Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of the frying pan, into the .... fish pond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Monday:

Run: 45 min recovery (20 + 25)

Legs good but tired. The second run felt easier than the first.

Spin: 45 min torture

Went to the gym with Claire for a gentle, relaxing yoga/body balance class but we got suckered into a spin class instead. I know you only really have to go as hard as you want but when you've got a super fit, enthusiastic instructor up the top and she's yelling into her microphone come on team we're going for a break away, keep those revs up, it's very hard to take it easy. For one brief, comforting moment I thought the class was only 30 min because we were working so hard and it was so hot even with the two big fans. Alas I was deluded and I was just praying it wasn't an hour long because we only had half a bottle of water between the two of us. The machine said I'd burned 520 calories at the end so at least I was able to have a guilt free Italian for dinner with a massive slice of chocolate tart for dessert :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Well done you on your first tri!!! And you are absolutely correct - open water swimming is a totally different beast than pool swimming. And to take that one step further, ocean swimming is a different beast than lake or river swimming with its waves, salt water and dynamic conditions. I remember swallowing a ton a salt water in the one (and only) ocean tri I've done, and the only silver lining I could think of as I was swimming (and feeling nauseated) was that I was taking on extra electrolytes that might come in handy on the bike and/or run in the hot sun. So, maybe all that sea salt helped you on your sizzling run! ;) Good job again - your next tri should be a piece of cake!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

well done.. i can relate ! swim breathe panic breathe more get out of breath panic breathe even more.. all logic goes out the window.. you did really well to stick at it and that will stand to you..

Tuesday:

Run: 20 min recovery

Legs were tired

Pilates: 120 min

Two classes. One in the morning, one in the evening. The first one was grand but the guy taking the second class was a bit of a sadist and made us work really hard. Legs felt good after though. Claire and I got this deal at the gym last week where we can try out as many classes as we like for a month for $30. I'm leaving on Friday but it's still good value for the few classes that I've done.

Wednesday:

Run: 70 min easy (30 + 20 + 10)

Swim: 10 x 100

Good run with Claire early on, on the trails near where she keeps her horses. We had a shower and then went for breakfast. I got the train back and ran to the pool. Had a lovely swim and then ran home. My back and legs were very tight in places after the Pilates but I felt much looser after swimming.

Spin: 45 min

Different instructor today. I was a couple of minutes late and missed the start of the warm up. Then we did sets of 3 x 30s, 3 x 1min, 3 x 2min, 3 x 3 min with 30s recovery. Each set was divided into flat sprints RPM 95 - 100, uphill seated sprints RPM 85 - 90 and standing sprints RPM 65 - 70. Then straight into 3 x 30s, 3 x 20s, 3 x 10s with 10s recovery and then a 4 min uphill sprint (2min seated, 2min standing). Great workout and thankfully I had a massive bottle of water (and a towel ;))cause i was dripping sweat at the end. :D

Yoga: 60 min

Jumped into this class after spin. It was Hatha yoga I think. Very relaxing and got some good stretches into my legs but I'm glad I'd done a tough workout before it because it was a bit pedestrian :)

Thursday:

Run: 70 min easy (30 + 20 + 20)

Much the same as yesterday except it was a bit cooler and much nicer.

Swim: 1.2 k
    400 easy
    200, 2 x 100, 4 x 50 steady
    400 easy

The pool was a tiny bit warm but every so often as you were swimming up and down you'd meet a pocket of cool water which was fun :)

Paddle boarding: 90 min

Lots of turning and mad sprints to catch up with Claire so I could knock her off her board :D She's sneaky though and she got me off more times than I got her off. The water was beautiful ~ 23C so it wasn't too much of a punishment to go for a dip. Arms were sore afterwards.

Friday:

Run: 100 min easy

Last run along beach road. Lovely morning for running although there were a claps of thunder. It was a bit drizzly as well towards the end which cooled me down. I only meant to do 90 min but I was on my own and got a bit confused and missed my turn for home. Legs are nicely tired so hopefully I'll get some sleep on the plane :D

Saturday:

Run: 20 min recovery

A little leg loosener when I got home

Sunday:

Run: Moyne 5k race

The club organised this as a fundraiser to help pay off the loan for building the track. They were lucky with the weather and a healthy crowd of people turned up with lots of good club runners. I felt a bit lethargic warming up but that was to be expected with the long run on Friday and the flight home. I lined up with my club mates and I was in the middle of giving Angela a blow by blow account of the triathlon when the starter shouted GO and we were off. The start is fast and the wind was behind us but I had my watch on and I wanted to keep around 4 - 4:05 pace. That didn't happen. My club mates went by me and we normally finish pretty near each other in races so I had to make the choice between following my watch and following my club mates and I chose the latter. Lorraine was about 10m in front of me with Angela another 15m in front of her. Over the next 500m I caught back up to Lorraine and we ran together until she dropped off me after the 3k mark. I closed the gap to Angela a bit and I was using her to shelter me from the wind. Before the 4K mark we had to go up a little hill and Angela went away from me here and another girl passed me as well. I was dying a little death here and the main thing that kept me going was the thought that when we turn the wind will be behind us again. Gritted it out to the finish but was passed by another woman and finished in 20:46.
    Splits: 3:56, 4:01, 4:03, 4:35, 4:11

That brings to an end 4 weeks of pretty good training. I need more consistency on the bike and to keep the core work going. Next week I'm going to drop back the run volume and try and get out on the bike most days.

Week 1: 28/12 - 3/1

| Dist (km)|Time (hrs)
    Run|38.5|4
    Bike|20|1
    Paddle||2
    Core||1
    Total||8

Week 2: 4/1 - 10/1

| Dist (km)|Time (hrs)
    Run|36.5|4
    Bike|217|8.5
    Core||2
    Total||14.5

Week 3: 11/1 - 17/1

| Dist (km)|Time (hrs)
    Run|60|6.5
    Bike|76|3
    Paddle||1.5
    Swim|1.2|1
    Core||2
    Total||14

Week 4: 18/1 - 24/1

| Dist (km)|Time (hrs)
    Run|61|6
    Bike||1.5
    Paddle||1.5
    Swim|2.2|1.5
    Core||3
    Total||13

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Welcome home, nice performance all things considered as you said with travel etc. Is it adventure training for next while?

tang1 wrote: »
    Welcome home, nice performance all things considered as you said with travel etc. Is it adventure training for next while?

Thanks. Yes AR is the main focus. 6 months to ITERA :D We're looking for a team mate if you know anyone who'd be interested http://triharderar.com/2016/01/are-you-looking-for-adventure/

I'll be doing some club running too. County road relays next Sunday and novice 2 weeks later and I'd like to do a half marathon in the next couple of months :D

There's no doubt your getting stronger looking at your training, you could run some mean times over the summer I'd say if you could dedicate time to running for a bit.

Monday:

Yoga: 30 min

Swim: 30 min

Spin: 45 min

Didn't feel too bad when I woke but my calves got a bit sore as the day went on and my right one was noticeably sore when I was in the pool. I think the swim helped though. I only did 1k and half of it was with the pull buoy. I was tired in the evening and I was going to give the spin class a miss. I felt bad though cause I'd told my friends I'd be there so I said I'll check my heart rate and if it's above 50 I won't go. It was 42 :rolleyes:

Tuesday:

Run: 30 min recovery

Legs are battered today and this was slow slow slow. I did think about not doing anything but the ocd got the better of me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

That's a solid four weeks of training Kate, fair play and with a long haul flight thrown in too (your log transitioned very gently from Oz to Moyne, I had to do a double take). Not a bad start to the year. Well done on the 5km too :)

Hope your Dad is doing ok
    There's no doubt your getting stronger looking at your training, you could run some mean times over the summer I'd say if you could dedicate time to running for a bit.

Down with this sort of thing, you're over on the dark side now Tang ;) but also it's a fair point

• Advertisement

Neady83 wrote: »
    That's a solid four weeks of training Kate, fair play and with a long haul flight thrown in too (your log transitioned very gently from Oz to Moyne, I had to do a double take). Not a bad start to the year. Well done on the 5km too :)

Hope your Dad is doing ok

Down with this sort of thing, you're over on the dark side now Tang ;) but also it's a fair point

Thanks. Dad is grand. Bit depressed or something but I presume it's just the shock. Sean had fixed him up with a HRM so hopefully he'll be back exercising shortly :)

Wednesday:

Swim: 1k
    500 sw
    4 x 25k/25pb
    300 pb

Recovery swim. My left glute/hip was still a bit sore so I thought my legs might thank me for it

Karate: 90 min

Good to be back but it's amazing how quickly you forget stuff when you're not doing it. I was tired at the end.

Thursday:

Run: 30 min recovery

All good. My Garmin 10 is nearly on the way to watch heaven. The strap broke the other day and today it was telling me I'd run an extra km. I've had it for 3 years so I guess it had a good innings :(

Swim: 1.2k

I can't remember exactly what I did but I was tired and it was all slow stuff. I bought a turbo because I need to get stronger on the bike and I think doing a couple of turbo's a week will be more useful and efficient than simply spending an hour out on the bike. I went to the pool while the guys in the bike shop were setting it up for me and putting on the other tyre.

Bike: 50 min turbo

While I was waiting for my dinner to cook I set up the bike in the kitchen to try it out. I had MTV on (David Guetta's greatest hits) and after a 15 min warm up I did one song standing high resistance, one song sitting low resistence. Then the ads came on so one ad standing, one ad sitting. Then back to songs again. I did that for 30 min then did a 5 min cool down

Lots of sparring tonight. Bleugh. Knackered.com at the end

Friday:

Nothing. It's been lovely :D Spent a couple of hours wandering round the farm this morning, my every move being shadowed by my cat. I'm not going to get as much done on the bike as I wanted this week. I want to be kind of fresh for the club road relays on Sunday. I was asked if I wanted the 1500 or the 3000m leg and I went for the 3k but I got a text there earlier on and I seem to have been moved to the 1500 now. So because its on the road and it's a relay, I presume it won't be as tactical as 1500 on the track and my job will be pretty straightforward. If we're leading, keep us in front and if we're behind make up as much ground as possible. Simples :D

Best of luck with the Road Relays tomorrow Kate.

Saturday:

Bike: 70 min turbo
    10 min w/u, 10 min hard, 5 min easy, 8 min hard, 4 min easy, 6 min hard, 3 min easy, 4 min hard, 2 min easy, 2 min hard, 1 min easy, 15 min c/d

Borrowed this session from zico. Thanks zico :)

Sunday:

Run: 12k incl 1500m leg of county road relays

It was a messy old day weather wise. Non stop drizzle and a strong wind. The course is the perimeter of the gaa grounds and one side is uphill for approx 250m with the middle bit being quite steep. It's also the side with the most headwind. However there was a nice gentle downhill past the finish line and then a flat 200m. The legs were 800/1500/800/3000. The first 800 started out on the road so they didn't have to go up the hill at all, twice for the 1500, once for the 800 and 4 times for the 3000. We did a couple of laps to warm up and the hill was tough going. Pacing was going to be important especially as the only middle distance runner on our team was Orla and she was doing the first leg. We all got into position and we could hear the commentary from out the road but we only saw the runners when they came into the grounds. Orla was first in the gate but passing the finish the Dundrum runner overtook her. I thought feck it she's starting to tie up until our coach gave a roar at her and she found another gear to give me a 10m lead starting off. There was no batons, we just had to touch hands. So off I went. I was feeling good. First time up the hill was grand. I could hear footsteps behind me at the bottom of the hill but as we climbed they got fainter. Shook my arms out when I got to the top and tried to lengthen my stride down the hill. I took a little breather on the flat 200 before starting the climb again. My legs were feeling it now and starting to get a bit heavy. The men were on next and we had two teams which meant there was plenty of support out the course and our coach was at the top of the hill. As I passed he told me to give it everything and I'm pretty happy that I did. Touched hands with our next runner and I'd increased our lead to about 150m. Didn't see much of the next leg cause I was bushed but when I'd recovered enough I went midway up the hill to cheer our last runner on. The gap was closing slightly over the last couple of laps but never enough to be a concern and we won with a bit in hand. Possibly would have been a closer affair if the Clonmel teams hadn't gone to the 10m in Dungarvan! It was bloody freezing and wet waiting around for the men's race so thank heavens for the saintly women of Dundrum who supplied the tea and sandwiches after :) Finished up with 8k around the track in Moyne

Yoga: 30 min

Badly needed ;)

Week 0: Recovery

|Dist (km)|Time (hrs)
    Run|21|2:10
    Bike||2:40
    Swim|3.2|1:50
    Paddle||
    Core||3:30
    Total||10:10

County gold medal so?

County gold medal so?

Yip :D First senior golds for the club since the AAI was set up. Our coach is thrilled :D

Yip :D First senior golds for the club since the AAI was set up. Our coach is thrilled :D

Brilliant, congratulations CM, delighted for you, the team and the club :) well deserved

Fantastic stuff, that's a great achievement. Ye'll be forever referred to now in club history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

that's fantastic! well done, gold, does not get better than that..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Sounds like great craic
    Well done!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Great stuff increasing the lead! Congrats on the gold

Monday:

Nothing. I strained a little muscle in the arch of my foot on Sunday and it was still a bit tender. Hips were also a bit sore. I ate 3 Mars bars (frozen and full size) and a bag of minstrels .... it was a fat day :(

Tuesday:

Run a.m: 30 min easy

Easy effort but recovery pace. Legs felt good today.

Bike: 70 min turbo

I was just going to do an easy spin but to make it s bit more interesting I increased the resistance every 4th minute for a minute and every 9th minute I did a standing sprint for one minute. I did that for 60 minutes and then did 10 minutes cool down. I love my turbo :D

Run p.m: 75min

3.6k warm up, 2 x (5 x 200) 200 walking recovery between reps and 400 jog between sets, 2k cool down

I thought I had to go to a meeting tonight so that's why I did the run and the turbo this morning. Then this afternoon I found out the meeting wasn't till next week and the girls had arranged to do a speed session at the club. Legs were feeling good so I decided to join them. Thankfully we missed all the rain showers! The first set of 5 were actually 220m cause we got confused about where we should be stopping but the recoveries were nice and long. I forgot my watch so no idea of times but it was a good session. I was working hard but felt strong :D

Wednesday:

Swim: 1.2k

Wednesday seems like a lifetime ago :eek: I swam before work in the afternoon, alternating front crawl and pull bouy. Another recovery swim. It's too difficult at the moment to schedule in proper swim sessions on top of everything else that I'm doing.

Thursday:

Run: 40 min recovery

My legs were in bits from the speed session Tuesday and karate Wednesday. The first 10 minutes of the runs was aches and pains everywhere then it got better but I kept the pace very slow and felt good enough at the end. I had planned to to out on the MTB before karate but I had to unexpectedly work a double shift and I hardly had time to eat never mind exercise. Karate was excellent. Jean is my favourite black belt and we always have to work really hard when she takes the class.

Friday:

Bike: Turbo 130 min

Three sessions: 30 min easy, 40 min as 10 R1, 10R2, 10R3, 10 easy, 60 min easy

Run: 20 min warm up, 20 min tempo @ 4:26/km, 15 min cool down

No work today so got lots done. Run was on the track with the girls. I bought us each a bag of jellies as a reward :D Hopefully I'm not overdoing it. Just had a hot bath and legs are feeling pretty happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Just catching up, welcome home and congrats on the county gold! :cool:

Saturday:

Bike: 60 min (30 + 30)

Easy spinning a.m and p.m.

Sunday:

Yoga: 60 min (30 + 30)

Run: 80 min easy (4.5k track, 10k road)

Bike: 60 min very easy

This has been a good week. I've got plenty done and the body is holding up quite well. Next week won't be as jam packed because we have the county novice on Sunday and I want to make sure my legs are nice and fresh for that.

|Dist (km)|Time (hrs)
    Run|44.6|4:40
    Bike||5:20
    Swim|1.2|0:40
    Paddle||
    Core||4
    Total||14:40

Monday:

Rest. Ate at least double my body weight in food. Shocking :eek: I need to get back into a good food routine cause at the moment I could eat for Ireland :(

Tuesday:

Run: 40 min recovery

Managed to miss the rain but it was very cold. I don't remember feeling any niggles in my legs so they must have been ok

Bike: 150 min turbo (30 + 60 + 60)

Anyone else find the turbo worryingly addictive??? First one was all easy, the other two had hard/fast bits in them but I can't remember exactly what.

Core: 10 min

Foam rolling and some yoga poses. The cat decided during the pigeon stretch that this would be a great time to lick my nose. His tongue is like sandpaper. Not pleasant!

Wednesday:

Bike: 60 min turbo

All easy. Knees a tiny bit sore starting off. They usually get sore when my quads are too tight. They were better afterwards.

Good class with lots of strength work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

The cat wasn't licking you; he was tasting you...

Dilbert75 wrote: »

:eek: :eek:

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Neady83 wrote: »
    :eek: :eek:

You could well be right! He's certainly not taking any chances with the mat anyway :D

122f3gi.jpg

• Advertisement

Thursday:

Run: 3 x (1k steady, 1k easy)

The odd time when I start off a run, I think it's useful not to be going at recovery /easy pace. I was feeling good had no aches or pains yesterday morning so I decided to do a little improptu session to remind my legs that sometimes they need to go a bit faster. I am always conscious of overdoing it, especially as I'm doing a lot more biking these days than I normally would do, so I mixed it up with easy bits. The third steady mile was uphill so it was more like 10k effort.
    Splits/km: 4:54, 5.25, 4:50, 5:35, 4:41, 5:10

Bike: 60 min Turbo

All easy with 10 x 1 min standing sprint/1 min easy mixed in

My abs were a bit sore after Wednesdays class and we had another really good class last night. I was paired up with one of the black belts for the sparring drills and she hits really hard so if you don't have your abs tensed, it hurts :cool:

Advertisement