Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of the frying pan, into the .... fish pond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Wednesday:

RHR: 47

Sleep: 8

Run: 20 min recovery

Yoga: 30 min

Few niggles from my hip tonight after the run. I've just spent a good half an hour stretching, concentrating on the hip flexors but I may need to rethink tomorrow's run. Maybe leave it till Friday. I'll see how I feel in the morning. It could be for the best especially if my RHR is still high.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Hey CM, just catching up here, several weeks behind! Sorry to see you are going through a bit of a racing slump (for you!)... But no doubt you'll get the energy back soon... Missed reading this log, where else can you smell the foetal membranes :eek:

Thursday:

RHR: 47

Sleep: 11

Bike: 30 min turbo

Run: 12k w 5k @ Tempo (4:23, 4:23, 4:31, 4:08, 4:23)

Felt good when I got up so decided to jump on the bike first thing. I just kept spinning away while listening to the radio and I had it in low resistance so I thought it should take very little out of me but my legs were very tired in work afterwards and by the time I'd finished the horses I was ready for my leaba. I had arranged to meet the girls at the track in the evening and my hip was good and if I left the run till tomorrow I'd have to do it on the road and I'd likely be just as tired cause I'd have gone to karate. I had time for a lie down for half an hour before we met and that rejuvenated me a good bit. The girls did steady work on Tuesday and they wanted to do intervals so I was on my own for the tempo. I would have preferred to have company but I didn't mind too much. After 2k warm up, I started the tempo. First 2k were grand but the pace slowed during the third k and even upping the effort considerably didn't help so I decided to take a break and then do the rest. I only had my old watch and the lap button doesn't work on it so the only way I was going to get a fairly accurate pace was to do 1k easy. Recovered well during that and then started the tempo again. I was going to do the 2k but I went a bit too fast because the girls were in the middle of one of their intervals and I could hear them behind me so after 1k I did another easy km and then did the last km at tempo and a cool down. I'm pretty happy with the session. It wasn't exactly what I'd planned but a good workout none the less. It was late when we finished up and I had horses to feed and rug up for the night so I skipped karate. I could have just made it but it would have meant no dinner :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I'm struggling to get past this bit:
    Thursday:

Last week or so I've barely got half that any night. :eek:

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    I'm struggling to get past this bit:

Last week or so I've barely got half that any night. :eek:

If it's any consolation I woke at 1am and didn't get back to sleep for a while so it didn't do me as much good as it should have

• Advertisement

Friday:

RHR: 56

Sleep: 6

Bike: 30 min turbo
    5 min easy
    20 min steady
    5 min easy

Feeling a bit tired today. Not mentally but physically. Legs are in pretty decent shape, no major pains anywhere. Resting heart rate is high but just a couple more days in my killer week .

Next week I'm going into hibernation ....

29o5umc.jpg

Saturday:

RHR: 46

Run: 22k @ 5:26

I hadn't planned to run so far but it just kind of happened. It was a fabulous morning and I slept really well and I felt good. No point in having a killer week if it doesn't kill ya ;) There were a few steady drags and a couple of short steep bits and I was happy with how I handled it. My legs feel pretty good now too :) The horses just got left out in the field though. They were delighted, probably thinking you should do long runs more often!!! They haven't been out in the field for a couple of weeks because the wet mud was making their legs sore so there was lots of excitement when they knew they were going out. Head collars and outdoor rugs gave it away ;) and then lots of bucking and rolling, and more rolling and squealing when they were let loose :D Hopefully I'll get a little nap before we start training tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

11 hours sleep!!!!

I'm glad you did 22k running today it might slow you down a little this evening ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I have barely run 22k total this year! DO NOT give her any of those early 80s gels tonight! Hmm do we risk putting you 2 together in the kayak... maybe best bring wetsuits too :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Be careful next week whatever you do. Overload weeks can be great but you have to put as much effort into the recovery as the training. Overload relies completely on supercompensation so you won't get all the benefits if recovery isn't prioritised. I'd be inclined to throw out the thoughts of cutting 20 or 30% in the recovery week and just playing it day by day. Some people need bigger down weeks than others and finding out what you need through experience would be for the best. Stick on the conservative side if you can next week as doing too little instead of too much will be far more beneficial. My 2c.

• Advertisement

El Caballo wrote: »
    Be careful next week whatever you do. Overload weeks can be great but you have to put as much effort into the recovery as the training. Overload relies completely on supercompensation so you won't get all the benefits if recovery isn't prioritised. I'd be inclined to throw out the thoughts of cutting 20 or 30% in the recovery week and just playing it day by day. Some people need bigger down weeks than others and finding out what you need through experience would be for the best. Stick on the conservative side if you can next week as doing too little instead of too much will be far more beneficial. My 2c.

Brilliant. That's a timely post thanks :D

Sunday:

TriHarder SHARTS

Trek: ~16k/3.5hr

Kayak: ~13k/3hr

Bike: ~4.5hr

9 of us started out on Saturday evening with the annual TriHarder trek to the top of Moylussa. The weather was perfect - cool but not cold and it seemed fairly bright at 10pm but maybe that was just the combined head torches. My legs were fine after the run and the only time I felt uncomfortable was near the summit around 550m when it gets very steep, very quickly and my calves had to work extra hard. They've put in boardwalks at the top so we didn't have to drag ourselves across bog. Yet! The next CP was another peak which we followed a fence line to reach but the ground here was marshy with plenty of ravines and peat hags to be negotiated. In Beast 2014, this CP was a bonus worth something like 10 points and the amount of effort needed to get out to it would have you questioning your sanity. In fact I questioned my sanity frequently during this training session!! Once we reached the trig point we turned around and back the way we came down to where we had locked he kayaks near the put in point in Killaloe.

We grabbed a bite to eat before starting and I changed out of my wet socks and shoes into my booties. I was partnered with Peter, our new team mate for ITERA. He's very good in the kayak and has a lot of experience and more than made up for my deficiencies ;) We got into a good rhythm early on and just kept plugging away really. The lake was like glass and not a puff of wind so ideal conditions. I have an old injury in my right forearm and it was giving me grief from an early stage. I tried to push more than pull with my paddle, rotate from my core and hold the paddle wide enough but by halfway my whole right arm had a burning pain going up it on every stroke. I kept telling myself "push through the pain, push through the pain" and it would get better for a while but then we'd still be rounding the headland, like we hadn't moved in twenty minutes and it would hurt again. And I'd tell myself push through the pain, push through the pain. This was repeated ad nauseum :( Because I was favouring my left arm the boat had a tendency to drift to the right so to help keep it straight I was trying to occasionally take gentler strokes with my left arm and deeper strokes with my right and that seemed to work well enough. A couple of times I remember thinking I need to stop and then I'd hear a little voice saying don't be ridiculous, you're not stopping, you can't stop in the middle of the lake, don't be so pathetic, push through the pain, push through the pain. And then we were round the headland and just a short distance to the put in point. Yay :D

I always love getting into the kayaks, it feels so good to be sitting on your backside for a while but I really love getting out of them!!!! We had left the bikes at Garryrichard so after a quick enough transition we were ready to cycle. I had some fruit pastilles for energy and I emptied the water out of the bladder in my bag cause I had a bottle on the bike. I forgot to bring a dry bag so all my 'dry' clothes were damp from the spray but I put on a new top anyway cause it was less damp than the one I'd been wearing and threw on my bike shorts. As promised I wasn't long warming up as we had our first hill to climb early on in the cycle. The bike is a bit of a blur of hills and more hills. We went past our turn off and for several horrible minutes I was preparing myself for a very long and difficult hike a bike. Sean and Mike left us here as they had to get home but before leaving they threw us a lifeline and set us on the right road to bike up to the 'graves of the leinstermen'. There was a lot of climbing and when I tried to stand up and pedal at one stage I got a red hot burning sensation in my quads that had me sitting back down again pretty quickly, I can tell you. Got to the graves, did a nice little descent down the east Clare way and then there was one final kick in the teeth before we finished. Brian was convinced he knew a short cut back to the cars that would save us travelling 4K and come hell or high water we were going on this short cut. We tried to tell him 4K on the road was nothing but to no avail. You know where this is going. After dragging our bikes through muddy lanes, over electric fences, up and down ditches and through undergrowth and trees we ended up at a dead end and had to go all the way back across the field to come out on the road 20m below where the short cut belong. Short cuts make long delays ..... words to live by from Tolkien ;) It was a straightforward ride back to the cars then and Brian cleaned all our bikes with his super dooper power hose for his sins :D

So nearly 11 hours later we finished up a solid training session. I ache all over so easy peasy will be just the ticket for next week.

Yourself and Peter were failry moving that Kayak. Who knew you were suffering!

Put your spare dry clothes into ziplock bags in your gear bag ;)

And FFS a few fruit pastilles! You ran 22km before an 11hour AR session. Last thing we need is to be feeding you some of Seans 15 year old double expresso gels when you start crashing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Somebody has to start using them up!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Yourself and Peter were failry moving that Kayak. Who knew you were suffering!

Put your spare dry close into ziplock bags in your gear bag ;)

And FFS a few fruit pastilles! You ran 22km before an 11hour AR session. Last thing we need is to be feeding you some of Seans 15 year old double expresso gels when you start crashing!

+1 to that. Ye were motoring on the kayak, I'd never have thought you were finding the kayak tough.

That coconutty, datey, nutty, chocolatey ball kept you going until the fruit pastiles? :eek:

It was good craic being out with you guys :)

@ mcos - Yes boss!

@ neady - I had a nut bar at the top of Moylussa and a slice of Jacqo's carrot cake after the trek. I was in the zone in the boat so only had a sip of water

Monday:

Sleep: 12

Slept well thankfully. Woke a couple of times but went back to sleep straight away. I ate lots of protein on Sunday on the form of eggs and chicken and I was very happy with how I was feeling on Monday. Slight pain in my right knee but I did a 5 min jog and everything felt fine. Skipped karate because that would just be stoopid :D

Tuesday:

RHR: 43

Sleep: 7

Another good sleep albeit a bit shorter. Left foot is sore today along the outside arch but I rolled it earlier and it has improved and it wasn't sore when I jogged across the car park in work. My back, shoulders and right arm are sore as well. I've arranged a sports massage on Friday evening because I want to give stuff a little bit more time to settle itself but I think a massage would do me good for the weekend. Very proud of myself because the girls called to go for a run and I said No, I'm not training today! :D And then I did some yoga cause I was getting withdrawal symptoms and chocolate cravings :eek:

Wednesday:

RHR: 40

Sleep: 9

Foot is better, arm is still sore and my left hip is a bit angry this evening. Yoga always makes it better though especially the pigeon stretch. I've had a sore throat and a blocked nose sinve I woke up this morning. Heart rate is good though so hopefully it won't linger around for too long. I was going to do a 30 min run but with my hip the way it is I think I'll leave it. Not too bothered cause I'm a bit tired today even though I've been sleeping well.

Your assertion that you're "sleeping well" could well surpass "Donald Trump's popularity gives the world a very negative impression of Americans" or "That election didn't go well for Labour" as understatement of the year.

Seriously is there any possibility that you're oversleeping? It just seems incredible that a healthy adult (who's not my eldest son) could consistently sleep >9 hours per night.

Your assertion that you're "sleeping well" could well surpass "Donald Trump's popularity gives the world a very negative impression of Americans" or "That election didn't go well for Labour" as understatement of the year.

Seriously is there any possibility that you're oversleeping? It just seems incredible that a healthy adult (who's not my eldest son) could consistently sleep >9 hours per night.

Hahaha that made me laugh :D Did you not know I was a cat in a previous life????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Haha. It's not unusual though, the more training you do, the more sleep you need. I know for instance, Paula Radcliffe used to sleep anywhere from 12-15 hours a day because she needed it to recover from training. It would be more worrying if you were training hard and only 6-7 hours as it's really not enough. Sleep is the ultimate form of recovery and I'd say 9-10 hours is fine and probably needed.

Thursday:

Sleep: 9 + 2

Run: 20 min @ 6:21/k

Yoga: 20 min

Head cold is a bit worse today. Am dosed up on strepsils and paracetamol! Felt slightly human this afternoon and the weather was fab so headed out for a little recovery run. I'm glad I did as my legs felt great and my breathing was never under any strain. No soreness in my hips or feet today and my arm is better but not quite perfect so looking forward to my massage tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Thursday:

Sleep: 9 + 2

Run: 20 min @ 6:21

Yoga: 20 min

Head cold is a bit worse today. Am dosed up on strepsils and paracetamol! Felt slightly human this afternoon and the weather was fab so headed out for a little recovery run. I'm glad I did as my legs felt great and my breathing was never under any strain. No soreness in my hips or feet today and my arm is better but not quite perfect so looking forward to my massage tomorrow :)

I am hoping that pace was minutes per KILOMETER!!! When I first started reading this I wasn't sure...but when I got to "recovery run" it hit me. :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I am hoping that pace was minutes per KILOMETER!!! When I first started reading this I wasn't sure...but when I got to "recovery run" it hit me. :)

About time.... Ireland went metric so long ago I don't even remember it (and that's saying something, before CM says it)....

Dory Dory wrote: »

Sorry yes that is confusing. It's km pace or 10:15/mile. I don't usually mention my recovery pace as it's often (a lot) slower than that :o I've changed to metric because it's easier when I use the track and all my club mates use metric and I like it in races because I think you get more accurate feedback.

About time.... Ireland went metric so long ago I don't even remember it (and that's saying something, before CM says it)....

Ya well I'm stubborn and just so you know, my watch may be measuring metric but my head is still thinking in miles :p

I've changed to metric because it's easier when I use the track and all my club mates use metric and I like it in races because I think you get more accurate feedback.

See above.... ;):P

Friday:

RHR: 42

Sleep: 8

Got a sports massage. It was great. My back and neck were really tight and they felt much better afterwards and it made a huge difference to my arm. I think I'll try and get one every month.

Saturday:

RHR: 43

Sleep: 6

Kayak: 16.45k in 3:03

Up before dawn to meet Mike for an early morning paddle. I didn't realise till I got there that we would be on the river. Yay :D I much prefer it because it's way more interesting than the lake and you actually feel like you're moving. We had lots of swans to keep us company the first time we went up and down the river and lots of boat crews the second time. It was nice and the time flew by. Mike and I had a good rhythm going and my arm was 100% better. My right backside was crampy for the last hour. Not bad but I had to keep changing positions and the wind picked up making it cold. My waterproof jacket is no longer waterproof so when we got out of the water I started shaking uncontrollably. Mike packed up all the gear on his own (thanks Mike :)) while I got some dry clothes on. For one horrible moment I thought I'd only brought a pair of compression tights and there was zero chance I was going to be able to get those on but then I found a tracksuit. Phew :D I've just finished galloping horses and my body temperature has only just returned to normal. I'm going to immerse myself in an unbearably hot bath later! Good training session though so worth all the suffering :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Nice kayak K - I'm glad the arm is better. Which river did ye paddle on?

You racing tomorrow?

• Advertisement

Neady83 wrote: »
    Which river did ye paddle on?

The Shannon between Castleconnel World's End and the Parteen Weir
    Linky

Advertisement