Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Hacking Court Case resolved.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I remember being in the bomb shelter for what seemed like days when it was happening.

I think a moment's silence for those we lost in the great hack of 2010 is in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Boards.ie: Chris

IRLConor wrote: »
    I don't know about now, but at the time there was no country ban for Latvia.
    Tor exit nodes were given the boot over this I believe? I laughed at the press release because unless I was fed a line back in 2011 this was no guy doing it for giggles because he was bored in his bedroom one day. Nice to see the end of the case and fair play for following it through to the end.

Every morning I put on the Father Ted episode 'Are You Right There, Father Ted?', wait for the bit where Colin says "I hear you're a racist now Father" and spin a globe. Wherever my finger lands is todays country to be blocked. Our last "outage" was because I managed to land on Ireland :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

He'll be on the CIA watchlist now so that should keep him quiet !

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Fathom wrote: »
    Hack? Or social engineering?

I didn't figure it out at the time, but perhaps the Gardai found out in the course of their investigation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

At 17 I think you can actually be sent to jail.
    DeVore, do you have any idea why he was in prison? What was the reasoning for it since the judge today gave him a year suspended.
    zeffabelli wrote: »
    Wasn't he underage when he commited the crime? Can you be convicted as an adult....

Lads, I wouldn't put too much stock in the ages in that article, as the details of same just don't add up, IMHO:
    The court heard it was Aleksejs Ivanvos’s (23) hobby at the time, that he didn’t gain financially and he just wanted the satisfaction of a successful hacking.
    Ivanvos of Saldus, Latvia, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to criminal damage of data at boards.ie based in Blanchardstown, Dublin on December 21, 2010. He was aged 17 at the time.

Right, so he's 23 now based off that first paragraph, meaning that in May 2010 he was 18, right? But by the second paragraph there, he was obviously only 17 or maybe even 16 in May 2010 (his name's not Benjamin Button, after all), so either the reporting there is outright wrong, or someone got away with significant porkies and simple maths weren't checked. I suspect (hope!) it is just the former though, and he's actually only 22 or 21 now.......

Kudos to the folks in boards.ie for pursuing it to a conclusion though.

EDIT: never mind, article confusingly suggests he was 17 at the time of the court appearance in December 2010, which may not be the case. Very poor phrasing on their part, IMHO

• Advertisement

cython wrote: »
    Kudos to the folks in boards.ie for pursuing it to a conclusion though.

The majority of the praise needs to go to the Gardai & the DPP for that. Once a complaint has been made to them all decisions about whether or not to pursue a criminal case are down to them. If they had decided to drop it at any stage there wouldn't have been much we could have done about it, but they stuck at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wasn't aware that once a guilty plea was entered, there was no further evidence entered, as surely the circumstances and evidence are relevant to the sentencing...

Any road, knowing what I've been told about this case the sentence is too lenient, but hopefully the stint spent in actual prison has injected a dose of cop on.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

That's not strictly speaking true. After a guilty plea, a precis of the evidence is offered to the court usually by the Garda Court Presenter before some cross-examination by defence counsel, then a plea in mitigation. (The plea in mitigation is the bit where you usually hear all the cliché, "opportunistic crime", "early guilty plea", "changed wo/man"..."undergone rehabilitation", "once-off"..."out-of-character" etc.)

The plea in mitigation is not generally challenged unless there is something that is absolutely and provably untrue contained in it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

That's pretty much exactly what happened Hulla...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I found these posts from about 10 years ago. Strangely relevant.
    Victor wrote: »
    DeV has gone to the Garda at one stage, but I don't know if that was a boards.ie thing or not.
    philologos wrote: »
    Damn.... going to the gardaí over forums. What are the cops going to care about a forum :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We regularly interact with the gardai now :)

Btw, Chris... John Cloud Breslin once banned the entire IP range for Cork in order to ban a persistent muppet. :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,053 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

DeVore wrote: »
    Btw, Chris... John Cloud Breslin once banned the entire IP range for Cork in order to ban a persistent muppet. :)
    So who do we blame for the unbanning?:P

Beasty wrote: »
    So who do we blame for the unbanning?:P

CuLT.

Always blame CuLT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Or that D'Arcy fella.... Ooooooh yes....

Or Regi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It was amp. It had to be amp. Final parting shot before he quit was to let the langers back in.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

IRLConor wrote: »
    CuLT.

Always blame CuLT.

Listen here just because I've moved to Cork doesn't mean I've gone native.

...bai! :pac:

Good to have this over and done with, though I did enjoy the "HELLO THIS IS THE COMPUTER CRIME UNIT" calls every time I'd almost forgotten about it...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

DeVore wrote: »
    We regularly interact with the gardai now :)

Give him an award :pac:

Really good to see these closed off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

So when does Gordon get his hands on him? I assume the lads at clover hill extending jurisdictional courtesy to a fellow warden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I always thought it was due to an Admin whose password was compromised while on holiday.

Not that the Admin was to blame.

• Advertisement

I always thought it was due to an Admin whose password was compromised while on holiday.

Not that the Admin was to blame.

That particular admin was not on holiday at the time of the incident. When the password was compromised? Perhaps, but I don't know if anyone knows that for sure.

Advertisement