Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of the frying pan, into the .... fish pond

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Wicklow Rogaine 24hr

warren decided the best way off the mountain was to head due South, using the compass as a reference point. Unfortunately and to my disgust this resulted in us climbing higher and higher with a corresponding deterioration in weather conditions. After about half an hour I began to voice my disapproval for this plan. Nobody seemed to listen :eek: We came to a particularly steep spur and I started to lose the plot. After some deliberation with Warren steadfastly refusing to abandon his ' let's just go South, sure we can't go wrong' plan we eventually turned West and then Southwest and after more falling into holes and rolling over on ankles and one final climb over a knoll, we reached the Holy Grail that was a tarmacadam road!

I must object to this. Warren here. We were bang on target heading south and we ended up exactly where I said we would. At the river. 5 mins from the road.

It wasn't a case of let's just go south. South is the only way to go.

We didn't go west at all. I've been up at art's cross nearly a a dozen times and believe me you won't get off it heading west. It's south.

Problem is the peat hags give the impression of climbing when it's not the case. If you knew the area in day light, it's a case of up and down hags till you pass conavalla.

Personally, I think I did a hell of a job getting the four of us off arts in those awful conditions and bang on where I said we would come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Monday

Swim: 1.2k

The body is a bit fragile today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Sounds like a really tough training session with some very useful team bickering bonding thrown in too! Great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I am in total awe.. that's quite some 'training' session indeed!

annapr wrote: »
    Sounds like a really tough training session with some very useful team bickering bonding thrown in too! Great stuff.

Team bickering bonding is a very important too ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Team bickering bonding is a very important too ;)

absolutely, and better to do it in advance... I imagine you all have to trust each other completely when it comes to the real thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Doesn't seem there was much trust there based on that report in fairness, always going to make a team event more difficult.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Doesn't seem there was much trust there based on that report in fairness, always going to make a team event more difficult.

Really? You can tell that from that report?

I know you're one of warren's buddies from IMRA so although it's touching for you to come on to the tri forum to defend him, I think it's fair to say that your opinion is slightly biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Holy crap that was some outing! I've hiked around those parts in daylight and it's tough going then. Fair play for even getting out of bed on Monday, never mind going for a swim! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Really? You can tell that from that report?

I know you're one of warren's buddies from IMRA so although it's touching for you to come on to the tri forum to defend him, I think it's fair to say that your opinion is slightly biased.

I never defended anyone, just that trying not to look smug when two of your team mates don't find a CP, in a team competition, doesn't read well.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I never defended anyone, just that trying not to look smug when two of your team mates don't find a CP, in a team competition, doesn't read well.

You're right it doesn't read well, especially when you take it out of context. The smugness was not because they didn't find the CP but because we were on the park bench after 19hrs of hill climbing. It was a bad joke.

Tuesday:

Swim: 1.6k

Feeling pretty good today. I think being in the pool yesterday was a help. My ankles are still a bit sore but my quads are good and I was actually able to push off the wall today. It's so nice to go to the pool and be able to swim :D

Wednesday

Rest

Thursday

Core: 35 min

Good session. Got a lot done and my legs are feeling good.

Swim: 2.2k

4 x (200 easy, 300 pb)
    200 backstroke

I'm stuffed with steak and potatoes now. I think I need a Iittle siesta :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Haha TbL doesn't venture over here - he's afraid he'll be corrupted :D

So this is where you have disappeared to, takin up with the arm bands & Lycra wearing brigade, you traitor :)

Have this lot shown you how to attach stabilisers to your bike!

Come back to where the real men hangout, this foray here can only end in tears.

Gotta get out of here as I'm starting to wonder if I've matching shorts to go with my zipper running top!!!

COME BACK MADAME DORA, WE WILL FORGIVE YOU (Obviously you will have to go through a suitable detox program)

TbL

So this is where you have disappeared to, takin up with the arm bands & Lycra wearing brigade, you traitor :)

Have this lot shown you how to attach stabilisers to your bike!

Come back to where the real men hangout, this foray here can only end in tears.

Gotta get out of here as I'm starting to wonder if I've matching shorts to go with my zipper running top!!!

COME BACK MADAME DORA, WE WILL FORGIVE YOU (Obviously you will have to go through a suitable detox program)

TbL

That did made me laugh. Thanks :D

Friday

Rest

Saturday:

Run: 5k in 27:12

5 delicious pain free kilometres. It was worth dragging myself out of bed for it :D

Bike: 65.46k in 2:31

Lovely day for a cycle and I had a nice long one planned until I reached down for my water after about 10k and realised I'd left it on the kitchen table. Stoopid :mad: I figured since it wasn't sunny I could do 2 hours easily enough without water and I adapted my route accordingly. When I got into Templemore I got a bit confused about where I should be going and I ended up going out past the park on the Dunkerrin road instead of out the Roscrea road. I didn't even realise until I saw a sign pointing down a side road to Roscrea. I took that road then because although the other way would have brought me back into Roscrea as well, it would have been a lot longer and I was a bit thirsty. I went by a few shops but I didn't have any money and I thought it was hardly worth the risk to stop at any of the streams I passed. Coming out of Roscrea I spotted another cyclist and I slowly caught up to him. He didn't hear me coming up behind him so he got a bit of a surprise when I said hi :D The last 10k were a bit of a drag. I was very thirsty. I was starting to get that dehydrated headache and my throat was dry and my ass was getting sore so I was very happy to rock up my own driveway!

Sunday:

Core: 30 min

Another good session. I held a plank for 5min and my form was pretty solid throughout. I spent most of the rest of the time focussing on my glutes. My hip is behaving well this week :)

A lot of this week was spent recovering from the Rogaine. It took a few days to get my sleep pattern back to normal and my energy levels were quite low for the week even though I felt functionally normal by Tuesday. I got 3 swims done but the one on Monday was like I was immersed in treacle. I couldn't use my legs much at all and kicking off the wall was beyond me. It did seem to have a positive effect on recovery though. I got a good bike done yesterday and a couple of very good core sessions and I'm delighted that I can run 5k with no ill effects. I'm going to keep the running to 30 - 40 min and every other day for next week and I want to get another good couple of bikes done and 3 swim sessions and we're planning another solid TriHarder training session next weekend. 25 days to the Beast :eek::D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

5min plank :eek: :eek:

..... but also 25 days to the Beast :eek: :eek:

Neady83 wrote: »
    5min plank :eek: :eek:

..... but also 24 days to the Beast :eek: :eek:

FYP ..... it's getting real :D

Monday

Run: 6k

My knees were complaining after the first bit. I think it's from too much pressure on my quads in the Rogaine. Once I slowed it down to recovery pace I was much more comfortable. I did 5 chin ups followed by 5 pull ups when I'd finished. I'll try and build these up over the next 3 weeks. It might help with the rock climbing.

Swim: 2k

Mostly kick and technique stuff. This was nice. I had the lane to myself and I really enjoyed it. I went to the bike shop as well and got clip on shoes and pedals on my bike :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Monday

I went to the bike shop as well and got clip on shoes and pedals on my bike :)

You're much braver than me, it only took me 5 years of owning a road bike to brave the clip in shoes. It also only took me 400km before I didn't clip out quickly enough and fell :o

Neady83 wrote: »
    You're much braver than me, it only took me 5 years of owning a road bike to brave the clip in shoes. It also only took me 400km before I didn't clip out quickly enough and fell :o

I have power straps on the MTB and Ive fallen over with them so I'm fully expecting to fall over with the clips ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I have power straps on the MTB and Ive fallen over with them so I'm fully expecting to fall over with the clips ;)

One of the first times i cycled using clips, i fell off and broke my left index finger, it was bent at 90 degrees from the knuckle. Couldn't stomach putting it back in myself, so cycled the 3 miles or so i had left to get home & let my wife put it back into place. But you'll be fine........

tang1 wrote: »
    One of the first times i cycled using clips, i fell off and broke my left index finger, it was bent at 90 degrees from the knuckle. Couldn't stomach putting it back in myself, so cycled the 3 miles or so i had left to get home & let my wife put it back into place. But you'll be fine........

Ok :eek:

Well thanks for the vote of confidence anyway :D

Tuesday:

Bike: 101.4k in 3:59

Pretty comfortable on this. My left shoulder has been a bit sore on the bike but after about 30k it settled down and I had padded shorts on over padded tights so my ass was fine :D And I remembered my water. I didn't need much except when my mouth got dry. I had to put a bit of a wriggle on in the last 10k to get home within my random 4hr time limit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Nice going K. I'm impressed.

Wednesday

Run: 10k in 57:08

Met up with two of the girls from the club. I was a bit worried about doing 10k cause I haven't run that far for 6 weeks but I thought feck it I'll be grand. My left shoulder was very sore after the bike on Tuesday and I had to take painkillers to sleep but no bother from my legs and I was thrilled with how comfortable I felt on this :D I've joined Moyne AC so I'm now a club runner :D

Thursday

Swim: 1.6k

200 easy
    200 kick
    20 x 50 off 1:15
    200 backstroke

No ill effects from the run yesterday :D but I'm not sleeping great. It was 2am before I got to sleep. Luckily I'm not working today so I could stay in bed till 11:30. Swim went well. Normally on the shorter reps I go too fast and then I need too long to recover. I changed it today so that I was starting every rep after 1:15 no matter how fast or slow I was going and I found it much better. Most of them seemed to be coming in on 1:08 - 1:11 giving me approx 5 secs recovery which was perfect :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck with the club, no doubt it will bring you on leaps & bounds.

Friday

Run: 6k easy

Another good run although my legs felt a little bit tired. I went a new route through the bog. In winter it's usually too wet and muddy to go down. There was a sparrow-hawk on the path in front of me at one point. It had just caught a small rodent and as I ran up it bashed the mouses head off the ground and flew off with it in its talons.

Swim: 2.2k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

And.... David Attenborough hijacks this log.

This place is going to pieces!! :)

Advertisement