Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of the frying pan, into the .... fish pond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Neady83 wrote: »
    Nice kayak K - I'm glad the arm is better. Which river did ye paddle on?

You racing tomorrow?

Thanks ya I was a bit worried about the arm so good to get it sorted. Thanks for the link Mike. That's very cool :D

Ya racing tomorrow. County novice B road. 3k so short and not so sweet!! I'm pretty knackered now so not too confident of a good run but AR comes first and there was no way I was going to turn down kayak training to rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck tomorrow Kate, have feeling you'll do alright.

Sunday:

RHR: 44

Sleep: 12

Run: County novice B road 3k (12:26)

I ran as well as could be expected I think. Finished 6th. We got team gold and i was second scorer and we won a cup. Our coach LOVES a cup so he was like a little kid at Xmas. It was a tough out and back course. The out bit mostly downhill and then the back bit mostly uphill. I think I paced it well enough. I pulled back after the start and didn't go with the front group and then made up a good few places over the 2nd k. Tried really hard to catch the 5th woman with about 400m to go and I closed the gap to a couple of metres but the last uphill bit really sapped my legs and she pulled away again and I practically walked over the line. I was tired when I woke this morning even after a marathon sleep, my foot was sore and I had a headache so I'd have taken your hand off if I was given team gold then and I'm sort of happy now. My training buddy got 4th and a big pb so delighted for her but I've underperformed in every club race so far this year which doesn't sit well with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Team Gold and second scorer for the team is damn good for somebody who's coming off what would be a months training for some people last week. As you said your focus is A/R at the minute, it's a great performance all things considered. As I've said many times in the past, you'd do very well if you focus on running for a solid period. A/R is your thing at the minute and your doing great stuff there to. Well done Kate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

That's a great performance even if you are a little bit off your best. Bet there will be gains after you get a run of more focused training.

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Team Gold and second scorer for the team is damn good for somebody who's coming off what would be a months training for some people last week. As you said your focus is A/R at the minute, it's a great performance all things considered. As I've said many times in the past, you'd do very well if you focus on running for a solid period. A/R is your thing at the minute and your doing great stuff there to. Well done Kate.

Thanks. If I'm ever in need of a pep talk I'll be knocking on your door :D
    That's a great performance even if you are a little bit off your best. Bet there will be gains after you get a run of more focused training.

Thanks. Haven't read your log in a while. Hope you're keeping well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Thanks. Haven't read your log in a while. Hope you're keeping well!

Ah, I'm ok. At the moment the log is a mix of low-mileage easy running, discussions of twinges-or-not, and the torment of forcing myself to do strengthening. You're missing out on some fascinating stuff .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Thanks. If I'm ever in need of a pep talk I'll be knocking on your door :D

+ 1 to what the motivator said :D I'm not sure how anyone could see team gold as under performing :cool: well done!

Firedance wrote: »
    + 1 to what the motivator said :D I'm not sure how anyone could see team gold as under performing :cool: well done!

I suppose I feel I'm underperforming because I've run the first and also the last 3k of a few 5k's races faster and because people I'd normally finish in front of are beating me. I just want it all you know! I want to do long, hard AR sessions and the expedition races but I also want to win club races and run PBs. I'm greedy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Everyone has their own purple patches and their barren patches. Don't worry about them. Keep the main thing the main thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

+1 to Tangs words of wisdom K. Team gold and a great race on top of the volume of training that you're doing is bloody well going so go easy on yourself and enjoy the glory :) it's just deserved.

I can't do an interval session without the rest going to pot so I'm in awe that you're still racing so well and doing what you're doing.

The Shannon between Castleconnel World's End and the Parteen Weir
    Linky

Nice one, there was a regatta on there last year when we did the other section down to Ardnacrusha.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice one, there was a regatta on there last year when we did the other section down to Ardnacrusha.

I thought about a portage over to the ardnacrusha side but we had enough in the O Brien's Bridge stretch.

Did ye paddle it both ways?

I've competed in that very regatta yonks ago. Great fun. Might lash a dull on power interval for that section on the next paddle :D

P.S. Kate well done on the Team Gold!

I thought about a portage over to the ardnacrusha side but we had enough in the O Brien's Bridge stretch.

Did ye paddle it both ways?

I've competed in that very regatta yonks ago. Great fun. Might lash a dull on power interval for that section on the next paddle :D

We only paddled O' Briens bridge to Ardnacrusha but we jogged 16 miles up and down the bank to warm us up afterwards.

Oh yea a power interval, if I was in the boat with ya I know what I'd be doing, tools down ;)

Monday:

42; 7

Just rode out my horses. I have written down that I had a headache but felt good otherwise.

Tuesday:

44; 6

Run: 6.2k easy

Met the girls at the track and we ran for 33 minutes around the track. Legs were pretty good.

Bike: 33k @ 23k/hr

I had to get a tooth removed this afternoon and while I was told I was not to exercise in case it caused a bleed, I took that to mean I was not to do any strenuous exercise and that a little excursion on my bike would be OK. Anyway I had arranged to meet a group and the tooth didn't feel too bad. Even though we were going slowly enough I struggled a bit at times to keep up so I probably would have been better off staying at home but it was a lovely evening and an enjoyable route so glad I did it

wednesday:

46; 5

Rest. Tooth was sore so I skipped karate and went to bed instead :D

Thursday:

43; 10

Run: 7k easy @ 5:49

Legs were a bit tired. It was late-ish when I did this though and I'd been going all day.

Karate: 90 min

Friday:

46; 6.5

Kayak: ~12k in 2:20

Was a bit late meeting Mike cause I wasn't exactly sure where we were meeting and I went the wrong way. Mike will make a great AR RD someday because he's only happy when we get properly wet. We had a little adventure to start. We set off paddling upstream and then fairly soon had to negotiate several weirs. It was too rocky to paddle so Mike dragged the boat up over them, sometimes with me in it! Well, I am the Queen after all :p We carried the boat along a trail path to avoid another weir and then we got out onto flat water. From here it was a straightforward paddle for about 5k up to parteen weir. We were going upstream and there was a nice breeze behind us but the water was a bit rougher than the last day. We detoured around a little island where we met two unfriendly fishermen who were most aggrieved to see us coming for their lines! We turned around in front of Parteen and began the more difficult return journey into the wind. The swell had picked up more and there were lots of times when the waves splashed in over the top of the boat. Luckily I had my new jacket on which kept me toasty warm. We gave the fishermen a wide berth and in what felt like no time we were passing the boat club and getting ready for the fun bit, going down the rapids!!! So much fun. Sean, you taught me well in Beast 14 because we rocked those rapids today :D

Run: 5k easy @ 5:24

Had a big feed of steak and potatoes when I got home and then after a little snooze I headed out for my fun. Legs were tired. They worked hard in the kayak today. The wind was behind me for a lot of the way and I walked up the school hill.

Bike: 60 min turbo

Easy spinning listening to the radio. Had a For Goodness Shake recovery drink. I'm going to be sleeping like a baby tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Kayak sounds great ;)

Saturday:

48; 8

Nothing. Legs were sore particularly my hamstrings so just did the horses and had a little snooze in the afternoon.

Sunday:

46; 5

Run: 11k @ 5:28

Legs were much better today but still a bit heavy. I'd say 3/5. It was very windy so I took a different route a couple of times to keep the wind behind me because I was hardly moving running into the wind.

Nice day of training on Friday K, especially the kayak :) Tell me more about this new jacket? I'm glad it's stood up to it's first test.

p.s. you just reminded me of the womens boat race between Cambridge and Oxford on Saturday, the poor Cambridge ladies almost sank from the swell and choppiness of the Thames. Well worth a watch if you can get a clip of it.

Nice day of training on Friday K, especially the kayak :) Tell me more about this new jacket? I'm glad it's stood up to it's first test.

p.s. you just reminded me of the womens boat race between Cambridge and Oxford on Saturday, the poor Cambridge ladies almost sank from the swell and choppiness of the Thames. Well worth a watch if you can get a clip of it.
    Hardy girls kept going! Those were some rough conditions alright. Electric pumps in the boat though. These days..;)

• Advertisement

Thanks :) The jacket is a Columbia http://www.columbiasportswear.ie/IE/rainstormer-jacket-%7C-580-%7C-l-888665132706.html and I got a fleece http://www.columbiasportswear.ie/IE/summit-rush-full-zip-hoodie-%7C-564-%7C-l-888458885949.html to go inside it. The Ronhill jackets we had for the Beast in 2014 were good at the time but I didn't think they lasted very well so I went for Columbia cause that's what Enduro wears (the power of advertising) :D

Monday:

56; 5

Run: 30 min recovery

Yoga: 30 min

Hamstrings still sore but legs ok otherwise. The yoga seem to improve them.

Tuesday:

42; 9

Run: 6k @ 5:31

Hamstrings better but legs were tired. I was going to do some hill sprints but I didn't think there would be much benefit. I'd like to line up at the Munsters on Sunday and not have heavy legs! So the goal for this week is to do enough without doing too much. Must do some swimming this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Thanks :) The jacket is a Columbia http://www.columbiasportswear.ie/IE/rainstormer-jacket-%7C-580-%7C-l-888665132706.html and I got a fleece http://www.columbiasportswear.ie/IE/summit-rush-full-zip-hoodie-%7C-564-%7C-l-888458885949.html to go inside it. The Ronhill jackets we had for the Beast in 2014 were good at the time but I didn't think they lasted very well so I went for Columbia cause that's what Enduro wears (the power of advertising) :D

Been looking at the Columbia myself, Patagonia too, so much choice.

Pulled the trigger on a light military grade shell a couple of weeks ago but they are out of stock. The Ronhill didn't last with the stuff we put them through and I think part of the knack is in the washing of them. Material seemed to soften up with washing.

Need to frame mine as the memories that gear has engrained in it is class :D

Nice, well wear. Jackets are pricey but worth every penny if you get the right one and it keeps you dry :)

Pulled the trigger on Columbia. Interestingly checked your link and I've ordered the very same one as yours! Lots of options but the breathability was an important factor, especially if you are wearing in in the kayak. You seemed much happier after our paddle last week than the week before

Pulled the trigger on Columbia. Interestingly checked your link and I've ordered the very same one as yours! Lots of options but the breathability was an important factor, especially if you are wearing in in the kayak. You seemed much happier after our paddle last week than the week before

I've a North Face five point jacket that I bought for the hills about five years ago. It's served me well and is still going strong - breathable, waterproof and light weight. Just another option for anyone shopping :)

Hopefully that shows great (teammates) minds think alike :D

I was so much warmer the last day coming out of the boat. J@sus I even managed to be nice to those pesky kids!!!! When your very cold it really affects your mood, no matter how hard you try not to let it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Just wondering, how come yous don't use a cag as your jacket in the kayak? Would you have to carry it yourself for the whole race or could you have it at the kayaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

joey100 wrote: »
    Just wondering, how come yous don't use a cag as your jacket in the kayak? Would you have to carry it yourself for the whole race or could you have it at the kayaks?

I use one training.

Could put it in the dry bags to go with the seats & paddles when racing but more gear to remember to pack. Depending on the weather you might already be in the rain gear anyway so taking it off to put the cag on, stash the raingear strip at the end etc etc something will be left behind.

• Advertisement

Wednesday:

Core: I downloaded this app called Seven to my phone. It's quite cool cause you do a full body workout in a circuit in 7.5 minutes and you can do as many circuits as you like. I did 2 today. I have the drill sergeant shouting at me which is fun and you can do it while you're waiting for dinner to cook :D

Thursday:

Run: 6k @ 5:13

Legs felt super bouncy today. They haven't felt this good for ages and ages :D I had a few aches from all the lunges I did yesterday

Karate: 90 min

Really tough class because there was only about 10 of us but tough classes are the most fun ;)

Friday:

Swim: 1.1k
    200 easy
    3 x 100 pb
    200 easy
    200 pb
    200 easy

Mike made me feel guilty last week for neglecting my swimming so this was a come back session. Felt good enough in the water.

Club coach has banned me from bike and boat until after Sunday's race :D

Advertisement