Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of the frying pan, into the .... fish pond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

tang1 wrote: »
    Great going Kate, great training of late. You travelling to the big smoke for Tom Brennan 5k next New Years Day?

Thanks and right back at ya. Not sure about Tom Brennan but I could probably be persuaded ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Not sure about Tom Brennan but I could probably be persuaded ;):D

Ah go on, start the year off with a shiny new 5k PB.......

Ah go on, start the year off with a shiny new 5k PB.......

I'll keep it in mind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I'll keep it in mind :D

You want me to text you about it? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Good stuff CM lovely to meet you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice run on the HM given your hip situation not too long ago. You around this weekend for a spin?

Steroo wrote: »
    Good stuff CM lovely to meet you

Thanks. Nice to meet you too and your brother :)
    Nice run on the HM given your hip situation not too long ago. You around this weekend for a spin?

Cheers. I am indeed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Great HM, you're knocking out serious times on your races.

Some serious training going on here, loving reading it especially the karate :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    Great HM, you're knocking out serious times on your races.

Some serious training going on here, loving reading it especially the karate :)

Thanks. Have a good weekend. Is team ARSE getting in some sneaky training for ITERA????

Monday:

Swim: 1.4k

Run: 30 min @ 11:33

Tuesday:

Run: 35 min @ 10:27

Wednesday:

Run: 4m @ 10:02

Swim: 1.6k

Karate: 90 min

Thursday:

Run: 4.5m @ 9.58

Friday:

Rest

Legs feeling ok I think on Monday. The rub down I got after the race was a blessing! I was working very early and I did the swim afterwards. I can't remember what I did exactly but I know there was a lot of pull bouy involved ;) I needed to lose a couple of pounds to ride Mireya on Thursday so I needed to run everyday. They were all nice and slow so I didn't think I'd be doing any harm. Wednesday, I swam before karate. I got this weird numbness down the left hand side of my face afterwards but it went away after a while :confused: Karate was really tough. My legs were trembling with the effort! The run on Thursday was good though and it was the first run this week where the mile splits got progressively faster instead of slower. I wouldn't mind going for a run now but I need a rest day and I want to do a longer run tomorrow afternoon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

I got this weird numbness down the left hand side of my face afterwards but it went away after a while :confused:
    :eek:. Make sure you take that rest day.

Am fascinated to see the paces for your easy runs are nearly the same as my own at the moment .... if there was ever proof I could do with reducing my pace there it is.

Saturday:

Run: 7m @ 9:20

I'm still not fully recovered from the HM and this was about as far and as fast as I was capable of going. I would have liked to have gone for a swim but I working in the morning for a couple of hours and then had horsey stuff to do in the afternoon. My hip was a tiny bit niggly for the first time in ages on Saturday evening but it was almost perfect again after I did my stretches and exercises.

Sunday:

Bike: Ballyhoura brown loop ~ 28k in 2hr30

Met Mike this morning in a wild, wet and windy Ardpatrick. We both agreed that Enduro would be well proud of us :D The trails were mostly nice and sheltered but we did the first technical skills loop and it was quite exposed and when we were going over some of the ridges you could really find the wind grabbing a hold of the bikes. My waterproof trousers are no longer waterproof - a pity as they've been through two Beasts but now they belong in the rubbish bin. Also bike shop man was spot on when he said that my MTB shoes were not designed for an Irish winter and I may need to tape the ventilation holes!! It wasn't my best day on the bike. I fell over three times - into some gorse when I was going over some scree on the way up a steep hill, a sore one when I was coming downhill and I went into a massive rock instead of round the bend and once when I slipped on a wet bank. A massive tree had fallen across one of the boardwalks so we had to do some bush whacking to get through but I was a bit careful after my falls and I walked a couple of the other ones. It was good fun and nice to catch up with Mike for a chat about all things ITERA :D

Monday:

Run: 4.2m @ 8:34

Legs feeling good today. It started to bucket rain when I was half way around the ring and I looked like a little drowned rat when I got back cause it was warm and I only had shorts and a tshirt on. Hip still a bit niggly that evening so did my stretches and exercises. Last day of November so let's have a little review of the year:

Month|Injury/Sick days|Core|Run days/dist|Swim d/ds|Bike d/ds|Races|AR days
    Jan|2|15|21/164m|14/29.3k|1/40k|1 x 5k - 21:02|
    Feb|9|11|19/99m|15/35.3k|1/25k||
    Mar|0|10|24/147m|18/42.5k|0|2 x 5k - 20:48, 20:33|
    Apr|0|0|20/146m|17/43.2k|2/29k|6k - 25:48, 2 x 10k - 42:50, 44:06|
    May|1|7|23/152m|14/34.5k|2/53k|2 x 5k - 20:50, 19:35, 8k - 33:08|
    Jun|9|6|10/73m|12/24.6k|7/277k|10k - 42:27|4 training + Rogaine
    Jul|0|2|12/55m|11/22.6k|9/469k||2 x training 1 x BEAST
    Aug|5|4|13/51|8/14.6k|7/328k||BEAST X 2 days
    Sept|26|8|18/77m|9/12.4k|5/137k|Mile - 6:12, 5k - 20:46|
    Oct|12|10|18/87m|2/2.8k|0|Inter xc|
    Nov|3|8|21/112m|5/6.9k|2/85k|HM - 1:39:05||
    Total|67|80|199/1167m|115/268.7k|36/1442k||~10

From the above it's clear:
    1) I've been injured/sick a lot again this year (67 days) but less than last year (>200 days)
    2) I'm not doing half enough on the bike
    3) I need to be more disciplined about my swimming
    4) We need to do more AR training days for ITERA

Tuesday:

Rest. I skipped the club session because my hip was still a bit sore. Too lazy to swim :mad:

Wednesday:

Run: 5k in 30:37

Senior county xc is Sunday week. I was supposed to do a session at the club tonight but I want to go to karate because our grading is next week and it's good for my hip. We moved the young horses into a different field yesterday so I was able to run in the big field which is about 700m around. It's fairly rectangular and the ground is very heavy along two sides and not too bad for the rest. I had my trail shoes on and they were ok but I wanted to try barefoot so after the first mile I stopped and took them off. I did about 1k barefoot and it's not for me. You can feel every pebble and tree root and I was slipping all over the place but at least I can tell the coach I tried ;) The pace is slow but the effort was more like the fast end of tempo :eek:

Swim: 2.2k
    500 easy
    200 kick
    500 pb
    500 drills
    500 pb

Thursday:

Run: 30 min @ 12:10

Hip was sore again today. I don't think it liked the heavy mud in the field. I've ordered a pair of spikes. I presume xc never gets cancelled so I'll just have to muddle through next Sunday and hope for the best!

Friday:

Run: 4.2m @ 8:57

Hip better today. Karate definitely good for it and so are one legged squats. They're quite difficult to do properly. You have to hold your free leg out at an angle in front so keeping your balance is a bit tricky. I thought I'd maybe do 10k but I decided to play safe and give the hip a few more days recovery.

Saturday:

Swim: 1.2k

200 easy
    200 steady
    400 drills
    200 backstroke
    200 steady

Run: 5m @ 10:43

I met a car on one of the back roads and rather than drive through the flood on the opposite side of the road the car driver seemed to think it would be much easier to take out the runner. It was a straight road and I had a high vis on but I had to practically jump up and down in the middle of the road before they decided to swerve out of my way. I had a hat on so didn't see who was driving but it was either an inconsiderate gobsh!te or some dozy old git :mad: Only meant to go out for 30 min but before I turned back up the hill for home I remembered that there was a parcel in the post office that I needed to collect so I took a detour into the village. The parcel was a square box weighing 2.2kg and my arms were tired by the time I got home.

Sunday:

Nothing. Was feeling sorry for myself cause my hip is sore again so instead of doing the planned 2 hour bike, I sat on my ass and ate chocolate cake :mad:

Monday:

Stairs: Inspired by this article in runnersworld

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/why-stair-climbing-is-good-for-runners?cid=soc_runnersworld_TWITTER_Runner%E2%80%99s%20World__RunningTips_Fitness

and this line in particular .... 'stair-climbing "forces you to utilize muscle stabilizers, like the gluteus medius, that get neglected during regular runs," because you're balancing on and activating one leg, briefly, as the other moves to the next step' I warmed up for about 10 minutes first with some karate and then, watched by a bemused cat I spent the next 20 minutes sprinting up the stairs and jogging back down. It was quite a good way to spend half an hour. I had the radio on and it was pouring rain outside anyway and I even worked up a bit of a sweat :)

Tuesday:

Ouch: my calves hurt today!! It's a good kind of hurt though from the little muscle fibres doing something they're not used to. No complaints from my hip :)

Swim: 1.2k
    400 easy
    200 kick
    400 pb
    200 easy

I am a disaster these mornings for getting out of bed. I slept solidly for 10 hours and I still couldn't drag myself out when the alarm went. It's just pure laziness :mad: Anyway that meant I only had 45 min in the pool before work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I have a friend who goes to our local track and the majority of his workout is running the bleachers. He also likes to run backwards on the track, so.... ;)

Have you any triathlons planned for 2016??

Stairs: Inspired by this article in runnersworld

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/why-stair-climbing-is-good-for-runners?cid=soc_runnersworld_TWITTER_Runner%E2%80%99s%20World__RunningTips_Fitness

and this line in particular .... 'stair-climbing "forces you to utilize muscle stabilizers, like the gluteus medius, that get neglected during regular runs," because you're balancing on and activating one leg, briefly, as the other moves to the next step' I warmed up for about 10 minutes first with some karate and then, watched by a bemused cat I spent the next 20 minutes sprinting up the stairs and jogging back down. It was quite a good way to spend half an hour. I had the radio on and it was pouring rain outside anyway and I even worked up a bit of a sweat :)

Great article, thanks CM. A good one for those days when you don't want to leave the house :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I have a friend who goes to our local track and the majority of his workout is running the bleachers. He also likes to run backwards on the track, so.... ;)

Have you any triathlons planned for 2016??

Cool. I don't know about running backwards but my running is definitely going backwards ;)

No triathlons planned. ITERA is the focus for next year. I'm going to try and do more biking and paddling and maybe do a couple of half marathons in the spring.

Are you planning any trips to Ireland next year?

Cool. I don't know about running backwards but my running is definitely going backwards ;)
    ...aside from your latest xc success obviously...
    Good question...

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    ...aside from your latest xc success obviously...

'Success' is a bit too generous. We ran well as a team but there's plenty of improvement still to come hopefully :D I had a thing typed out this morning but I deleted it by mistake so the short version is ....

Wednesday:

Run: 40 min rec

Karate: Grading - got my yellow belt

Thursday:

Karate: 90 min. Learnt a new kata that I really like

Friday/Saturday:

Nothing. Hip was still sore. I was a bit fed up and only for our club coach I wouldn't have bothered with the xc

Sunday:

Run: County senior xc 6k

The race was in LIT Clonmel and it was a nice course. We started at the top of the hill and zig-zagged our way down and around to the finish. Then we turned back across and started the first of 3 laps as we ran uphill for about 300m. I picked up two of the girls on the way down and because there was very few juniors running, by the time we got there our race was nearly on. We only had time to register, go to the toilets, change our shoes and run up to the start line. I got new spikes during the week but I didn't really look at them or wear them and I didn't realise that I was supposed to put the spikes that came in the bag into the shoes. I actually thought they were just a spare set. So my spikes were in fact spikeless but I don't think it didn't matter anyway cause the shoes still had grippy bits on them.

I lined up with my team mate Lorraine who finished ahead of me in the intermediates. She took off with the leaders but I hung back because I had seen the start list when I was registering and I knew there was a few girls who would normally be ahead of me running and I thought my best chance would be if I ran conservatively. When we settled down I was 7th and there was 3 clonmel girls in front of me so I figured they were going to be our main rivals for the team gold. I passed one of them before we went past the finish the first time and that left Lorraine about 20m in front with the second clonmel girl about the same distance in front of her. As we ran past our coach he was hissing at me to catch up with Lorraine so over the next few hundred metres that's what I did. We then ran together for a while but I kind of felt like Lorraine was struggling a small bit so I pushed on from her before we went up the hill. I thought I might be able to reel in the clonmel no 2 and I closed the gap to about 10m but as the race went on she picked up the pace again and I wasn't able to match her and she finished about 70m in front of me. I was 5th, Lorraine 6th and our other team mates 8th and 9th which was good enough for team silver. Clonmel no 3 was 7th and they got the gold. I'm happy enough with how I ran and my hip was fine during the race but a tiny bit niggly yesterday evening. It's frustrating but I'll just have to keep doing my stretches and exercises and manage it as best I can.

Monday:

Swim: 1.6k
    400 easy
    200 backstroke
    2 x 400 pb
    4 x 50 hard/50 easy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great stuff Kate, very well done.

Great stuff Kate, very well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Nice work all the same CM, always nice to help out with the team and pick up a medal. The XC should help out with hip strength as well so hopefully you'll get it all clicking again heading into the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Nice work, well done! Hope the hip behaves, very frustrating...

County senior silver team sounds like success to me.

That was the short version? :o

I am heading to Mallorca the first week in April, and there is a possibility I will fly from the US to Spain via Dublin....if so, I'd be spending the night in Dublin on Saturday, April 9th. Which begs the question, dinner and dancing, anyone?? ;)

I'm also signed up for Challenge Galway (in June?), but honestly that may be a long shot for me. I haven't decided yet, so many things tugging at me.....

Nice one Kate, well done to you and the team, your running is definitely not going backwards. Nice going on getting your yellow belt too :)

I am heading to Mallorca the first week in April, and there is a possibility I will fly from the US to Spain via Dublin....if so, I'd be spending the night in Dublin on Saturday, April 9th. Which begs the question, dinner and dancing, anyone?? ;)

I'm also signed up for Challenge Galway (in June?), but honestly that may be a long shot for me. I haven't decided yet, so many things tugging at me.....

A Big yes to dinner and dancing :):)

Nice work all the same CM, always nice to help out with the team and pick up a medal. The XC should help out with hip strength as well so hopefully you'll get it all clicking again heading into the new year.
    Thanks. I do love xc and the whole team thing is so much fun. I hope your right!!!

Best of luck with the new coach ;)
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Nice work, well done! Hope the hip behaves, very frustrating...

Thanks. Fingers crossed!
    County senior silver team sounds like success to me.

That was the short version? :o

That was the edited version :p

Oooh fun :D Dinner and dancing .... that sounds like an excellent plan :D
    Nice one Kate, well done to you and the team, your running is definitely not going backwards. Nice going on getting your yellow belt too :)

Thanks and yay for the d&d :D

Would love to make the dinner. Will prob skip the dancing. For the sake of anyone else who's having dinner.

• Advertisement

Would love to make the dinner. Will prob skip the dancing. For the sake of anyone else who's having dinner.

You'd be crazy to pass up dancing with cm, needy, Oryx and me. :D

Advertisement