Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Researchers crack the world’s toughest encryption with microphone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

It's very powerful to think that this was done with a mobile phone just 30cm away from the laptop in question.

This only applies to someone using GnuPG but the implications of this are staggering!

A few suggestions on how to stop this from happening:

- Use a hardware token i.e 2FA to unlock your machine / encrypt your e-mails.

- Play some white noise or music when putting your password in.

- Remove everything with a microphone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭manjosh

So is it that every stroke on a keyboard as it own specific tone?. Because i think that is the only possible explaination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

manjosh wrote: »
    So is it that every stroke on a keyboard as it own specific tone?. Because i think that is the only possible explaination.

So it would seem! Apparently also minute sounds made by the CPU can be detected too.. I haven't read the full paper but it seems even a relatively low cost microphone can detect these sounds - that said if you use two factor authentication, you needn't worry too much! :)

Advertisement