Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of the frying pan, into the .... fish pond

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Coach is right!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck tomorrow Kate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow Kate.

+1 give it socks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

El Caballo wrote: »
    +1 give it socks!

++1 K, hope it's a good one for you :) Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

^^^ What they said. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Thanks for the well wishes. Unfortunately they didn't do me any good cause I ran another rubbish race. Not going to dwell on it too much. As much as people are trying to tell me it's just all the training etc etc, I know something is not right so I got a blood test done today. Should have done it weeks ago but cest la vie. Will have the results by the end of the week and I'll take it from there. Ive been a bit hit and miss with the iron tablets so I hope I'm just anaemic cause that would be easy to fix :)

Awh shoot, sorry to hear that Kate. Fingers crossed the doc gets to the bottom of it :)

p.s. at least there's some amazing dot watching to keep your mind busy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Neady83 wrote: »
    Awh shoot, sorry to hear that Kate. Fingers crossed the doc gets to the bottom of it :)

p.s. at least there's some amazing dot watching to keep your mind busy

big +1 to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

hope you get sorted soon K

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Disappointed for you, hope you get it sorted soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

"I have the drill sergeant shouting at me which is fun and you can do it while you're waiting for dinner to cook :D"

Might look peculiar though if you're waiting for your dinner in the Chippee :)

Hope it all turns out well for you and is something simple like triathleticwussism!

TbL

Thanks guys :) Ah it's not the end of the world ... I can still train and I feel fine :D What I'm hoping is that I'm just mildly anaemic so that I'm getting enough oxygen when I do low intensity exercise but when I race/do high intensity stuff my body isn't able to cope. That would make the most sense to me and if it's true, once I get it sorted, I'll have had all the benefits of high altitude training without going to high altitude :D

@TbL it would be one way to get your dinner a bit faster :D

Oh and careful now, there's no one over here been sunning themselves on a cruise ship for the last 3 weeks :p

Monday:

Rest

Tuesday:

Run: 6k easy @ 5:53

Bike: 60 min easy

Wednesday:

Run: 6k easy @ 5:50

Bike: 65 min easy

Karate: 90 min

Thursday:

Run: 6k easy @ 5:50

So I've been training away. All easy effort. The runs are fine except when I'm going up the school hill near the end of the run and it really wipes me out.
    The bikes were all on the turbo. Just spinning away with no resistance of note. I had planned to do another karate class later on but I'm exhausted now so I think I'll have an early night. Blood results came back today. Haemoglobin levels are within the normal range but ferritin levels are lower than normal. This means that I have a normal amount of iron in my blood but the tissues and organs are slightly deficient, which ties in with my symptoms because I seem to have enough energy when I exercise at a low intensity but I race/train hard and there's a massive increase in oxygen demand my body just crashes.

So I've been training away. All easy effort. The runs are fine except when I'm going up the school hill near the end of the run and it really wipes me out.
    The bikes were all on the turbo. Just spinning away with no resistance of note. I had planned to do another karate class later on but I'm exhausted now so I think I'll have an early night. Blood results came back today. Haemoglobin levels are within the normal range but ferritin levels are lower than normal. This means that I have a normal amount of iron in my blood but the tissues and organs are slightly deficient, which ties in with my symptoms because I seem to have enough energy when I exercise at a low intensity but I race/train hard and there's a massive increase in oxygen demand my body just crashes.

Glad you got a diagnoses ..... how do you resolve that? Keep taking iron until the levels in tissue and organs come up to par?

It's a ****ty feeling being tired all the time. Rest up, better now than in two or three months time.

Glad you got a diagnoses ..... how do you resolve that? Keep taking iron until the levels in tissue and organs come up to par?

It's a ****ty feeling being tired all the time. Rest up, better now than in two or three months time.

Ya just keep lashing in the iron and hopefully I'll start to feel energised soon!!!

Friday:

Bike: 65 min turbo

Easy peasy. Was racing horses in Wexford so didn't have time for any more training. Every time I go to Wexford it spills rain #notsosunnysoutheast :cool:

Saturday:

Run: 6k recovery @ 6:25

Was supposed to go swimming but I couldn't be bothered :o

Sunday:

Nothing. Was down in Cork and had my run gear with me but the wind and rain was horrendous. Happy enough with 4 runs, 3 bikes and a karate session this week so I thought there was no need to inflict further torture on myself!!!

There was lots of snow on the Galtees this afternoon:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Friday:

Was racing horses in Wexford so didn't have time for any more training. Every time I go to Wexford it spills rain #notsosunnysoutheast :cool:

You'd right to let me know; I'd have organised some sun...

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    You'd right to let me know; I'd have organised some sun...

Oh sorry didn't realise you could control the elements now! Next time .... :D

Monday:

Run: 10k @ 5:32

Easy with a few steady km mixed in. I feel like I have more energy today and the pace naturally picked up after the first km. I had to mix in some slower kilometres as well though because after a while I was working harder than I wanted

Bike: 90 min turbo

Easy spinning, low resistance

Yoga: 30 min

Legs and hip feeling a bit tight so some gentle poses to help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Oh sorry didn't realise you could control the elements now! Next time .... :D

Sure doesn't the sun always shine when I'm around?

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Sure doesn't the sun always shine when I'm around?

Em .... no :p

Tuesday:

Bike: 30 min turbo

Easy spinning before breakfast.

Swim: 1500m

Didn't feel like swimming today but it's annoying me that I never get any swimming done and I had no excuses today because I got lunch after work and then went to the bike shop and went into the pool on the way home. I didn't feel like stopping so I broke it into 3 x 500m or up and down is one so 3 x 10 up and down. I was using the pull bouy so this was easy peasy :)

Run: 6k @ 6:13

Jumped into bed for an hour when I got back from my swim. It was a lovely evening and I was toying with the idea of doing another 30 min on the turbo but decided to do a recovery run instead. Happy with my day now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Hope you are starting to feel better and getting your energy back?

annapr wrote: »
    Hope you are starting to feel better and getting your energy back?

Thanks Anna. Feeling better this week thankfully :D

Wednesday:

Bike: 30 min turbo

Thursday:

Run: 9k @ 5:25

Friday:

Bike: 60 min turbo

Feeling good the last few days. Bikes were all easy spinning although I did increase the resistance a touch this morning. This is the first week I've been able for 2 karate classes and they were both hard work. I always groan inwardly when I walk into the hall and see a small class because it always means it's going to be hard. Sensai is able to watch everybody so every move and every kick has to be good! You get some workout though. My abs are aching today! Very happy with the run yesterday. My legs were tired but the pace was good. I'm going to do another week of all easy paced stuff though and tomorrow Mike and I are meeting up for a looooooong paddle (with some weirs thrown in at the end to keep me happy :D)

Saturday:

Kayak: 22k in 3:30

Run: 8k in 0:53

The thought crossed my mind this morning "what kind of madness has me out of bed and nearly getting my head kicked off feeding horses in the field at 4a.m?" (Early feed + moving torch light = great excitement) But as Mike rightly pointed out sure we'll be racing for 5 days and we'll be questioning our sanity many times :D It was a beautiful morning. One of those ones that makes you happy to be fit and healthy and alive.
    We left the kayak at the boat house and Mike drove us down to the park below the weirs. We left the car there and jogged back with the oars and pfds. I'm sure we'd have got some funny looks if we were spotted. It was a nice way to warm up before jumping into the boat. We did 2 x up to Parkeen weir and back. The first time we had only swans and ducks for company but the river got very busy very quickly as the boat clubs came on and the second time we had to hug the bank to keep out of their way. There was a cold breeze on the river and a bit of swell the second time up. I had 3 layers on and I was worried about being too warm but it was not the case. Turns out not all base layers are made equal and I had a new one on which was holding on to all the moisture and making me very cold especially in the cold wind. My hands and toes went numb after a couple of hours as well.
    We kept a good pace up. Mostly because I was quickly reprimanded any time my stroke rate dropped!!! The last two k was down over the weirs. Not as much of a thrill as the first time we did them but still fun. There was a group of kiddy kayakers getting ready to launch as we approached the car park. Their boats are so cute! We racked ours as quickly as possible cause it was freezing and then set off to explore some paths/trails/woods that were on the bank of the river. It was hard to get my legs working initially. They were numb from the cold but by the time we arrived back at my car, I'd almost warmed up!! Good session to have in the bag before 11:30 a.m :D

Great early morning kayak, yer getting great time on the water. Glad to see you're feeling better too.

p.s. I'm sure the horse were thinking 'what kind of madness has her out here feeding us at 4:30 in the morning' too ;)

Great early morning kayak, yer getting great time on the water. Glad to see you're feeling better too.

p.s. I'm sure the horse were thinking 'what kind of madness has her out here feeding us at 4:30 in the morning' too ;)

Haha you're probably right :D

Sunday:

Run: 7k @ 5:28

Did this on the track with a friend and we were nattering away so the pace was a bit faster than it should have been. It's so nice running in the track! My calves were sore yesterday after the kayak but they were fine today. I was feeling a little tired towards the end however.

Run|Bike|Swim|Kayak|Karate/Yoga
    40k|3hr30|1.5k|22k|3hr30

• Advertisement

Monday:

Nada. I was supposed to get up early and jump on the bike but I went back to sleep instead. I was due a rest day anyway ;)

Tuesday:

Run: 11k @ 5:10

I was tired today. Couldn't face going swimming after work and I jumped into bed for a couple of hours when I got home. It was a fabulous evening which made me want to run and I picked a route where I could short cut home if I wasn't feeling the love. Didn't plan to run at steady pace but it wasn't taking a big effort so I decided to go with it. My half marathon plans have kind of been shot to bits but the club are holding the annual 10k race on June 6th so the plan is to race that and then do Portumna on the 11th as a LSR. The reason for this is that I'm thinking I have a better chance of racing a 10k well off 6 weeks training than I do a half marathon!

Advertisement