Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giro d'Italia Stage 6 - Montecatini - Castiglione - *contains unmasked spoilers*

• 13-05-2015 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭

T06_CastiglioneDP_alt.jpg?psid=1

Back to what should be a fairly straight-forward sprinters stage, although nothing is certain. The middle section is challenging, and if Tinkoff go back to their old trick of chasing hard unnecessarily it could well be enough to scupper the stage favourite, Andre Greipel. Greipel I think is priced terribly at 7/4, even if he can get over the middle section unscathed I am not convinced he has the legs to overhaul Viviani, Matthews and the rest. Some great value on the market tomorrow if you fancy a bet. Matthews at 22/1 and Felline at 150/1 are
    particularly tempting I think.

oddschecker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Given the relatively short length of the last couple of stages and the massive time gaps back to the grupetto, some of the sprinters and non-climbers have defintely been taking it easy. So there should be a lot of riders who fancy this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

no eurosport coverage coz of a storm in Paris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

neris wrote: »
    no eurosport coverage coz of a storm in Paris

Ah ffs, what am I going to watch this evening with me cup of tea

back on now. very funny that they go for a break and come back to live pics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Caught the start of the Eurosport coverage, they were discussing Mario Cipollini's tv show last night and how they implied that Contador's bike change with 30k or so to go was suspicious with the rumours around with hidden motors in bikes these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Caught the start of the Eurosport coverage, they were discussing Mario Cipollini's tv show last night and how they implied that Contador's bike change with 30k or so to go was suspicious with the rumours around with hidden motors in bikes these days.

The Italian pundit wasnt fussed. his suggested reasons for the bike change included, higher tyre pressure, F1 quality oil, and ceramic bearings..as marginal as your gains get.

I wouldn't read much into what Mario said. He was arguing the point that the rest of the peloton should attack Contador when he stopped to change his bike. I'm presuming Mario wants Aru to win.

Also, Mario complaining about Contador 'cheating' ..... talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

am i hearing matt stephens say some nutter cycled straight into the peleton and took a load of riders out of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

neris wrote: »
    am i hearing matt stephens say some nutter cycled straight into the peleton and took a load of riders out of it?

Yeah in stage 2, some lad on a fixie cycled into the bunch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Also, Mario complaining about Contador 'cheating' ..... talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to which Kettle is the blacker!

• Advertisement

Less than 10km to go now.

Was that a nasty broken arm!?

bertie down in a crash in last few meters. greipel takes sprint

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

That arm looked nasty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Ouch!

I nearly puked when I saw the arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭afatbollix

It was a photographer who he hit. Very nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Looks like a dislocated shoulder and broken arm..

Not for the faint hearted..

Nsfw - http://i.imgur.com/32WtWwK.jpg

afatbollix wrote: »
    It was a photographer who he hit. Very nasty.

Just someone in the crowd with a long lens camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Brian Smith suggests double barriers at the finish. Sounds like the way to go. Gives a better frame of vision if everyone is a few feet further back too.

• Advertisement

that does not look good for contador. left arm down by side and wont take put the jersey on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

No Contador would really spoil the race.

Hopefully just being very cautious there on the podium, but looks bad.

so is Oleg the owner or the DS?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

I wouldn't read much into what Mario said. He was arguing the point that the rest of the peloton should attack Contador when he stopped to change his bike. I'm presuming Mario wants Aru to win.

I think he is right about the attacking part though. If Contador wants to change his bike for tactical reasons then it should be acceptable for other riders to attack him while doing so. An F1 driver won't ease up because his opponent is in the pits

Didn't Contador himself attack Schleck when he dropped a chain a couple of years ago? All bets should be off for tactical switches and it was even argued at the time that Contador attacking Schleck that time was fine because his mechanical was own fault.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Didn't Contador himself attack Schleck when he dropped a chain a couple of years ago? All bets should be off for tactical switches and it was even argued at the time that Contador attacking Schleck that time was fine because his mechanical was own fault.

think that was 2010 TDF

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Bloody hell just saw a photo of the arm brake. Sickening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Bad luck for Contador - was it last years TDF he broke the leg or was it Giro ?

omri wrote: »
    Bad luck for Contador - was it last years TDF he broke the leg or was it Giro ?

Broke it in the Tour, then won the Vuelta

• Advertisement

His press guy says just sore, speculation is it's broken. Just have to wait for official word I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Confirmed dislocated shoulder apparently. The double is more than less over. Shame

That's a bloody balls that is. Although he might manage having it popped back in? After all he managed with one leg for a bit last year.

Did he need to be that far up front at that stage in the race?

Tour-Vuelta could be his goal now but he'd have to pull out of the Giro now

According to the Spanish sports newspaper AS, Contador suffered a dislocated shoulder. However it appears it was a temporary dislocation of a joint followed by an immediate return to its normal position. The correct medical term in this case is a subluxation of the shoulder.

Contador got up quickly after his crash and rode to the finish. However he was unable to pull on the pink jersey on the podium and quickly left for his hotel.

Not looking good but I'm keeping everything crossed.

Tour-Vuelta could be his goal now

was thinking the same

• Advertisement

Contador's face told the whole story in my opinion...he's done

CE--WHsWAAAQB_p.png

*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nealcassidy

jesus. just lucking forward to the giro. all these injuries are ruining the grand tours methinks

Not that it's any comfort to me at all, but Aru vs. Porte will probably be closer than Contador vs. Aru and Porte.

CE_JEyAW8AEXKBu.jpg

I imagine he won't withdraw til tomorrow if he does it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

CE_JEyAW8AEXKBu.jpg

I imagine he won't withdraw til tomorrow if he does it at all.

Some injuries on Colli

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

godtabh wrote: »
    Some injuries on Colli

Just seen his arm in the video above, bleedin nasty for him alright.

Colli will be having an operation on his fractured arm tomorrow, he's been tweeting and putting a brave face on. Well done him.

Such a rotten day to have after 5 days of great racing.

Contador just tweeted that he hopes to start tomorrow, no fractures.

If he can hang in for the rest of this, it would be really something.

At least it's not a mountain stage tomorrow. Although it is the longest stage of this Giro at 264km in length.

If he can hang in for the rest of this, it would be really something.

No more amazing than Aru recovery from dysentery!

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    No more amazing than Aru recovery from dysentery!

Wouldn't remotely compare the two myself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement