Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home remedies for red bum?

Options
  • 13-05-2015 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    as the title suggests - anyone got any tips?

Our little lad had a dose of the runs today and the stuff must have been like acid because his bum is red raw ad the skin is actually broken in parts - like skint.
    It looks very painful.
    We have put some of the good cream we have on him, but if that doesn't work, whats our alternatives?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Bepanthan and coconut oil are the ones that work best for us - fortunately we rarely need to use them, we've been very lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Lots of nappy free time. Let it air out.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Air is best - make sure there is no cream etc on it when airing. I found loads of caldesene lotion and then sprinkle the caldesene powder on top of the lotion very good. It formed a gooey paste layer, you would need oil on cotton wool to help wipe it off but I found the raw skin was protected and healed faster. Don't wipe it off with wipes or water, oil is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Baking soda in the bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Orabase and vaseline mixed together is my go to... And metanium cream from uk.

For home remedies cornflour is supposed to be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

cyning wrote: »
    Orabase and vaseline mixed together is my go to... And metanium cream from uk.

For home remedies cornflour is supposed to be good.

I cannot endorse orabase and Vaseline enough. Clean your baby's bottom with cotton wool and olive oil and then lash the orabase and Vaseline on in a thick layer.
    It forms a seal against the acid from the urine.
    When the skin starts to heal it will heal almost in front of your eyes.

My little one had a tummy bug just after Christmas and with a dirty nappy every 5 minutes one day the poor baby had really red raw skin. My sister suggested this as she used it on her 3 and it worked a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

My little girl gets bleeding nappy rash it's horrendous... It's the only thing for it. It's a complete barrier so really helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Lanolin, expensive but awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

We swear by Canestan Nappy Rash Cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Think it depends on the child as well. Our first responded very well to bepanthen and a german discounter nappy cream (and not a german discounter with stores in ireland, oh no. Available in germany only, imported by loving grandparents at the expense of their luggage allowance....:rolleyes:)

For number two, only sudocreme and caldescene spray seem to work ( just as well we dont have pots and pots of above mentioned german nappy cream lying around :mad:).

I've heard good things about weleda, and la roche, but these are rather expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

We swear by Burts Bees nappy ointment. Our son used to get exactly like yours, he'd cry when he knew you were going to change him as he knew he was sore. Once the Burts Bees was on it would sooth him, create a good barrier and heal it pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Thanks all for the responses. Its looking better today and we have been giving him nappy free time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

We always used Sudocream as it not just heals but cools the skin fast.

Bepanthan is fastest healer I've seen

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

La roche for us was the biggest swindle, it didnt do a bit of good whatsoever.

I think its a trial and error for every different bum. I've used sudocrem, bepanthen, vasogen, caldesene. A friend swears by a paste made of baking soda and water. Luckily we've never had it so bad that skin was broken, though the spots in the nappy area during the chicken pox hurt a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭SF12

Vaseline works for us.Lots and lots at every nappy change. Air helps too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We use calendula cream by weleeda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I second this also it's pricy but worth it.

Only time we used something else was when she had thrush and had to go prescription route.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I love this cream and we very rarely have to use anything else.

Advertisement