Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of the frying pan, into the .... fish pond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Friday:

Run: Poulmucka 8k race - 33:09

3rd woman :D

Splits: 4:10, 4:07, 4:04, 4:12, 4:25, 4:09, 4:03, 3:57

I love this race. It's a tough but fair course and it's really well supported by the local athletics clubs so the standard is quite high. I ran it in 2013 in 33:24 on the back of Limerick marathon training and my goal for tonight was to get a PB. Ideally I wanted to get my average pace down to 4:10/k. That was until I saw a guy, JH, I was in college with at the start! Then my only mission was to beat him. Not because I think he's arrogant and condescending. Or because I get the feeling when I meet him that he looks down on me because he thinks he's better than me and he has a better job. No the reason I had to beat him was because I knew what a massive blow to his ego it would be!

Between the 5k and the 8k there was a mass of people. I did a 20min warm up but the start was delayed a bit because they had to bus the 5k people out to the 3k mark so both races could start together. I was getting a bit cold even though it was a very warm evening so I was glad when we eventually lined up. I was a few rows back but that didn't bother me because shortly after the start there's a hill that climbs steadily for about 500m and it's easy to go into the red early on. I got a good start and there wasn't too many people getting in my way. I had a couple of glances at the watch to make sure I wasn't going to fast and I spotted JH about 20m ahead of me. There was a bit of a headwind and I was trying to get as much shelter as I could but it was difficult to latch on to a group. I felt I was running well although I got a bit of a shock during the 2nd k when I saw 4:34 on the watch. Crap. Need to wake up. I was running alongside a woman in a black and amber singlet at this point and although we were going uphill I decided to put the boot down because as well as the pace dropping, JH was starting to pull away. Also I knew there was a nice downhill coming so I wouldn't be punished too much by quickening up. I was able to latch on to a few people now and get a bit of cover from the wind although one lady was doing her best to keep moving away from me. I kept moving from group to group and I was starting to close the gap on JH. I felt good and my breathing was nicely under control. Towards the end of the 4th k I was right up with JH's group and I tucked in just behind him until we came to the water station. I moved to the other side of the road to grab a cup and as I did I overtook him. I took a gulp of water, threw my cup in the bin and decided to push on hard down the next little downhill. I couldn't hear anyone coming with me but I was on my own now and I was going to have to work up the next long drag on my own. The pace dropped here even though I was working quite hard up it but I passed the 5k mark in 20:50 bang on target. The next couple of k I was on my own for and I just tried to keep the effort up. The course was nice and flat here and the wind seemed to have abated. I was passing a good few of the backmarkers from the 5k which was nice even if they were walking :) After we went by the 7k mark a guy in a white shirt passed me and said something encouraging and then we turned back onto the main road for the last drag uphill. I started counting going up the hill just to keep me focused and then I was at the top and it was downhill to the finish. I didn't have a whole pile left at the finish and I'm pretty happy with that time. JH finished about 25 sec behind me. He didn't stop for a chat :D The two women in front of me finished in 29:xx and 31:xx. Had to wait till ten o clock for the prize giving but I got E60 for coming third so happy out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

That was until I saw a guy, JH, I was in college with at the start! Then my only mission was to beat him. Not because I think he's arrogant and condescending. Or because I get the feeling when I meet him that he looks down on me because he thinks he's better than me and he has a better job. No the reason I had to beat him was because I knew what a massive blow to his ego it would be!

Love it :D
    Well done on the pb & 3rd spot

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

Friday:

Run: Poulmucka 8k race - 33:09

3rd woman :D
    well done CM, got stuck in work so I missed the race, sickened... love the report. hope you got fed well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Jayney mac! All these podiums! You'll be able to go semi-pro with the winnings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

And she's back :D (not that you were gone very far...) Lovely, well done!

• Advertisement

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Love it :D
    Well done on the pb & 3rd spot

Thanks Joe :D
    dcorcaigh wrote: »
    well done CM, got stuck in work so I missed the race, sickened... love the report. hope you got fed well!!

Aw pity! Yes I was well fed. There was the usual mammoth spread of food. One of the organisers was telling me he spent the day making ham sandwiches ... 39 sliced pan :D
    AKW wrote: »
    Jayney mac! All these podiums! You'll be able to go semi-pro with the winnings :D

I'm saving up for a bike ;)
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    And she's back :D (not that you were gone very far...) Lovely, well done!

Thanks Dg :D

Saturday:

Swim: 3.3k

200 easy
    200 kick
    50 fist
    100 pb
    50 fist
    200 pb
    50 fist
    300 pb
    50 fist
    400 pb
    50 fist
    500 pb
    50 fist
    600 pb
    50 fist
    450 alternating fc and backstroke

I was up at half 5 to work horses then back to bed for a power nap then to the pool. I had the lane mostly to myself which is always nice :) Legs feel great now :D

Sunday:

11.8m @ 8:37

Legs are good but I feel mentally drained. I'd say I've been asleep for more hours this weekend than I have been awake. I was going to leave this till tomorrow but I needed an excuse not to go hillwalking and 'Sorry I have to do my long run' was perfect :D

Weekly totals:

Run: 31.5m
    Swim: 8.5k
    Bike: 30k :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

JH finished about 25 sec behind me. He didn't stop for a chat :D

Hee hee hee :)
    Had to wait till ten o clock for the prize giving but I got E60 for coming third so happy out :D

well done!

Monday:

Rest. I was lazy and I slept for most of the day. I have to redo my assignment. I need another 800 words. 8 fricken hundred. That's a lot of words. I could go a week without using 800 words :mad:

Tuesday:

Swim: 2.4k

200 easy
    200 kick
    200 fingertip
    4 x 50 shoulder tap, one arm
    200 pb
    200 pb & fist
    4 x 50 fist
    100 TT in 2:01
    200 pb alternating 50 BE 3, 50 BE 5
    200 pb & fist alternating 50 BE 3, 50 BE 5
    4 x 50 fist
    100 TT in 2:01
    200 alternating fc and backstroke

I thought last month that I'd have my 100m PB well under 2 min by now but that is not the case. Only managed to equal last months time but at least they were both 2:01. Last time I dropped to 2:05 I think on the second one. Both had exactly the same splits as well 28, 31, 31, 31. More work required :(

Run: 6.24m @ 8:40

One of the guys from Moyne A.C that I met at the 5k race offered to give me a guided tour of the 10k route for next Monday which I gratefully accepted. It's nice knowing the course when you're racing :) There's a couple of small drags and there was a bit of a headwind in places tonight but it seems fair enough. The inside of my heel was a bit tender when I got home so it looks like this is going to be a low mileage week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Take your last 5k race report, take out 3 of every 4 words, jumble them up and fire them in. They'll never notice. Honest.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Take your last 5k race report, take out 3 of every 4 words, jumble them up and fire them in. They'll never notice. Honest.

Hmmm that would be em, interesting, alright :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Ah here, i go on two weeks holidays and you do a disappearing act!! Well done on the 5k win & time. Its of course well earned & more than deserved with the training you put in, massive congrats Kate. Dont be a stranger now.

tang1 wrote: »
    Ah here, i go on two weeks holidays and you do a disappearing act!! Well done on the 5k win & time. Its of course well earned & more than deserved with the training you put in, massive congrats Kate. Dont be a stranger now.

Hi Barry :D thanks a mill

I was going to welcome you back from your hols on your log this morning but that tan of yours had blinded me and I needed to go and sit in a dark room for a while :D

Hi Barry :D thanks a mill

I was going to welcome you back from your hols on your log this morning but that tan of yours had blinded me and I needed to go and sit in a dark room for a while :D

It didnt take a genius for other nationalities to pick out the pasty Irishman by the pool alright!! Classic farmers tan!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Well done on the 8k podium finish, loved the race report... we can now add JH to Eileen, girl in pink shirt and other nemeses that you have left in the dust in races :D

It didnt take a genius for other nationalities to pick out the pasty Irishman by the pool alright!! Classic farmers tan!

Don't knock the farmers tan! It's a good honest hardworking tan :D

annapr wrote: »
    Well done on the 8k podium finish, loved the race report... we can now add JH to Eileen, girl in pink shirt and other nemeses that you have left in the dust in races :D

Thanks Anna :D I got the low down on Eileen tonight. She beat me in Loughmore and she's a county intermediate champion so I may have met my match there. Round 3 on Monday .... ding, ding :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Thanks Anna :D I got the low down on Eileen tonight. She beat me in Loughmore and she's a county intermediate champion so I may have met my match there. Round 3 on Monday .... ding, ding :D

poor Eileen... she doesn't stand a chance!

Wednesday:

Nothing. The body is a bit fragile this week! I've random aches and pains in lots of places .... left heel, left forefoot, both quads, right forearm etc etc

Dear Running Gods,
    Forgive me for I have sinned. I did 4 races in the last month. Big deal :rolleyes: I do not deserve another injury. Please let me race on Monday. I promise that will be my only race in June*
    Yours in sport
    cm

* apart from a 5k the week after, the Rogaine 24hr and the 10k in Dundrum :D

Thursday:

Run: 5m easy with strides

I got a few painful darts through my heel after half a mile but the rest of the run was fine and the strides felt good.

Swim: 2.4k
    200sw, 200pb, 200k
    1min rest
    400m TT in 9:05*
    800 pb
    400 steady
    200 alternating fc and backstroke

34 sec pb on the last timed 400 I did back in March. I'm happy although I would have quite liked a time beginning with 8:xx :)

• Advertisement

24hr? Really? Not that your not up to it.

24hr? Really? Not that your not up to it.
    Oh no it's ok, I'll have my teamies with me.
    http://www.setantaorienteers.org/event/rogaine-ireland-2015-wicklow-moutains-pre-entry

Beast training. All very hush hush (lots of spies around) ;):D

Oh no it's ok, I'll have my teamies with me.
    http://www.setantaorienteers.org/event/rogaine-ireland-2015-wicklow-moutains-pre-entry

Beast training. All very hush hush (lots of spies around) ;):D

Ah get you now, looks interesting that. Never heard of a rogaine before.

Ah get you now, looks interesting that. Never heard of a rogaine before.

It's a new one on me too. Should be lots of fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

I thought Rogaine was for baldy blokes.

pointer28 wrote: »

Really???

Edit: Oh I get it now. Sorry bit slow :)

Are you saying that Team Triharder will have pulled their hair out after 24hrs with our CM? That's terrible, really shocking. Consider this my leap to her defence..... :o:p

Are you saying that Team Triharder will have pulled their hair out after 24hrs with our CM? That's terrible, really shocking. Consider this my leap to her defence..... :o:p

Hahaha :D Well played :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Teachers pet?

• Advertisement

Teachers pet?

Paint a target on yourself, someone will take a shot....

Advertisement