Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of the frying pan, into the .... fish pond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Holy cow, that's some training session... the 10k in the kayak -- river? lake?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

annapr wrote: »
    Holy cow, that's some training session... the 10k in the kayak -- river? lake?

:D Lake. Lough Derg. We had a swim planned as well but we were too cold after the kayak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Wow, great training CM, it's so tough doing that through the night. Great confidence booster to stay up, stay going and stay awake for that length of time :)

So given that the training ye did last year was the first leg of the Beast, should we go and cover that section? ;) just in case

Neady83 wrote: »
    Wow, great training CM, it's so tough doing that through the night. Great confidence booster to stay up, stay going and stay awake for that length of time :)

So given that the training ye did last year was the first leg of the Beast, should we go and cover that section? ;) just in case

Cheers :) I don't know about confidence booster! Think it might have been more of a reality check :eek: :D
    I'd say you'd be safe enough giving it a miss - Ivan has a few more counties to play with ;) Lord if I have to climb up Moylussa one more time ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Lord if I have to climb up Moylussa one more time ....

Might organise a rescue party for my phone....you in? :D

• Advertisement

AKW wrote: »
    Might organise a rescue party for my phone....you in? :D

Your phone is gone dude :D

Think of it as a sacrifice to the Beast :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Your phone is gone dude :D

Think of it as a sacrifice to the Beast :D

It was bright yellow. No doubt lying in some nest now with #little #chicklings #pecking at it and #constant #tweeting.

So pretty much same as Sean was doing with it :D

Monday:

Rest. Well I rode out 5 horses but I don't really count that as exercise because I've been doing it all my life. It might count as active recovery though! Felt very good this morning. No aches or pains to worry about.

Tuesday:

Swim: 1.6k
    200 easy
    400 kick ( 4 x 50 front/back, 4 x 50 side)
    100 sw
    100 ft
    50 sw
    100 st
    50 sw
    50 catch up
    50 sw
    100 puppy paddle
    2 x (25 doggy paddle, 25sw)
    200 easy
    100 backstroke

This week is all about recovery but I had to leave my van into the garage and I left all my swim toys in it :( So no pull bouy. I love my pull bouy. Small bit of seperation anxiety but I managed to get a decent swim done :) Arm is good and I felt like was swimming well.

What you experienced is nothing like the separation anxiety I've been through the last 2 days!!

I've been expecting a call from the CEO of Twitter to see if I'm still alive.

Hahaha :D

I was thinking of you alright as I typed that ;)

• Advertisement

Beast - gear

My Orca booties for the kayak sections came yesterday. Pity I didn't have them for the weekend but I tried them on and they're like slippers. Shoes and socks get way too waterlogged plus I'm trying to think of ways to prevent my body temperature dropping too low. When we'd finished the kayak on Sunday I was frozen and it was sunny and warm.

I've three pairs of Sealskinz socks on their way. A thin pair for the bike cause my feet were cold on Saturday and slightly heavier pairs for hiking. I got another pair of gloves for the kayak as well because I don't want my bike gloves getting saturated.

I got another base layer so I'll have three once I find the one my sister gave me. Depending on the weather forecast I might need another layer to go under my waterproof jacket

Beast - nutrition:

I need to bring electrolytes with me. I have them but I just need to bring them. I had a massive bag of salted nuts so I thought I wouldn't need them but I think I do. Especially if it's warm.

I don't think I had quite enough calories at the weekend. I had a big bag of Granola for the Beast last year that I was able to keep tucking into so I'll do that again and I ordered a 24 hour ration pack from extreme adventures containing:
    1 x beef shepherds pie 800kcal
    1 x gel
    1 x sports bar
    1 clif bar
    1 x clif shot bloks
    1 x porridge and maple syrup 800kcal
    1 x hot chocolate
    1 x electolyte drink

It could be a waste of time because you need hot water to reconstitute the 800kcal stuff but at the transition point last year before the river kayak there was hot water so I might be able to use them.

I bought some peanut cookies on my way home from the swim. They are very good! Not too sweet but nice and crunchy and lots of protein (12g/100g)

Wednesday:

Nought. Was a tiredy girl.

Thursday:

Swim: 1.6k
    200 easy
    100 kick
    400 max in 9:15
    200 drills
    200 easy
    200 max in 4:23
    200 easy
    100 backstroke

I wanted to calculate my CSS/threshold speed because I want to do the pink mist set next week. Times are slow. Who would have thought it was possible for me to get slower? I think I'm probably still tired from the weekend but there's no point making excuses. I am where I am. That gives a CSS of 2:26/100m. I'll work with that for a couple of weeks and then test it again. Decided against going for a run because my hip feels a bit unstable and there's not a whole pile to be gained :(:(:(

Friday:

Bike: 60k

18.5 k on the MTB to collect my van
    41.5 k on the road bike to check out the road bike :D

25fkqz4.jpg

Cat caught a bird yesterday. He was trying to bring it in to the house to give it to me. He's such a little devil :)

2qcp0tl.jpg

I found it's head outside the back door this morning :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Nice one - big difference from the bmx over that distance I bet. Did you get it set up properly to suit you? How was the hip on the spin?

Btw the cat wasn't showing you what he caught - it was a sign of what he'll do to you if you're not nice. Just so you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

That's a lovely bike. My landladies daughter just bought one last week and I had a good look at it while showing her how to change a tube and a few other bits. I was really impressed and it put Lapierre way up my want list.

Nicer than my bike, but everybody seems to have a nicer bike than me at this stage :-(

BTW, you're selling yourself short. 18.5 + 41.5 = 60 kms not 50 kms.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Nice one - big difference from the bmx over that distance I bet. Did you get it set up properly to suit you? How was the hip on the spin?

Btw the cat wasn't showing you what he caught - it was a sign of what he'll do to you if you're not nice. Just so you know.

Thanks. Yes so much faster and easier even in the wind. The guys in the shop were great. They spent ages getting me fitted and all sorted out. I love my bike shop! My hip was very good. I forgot to put my bike shorts on though so my ass was not happy. At all

The cat loves me :p

pointer28 wrote: »
    That's a lovely bike. My landladies daughter just bought one last week and I had a good look at it while showing her how to change a tube and a few other bits. I was really impressed and it put Lapierre way up my want list.

Nicer than my bike, but everybody seems to have a nicer bike than me at this stage :-(

BTW, you're selling yourself short. 18.5 + 41.5 = 60 kms not 50 kms.
    Well I don't know much about bikes but I trust the guys in the shop and they reckoned it was a good choice :)

Aw poor you :p

Yay free 10k. Sweet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Oh i like, i like a lot, in fact I love. Well wear, it's very pretty. So after one spin on it, how's mountain biking comparing to road biking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

You might get away with that picture in the Athletics forum but it certainly wont cut the mustard over here. The picture needs to be far bigger - with the drive train on show so we can nod approvingly at the chainset and rear derailleur specifications.

Make sure the chain is on the big ring and the valves are on show and not blocked by the forks - also the brand of the water bottles should be facing towards the picture so they can be read

Some close up shots are always appreciated of the brakes and handlebar set up and dont forget the customary form behind shot to make us all see how aero your bike is

Neady83 wrote: »
    Oh i like, i like a lot, in fact I love. Well wear, it's very pretty. So after one spin on it, how's mountain biking comparing to road biking?

The saddle on the mountain bike is a lot more forgiving ;)

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    You might get away with that picture in the Athletics forum but it certainly wont cut the mustard over here. The picture needs to be far bigger - with the drive train on show so we can nod approvingly at the chainset and rear derailleur specifications.

Make sure the chain is on the big ring and the valves are on show and not blocked by the forks - also the brand of the water bottles should be facing towards the picture so they can be read

Some close up shots are always appreciated of the brakes and handlebar set up and dont forget the customary form behind shot to make us all see how aero your bike is

Ah here you got a picture of a cat. What more do you want :(

1) Cats are evil bar stewards, fact!

2) Fancy a guided tour of the Blooms some day? I try and get up there a couple of times a month.

3) Welcome to a whole new way to spend money, lots and lots of money! Has anyone mentioned that you'll need to upgrade the wheels, and some expensive tyres will make you faster, you need latex tubes, you're helmet isn't aero enough, white bar tape will be filthy in a week, those bottle cages aren't carbon, you need at least 2/3 pairs of bib shorts, long sleeve jerseys, short sleeve jerseys, arm warmers, leg warmers, summer gloves, winter gloves, over shoes, a gilet, rain cape, winter jacket, Strava premium account, Garmin 810, not to mention a power meter and proper bike shoes plus pedals and cleats................

4) I'm sure I've forgotten plenty.

5) I'm a teasy fecker and my Wiggle wishlist is about €4000.

catweazle wrote: »

Hahaha! When your bike comes back I'm going to quiz you and get you to identify all these parts on your own bike ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Pretty bike :)
    My first road bike was a lapierre, I still have it actually...frame is in bits but he's still going :)

Pretty bike :)
    My first road bike was a lapierre, I still have it actually...frame is in bits but he's still going :)

Mine too. We've all good taste :)

1) Cats are evil bar stewards, fact!

2) Fancy a guided tour of the Blooms some day? I try and get up there a couple of times a month.

3) Welcome to a whole new way to spend money, lots and lots of money! Has anyone mentioned that you'll need to upgrade the wheels, and some expensive tyres will make you faster, you need latex tubes, you're helmet isn't aero enough, white bar tape will be filthy in a week, those bottle cages aren't carbon, you need at least 2/3 pairs of bib shorts, long sleeve jerseys, short sleeve jerseys, arm warmers, leg warmers, summer gloves, winter gloves, over shoes, a gilet, rain cape, winter jacket, Strava premium account, Garmin 810, not to mention a power meter and proper bike shoes plus pedals and cleats................

4) I'm sure I've forgotten plenty.

5) I'm a teasy fecker and my Wiggle wishlist is about €4000.

People are more evil than cats ;)

I would love love love a guided tour of the Blooms. Thank you :D

Hmmm I think I might be too much of a minimalist to be a triathlete :eek:

Any time! Wednesdays and Thursdays usually suit best.

Saturday:

Swim: 3.6k
    200 sw
    400 pb
    600 sw
    800 pb
    600 sw
    400 pb
    200 sw
    400 backstroke

Nearly didn't bother doing anything today. Still feeling a bit weary from last weekend but the lure of the pull bouy was too much and once I got started it was fine. I had the lane mostly to myself which helped :)

Any time! Wednesdays and Thursdays usually suit best.
    Great. I normally don't work on a Thursday so that suits perfectly :D

• Advertisement

Sunday:

Core: 7min of plank climbers

These are evil. You start in a normal plank position and then you keep alternating between that and up into a press up position. The sweat was pouring off me and I was too lazy to go down and get my mat so I have carpet burn on my forearms.

Bike: 50.6k

It was quite windy in places but at least that meant that it wasn't too warm and I only needed a couple of sips of water on the way around. I was going to go for a little run but I might leave it now till tomorrow because my legs are a bit tired.

Advertisement