Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poxy vintage car rallys!

• 13-05-2015 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

Blocking the road up to Sally Gap about 6k out coming up from Killakee.
    Please tell me I'm not the only dope who agreed to turn back! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

terrydel wrote: »

A friend of mine was complaining about this earlier this evening. He'd planned on Kippure but got forced into heading down Glencree. He went up Kilakee a second time to help him feel better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

crosstownk wrote: »
    A friend of mine was complaining about this earlier this evening. He'd planned on Kippure but got forced into heading down Glencree. He went up Kilakee a second time to help him feel better.

Amazed they get to take over a public road. Probably a bunch of middle class hooray henrys too hahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Wonder was there a road closure order? Doubt it

I wasn't there as I was delayed in Kilkenny with work (I had hoped to get up there this evening) but as it's a public road I'd have carried on unless asked not to do so by a Garda. If the classic car folks looked like dangerous nut jobs pulling handbrakers and donuts then I'd reconsider. Although that's unlikely as those classic car people care for their machines like I care for my bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The stewards should have a copy of the closure order on them if it's legit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Almost as bad as ignorant cyclists on footpaths whacking into people every day, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

I was up there on my way home and spoke to some of the people there for a while Given the entry fee I would say there was definitely a road closure order, though I can't find any information on the WCC website. Some fabulous cars up there.

If they had a closure order they can stop you proceeding onto the stage. They don't need a Garda there to do that. I've marshalled at a lot of rallies over the years and when at a junction my instruction was all that mattered.

crosstownk wrote: »
    I wasn't there as I was delayed in Kilkenny with work (I had hoped to get up there this evening) but as it's a public road I'd have carried on unless asked not to do so by a Garda. If the classic car folks looked like dangerous nut jobs pulling handbrakers and donuts then I'd reconsider. Although that's unlikely as those classic car people care for their machines like I care for my bike.

Guy I spoke to was pleasant enough, said it was in the papers.
    Mentioned the cars would be coming down towards me if I cycled on, at about a ton or more, so I decided on the sensible option of turning around.
    Had I been on the motorbike, not a bloody hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Amazed they get to take over a public road. Probably a bunch of middle class hooray henrys too hahahaha

Don't forget the tight lycra :p

H

Plastik wrote: »
    Some fabulous cars up there.

That would have been an excellent side benefit and an excuse to take a few photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

This was the event

http://www.tourbritannia.com

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Jesus what a shítty attitude. They had the road for an hour or two for one day, one day! Come on, have a bit of empathy.

Especially as a cyclist, you must have some consideration for others using the road. Between sportives, races etc. we do our fare share of 'road closing' activities. They used it today, you might do a sportive or a race someday and need it another. Share and share alike.

Your attitude stinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

gadetra wrote: »
    Jesus what a shítty attitude. They had the road for an hour or two for one day, one day! Come on, have a bit of empathy.

Especially as a cyclist, you must have some consideration for others using the road. Between sportives, races etc. we do our fare share of 'road closing' activities. They used it today, you might do a sportive or a race someday and need it another. Share and share alike.

Your attitude stinks.

+100! Well said!

Your attitude stinks.

It was a joke, hence the 'hahahaha' at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

There have been a great number of Cyclist V Motorist threads on this forum.
    This is one of the very few, where I fully support the Motorist.

Guy I spoke to was pleasant enough, said it was in the papers.
    Mentioned the cars would be coming down towards me if I cycled on, at about a ton or more, so I decided on the sensible option of turning around.
    Had I been on the motorbike, not a bloody hope
    !

Yeah, sure…Ha. Ha. Ha.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Bpd or bipolar?

My My how dare the CARS take over the road like that!
    Poor you

Yeah, sure…Ha. Ha. Ha.:rolleyes:

Hang on while I decide to give a **** what you think :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

"terrydel wrote:
    Had I been on the motorbike, not a bloody hope!

So let me get this straight. Because you were on your bike you turned back however had you been on your motorbike you'd have ridden head on into a closed Road rally? And you say you're not a dope?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

You really are the master of repartee and swift rejoinder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Shock horror as motorists use roads and slightly inconvenience cyclists

So….:
    It was a joke, hence the 'hahahaha' at the end.

Then…:

So someone calls you out on you bad attitude and frankly dangerous behavior (motorbike up the middle of a rally?), and you get all passive aggressive? Ok. Sure just throw a few smilies onto it sure. :rolleyes:

Your attitude to the road closure totally lacks consideration and empathy. No amount of smilies can excuse that.

So let me get this straight. Because you were on your bike you turned back however had you been on your motorbike you'd have ridden head on into a closed Road rally? And you say you're not a dope?

Had the guy at the road block said it was possible yes, had he said absolutely not, then no.
    See you were not there and thus do not know the context or anything relating to the conversation I had with him.
    I'm sure he'd have only good things to say.

So….:

Then…:

So someone calls you out on you bad attitude and frankly dangerous behavior (motorbike up the middle of a rally?), and you get all passive aggressive? Ok. Sure just throw a few smilies onto it sure. :rolleyes:

Your attitude to the road closure totally lacks consideration and empathy. No amount of smilies can excuse that.

Spare me your moral indignation. Better still, pass me your mobile number so I can get your permission next time I want to post a smilie.
    :D:D:D

Spare me your moral indignation. Better still, pass me your mobile number so I can get your permission next time I want to post a smilie.
    :D:D:D

Awww. And so it goes on. I only hope, to wish, to dream, that some day, Some day, I can a) decide that my hobby/behaviours and opinions take precedence over all others. And b) contradict myself so thoroughly and completely as you and keep going. Some day *looks off wistfully into the distance* :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Eamonnator wrote: »
    You really are the master of repartee and swift rejoinder.

Thanks, not so bad yourself.

Awww. And so it goes on. I only hope, to wish, to dream, that some day, Some day, I can a) decide that my hobby/behaviours and opinions take precedence over all others. And b) contradict myself so thoroughly and completely as you and keep going. Some day *looks off wistfully into the distance* :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

You don't like me, I'll live.

You don't like me, I'll live.

I don't like your attitude to this particular situation. I have no idea who you are, what you're like or if I would like you or not. That's not what this discussion is about. I disagree with your OP, the thread title and some of your posts. You opened a thread on the subject. People have disagreed. It is not about who you are as a person. How could it possibly be?!!!

No feelings have been engaged in the writing of this post :rolleyes:

I don't like your attitude to this particular situation. I have no idea who you are, what you're like or if I would like you or not. That's not what this discussion is about. I disagree with your OP, the thread title and some of your posts. You opened a thread on the subject. People have disagreed. It is not about who you are as a person. How could it possibly be?!!!

No feelings have been engaged in the writing of this post :rolleyes:

Fair enough, I can perfectly understand how some would take up what I posted in a manner similar to you, after all tone is hard if not impossible to convey online (smilies help but you have clearly decreed that they aren't allowed and I must abide by that or face further judgement :pac:)
    The title was meant facetiously, tongue in cheek, I spoke to the marshall for a few minutes having a laugh about it, was entirely polite and didn't give a ****e I had to turn back.
    I was again being facetious remarking that I'd carry on if on my motorbike. Maybe you need to not take every remark you see literally before having a pop at someone's character! But hey, that's your right of reply and Ive myself to blame really don't I.

• Advertisement

There's literally no point in continuing this discussion.

I'm out.

There's literally no point in continuing this discussion.

I'm out.

Finally we agree.
    Take care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is this what the zombie apocalypse looks like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Well that escalated quickly....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

We'll leave it there

Keep a civil tone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement