Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of the frying pan, into the .... fish pond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Dory Dory wrote: »
    You'd be crazy to pass up dancing with cm, needy, Oryx and me. :D

Crazy? Someone in the TDAR form? Never!

I'll bring the running gear in case ye decide to do something that I can do reasonably well without public decency being offended...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Tuesday:

Nothing. Hip was a bit niggly so I decided not to run for the week. Wasn't too bothered about running anyway.

Wednesday:

Swim: 1.2k
    400 easy
    200 kick
    400 pb
    200 easy

Karate: 90 min

Thursday:

Karate: 90 min

Ouch this was tough. One of the black belts took the warm up and made us do burpees and planks non stop for what felt like about 20 minutes. I twinged something in my shoulder on the last set and it was sore all weekend

Fri - Sun:

Nothing. Was racing horses in Fairyhouse and Thurles. No joy but I'm off to Australia tomorrow for a month so I really wanted to get a run into all four of them before I left.

Monday:

Run: 30 min @ 9:05 + 4 x 100m strides

Yay very excited to be back running. Went too fast for the first 20 minutes and had to slow down to a more reasonable pace for the last 10. No trouble from the hip but my left hamstring was a bit tight towards the end. Oddly enough I was reading this article on runnersworld this morning about tight hamstrings. The main point being that the hamstrings are actually over lenthened and you also need to work on the opposing muscle group (the quads) to relieve it. Reminded me of leaving cert physics. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. I wasn't mad about physics. Chemistry was my favourite even though my teacher insisted on calling me Kathy. One day I said it to him in the middle of class 'My name is not Kathy' but he just made a face at me as if I was being a diva and told me to 'Sit down Kathy'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Enjoy Auz Kathy, sorry Kate.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

How could you be jealous of anything with a trip like that on the way. Enjoy the surfing and deep-sea diving!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Wow. Australia. Now that's on my list of places to go!!! Have fun and keep us posted on your adventure there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Awh that's brilliant (I'm only a tinsy winsy bit jealous), have a great time K, enjoy all your adventures :)

So how's the warm weather training going K?

Tuesday:

Nothing. Flight to Abu Dhabi was at 8am. Driving up you can see a fair bit of the land in Laois and Kildare submerged in water. Flight was grand. Had my book and watched a couple of films. The next one to Melbourne was longer, more boring and we had to wait in Abu Dhabi for nearly an hour to take off cause there was so much traffic. The seat next to me was empty though do got to stretch out a bit more.

Wednesday:

Nothing. Still flying. Didn't arrive in Melbourne till 7pm. Just in time for dinner :)

Thursday:

Nothing. Claire took me out to see her 2 horses and when we were finished there we went to the shopping mall. It was very warm, maybe about 27C so it was great to be inside in the air conditioning even if it was packed with last minute shoppers!

Friday:

Run: 30 min easy

Up at 5am to get this done before we went to the horses. I think we did about 5k running to the train station and back. You have to run on the pavements which are concrete but there's lots of grassy bits In between the driveways that are nice to run on. My legs were still a little swollen from the flight but the run felt good. It was so hot all day. 35C. And very humid. Just thinking about moving made me sweat and drinking tea was almost fever inducing. I did about 40 minutes of karate in the kitchen where I had easy access to cold drinks!!! It was so hot we didn't even want a roast dinner so we barbecued steaks instead :D

Saturday:

Run: 40 min easy

The sweltering heat continued through the night but then at about 3am it started to pour rain and the temperature dropped into the high teens. It was a bit of a struggle to get Claire and Ian out running in the pouring rain but it was well worth it. The rain eased off after a while and it was a fab morning. I was awake early and I did another 40 minutes if karate before the run. I strained a ligament in my foot practising and it was quite sore for the rest of the day.

Sunday:

Run: 60 min easy

Foot still sore but it was fine when I ran with compression socks on. We ran about 10 minutes down to the ocean and then we were able to get onto this fantastic sandy trail with loads of trees and vegetation that went along by the edge of the ocean. We turned back after 30 minutes cause I'm still minding my hip but you can keep going for at least 20k anyway. There's a bike path as well so I'll explore it a bit more next week when Claire is back at work.

Monday:

Run: 30 min recovery

Nice slow run on the sandy track outside the golf club. It was hot again and I had a bit of a headache but my foot has improved a lot :D

Sounds awful. I'm glad I'm here in low-single-digit temperatures, howling wind and driving rain.

Out of curiosity did you get to watch the Flintstones during your stopover? I know we would never normally watch it here but apparently the people in Abu Dhabi do...

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Sounds awful. I'm glad I'm here in low-single-digit temperatures, howling wind and driving rain.

15 hours of daylight. I'm dreading coming back to the darkness!
    Out of curiosity did you get to watch the Flintstones during your stopover? I know we would never normally watch it here but apparently the people in Abu Dhabi do...

No I was only there for a couple of hours and by the time I got through security and picked up a few bits in the duty free, it was pretty much straight back into the next plane!

Jeez K - I pull out my one and only Abu Dhabi joke and you just gloss over it....

Jeez K - I pull out my one and only Abu Dhabi joke and you just gloss over it....

I kind of thought you were joking but I couldn't figure it out. Sorry :)

Still don't get it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I kind of thought you were joking but I couldn't figure it out. Sorry :)

Still don't get it!!

Yabba dabba doo...

Groan

annapr wrote: »
    Yabba dabba doo...

Groan

That's terrible :D

annapr wrote: »
    Yabba dabba doo...

Groan

Thanks Anna.
    Yes it was awful but hopefully I get charity marks for effort...

Thanks Anna.
    Yes it was awful but hopefully I get charity marks for effort...

:D:D it kinda made me laugh

CM, no pressure here but, there's a lot of boardsies expecting you to bring back a few degrees of heat with you on your return, but like I said, no pressure ;)

Fair play for getting out there after the long flight and in the blistering heat. The thought of those BBQ steaks have my mouth watering. Mind that foot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

If its so hot get paddlin'!

Please don't tell me you had Brussels sprouts with those steaks! ;)

Where in Australia are you? And how long will you be there??

Neady83 wrote: »
    :D:D it kinda made me laugh

CM, no pressure here but, there's a lot of boardsies expecting you to bring back a few degrees of heat with you on your return, but like I said, no pressure ;)

Fair play for getting out there after the long flight and in the blistering heat. The thought of those BBQ steaks have my mouth watering. Mind that foot

I think I'll be happy enough to get back to the cold and the wind and the rain. It's a whole different ballgame trying to exercise in the heat!!

Thanks foot nearly better now :)
    If its so hot get paddlin'!

Yes boss. Working on it :p
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    Please don't tell me you had Brussels sprouts with those steaks! ;)

Where in Australia are you? And how long will you be there??

No we had barbecued asparagus, aubergine and mushrooms. Nom Nom :)
    But we did have Brussels sprouts with our chicken the next day and they were yum. Try this recipe: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sprouts_with_chestnuts_87565

I'm in Beaumaris which is a subarb 20k south east of Melbourne's CBD. I'm here until January 23rd but we're going to Auckland for a few days next week to see my cousins :D

• Advertisement

Tuesday:

Bike: 45 min

Run: 20 min

We cycled along the ocean road. It was gorgeous ... seeing the blue of the Pacific with the taste of salt in your mouth and a refreshing breeze to keep you cool. We didn't plan this too well though and we ended up turning too soon and finishing up too early. The run was a recovery run back from the station in the evening when it was nice and cool.

Wednesday:

Run: 10 min w/u, 10 x 1 min hard/1 min walk, 10 min c/d

Paddle boarding: 2 hrs

Very hot today so up early to get the run done. We jogged up the road on the sandy clay outside the golf club and when we turned the corner the road was nicely shaded so we did the intervals there in the one spot. Felt pretty good and I was nicely tired after the 10. We started the paddle boarding at 11:30. It was 32C so I smothered myself in sun cream. Stand up paddling is fun :D I've never seen or done it before. You get a board about the length of a surf board but wider and a paddle with a blade on one end and a handle on the other kind of like a shovel. You stand up on the board and away you go like one of those guys in the gondolas in Venice. It took me about 40 min to get my technique right. It was a great day to do it because the sea was pretty calm and the water was so warm. I fell off twice - the first time I just lost my balance and the second time I was in the harbour and I was trying to negotiate my way around the yachts and I stopped the board too quickly I think. We were flying along by the end though and it's a great exercise for your balance and your core. I didn't take enough care lashing on the sun cream cause the tips of both my feet got sun burned :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Where in Auckland are you heading for?

sconhome wrote: »
    Where in Auckland are you heading for?

Not sure to be honest :)

Happy New Year Kate, looking forward to seeing you fly through the karate belts, knock out many more podium finishes as well as PBs and meet you on some awesome adventures :)

Happy New Year, you crazy traveling fool! (so jealous!!) :)

Thursday:

Run: 40 min easy

Too hot in the afternoon - 44C. Good excuse to nap :) My Dad was admitted to hospital yesterday with low grade heart failure. He had a CAT scan and they found lesions in his lungs as well. More tests to be done next week but not a brilliant end/beginning to the year.

Friday:

Core/Karate: 60 min

Saturday:

Run: 10 min w/u, 4 x 3 min T, 2 min E, 10 min c/d

Did this at Claire's tempo pace which is a bit slow for me but I'm not bothered cause my hip is behaving very well with these slower paces. Lovely run along the path by the golf course and then in the sports fields of the local school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Thursday:
    My Dad was admitted to hospital yesterday with low grade heart failure. He had a CAT scan and they found lesions in his lungs as well. More tests to be done next week but not a brilliant end/beginning to the year.

sorry to hear that K, best wishes for a good recovery for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Best wishes for your Dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Not sure to be honest :)

A few pals up around Rotarua and Coromandel Bay if you get up that far. Coromandel is supposed to be simply stunning.

(you could recce some future warm weather training routes ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Sorry to hear about your Dad Kate, hope hes ok.

Advertisement