Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of the frying pan, into the .... fish pond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Monday:

Run: 2k

Core: 40min

My upper abs were a bit sore today after the planks yesterday. It hurt to sneeze! It's funny how just 5 minutes of exercises can strain muscles that you don't use very often. I was going to run for 20min but then I thought 2k/11min was enough and I did a good core session when I got back. Abs felt better afterwards and no bother from my hip :) I should make more of an effort to do the core routinely because it does seem to help me and I noticed tightness in my quads that I didnt realise was there.

Tuesday:

Run: 4k

Core: 30 min

Ran for 22 min today. I think I should keep it around this time/distance for a few days before I increase again. I've entered the Athlone HM on Sept 12 but I think I'll either skip it or do it at easy pace and try to be ready for a 10k a couple of weeks later. I did a good core session but I've been so lazy today. I was supposed to go swimming but I slept instead. Payback tomorrow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Mullingar 10 gone by the wayside?

tang1 wrote: »
    Mullingar 10 gone by the wayside?

Em ya unfortunately. That's only just over 3 weeks isn't it? I'll never be up to running 10miles by then. 24hr Rogaine this weekend and it's taking me a bit to recover from these very long training sessions.

Em ya unfortunately. That's only just over 3 weeks isn't it? I'll never be up to running 10miles by then. 24hr Rogaine this weekend and it's taking me a bit to recover from these very long training sessions.

Thats a shame, yeah its just over 3 weeks away. Not racing it either myself, will use it as a session instead.

• Advertisement

Thats a shame, yeah its just over 3 weeks away. Not racing it either myself, will use it as a session instead.

The joys of having dodgy hips :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

24hr Rogaine.

You're not losing your locks are you? Think that might be better suited to tang!:)

You're not losing your locks are you? Think that might be better suited to tang!:)

Not worth a damn so its not!

Funny you should ask! I am losing my locks but it's by choice. I'm getting it cut up short short short tomorrow :D
    Not worth a damn so its not!
    You should sue for false advertising :D

Wednesday:

Bike: 45k

Met pointer in Kinnity and we headed off into the Slieve Blooms for a nice little cycle this afternoon. Compared to the Silvermines this was a breeze. Although the hills were long they were quite gentle and the downhills were lovely. I love my new bike on the downhills :D I probably could have done with some food though. On the last long uphill I was flagging a bit. I had planned to go for a swim after but my steak was calling me. The cat came running up to the back door with a dead mouse in his mouth this morning. My shoes were outside the back door. D'ont drop it in my shoes cat. Thankfully he dropped it in between my shoes and then the hen picked it up and ran off with it. The cat's afraid of the hen :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Funny you should ask! I am losing my locks but it's by choice. I'm getting it cut up short short short tomorrow :D

Are you donating it to The Rapunzel Foundation (I'm not messing for once)?

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Are you donating it to The Rapunzel Foundation (I'm not messing for once)?

No :( I didn't know about it and now there's not that much left to donate :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

No :( I didn't know about it and now there's not that much left to donate :eek:

Ah well x2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Wednesday:

Bike: 45k

Met pointer in Kinnity and we headed off into the Slieve Blooms for a nice little cycle this afternoon. Compared to the Silvermines this was a breeze. Although the hills were long they were quite gentle and the downhills were lovely. I love my new bike on the downhills :D I probably could have done with some food though. On the last long uphill I was flagging a bit. I had planned to go for a swim after but my steak was calling me. The cat came running up to the back door with a dead mouse in his mouth this morning. My shoes were outside the back door. D'ont drop it in my shoes cat. Thankfully he dropped it in between my shoes and then the hen picked it up and ran off with it. The cat's afraid of the hen :)

that sounds like some sort of warped nursery rhyme...

annapr wrote: »
    that sounds like some sort of warped nursery rhyme...

The cat, he caught a mouse
    He tried to bring it in the house.
    The hen, she saw red
    She took the dead
    She turned on her heel
    And then she had a nice meal

The cat, he caught a mouse
    He tried to bring it in the house.
    The hen, she saw red
    She took the dead
    She turned on her heel
    And then she had a nice meal

haha brilliant :pac: :pac:

seriously, do hens eat dead animals.... :eek:

annapr wrote: »
    haha brilliant :pac: :pac:

seriously, do hens eat dead animals.... :eek:

Ya she loves a bit of fresh meat!

Although she's also partial to the old Jaffa cakes ;)

Ya she loves a bit of fresh meat!

Although she's also partial to the old Jaffa cakes ;)

this is a very educational log!

Thursday:

Run: 23min

Bit tired this morning. Had to drag myself from my bed to get this done before work.

Swim: 2.05k

200 easy
    400 pb
    400 kick/drills
    10 x 100 @ CSS as
    4 x 100 - 2:23, 2:25, 2:22, 2:23
    3 x 100 - 2:20, 2:23, 2:23
    2 x 100 - 2:21, 2:23
    100 - 2:23
    (12s rec between reps, 35 sec between sets)
    50 backstroke

Enjoyed this. My arm was getting a little sore towards the end. I like CSS pace :D

Core: 25 min

Friday:

Run 1: 24min

Started the day with a nice little jog. The body was a bit creaky starting off and my heel was sore so I dropped back the pace to recovery effort. I felt much better after about 10 minutes and the pace picked up a little so I suppose it was sort of like an invalid's progression run :D

Swim: 1k

Mostly kick and technique stuff. I was going to do another 6 x 200m with the pb but my arm was sore and it was getting a bit worse and there was nothing to be gained by it.

Run 2: 18 min

I slammed the front door behind me when I left for work this afternoon because I'd just brought my bike in from the van and there might be opportunistic burglars around. Unfortunately the van keys were on the kitchen table. And all the door keys were with them :rolleyes: Balls!!!!! I had 15 min to get into work. Approx 7k. All the bikes were locked in the house. There was one window slightly ajar but I'd have to break it to force it open. I started to run. And while I was running I rang one of the guys in work and when he eventually answered his phone, I got him to drive out and pick me up :D So I ended up being about 20 minutes late but it was ok cause the others covered for me :D

Run 3: 15 min

After work, I got a different guy to drop me into Errill on his way home cause I needed to go the post office and then I ran home from there. I would have walked but I had no socks on because I forgot to put on a clean pair when I came home from swimming. So a bit more running than I had planned for today but at least they were short and it's kind of like my long run but broken into three ;)

Bike: 10k

Just spinning out the legs :D

• Advertisement

Saturday/Sunday

Wicklow Rogaine 24hr

Holy crap this was tough. One of the hardest things I've ever done. The hills - up and up and up. The descents - so bloody difficult. The terrain - every second or third step I went over on one or both of my ankles. The holes - I must have fallen into every type of hole there is - rabbit holes, badger holes, little holes, big holes, peat holes. I fell into them all. The heather - I never want to see another strand of heather for at least 12 months. The Art o' Neill way - bleugh. The list goes on. I think I need a holiday .... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Well done for surviving that ! Hope there's a report on the way ?

big holes.

You bumped into TbL up there to!! Sounds tough going, right up your street, well done.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Well done for surviving that ! Hope there's a report on the way ?

Cheers :D

On its way right after I get fed!

You bumped into TbL up there to!! Sounds tough going, right up your street, well done.

Haha TbL doesn't venture over here - he's afraid he'll be corrupted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Thank god I'm not the only one, sweet Jesus, I'll be having nightmares for months. I thought the bog tufts were elephants this morning. It was lovely to finally meet you yesterday :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    Thank god I'm not the only one, sweet Jesus, I'll be having nightmares for months. I thought the bog tufts were elephants this morning. It was lovely to finally meet you yesterday :)

Haha I had a stage where I thought they were deer :) Lovely to meet you too. I passed ye as I was leaving. Ye were just coming into Laragh but it took a few seconds for my brain synapses to work and I was gone by before I recognized ye. Ye looked like I feel :D I see you were leading by example though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

What is it with sleep deprivation and imaginary animals?

I swear on all that's sacred a White Elephant once crossed the motorway in front of me while heading for the ferry at 2am one morning stuffed to the gills with Red Bull and caffeine pills (me, not the Elephant).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Haha I had a stage where I thought they were deer :) Lovely to meet you too. I passed ye as I was leaving. Ye were just coming into Laragh but it took a few seconds for my brain synapses to work and I was gone by before I recognized ye. Ye looked like I feel :D I see you were leading by example though ;)

Ha ha I didn't need a map and a compass for that bit ;) we went down to the PO to dib but the dibber was at the shop, missed it but I don't think it'll loose the race for us ;). My footsies are still in pain, this will take a fair bit of recovery. I went with the trail runners in the end ..... sealskinz are great but they can only keep water, bog, muck and torrential rain out for so long. Hope you've the legs up :) it's well deserved.

• Advertisement

Wicklow Rogaine 24hr

I had all my gear packed and ready to go on Friday evening. Unfortunately I was so preoccupied with not locking myself out of the house on Saturday morning, that I left my sandwiches on the kitchen table :( I also forgot the mini cheeses I found in the supermarket. Annoying because I remember Enduro saying that they were handy and nutritious and I wanted to try them out.

It took me about 2 hours to get to Laragh. I missed the orienteering sign directing us up to the woods, on the way into the village and I had to do a U turn. I arrived to see Sean's van parked up and intimidating Team Arse :D

After a quick race briefing, we were sent off to mark up our maps with the 49 control points which could be collected in any order and ranged in value from 750 to 100 points. Teams could collect as many or as few of these in the time allowed but there was a 100 penalty/minute for teams who arrived back after 2pm on Sunday. The Wicklow mountains are vast and the CP's were well spread out.

We decided to get the two closest to the start first and we set off at a brisk trot. Sadly we set off in the wrong direction :rolleyes: So after a mini detour and a brief foray into the woods we were back on track and heading up a steep climb towards our first CP, with lots of underfoot vegetation to be negotiated. From there we headed back down to the start to get another CP and then back up into the hills.

The rest of the first 10 hours passed in a daze of difficult ascents through knarly heather roots and reed grasses that were almost knee high in places, finding controls and then difficult descents where I seemed to spend most of my time hurrying to catch up with the boys, falling into holes or turning over on my ankles. We did very well with the first 10/11 controls, getting them dibbed before darkness and there were very few mishaps. Warren was navigating well with Mike as his backup and Sean too when his attention could be spared from spotting rival teams, deer and anything else that moved on the hillside :) I was struggling to keep pace with the boys most of the time. The vegetation seemed to sap all the energy from my legs and even on the easier peat ground we were constantly jumping from one level to another or moving to avoid the nasty soft patches. One time I stepped onto a bit that looked solid, only for me to find myself suddenly waist deep in bog. Luckily I was able to grab onto some heather to stop myself sinking further and haul myself to safety.

We had just finished a tricky climb out of a band of pine conifers which left us all with prickly pine needles in awkward places, as the sky began to darken and nightfall set in. A band of misty rain had also swept in and although it was light and somewhat refreshing we wasted no time in putting on the waterproofs. After collecting another couple of CP's with long treks we began to descend and it was early in the morning when we set off for the 3 CP's on the Art o Neill way.

I think Mike said it took 2.5 hrs to collect the first one. It had gotten very dark and we needed to climb through rough ground with lots of heather and big tufts of grass and then cross a wide-ish river to collect the CP. After this things began to go haywire. The wind had picked up and the higher we climbed the more bitter it became, lashing rain into our faces. It was difficult to see (especially for Warren who had forgotten to bring working batteries for his torch) and moving was laborious. There was lots of stopping and map checking and it started to get very cold. I tried to take off my jacket and quickly put on my woolen gilet to add another layer for warmth but I ended up getting soaked even though Sean was a gent and did his best to help me get sorted. The rain was vicious and I never warmed up properly after this. We recced at the Art o Neill memorial and then we needed to climb vertically for at least 300m on our hands and knees. At least it kept us warm! When we had levelled off we mouched about for a while, searching blindly for the CP. The weather was bitter and after about half an hour it was decided to abandon the CP and just get off the fricken mountain.

I can't begin to describe how sickened I was of mountains at this stage and it seemed like the night would go on forever. Warren decided the best way off the mountain was to head due South, using the compass as a reference point. Unfortunately and to my disgust this resulted in us climbing higher and higher with a corresponding deterioration in weather conditions. After about half an hour I began to voice my disapproval for this plan. Nobody seemed to listen :eek: We came to a particularly steep spur and I started to lose the plot. After some deliberation with Warren steadfastly refusing to abandon his ' let's just go South, sure we can't go wrong' plan we eventually turned West and then Southwest and after more falling into holes and rolling over on ankles and one final climb over a knoll, we reached the Holy Grail that was a tarmacadam road!

We followed the fire road for about an hour and it slowly took us back in the direction of Glendalough. My eyes were closing from tiredness and everyone was walking like a cripple. There was one last steep clib before we reached Glendalough and then it was downhill for about 4k to the lower lake. Sean and Warren had a last gasp effort at locating a CP near the lake but it alluded them and Mike and I tried our best not too look too smug from our vantage point on the park bench :D After another 2k walk we reached Laragh and we collected the CP at the post office before we refreshed ourselves with tea and sausage rolls . Then we returned to the finish 4 hours early with our tails between our legs, broken and battered but still on our feet :pac:

A few annoying things from today and a few things that will need to be sorted before the Beast but all in all it was a savage 20hr training session. I think we covered about 65k with over 3000m in elevation. I can hardly move now. It feels like I've run about 10 marathons this weekend and then been rolled over by a combine harvester :D

Advertisement