Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of the frying pan, into the .... fish pond

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Saturday:

RHR: 44

Sleep: 9

Run: 10k + 5 min recovery

(1k easy, 1k steady, 1kHMP, 1k easy, 2kMP, 1k easy, 1k HMP, 1k steady, 1k easy
    5:45, 4:57, 4:10, 5:11, 4:29, 4:26, 5:10, 4:12, 4:50, 5:09)

This is my favourite run session. It's supposed to be in miles but I thought that might be too much for me. I felt pretty good although I was working a little harder than necessary. I should have been more disciplined with the paces. Except for the first km, they're all too fast by 5-10 secs. Maybe I should have done it in miles. That would have copped me on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

3:10 marathon pacing is pretty saucy - congrats! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I love how you are tracking your sleep - great idea! Sleep is such a crucial element to success, and one that is too often overlooked. I've read that as your training increases, so should your sleep. Something to be mindful of. Glad you're getting your mojo back! :)

MojoMaker wrote: »
    3:10 marathon pacing is pretty saucy - congrats! :)

Ha thanks :D Aspirational only at the moment!
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    I love how you are tracking your sleep - great idea! Sleep is such a crucial element to success, and one that is too often overlooked. I've read that as your training increases, so should your sleep. Something to be mindful of. Glad you're getting your mojo back! :)

Ya I'm finding it's useful. Borrowed from Mikes log here https://ar.attackpoint.org/log.jsp/user_15801. Unfortunately not doing so well on the chocolate front :o

Monday:

Had a lovely sleep but I was woken by a phone call (I slept through my alarm) and I was dreaming. You know when you wake and you can just remember the very last details of the dream? Well this morning in my dream, I was conjugating French verbs. I was on the middle of the present tense of "aller". Very strange :confused: Forgot to check my RHR

Swim: 1.1k
    200 easy
    2 x (50 kick, 50 fingertip, 50 pb, 50 shoulder tap, 50 sw)
    400 pb alternating 50 breathe every 3, 50 breathe every 2

Had half an hour before work to get this done. Very happy that I did. I thought swimming was giving me a repetitive strain injury in my forearm but it's not swimming, it's working in the bacon factory :( Swimming does seem to aggravate it a little though :(

Bike: 30 min Turbo
    5 min R1
    5 min R2
    5 min R3
    5 min R4
    4 min R3
    3 min R2
    3 min R1

Had my passenger again. Right from the start but I had to unload him after 20 minutes cause it was getting way too warm!

Karate: 90 min

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Different bacon factory to mine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Planning a French triathlon?

tang1 wrote: »
    Different bacon factory to mine?

Yes :D You know the little piggy that went to market? Well he ends up where I work ;)
    Dilbert75 wrote: »

I'm not planning any triathlons as you well know :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I'm not planning any triathlons as you well know :p

Oh you say that...... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Dilbert75 wrote: »

http://www.raidinfrance.com/en/ ;)

:cool:

• Advertisement

Tuesday:

RHR: 46

Sleep: 5

Run: 11k session

Met Angela at the track for a speed session to sharpen us up for the weekend. I was planning something easy for myself like 4 X 400 but the coach sent a text last night saying he thought we should do 50/60/70/80/90 sec with equal recovery. Grand I thought that's not too hard. Until Angela explained that we had to do that 3 times :eek: It wasn't so bad even though the weather was manky and down the back straight there was a strong head wind. We started with a 10 minute warm up which included 2 laps sprinting the straights, jogging the bends. Then straight into 3 x (50,60,70,80,90 seconds) equal recovery and 3 minutes between sets. We kept a good consistent pace, averaging 3:48/km over all the reps. My legs were feeling the last couple but my breathing was good and it felt like a great session :D

Wednesday:

RHR: 43

Sleep: 8

Run: 5k @ 6:37

Didn't have a great sleep. Stupid wind and rain woke me and about 2a.m there was thunder and lightning. I wasn't going to do anything today but coach recommended a recovery run, and who am I to argue :D Legs are very tired today but the run improved them and I'm delighted I've no karate tonight :D

Thursday:

RHR: 43

Bike: 30 min

10 min easy R1
    6 x (1min standing sprint R10, 30sec seated sprint R7, 30sec easy R1)
    8 min easy R1/R2

Karate: 90 min

Slept well and my legs felt like they were almost recovered from Tuesday's intervals so I hopped on the Turbo before brekkie. I have someone interested in buying one of the horses and once that goes through, I'm getting a new mountain bike :D Have karate later. On Monday we spent some time going through Itosu Rohai, which is the new kata I want to do at the tournament in April. I know what I should be doing pretty well now but sometimes my brain is a bit slow communicating it to my arms and legs! Years of practice required me thinks to be as good as the guy below anyway.

Friday:

Rest

Was supposed to do 5k but my legs were very sore especially my R glute. I think from all the kicking we did in karate on Thursday.

Saturday:

Rest

Legs were still a bit sore but not as bad

Sunday:

RHR: 41

Run: County Intermediate Road 4k
    Place: 11/31
    Time: 16:33

Disappointed with this. Both the placing and the finishing time. It was held in Faugheen on the 5k route and although there are a few drags, there's plenty of gradual downhill too so it should be a fast course. It was cold and a bit drizzly but no wind to speak of. I had intended to keep a close eye on my pace and keep to 3:55/k for the first couple of k but I forgot my watch. The winner was a woman from Clonmel and she predictably set off in front. I started in about 8th behind Angela but she started to make up places over the first 2k whereas I was happy to stay where I was and after another half a k I was done. My breathing was ok but my legs were gone to lead. Plugged on as best I could but it was a bit of a death march and I didn't enjoy it much. Mostly because I know I'm better than that and I'm just not getting it right. I don't know if it's the training or a combination of the training and the way I'm racing. We have the Novice B in 2 weeks and I want to win it so I need to sort it out fairly smartly. Any thoughts welcome. Plan for the next 2 weeks is as follows:
    |Mon|Tues|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun
    Wk1|a.m swim p.m karate|Run: 4 x 400|Bike:30min turbo|Run: 3m tempo + karate|Rest|6m steady|triharder training
    Wk2|swim+karate|Run: 40min fartlek|Bike 30min turbo|Karate|Run 5k recovery|Rest|Race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I know squat about squat so apologies for the stupid question, I'm just wondering how or why the karate features in all the training, the swimming & bike I get but is it possible you're tiring your legs too much? I'd imagine there's a good bit of leg work in that? Like I said, I haven't a clue especially at your level!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

S**te K, really sorry to hear this.

If you read this on any of our logs, what would you advise?

Have you had your bloods done lately? You started taking iron tablets a while back but do you think they're having any effect yet? I'm only asking because that's where I'm at. My legs just won't go - it's not like the feeling of needing a gel or a sugar fix, it's a different kind of dead.

Firedance wrote: »
    I know squat about squat so apologies for the stupid question, I'm just wondering how or why the karate features in all the training, the swimming & bike I get but is it possible you're tiring your legs too much? I'd imagine there's a good bit of leg work in that? Like I said, I haven't a clue especially at your level!

Our teacher used to say "the only stupid question is the one you don't ask" :) I started off doing karate because I was having a lot of trouble with my hip last year and one day I was in the garage and the guy fixing my tire was telling about karate and how much core stuff they did. So I tried it and it really seemed to help my hip. So I do it for that but also I love it. I love the discipline and the class structure and now I want to keep doing it and get my black belt : D It is hard on the legs but usually in a good way and in a different way to running and anyway I took 2 rest days before the race today.
    Neady83 wrote: »
    S**te K, really sorry to hear this.

If you read this on any of our logs, what would you advise?

Have you had your bloods done lately? You started taking iron tablets a while back but do you think they're having any effect yet? I'm only asking because that's where I'm at. My legs just won't go - it's not like the feeling of needing a gel or a sugar fix, it's a different kind of dead.

No unlikely they're having much of an effect yet. I think 6 weeks to 3 months depending on how anaemic you are. The thing is I'm training well. My paces are where they should be and I have plenty of energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Ecoli once told me, and I quote: "there is no substitute for specificity."

I never listened to ecoli when he was telling me something I didn't want to hear ;)

Monday:

Sleep: 5 :(

Run: 20 min recovery

Poxy sleep last night. Couldn't settle or get my mind to switch off; too hot, too cold, kept hearing the blood pumping round my veins. I decided to skip karate because I couldn't be doing with another bad sleep and I didn't have time for s swim this morning. I was going to take a rest day but one of the ewes was lambing prematurely this afternoon and she needed a hand because they were dead and coming backwards. I needed a shower after that. Nothing smells as bad as rotten fetal membranes and it permeates everything, even plastic gloves. No point having a shower if I haven't exercised so off with me for a little trot down the road. My foot was a bit sore starting off. I sprained it yesterday during the race when I got tired. I concentrated on landing squarely on my foot and rolling over fully and it was nearly better towards the end. Reflecting on yesterday, I think I need to race a bit smarter. I was afraid to go slower early on because I didn't want to let the front group get away from me but I should have stuck to my plan instead of chasing after Angela. The problem is Angela is like a little Ferrari whereas I'm more of a people carrier and I think a hot early pace is not doing me any favours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Poxy sleep last night. Couldn't settle or get my mind to switch off; too hot, too cold, kept hearing the blood pumping round my veins. I decided to skip karate because I couldn't be doing with another bad sleep and I didn't have time for s swim this morning. I was going to take a rest day but one of the ewes was lambing prematurely this afternoon and she needed a hand because they were dead and coming backwards. I needed a shower after that. Nothing smells as bad as rotten fetal membranes and it permeates everything, even plastic gloves. No point having a shower if I haven't exercised so off with me for a little trot down the road. My foot was a bit sore starting off. I sprained it yesterday during the race when I got tired. I concentrated on landing squarely on my foot and rolling over fully and it was nearly better towards the end. Reflecting on yesterday, I think I need to race a bit smarter. I was afraid to go slower early on because I didn't want to let the front group get away from me but I should have stuck to my plan instead of chasing after Angela. The problem is Angela is like a little Ferrari whereas I'm more of a people carrier and I think a hot early pace is not doing me any favours!

OH NO :eek: not the poor lambies :(:( RIP lambies

It's dang easy to look back on a race and say that you should have raced smarter but when you're in the moment and there's a pack that it seems better to stick to them like glue, you do what you think is best in that moment.

You'll get a chance to race your race next time :)

Run: County Intermediate Road 4k
    Place: 11/31
    Time: 16:33

Disappointed with this. Both the placing and the finishing time. It was held in Faugheen on the 5k route and although there are a few drags, there's plenty of gradual downhill too so it should be a fast course. It was cold and a bit drizzly but no wind to speak of. I had intended to keep a close eye on my pace and keep to 3:55/k for the first couple of k but I forgot my watch. The winner was a woman from Clonmel and she predictably set off in front. I started in about 8th behind Angela but she started to make up places over the first 2k whereas I was happy to stay where I was and after another half a k I was done. My breathing was ok but my legs were gone to lead. Plugged on as best I could but it was a bit of a death march and I didn't enjoy it much. Mostly because I know I'm better than that and I'm just not getting it right. I don't know if it's the training or a combination of the training and the way I'm racing. We have the Novice B in 2 weeks and I want to win it so I need to sort it out fairly smartly. Any thoughts welcome.

I had a couple of similar races last year K, I ran two horrible 5ks that I was disgusted with, cause I knew I was way better than the times I was running. Looking back on both races I went out way to hard in the first mile and faded badly. I ran a 5k then in July in Kinnegad and purposely ran the first mile within myself. I put the boot down for the next 2 miles and comfortably ran a sun 20. I continued this for a few races to get the confidence back and it helped me. Maybe run the first mile or so within yourself and power on after that? Might help get the confidence back in your racing.

Thanks Barry. Ya I think you're right. Gonna try that next time. That's the great thing about the short races, you can do them every couple of weeks :)

Thanks Barry. Ya I think you're right. Gonna try that next time. That's the great thing about the short races, you can do them every couple of weeks :)

Can do no harm sure, looking at that 5k in Kinnegad I started with a 6.30 first mile and finished with a 6.07 and feeling very strong in doing so.

Can do no harm sure, looking at that 5k in Kinnegad I started with a 6.30 first mile and finished with a 6.07 and feeling very strong in doing so.

Nothing wrong with that :D How's the hip today?

Nothing wrong with that :D How's the hip today?

Better than Saturday evening, done 30 mins recovery few hrs ago and felt no pain in doing it. Hopefully it was just the hilly terrain disagreeing with my leg!!

Better than Saturday evening, done 30 mins recovery few hrs ago and felt no pain in doing it. Hopefully it was just the hilly terrain disagreeing with my leg!!

Good stuff :D

Tuesday:

Sleep: 7+1

Bike: 30min Turbo

2min easy
    12min steady + 1 min easy
    2 x (1min standing sprint, 1min seated sprint) 2min rec + repeat
    5min easy

Run: Session
    20 min w/u
    400,300,400,400,400 (86, 61, 89, 87, 87)
    20 min c/d

Heart rate still a bit high this morning. Felt good though and I slept well so I decided to do tomorrow's bike today in case I want to rest tomorrow. I love making up sessions on the turbo as I go along :D I had arranged to meet the girls at the track this evening to do 4 x 400 but I had to go into work at short notice soI had to do it on my own on the road. It's harder on the road and it's harder on your own. Target was 90sec (3:45/k) and 60sec recovery between reps. Had a blond moment on the second rep. Went way too fast and when I looked at my watch after 50 sec I was going at 3:23 pace and I was quickly starting to fade so stopped after 300m and took an extra minute recovery and then did an extra 400 as punishment ;) Happy with the rest of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

You know you have made it when your being quoted as sage wisdom :D

Rather than give my own 2c's on things I will put it to you this way.

If you saw someone's log with the following what advice would you give?

Past few weeks:

- Regular poor nights sleep
    - Slightly elevated resting Heart Rate
    - Regular Heavy/Sore legs
    - Zero tempo/moderate work but plenty of interval/high intensity work.

• Advertisement

You know you have made it when your being quoted as sage wisdom :D

Rather than give my own 2c's on things I will put it to you this way.

If you saw someone's log with the following what advice would you give?

Past few weeks:

- Regular poor nights sleep
    - Slightly elevated resting Heart Rate
    - Regular Heavy/Sore legs
    - Zero tempo/moderate work but plenty of interval/high intensity work.

Thanks I appreciate your point of view and I know I'm not getting the training and the racing quite right yet but it is difficult juggling the different disciplines and the karate and the horses.
    I always sleep badly after karate so I'm going to limit it to one session a week most weeks.
    The heart rate is being monitored but if I didn't train every time it was slightly elevated, I'd hardly be training at all.
    I wouldn't say I regularly have heavy/sore legs. I do after karate sometimes I suppose but if I only do it once a week that should be ok.
    You're not following my log religiously! The last week in February I did 2 steady sessions and a 10k session divided into easy, steady, MP and HMP and I've a tempo planned for Thursday :p

Advertisement