Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tomato plant

Options
  • 13-05-2015 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Got myself a little tomato plant to keep on a window sill. Within one week it became over twice as tall. Just seems odd that it grows so quickly and I'm wondering should I support it/ snip the top or do anything else?
    cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,461 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not an expert on tomatoes, but...tomatoes do grow fast like that, especially in the early stages. Usually you nip out the growing tips to make them bushy, but I think there are some new ones that you don't nip so not sure there. It will almost certainly need a bit of support - I would surround it with three sticks rather than just one and join them with string so it is a structure to support the plant.

Main point I would make is that i do not think that window is sunny enough - what direction does it face? Do you have a south or west facing one without a blind? Keep watering and feeding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Looks like it needs watering, no need to cut the top of it yet, they can grow very tall, I usually cut the top when it gets to about 5 tomato trusses, or gets too tall for the bamboo cane supporting it

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

I'd agree with looksee that it's not bright enough where it is, it's starting to get drawn for lack of light.

Do you know the variety? From its growth it would seem to be one of the 'normal' varieties that need their side shoots pinched and have just one stem trained up. It will need a bigger pot too.

You would only pinch out the top at this stage if it was a mini bush type.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tsuzmir

lk67 wrote: »
    I'd agree with looksee that it's not bright enough where it is, it's starting to get drawn for lack of light.

Do you know the variety? From its growth it would seem to be one of the 'normal' varieties that need their side shoots pinched and have just one stem trained up. It will need a bigger pot too.

The window is south facing and it does get good bit of sun. unfortunately I've no clue what variety it is. Should I have it in bigger pot now or will I replant later when it's more established?

lk67 wrote: »

The window is south facing and it does get good bit of sun. unfortunately I've no clue what variety it is. Should I have it in bigger pot now or will I replant later when it's more established?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

tsuzmir wrote: »

Perhaps the blinds are cutting down on the light but the issue is that these are really greenhouse plants. They tend to get leggy indoors. Leave in that pot for now but it will need that cane soon. Maybe put them outside in a bigger pot in a week or two. Somewhere warm and sunny!

If you decide to get a windowsill tomato again then go for a mini bush variety like Totem.

Have fun with it regardless!

ok Heuston, we have a problem. the plant grows like mad. what should i do? should i cut it back a bit so it doesnt take over the whole room?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

Support it with one stick wrap it around it easy,tie loose if needed.
    Feed with tomato feed when it starts to flower.
    Look at the bottom two shoots comming out see the little bit growing in between the main stem and shoot,pull that off and do the same anywhere else they appear this will ensure a healthy crop

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

Support it with one stick wrap it around it easy,tie loose if needed.
    Feed with tomato feed when it starts to flower.
    Look at the bottom two shoots comming out see the little bit growing in between the main stem and shoot,pull that off and do the same anywhere else they appear this will ensure a healthy crop

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Imo tsuzmir, its the wrong tomato plant in the wrong place.
    It seems like a cordon variety that under normal circumstances
    will be let grow to approx 5/6 feet high with 5/6 trusses of toms.

Your plant has already split in two half way up, i would prune out the left growth as their is a fruit truss on the right.
    It is definitely stretching from lack of continuous light and the pot it is in will get root bound quite quickly.

If you can harden of the plant first, i think you would have more success
    with it outside against a sunny wall, and as Ik67 mentioned, try a bush variety for the windowcill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement