Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of the frying pan, into the .... fish pond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

pointer28 wrote: »
    Teachers pet?

Always :D
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Paint a target on yourself, someone will take a shot....

I like people taking shots at me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tang1 wrote: »
    24hr? Really? Not that your not up to it.

Piece of cake for CM. :)

Friday:

Run: 10k easy

I did another recce of the Moyne 10k course with a girl from the club that I met on Tuesday. She used to run as a kid and has just started back again this year. We have a very similar easy pace and the run flew by with all the chatter. I think I'll join the club in Moyne and in future I can cycle out there, do my run and cycle home :)

Saturday:

6m as 1S,1MP,1E,1HMP,1S,1E

Splits: 8:14, 7:34, 8:18, 7:15, 7:55, 8:30

I woke up this morning with an uncomfortable feeling when I swallowed and sore, swollen glands :mad: I think possibly my body is trying to tell me something!!! I decided to skip my swim. I had planned a 1000m TT but I thought it might be better not to go in the water when I'm not well. Dad came with me for the run on his bike. If I started feeling really bad my plan was to acquire the bicycle and Dad could find his own way home ;) I was only going to run at easy pace but the first mile was a bit faster than planned and the second mile was faster than that and then I just made up a little session as I went along. I'm thinking now I might give the race on Monday a miss. I have a very busy, stressful, fun day tomorrow and I'll only do the 10k if I'm 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Hopefully its nothing to sinister and you can run Monday. Be interesting to see how you do over 10k after your recent block of solid training & 5ks.

• Advertisement

Hopefully its nothing to sinister and you can run Monday. Be interesting to see how you do over 10k after your recent block of solid training & 5ks.
    I met one of the lads from the club today and I sort of said I would be doing it so now I kind of have to :) My glands are better today anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Glad you're feeling better. I've every faith that you'll knock out another podium finish tomorrow :) Looking forward to the race report :)

Sunday:

4.35m @ 10:37

Easy peasy recovery run before I went to Listowel with my ladies. Mireya paid for our day out by coming 4th :D They're glad to be back in their field now.

?ui=2&ik=99299c77ff&view=fimg&th=14daba607ee15b16&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ-NW4w6c8rBlXlI1E7xufoDfaulRntLB4rBNQcyOl3GXnDOU3ovZkVZ8iFVscfrZFRgACwCNRSAXvlERLHN3Q0rmjq0rIoYHySN8m_Gl11AVKusmkTN2jYpZU8&ats=1433103907030&rm=14daba607ee15b16&zw&sz=w1332-h513

May totals:

Run: 152.3m
    Pretty good. It's my second highest month since last April
    Swim: 34.45k
    Grand. I may need to cut back my swimming a bit. My right forearm is getting worse
    Bike: 52.5k
    Oops sorry Mike. I will do better next month. I promise :D
    Core: :o
    I started off the month ok but then it just dwindled out
    Study: :eek::eek:
    I'm still not past Unit 2. I have started Unit 2 but at this rate I'm not going to be finished till 2020 :rolleyes:

Monday:

Moyne 10k - 42:27

Splits: 4:12, 4:17, 4:09, 4:11, 4:09, 4:16, 4:22, 4:14, 4:26, 4:05

1st woman :D

It was a nice morning here up until 11 o clock when the wind picked up and it started to pour rain :rolleyes: Oh well at least it was expected but in my head my target pace was getting slower as the morning went on.

I did a 15 minute warm up after registering, one lap of the track and then out the road to assess conditions. Same as for the recent 5k I did here, the last kilometre the wind would be behind us but kilometres 6 - 9 were going to be bleugh :( I got totally drenched warming up but luckily I had brought a spare jacket and a dry top for afterwards. I forgot to bring a tracksuit bottoms though.

There was a 5k race as well and both races were starting together. The 5k was starting 400m back so the 10k people got to wait in the nice dry warm hall until the 5k people were lined up. We were called out shortly after and I lined up in the front row. It was hard to suss out the opposition today but I'd seen Eileen in the hall and the girl from Dundrum (amber and black singlet)that I passed going up the hill in Poulmucka. Her name is Laura.

We got the countdown and off we went. The target I had for the first k was 4:10 - 4:15. As usual everyone flies it at the start but I tried to stay calm and keep an eye on who passed by as well as an eye on my watch. A woman with a baseball cap on went by as we went out of the town and I thought maybe another woman who I wasn't that bothered about cause she had a jumper on I think. No sign of Eileen which I thought was odd because in the other two races she's always passed me out at the start.

Anyway I decided to focus on my own race and I was still going a tiny bit faster than I wanted. Laura came up beside me soon after this and we had a little chat. I wanted to slow it down a tiny bit more though so I pulled back about 10m off her and I was happy going through the first km in 4:12. The wind was blowing across us here and it wasn't having too much of an effect luckily as there wasn't many people to shelter behind. After the next little uphill drag I thought Laura was just starting to pull away from me a bit so I upped the effort slightly and over the next 300 - 400m I caught up with her again. We had another little chat and I thought she was struggling a tiny bit so I told her to tuck in behind me if she wanted and we'd try and catch the guy in a Dingle marathon top who was about 15m ahead of us before we turned into the wind.

I caught up to him as we went around the bend and I ran with him for a while. I couldn't hear Laura and I didn't want to turn. I thought Dingle marathon guy was slowing a bit and I went on from him going up the next hill. People were quite strung out and I couldn't really find anyone who was running at my pace so I spent the next couple of k catching up to guys, sheltering behind them for a few seconds and then moving on. I went through 5k in ~21min. I was happy with that. Not too fast but not too slow either considering the second half of the course was going to be more difficult due to the wind.

I think around this time I went past the woman in the baseball cap when I was going up a small hill. She had kind of fallen back off the guy she was running with and as I drew up alongside her she quickened up the pace again for a few seconds but then I was gone past her. We turned again and the wind was starting to get quite strong. There was a guy in a green top who I sheltered behind for a few seconds but he was just going a shade too slowly and he was running in the middle of the road so I moved on past him and eyed up my next target who was a guy in a blue and white singlet about 15m ahead.

I was working hard along here and I had to tell myself to pump my arms and lift my knees as we went up a few little drags. It definitely was a help having run the route twice during the week though. We turned again after the cheese factory and the wind was brutal now. Just after the 7k mark there was a water station. I didn't take any water. I don't think I'd have been capable of swallowing it and I wasn't too hot. The guy in the blue and white singlet stopped briefly to grab a cup and I went by him. I could hear him just behind me and he came up alongside me after a bit but I went ahead of him again.

We were starting to catch the 5k walkers now which gave me something to think about. Thankfully as there was a horrible headwind along here and I was struggling. There was an uphill bit as well and I knew once I got up that I'd have a nice little downhill and then a couple of hundred metres and we'd be turning out of the wind. Blue and white singlet guy went ahead of me shortly after this. My legs were tiring and I kept trying to swallow and get a good breath in but I wasn't able to. I dropped about 5m back off the guy now and as we went around the turn he roared something at me like get back up here again and bring it home :D

I said Ok coming and then I caught back up to him and then I went past him :D I was on the verge of starting to hyperventilate though and my legs felt really weak so I started to try and control my breathing by taking big deep breaths and counting. The guy in the green shirt came past me (bastard using me as a wind breaker :mad:) and then I saw the finish line. Yay. So I tried to sprint a bit but I didn't have anything left so it wasn't much of a sprint! The woman in the baseball cap was about a minute back off me in second and Laura was third in 44:xx.

Very tough conditions today. I'm happy to have won and my time is good enough. 10 seconds slower than my pb. I think I can better that in Dundrum in a few weeks though :D

Well done Kate, great stuff again. Conditions are horrible today so no doubt you'll better that time on a better day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Well done :D Think we may have ended up with a similar time today, conditions weren't great so good going :)
    Deadly report, you are racing really well, mentally and physically!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Well done - again - K. How are the glands?

Btw is it just me or, now that you've finally moved to TDAR, is your log becoming mostly about running, compared to the end of the AR log that was all about swimming, cycling and orienteering? Identity crisis?

Well done Kate, great stuff again. Conditions are horrible today so no doubt you'll better that time on a better day.

Thanks Barry. Once you do your best that's all you can do and the times will look after themselves :)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Well done :D Think we may have ended up with a similar time today, conditions weren't great so good going :)
    Deadly report, you are racing really well, mentally and physically!

Cheers. I think that's the worst weather I've done a road race in! Hope you had a good race anyway and a good day :) How's the jet lag?

Well done - again - K. How are the glands?

Btw is it just me or, now that you've finally moved to TDAR, is your log becoming mostly about running, compared to the end of the AR log that was all about swimming, cycling and orienteering? Identity crisis?
    Hey it's not my fault I don't fit in. Anywhere.

:D

The glands are perfect thanks. It was just a 24hr thing. Resting heart rate 44 this morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey no worries my May stats are too embarrassing to even log. 2 months as Sean says, tick tock...

Oh and well done on another win, gotta be the most successful log around here. Between you and Zico anyway..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Congrats on another win CM, yourself and Mireya are cleaning up between the two of ye :) Nice report too :)

I make the same apologies to the boys every month about the low milage on the bike :) Must be a girl thing :)

Hey no worries my May stats are too embarrassing to even log. 2 months as Sean says, tick tock...

Oh and well done on another win, gotta be the most successful log around here. Between you and Zico anyway..:D
    Oh well once you're willing and able to suffer that's the main thing in the Beast :D

Eh Zico and I ..... different levels altogether. He's like premier league, I'm division 4 ;)
    Neady83 wrote: »
    Congrats on another win CM, yourself and Mireya are cleaning up between the two of ye :) Nice report too :)

I make the same apologies to the boys every month about the low milage on the bike :) Must be a girl thing :)

Maybe the boys just like riding their bikes more!

Tuesday:

Cross training - Tree climbing:

There was a massive tabby cat chasing my cat around the yard this morning. I thought we saw him off but when I got home from work my cat was stuck up a tree. So I had to help him down cause it was windy and he was frightened :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Congrats on another first on Monday, CM!!! and great time too in those conditions. Love how you tackle these races, you're really smart about it.

...but I want to know, what happened to Eileen?

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    Congrats on another first on Monday, CM!!! and great time too in those conditions. Love how you tackle these races, you're really smart about it.

...but I want to know, what happened to Eileen?

Thanks Anna :D

Well I didn't meet Eileen after but I checked the results and it looks like she just jogged around with her husband cause there's an Eileen and Ronan listed with the same time. Pfft spoilsport, ruining my games :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I've picked up the odd podium position here and there, but it's nothing like the success CM is having. She's winning every race she enters.

zico10 wrote: »
    I've picked up the odd podium position here and there, but it's nothing like the success CM is having. She's winning every race she enters.
    They're only small local races though ;)

Tuesday:

Bike: 20min

To the shop and back for a Mars bar :)

Wednesday:

Nothing. DOMS everywhere

Thursday:

Run: 5k recovery. Stll a bit of DOMS in my left glute.

Bike: 30min including a stop at the siopa for jellies and Maltesers :)

They're only small local races though ;)

All the greats start somewhere, dont belittle your achievements.

All the greats start somewhere, dont belittle your achievements.

I'm not. I'm just putting them in perspective :D

I'm not. I'm just putting them in perspective :D

Let me help you. I don't see anyone else around here winning races, of any size or importance, on a regular basis. Some of us can't even beat ourselves.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Let me help you. I don't see anyone else around here winning races, of any size or importance, on a regular basis. Some of us can't even beat ourselves.... :(

Not true!

You beat me in Rathnure.

pointer28 wrote: »
    Not true!

You beat me in Rathnure.

What I meant was that I can't even beat myself. In the Enniscorthy 10k I passed 9k at my 10k pb. 10% slower than I used to be. CM on the other hand is winning races left, right and centre.

• Advertisement

What I meant was that I can't even beat myself. In the Enniscorthy 10k I passed 9k at my 10k pb. 10% slower than I used to be. CM on the other hand is winning races left, right and centre.
    Training makes all the difference :p

Advertisement