Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of the frying pan, into the .... fish pond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Friday:

Swim: 2k

200sw, 200pb, 200k
    6 x (50 drill, 50 sw)
    200k, 200pb, 200sw
    200 backstroke

There's a lovely English lady who I sometimes meet in the pool. She used to swim competitively when she was younger and today I discovered she also has horses and she used to run. Her 10k pb is 36:xx. Anyway I was telling her about the pain in my forearm and she watched me swim after she had finished. My right hand entry is crap. I'm basically entering the water palm first. Delighted to know what the problem is but frustrated because the lads who did the video analysis told me I was doing that and I thought I'd fixed it :( I need to raise my elbow more and concentrate really hard on a fingertip entry.

Run 1: 100m

Abandoned the run because my heel was sore. Not bad but not good either

Bike: 37.3k

I'm much stronger on the bike this year. It's amazing what a difference it makes having two properly functioning hips!!!!

Run 2: Jumped off the bike and the heel felt a bit better so I chanced a 2k run. Felt good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Training makes all the difference :p

So I found out.... :/

Saturday:

Run: 10k easy

Sod's Law - as soon as I mentioned I had two fully functioning hips It would have to start playing up again. I swore it wasn't the bike that injured me last year but now I think it might have been. My left hip was very sore last night. But that's ok I thought because it was the right one that was injured. Wasn't it? I checked and no it was the left one. Fook Fook Fook Fook Fook. I know I've been racing a lot but I've been resting a lot too :( I wouldn't have run today, I didn't even want to run today, but I'd arranged to meet Susan and I would have felt bad cancelling. Anyway I knew she was at a wedding yesterday and would be at least slightly hungover so it would be nice and slow. I got through the run with no problems but I'm going to have to take another very easy week next week and rethink my plans :(

I wonder does bike fitting apply as much to glorified bmxs, sorry mountain bikes (:P). On proper, sorry road bikes you can get properly injured by not having a bike set up correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

There is no justice, hope its not as bad as last time Kate.

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    I wonder does bike fitting apply as much to glorified bmxs, sorry mountain bikes (:P). On proper, sorry road bikes you can get properly injured by not having a bike set up correctly.

Hmmm you could well have a point Batman :D Thanks I'll look into it!

tang1 wrote: »
    There is no justice, hope its not as bad as last time Kate.

Thanks Barry. It won't be as bad as the last time because I won't keep going on it for weeks if its wrong. And at least this time I can swim ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Just catching up here. Congrats on the wins. Sorry to hear about the hip, hope it's nothing serious and you can nip it in the bud as you say. +1 on the bike fitting, I know my local shop does it and if you suspect in any way it's causing the injury or making it worse it could definitely be worth checking out around you.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Just catching up here. Congrats on the wins. Sorry to hear about the hip, hope it's nothing serious and you can nip it in the bud as you say. +1 on the bike fitting, I know my local shop does it and if you suspect in any way it's causing the injury or making it worse it could definitely be worth checking out around you.
    Thanks Laura. I'm going to go to the bike shop tomorrow :)

Sunday:

Swim: 2.1k

200 warm up
    2 x (50k, 50sw)
    5 x (100 drill, 100 sw)
    200 k
    300 sw
    200 backstroke

This was hard work. I really tried to have a high elbow and a good hand entry on every stroke and it took a bit of effort. I stopped at the wall a few times to recover and one time the woman in the next lane started telling me all about her veruccas :eek: That made me want to not stop at the wall anymore. Every cloud ...

Weekly totals:
    Run: 18.25m
    Swim: 4.1k
    Bike: 51.5k
    Core: 40min

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Sorry to hear about your hip, I hope it's the bike fit and it's easily rectifiable :) That reminds me, I haven't been fitted for either bike , might get that done too

Neady83 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your hip, I hope it's the bike fit and it's easily rectifiable :) That reminds me, I haven't been fitted for either bike , might get that done too
    Thanks :) I dropped in to the bike shop this morning and they had a good look at my saddle position. They dropped the saddle height about 0.5cm because my hips looked a teeny weeny bit unstable but the main problems are 1) I've been overdoing the racing - 4 races in a month = too much stress and too little recovery and 2) the mountain bike is for the mountains and being in the same position for a long time on the roads results in an abnormal stress on the lower back and hips. So I'm banned from racing until after the Beast. No running this week to let the inflammation resolve but hopefully I start back again next week. And I need to buy me a road bike when I go back to collect my bike :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Saddle drop, rest from races.. sounds like sense to me ;):P

Monday:

Swim: 3.45k

200sw, 200pb, 200k
    50 BE 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,7,6,5,4,3,2
    200, 300, 400, 300, 200 - all with pb alternating 50 BE 3 w 50 BE 5
    200k, 200sw, 200pb
    200 backstroke

I was working very early this morning and I was finished at 9 so perfect for a long swim session. It took me two hours to do this. I think my hand entry was better today :D

I've been overdoing the racing - 4 races in a month = too much stress and too little recovery

and all podium finishes :)

Me likey road biking, me no likey mountain biking. Will you do much mountain biking before the Beast?

Had you done much before it last year? and was it really tough with the amount of training you had done on the bike?

and all podium finishes :)

Me likey road biking, me no likey mountain biking. Will you do much mountain biking before the Beast?

Had you done much before it last year? and was it really tough with the amount of training you had done on the bike?

Oh I'm the complete opposite ... me only likey mountain biking!!!
    Ya we'll do at least a couple of long sessions on the bikes in the mountains. I think it's good to get the quads used to it!!
    Last year I'd done maybe 4 or 5 sessions on the trails and the training day we did in Clare:

Saturday:

A.M: 2m rec @ 10:30

Legs were knackered after the 50k cycling yesterday. No major tightness though so happy enough. In animal news ..... the baby peregrine falcons are learning how to fly and the cows have started calving. They woke me up at 6 am today they were making such a racket in the field outside my window. The cows are black Aberdeen Angus' and the bull they were with last year was a Belted Galloway which is black with a big white belt around it. So the calves are a cross and I think some of the mothers were a bit surprised when this little black and white thing popped out.

P.M: Ballyhoura trails ~30k in 3 hours

Met up with Mike and Sean for this in the evening. We did the 3 training loops while we were waiting for Warren. He said he got lost but I think he just got cold feet about meeting up with three random punters up the mountains. Then we headed up the brown loop. I found the mountain biking quite difficult this evening mostly because it was wet and the ground was slippy but also I think I was a bit tired because I was up at half four to work horses this morning. I found it hard to concentrate and my balance was crap. Fell over a few times and then on one of the descents near the end I hit a rock or something and my feet flew off the pedals. I lost control of the bike and then I hit a big tree stump and got buried. Managed to avoid two heaps of rocks and land in the heather. Luckily Sean was behind me to witness my spectacular flying descent or all I'd have to show for it was a banjaxed wheel and two bruised knees. Made it back to the car but my bike suffered a grievous injury to it's front wheel :(

b3v493_th.jpg

Sunday: Beast team bonding session

Up at half four and out to Killaloe for an intensive day of biking and kayaking. As well as feeding us at midnight, putting up with our dirty bikes and clothes and giving us somewhere to sleep Mike's lovely wife was also kind enough to lend me her mountain bike.

1st section: ~33k
    Bike to the summit of Moylussa, the highest point in Clare. We ditched our bikes and hiked up the last bit. Found the boulder we were looking for and the from our vantage point we could see the summit of the next mountain another 30k away. It was a bit overcast so the picture isn't great but the view was fab. Then we whizzed down the fireroad and on to our next peak

wvv4i1_th.jpg

2nd section: ~ 30k

We headed across the bridge from Killaloe to Ballina in search of 'The graves of the Leinster Men' The ascent up Tountinna was painfully steep in places and I got off my bike and walked several times usually when my quads were sore. Then I walked until my calves were sore. Then back on my bike again. The view was incredible at the top and so expansive that it was impossible to capture it in one image with my phone.

x4r6dk_th.jpg

The graves turned out to be further down near the road so we didn't have time to get to them because we had to be back for our kayak lesson. We bumped into PaulieYifter on the way down. He was nearly up at the top and looked like he'd barely broken into a sweat! I got a puncture on the way down which Sean kindly sorted for me in 4 minutes. Legs were feeling it at this stage after 5 hours biking.

Section 3:

2hr kayak lesson. Very useful and we picked up some great tips. Keep hands relaxed, right hand rotates the paddle, spread your hands out wide on the paddle, rotate your core instead of using your arms to paddle, don't drag the paddle back behind the level of your hips, paddle at a steady pace and let the boat float :D

I found the bike in the Beast grand. It's lovely to get on your bike when you've been trekking or kayaking for hours :D

Thank you :) We've a few more MTBing sessions planned for before the Beast so hopefully that'll get me MTB fitish.

I found the same on the C2C, delighted to kayak after biking for hours, the got burned from kayaking and was delighted to get back on the bike again until I got burned of it again :D The Beast is gonna be three whole days of that :eek: :eek:

Thank you :) We've a few more MTBing sessions planned for before the Beast so hopefully that'll get me MTB fitish.

I found the same on the C2C, delighted to kayak after biking for hours, the got burned from kayaking and was delighted to get back on the bike again until I got burned of it again :DThe Beast is gonna be three whole days of that :eek: :eek:

I know! It just struck me today that 3 days is a long time. I've been asleep for 30 of the last 72 hours and I can't for the life of me remember what I did on Friday. My race report is going to be shocking :cool:

Tuesday:

5 min planks + 20 min core

Wednesday:

Swim: 2.2k

200sw, 200pb, 200k
    2 x (50ft, 50st)
    100 MAX in 2:01 :(
    200pb
    2 x (50ft, 50st)
    100 MAX in 2:01 :(:(
    400pb
    200 steady
    200 backstroke

I picked up my bike from the shop. They shortened the chain by a couple of links and changed the cable on the rear derailler to make it a bit longer and they're going to get me a road bike :D I like bike shopping :D

...they're going to get me a road bike :D

1) Learn to swim and become good at it - check
    2) Move log to TDAR - check
    3) Buy proper road bike & enjoy the experience - check
    4) Pre enter Galway full distance triathlon - ???

• Advertisement

1) Learn to swim and become good adequate at it- check
    2) Move log to TDAR - check
    3) Buy proper road bike & enjoy the experience retail therapy - check
    4) Pre enter Galway full distance triathlon - no chance
    FYP

10 more years and your work here will be almost done ;)

FYP

10 more years and your work here will be almost done ;)

:P Stage 1: denial....

Thursday:

Core: 10 pull ups

I meant to do way more than this but I went for a little half hour snooze in the afternoon and half an hour turned into 4 hours and then after I'd had my dinner it was time to go to bed again :D

Friday:

Swim: 2.2k

200 easy
    200 kick
    1600 in 38:11
    200 easy

I swam a mile this morning :D:D I thought it would be a small bit faster but it leaves plenty of room for improvement anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I wish I could run/swim/sleep as well as you!!!

hope the hip is better now... when is 'the beast'? I'm afraid to show my ignorance by asking what it is... off to check google now...

annapr wrote: »
    I wish I could run/swim/sleep as well as you!!!

hope the hip is better now... when is 'the beast'? I'm afraid to show my ignorance by asking what it is... off to check google now...

Thanks but no one with kids can possibly sleep like I do ;)

The Beast starts in seven weeks on a Thursday evening when we are taken by bus to an unknown location. We're given maps and various control points to locate. Some of them we'll hike to, some will be on the bikes and some will be in the kayaks. There's also some that have special tasks associated with them like canyoning or rope work or orienteering. We have 72hours to find all the control points and get back to the finish. Simples :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Thanks but no one with kids can possibly sleep like I do ;)

The Beast starts in seven weeks on a Thursday evening when we are taken by bus to an unknown location. We're given maps and various control points to locate. Some of them we'll hike to, some will be on the bikes and some will be in the kayaks. There's also some that have special tasks associated with them like canyoning or rope work or orienteering. We have 72hours to find all the control points and get back to the finish. Simples :D

way cool... although I haven't seen you log any kayaking... everything else you will nail :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

annapr wrote: »
    way cool... although I haven't seen you log any kayaking... everything else you will nail :)

Nail the whole fecking lot she will. Us lads killing ourselves trying to keep up!! :)

At least I can play the old man card the other lads have no excuse :D

Saturday/Sunday:

Triharder 'almost a team' training.

Section 1: Bike ~ 6hrs, 70k

Picked up Mike Saturday evening and headed to the UL activity centre to meet Sean. We set off into the nearby hills around 9pm. I'm not sure where we went. It's really just a blur of hills, more hills and steeper hills. I think Sean said we did around 1700m in elevation over the 6 hours. I know we were on the keeper challenge route a couple of times and I have an uncomfortable recollection of cycling up the Silvermines. I had to get off my bike and walk a couple of times it was SOOOOOO steep. For munchies I had a few Jaffa cakes before we left, 4 nature valley bars and some nuts and an apple thingy that Mike gave me on the way back into Ballina cause I was flagging. Total calories ~ 270 + 690 + 650 + 90 = 1700

T1 ~ 30min
    More food and changed out of my smelly base layers. Feet ok, shoulders sore from the backpack. More jaffa cakes, more nuts, a breakfast bar thingy made from porridge oats ~ 200 + 300 + 230 = 730

Section 2: Hiking ~ 24k, 6 hours

Started off up Moylussa at 3:30 on the same route as last years Beast. We had the headlamps on that Sean got us from Silva. Very comfortable and bright although daylight broke around 4 ish so we didn't need them for too long. I think it took us about an hour to get to the summit of Moylussa. We headed over then to visit the Bonus points that we (thankfully) skipped last year. Oh my freaking God those bonus points are hard work!!!! After an age and really difficult boggy terrain we got to where B3 would have been. My right ankle was a bit sore here. Then we descended off a steep gorse covered cliff to get down to the trail road to B4 and B5. I struggled a bit going down this. I stepped into a bog pond shortly after B3 and my feet were saturated. My quads were burning from the bike and my left knee was quite uncomfortable. We were about halfway down when Sean discovered that he'd lost his phone. And it was on silent. He climbed back up again to look for it but I'd say you'd have more chance of finding a needle in a haystack. It probably fell into a bog hole and it'll be found in a few centuries by some visiting Martians ;) I had a nice little sit down while we were waiting and when we started off again I found it easier to descend backwards over the really steep stuff. After what seemed like an eternity we got back onto solid ground and headed up on the long trek to B4 and B5. My knee was more comfortable on the level ground and going uphill. We came back down after those bonus points and then we went back up again to get M11 and then I think we came back down again and went to the lake to get M12 that we missed last year.
    4 NV bars + nuts + half a pack of wine gums ~ 690 + 650 + 160 = 1400

T3 ~ 30 min
    Got the kayaks ready. Don't remember eating anything.

Section 3: Kayak ~ 10k 2 hours
    I like the kayak. For about the first half an hour and then it becomes a chore. It takes forever for the little dots in the horizon to become big dots. Even when you're going in the right direction :rolleyes: The water was pretty choppy too. 10k is a long long long long way in the kayak. Good to get it done but we were all knackered at the end of it so an executive decision was made to bank a good training session and not bother with the 2hour bike Mike had planned for us up Tountinna :D

The worst part of this was the drive home. I was feeling a bit sleepy leaving Limerick so I stopped and bought a bottle of Coke and some jellies. The massive sugar high got me as far as Roscrea but the last 10 miles were awful. I had to keep slapping myself in the face to keep awake. Not to be attempted again!

Damage report:
    I slept for 3 hours when I got home and I was feeling surprisingly perky when I woke up. Quads are a bit mashed but nothing too bad. Knee and ankle seem fine. Feet are good. Right forearm is sore. I had a bit of a headache and my tummy was a bit iffy but I think that was from the sugar high. Coke is vile! The bike is in good condition. Normally it needs a service after a heavy training session in the mountains but not this time :)

So that was about 14hours done. Just five and a bit more of those in 6 weeks. Should be easy, fun interesting :eek:

Glad I didn't call you when I was in the area on Saturday - thought I remembered Sean mentioning this alright. Good work.

How's the hip since the saddle adjustment?

• Advertisement

Glad I didn't call you when I was in the area on Saturday - thought I remembered Sean mentioning this alright. Good work.

How's the hip since the saddle adjustment?

Thanks. No you wouldn't have had much joy on Saturday :)

No bother from the hip today anyway. I might chance a 30min run on Thursday.

Advertisement