Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Phone Watch system

Options
  • 13-05-2015 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I recently had this system installed by Phone Watch

grid-full-smart-security-system.jpg
    Can anyone answer the following..

1. Is it possible to re-program this system for use with a different monitoring company?

2. If so where might I find the make/model/engineer codes for this system?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Sorry but unfortunately you are snookered, no other monitoring center has the receiving equipment that is required for that system and it is very much closed protocol.
    In other words unlike the previous Phonewatch systems, yes we could easily move the monitoring to other monitoring stations it is not technically possible with this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Mod Edit Snip___

your tied to it for the life of your alarm.
    As is our well known saying here "Shop Around"
    There are a few outs.
    How long have you got it in?
    How long of a contract did you sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

pueblo wrote: »
    Hi there,

I recently had this system installed by Phone Watch

grid-full-smart-security-system.jpg
    Can anyone answer the following..

1. Is it possible to re-program this system for use with a different monitoring company?

2. If so where might I find the make/model/engineer codes for this system?

Thanks

Mod Edit Snip____.
    These systems are set up by them so are well locked down with no way in from what I have being told. I am not sure if there is an output on this system to add an external bell either. If there is then an auto dialer could be used. The main drawback is if you have any issues with sensors you would need P.W. to replace same.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Sequence 365

If you were mislead in anyway when they sold you the system put it in writing to them and look for a refund.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Thats exactly what I was looking towards with my questions above.
    Wonder if the OP got a risk assessment done & a written system design proposal ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Thanks for replies.

I suspected they had pulled a fast one.

I have been with Phone Watch (Eircom) for over 10 years, and about a month ago I moved broadband to UPC, which meant no more phone line so PW advised they would need to install a new system with GSM. funnily though when they came to install the engineer asked me how was the mobile coverage at my house and I said it was fairly good. He then said he was going to install it on my broadband, which he did.

So he did the install, and when he left I suddenly realised that the sensors had cameras. Now call me paranoid but I am not comfortable at all with this.

I rang them and basically told them to take out the system as they had installed what I considered a materially different system to what I had, without informing me and without my consent.

After some to'ing and fro'ing they said they would change the sensors to regular ones (no cams), and reduce their monthly fee from €27 (and something) to €21. An engineer is scheduled to come and look at changing the sensors.

I know that I can get the same monitoring service from a different provider for about €17 a month.

Still undecided what to do!

KoolKid wrote: »
    Thats exactly what I was looking towards with my questions above.
    Wonder if the OP got a risk assessment done & a written system design proposal ?

None of that...it was done in <1 minute on phone...

Revert to your original request to have it removed. Any new system they install will still be a closed protocol and you will be tied to them.
    You were given no system design proposal and you never signed agreement on the specs proposed.
    Get out of this system while you have a chance would be my advice. It will save you a lot in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Op, you mentioned you had UPC broadband, do also have a phone with them?
    There was no reason technically, whatsoever why PW could not get a phone line from that

kub wrote: »
    Op, you mentioned you had UPC broadband, do also have a phone with them?
    There was no reason technically, whatsoever why PW could not get a phone line from that

Yes I have phone with UPC, I thought it was strange PW installed the system over my broadband instead of phone line.

Perhaps it was an easier install for the engineer?

• Advertisement

They wanted to tie you to their system & their GSM might well give them more control.

I suspected they had pulled a fast one.

I have been with Phone Watch (Eircom) for over 10 years

They have not pulled a fast one if you are a customer of theirs for 10 years.
    They offered you a upgrade to the system you have in place and you accepted.

Not taking sides, that is my opinion.

For an upgrade to the system the OP should have been given a proper risk assessment and a proper system design proposal.
    After receiving the design proposal he should be signing off accepting that proposal /quotation.
    Looking at it from the outside it seems to me that the OP has been mis sold this system.
    This year alone, I have got about 10 customers a refund on this basis.

I have installed a lot on this basic too.
    My opinion is the system would of being based on the system installed at the premises.

Maybe I am missing something drastic here. He had a system here covering his windows and doors,. PW sold him an upgrade over the phone reducing that coverage for a PiR trap system. That is basically a new system which should require a risk accesment and a new system design proposal.
    How do you define what is a new installation and what is an upgrade?

I must be missing something also.
    I thought the OP had a trap pack/system installed already???

See his quote here
    I have been with Phone Watch (Eircom) for over 10 years, and about a month ago I moved broadband to UPC, which meant no more phone line so PW advised they would need to install a new system with GSM. funnily though when they came to install the engineer asked me how was the mobile coverage at my house and I said it was fairly good. He then said he was going to install it on my broadband, which he did.

So he did the install, and when he left I suddenly realised that the sensors had cameras. Now call me paranoid but I am not comfortable at all with this.

I rang them and basically told them to take out the system as they had installed what I considered a materially different system to what I had, without informing me and without my consent.

After some to'ing and fro'ing they said they would change the sensors to regular ones (no cams), and reduce their monthly fee from €27 (and something) to €21. An engineer is scheduled to come and look at changing the sensors.

I know that I can get the same monitoring service from a different provider for about €17 a month.

Still undecided what to do!

He has had a PW alarm previousally installed.
    It seems that was giving him perimeter protection. I also gather PW offered and sold him an upgrade over the phone that changed that configuration to a trap system based on PiR protection. IMO such a significant change to the protection offered should warrant a risk accesment and a new system design proposal.

I got cameras in the sensors meaning PIRs with cameras, OP never mentions perimeter protection altho that is what they should of being looking for to protect the premises.

As they installed the original system 10 years ago they have no obligation to do another risk assessment on on the property.

A risk assessment would only be needed by P.W if they have no other systems installed in the estate for a new install.

If you think they do, can you please point this out in the standards that govern this???

You have lost me here. Are saying if I have any installation in the same estate I don't need to do a risk assessment etc for another house in the same estate??

That makes no sense.
    Risk accesment is not going to be the same for every house in any Estate.
    There may be rear access there may be side access, there could be 100 reasons affecting changes between the results of one risk accesment or another

OP my advise is see if you can get out of the installation if it does not suit your needs.
    If not, you are looking at sticking with P.W for the future of the installation of this system.

• Advertisement

altor wrote: »
    OP my advise is see if you can get out of the installation if it does not suit your needs.
    If not, you are looking at sticking with P.W for the future of the installation of this system.

Good advice.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Good advice.

That is what I am here for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

OK guys

The OP has received some good answers here but we are walking the line so please note the following.

1)PW are your competitors (in some cases), their commercial operations are as sensitive to them as yours are to you. Only the OP had conversations with PW so that needs to be kept in mind. PW are afforded the same level of discretion as you guys so keep that in mind when making statements. Also please watch what say please to avoid bringing heat on boards.ie

Note don't over analyse the above point please , I'm just asking for a little more discretion, you can still get your message across and advise users on security systems.

2) Altor and Koolkid. Don't turn this into a thread about the two of you please.
    Giving good advice does not mean that you can post and behave anyway you like afterwards. Even of the OP thanks you for your direction. Don't let this explode please.

Thanks for all the contributions.

On PW, what annoys me is not so much the sloppy way they sold me an upgrade/new install, but the way they were willing, at the first sign I was considering switching, to drop their price by about 22%.

It screams a) we have been overcharging you all these years and b) we are desperate to hold on to your business.

Pueblo, what I'd advise before you decide is shop around. Ring around a few companies & get some further information.The thing is, if you do stick with your current you will not have the luxury of shopping around later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

It's the same with everything really.
    The insurance on your car,
    Sky or UPC
    Even different savings accounts in the same bank.
    Not checking regularly or changing or taking the handy option to "stay where I am" is usually an opportunity lost to save money.

People don't like change or bother, that's why charities outside Supervalue say they can't take your 50 euro donation, they like you to pledge 5 euro paid via standing order, simply because people don't cancel them and they can represent that as a bankable source of income. They build a business that leverages funds from people being too lazy to change bank details.

Many people on boards probably work for a company that approaches their customers in the same way.

I think the most important thing that people don't realise about the new PW systems is that you will not have the ability to shop around or change. It's one of the only systems on the market that is locked down to a single monitoring provider.

Thanks for all the contributions.

On PW, what annoys me is not so much the sloppy way they sold me an upgrade/new install, but the way they were willing, at the first sign I was considering switching, to drop their price by about 22%.

It screams a) we have been overcharging you all these years and b) we are desperate to hold on to your business.

I know a few who just had them monitoring the system, needless to say the call out to repair anything well and truly covered what they did not receive in the full payment.

Advertisement