right behind me I screamed. I think I gave her as much of a fright as she gave me :D Anyway the 400's were good. Couldn't see my watch so just went by effort but when I checked the paces after I was very happy cause each rep was faster than the previous one.

Wednesday:

Run: 5k recovery

Karate: 90 min

Thursday:

Friday:

Rest. Arms and sides were sore!

Saturday:

Bike: 57k

Group spin. We stopped about halfway at this fab little cafe called The Cottage for breakfast. Yum :D We did some sprints on the way home to burn those calories. Tough but good

Run: 11.8m @ 8:24

Mentally this was very hard. I did it about half an hour after the bike and I was tired but I needed to get this done today. The first five miles were the hardest but the pace was good. I'm happy with the way things are going the last few weeks.

Sunday:

Tired. Probably should have given this a miss but we have a tournament this Sunday and I need the practice! Had to stop several times to stretch my hamstrings but no harm done :)

Monday:

Run: 35 min @ 10:40

Tuesday:

Run: Tempo session

25min w/u, 15 min @ 7:06, 10 min easy, 3 laps sprint straights, walk bends.

I "may" have overdone it on Saturday with the bike and the long run. I had planned 2 x 15 min T but the first 15min were a bit faster than I wanted and my legs were a bit tired anyway. The girls have the novice b on Sunday so we decided to play safe and do a few strides instead.

Wednesday:

Run: 35 min @ 10:29

Swim: 1.5k sw/pb + a bit of backstroke

Yay finally made it to the pool!

Thursday:

Tired today. Was going to run early but my leaba was too comfy and warm. And I decided I needed a step back week anyway :)

Friday:

Run: 7m @ 9:05

This is my long run this week. Touch wood the karate is really helping with my hips but I still need to build slowly! And I am so tired this week. First two miles were slow but I got into a groove then and I was flying at the end. Felt good and could have kept going for longer. Swim later, bike tomorrow, karate Sunday and maybe a recovery run :D

Saturday:

Swim: 1.2k

Not bad. Did a 100mTT in 2:13. I've lost a lot of swim fitness but I thought I was swimming ok.

Sunday:

Run: 3.5m @ 9:17

I probably would have got more benefit if I'd slowed this down and done a proper recovery run but I was excited about the karate tournament. Got s silver medal for my kumite (sparring). Should have had gold because it wasn't very competitive and I was winning the last match but I lost focus/got sloppy and she beat me by a point :(

Monday:

Run: 4.5m 8:58

Did a fartlek for the last mile and a half otherwise it would have been a good bit slower. Was tired!

Tuesday:

Run: 7m @ 8:02

Had planned 2 x 2m @ 7:15 but still feeling a bit tired. I wasn't sure if it was just in my head so I did a mile w/u and then 2m @ 7:10. Not feeling the love at all so I did another easy mile and then I decided I'd do one mile at 10k pace. The wind was pushing me along and I finished it in 6:35 (closer to 5k pace). Felt relatively comfortable/wasn't dying at the end hands on knees style and I did another 2 easy miles to get back to home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great stuff going on here lately (except the Ronda Rousey stuff!!!).

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Great stuff going on here lately (except the Ronda Rousey stuff!!!).

and....you're not? :D

I reckon all this karate is just talk. Us boys on the team were getting wise to the Queen and this karate thing is to put manners on us again ;)

AKW wrote: »
    and....you're not? :D

I reckon all this karate is just talk. Us boys on the team were getting wise to the Queen and this karate thing is to put manners on us again ;)

2870sv5.jpg

Another sport where medals are handed out for turning up? :rolleyes:

;)

I know, I know.. there's a dead arm or two coming my way shortly :D

AKW wrote: »
    I know, I know.. there's a dead arm or two coming my way shortly :D

You just keep me fed and nobody will get hurt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

2870sv5.jpg

Is that for Kobudo, Kata or Kumite?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Is that for Kobudo, Kata or Kumite?

Kumite :) My Kata wasn't good enough for a medal :(

Wednesday:

Run: 3m @ 11:16

Think I was tired!

Thursday:

Rest. Lots of kicking in karate last night and my legs were sore. Should have gone for a swim but I was too hungry after work.

Friday:

Run: 5m @ 8:26

Easy with strides in the last mile which makes it look faster than it was ;)

Swim: 1.2k

I did this before work to make sure it got done but I was a bit tight for time. Started out with my usual 200 warm up but instead of stopping I just kept going. I was in a nice little rhythm and it was enjoyable so I did 1k in about 25 min and then 200 backstroke

Saturday:

Rest

Sunday:

Thegingerbread HM: 1:39:05

I sent Dilbert an innocent text message on Friday wishing him luck in his HM today and somehow a seed was planted and I ended up doing it too. Turns out I'm working the Saturday of Waterford and I figured I might as well see where I'm at. I didn't think I was in 1:35 shape but I'm ever the optimist so I thought I'd set out at my pb pace (7:22/mi, 4:34/km) and see how long it would take to fall off the wagon :D I started having doubts on the walk down to the start and as the 1:40 pacers were right alongside me, I ended up starting just in front of them. Felt good enough for the first few miles ( 7:24, 7:23, 7:27) although I would have preferred if my breathing was a bit slowed. I was running behind a girl in a pink shirt who was keeping a lovely steady pace. She was breathing really easily and seemed very comfortable so I don't know why but when she slowed a bit towards the end of the 3rd mile I went on from her. The 10k runners turned shortly afterwards and I gave steroo and his bro a shout. The field was very strung out now and I was running on my own. Next few miles ticked off (7:30, 7:19, 7:14, 7:23) but I wasn't as happy as I should have been and I could here footsteps behind me. They were light and when I slightly turned my head I could see that the lady in pink had caught back up to me. She came alongside me and we ran together for a bit but I was under pressure to stay with her and after half a k she went on. I made a deal with myself that I would keep up the effort to the 10 mile mark and re-evaluate from there. I was having to work quite hard and every little drag was a chore for me and I also seemed to be running into a headwind the whole time. Made it through miles 8 - 10 (7:26, 7:34, 7:35) to give me a 10 mile time of 1:14:xx but the nails were in the coffin now and it was a damage limitation exercise so I said to myself you can slow a bit but try and keep the pace under 5min/km. I so did not want to be passed by the 1:40 pacers!!! That seemed to work well enough and I felt a good bit better after tipping half a bottle of water over my head at the last water station and drinking the rest. A guy I had passed in mile 3 passed me in the last mile but I had nothing left to go with him and my left glute was getting quite sore. (Miles 11 - 13 7:50, 7:54, 7:57) I was so so happy to turn in for the finish and even managed a little sprint :D

I met Conor soon after and seeing as his own log is in the log graveyard, I'm delighted to report that he ran a cracking race to finish in 1:29:xx :D:D Overall I'm not too p!ssed off. It's 3 min off my pb but I ran that off the back of marathon training and I think that's the first time I've run anywhere near 13 miles this year. It's a very good race so hats off to Claude Burgundy and one I'll definitely do again. Well organised, loads of water on the course and water, fruit, tea/coffee and biscuits after and a well needed rub down. And of course the yummy gingerbread man :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great going Kate, great training of late. You travelling to the big smoke for Tom Brennan 5k next New Years Day?

Advertisement