Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 10ft mower

Options
  • 13-05-2015 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Well lads, looking at a new 10ft mower with conditioner, most likely on the linkage.
    Just wondering where i stand with topping, is there any mower out there with conditioner that will work on 540 so i would be able to top in 540e.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Personally wouldn't go any more than 7 foot on the linkage. At 10 foot I'd be after a trailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

What tractor are going have on? You would need a decent sized yoke to ballast out the weight of the mower.

Instead of topping just let go strong and take it out for bales. Haven't topped here for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 NHt6

newholland t6.155, should have no problem.

yellow50HX wrote: »
    What tractor are going have on? You would need a decent sized yoke to ballast out the weight of the mower.

Instead of topping just let go strong and take it out for bales. Haven't topped here for a few years.

newholland t6.155

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

NHt6 wrote:

That would be plenty able to handle it. We've a 9ft on 100hp and she's just about able to handle, sometimes leave the loader on to balance it out. You should have no problem getting a mower with on 540. Havd you any preference on which brand?

• Advertisement

NHt6 wrote: »

Should be ok then. How much topping were planning to do?

Ah i would like to get a good brand, e.g krone, class, jf etc but i can't get enough info on getting one with a 540 gear box.
    Around 120ac topping and 300+ mowing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Ah i would like to get a good brand, e.g krone, class, jf etc but i can't get enough info on getting one with a 540 gear box.

Is a conditioner an deal breaker?
    We mow our own with a 10 linkage Krone non conditioner mower

At that level get a proper topper as you could en up damaging the mower bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

yellow50HX wrote: »
    At that level get a proper topper as you could en up damaging the mower bed

You'd be grand close back window, turn up the radio and drive like you stole it Sure what could go wrong :))

In fairness those mowers are grand for topping I'd be concerned about dragging the conditioner along for the ride

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

The older mounted pottinger mowers you can drop the conditioner off quite easily, and as far as I know you can still do it on the new ones too. Grand mower, handy enough drove, 3m on a 6.155 doin a touch over 3l/acre in first cut grass. They are very high on the road when folded but all 3m mounted are.
    Think they only come in 1000pto but I'd say it'll be hard find a 3m moco that will run at 540

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Consider one with the swivelling gearbox on the headstock?
    I know Kuhn do them, and running at 540 or 1000 input is simply a matter of turning the gearbox 180 degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Zr105 wrote: »
    The older mounted pottinger mowers you can drop the conditioner off quite easily, and as far as I know you can still do it on the new ones too. Grand mower, handy enough drove, 3m on a 6.155 doin a touch over 3l/acre in first cut grass. They are very high on the road when folded but all 3m mounted are.
    Think they only come in 1000pto but I'd say it'll be hard find a 3m moco that will run at 540

Why do you need 540pto ?
    540 puts a high torque load onto any machine.
    Run two Kuhn 12' without conditioners and topping with them is no bother.
    Also run two trailed Pottingers with conditioners and no bother topping either.
    Both are good makes but the Pott's are more robust.

All four mowers are 1000pto. We always run the Kuhn's on the Eco box.

Dawggone wrote: »
    Why do you need 540pto ?

The 1000 isn't the problem it is topping in 1000 that is, i don't want to be topping at 2200 rpm as i have 540 and 540e but no 1000e

Dawggone wrote: »
    Why do you need 540pto ?

Op wanted to run in Eco box for topping was the only reason I mentioned it! 1000eco box isn't standard fit on t6's unfortunatly, but it's not something that wouldn't worry me in the slightest either though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

10 ft krone trailed here for 10 yrs mowing 200 ac last few yr is about tops
    never ever had a bit of trouble. Yoke up grease and change blades and off the go.
    Swivel head is a great job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

While conditioners have benifits im not sure they justify the huge amount of power they consume, my estimate they consume around 30 %of the power to drive a mower.i have a 10ft 6 mower without cond and its no bother to dtive whereas a neighbour has a 8ft on the same hp and shes struggling with a conditioner

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Zr105 wrote: »
    Op wanted to run in Eco box for topping was the only reason I mentioned it! 1000eco box isn't standard fit on t6's unfortunatly, but it's not something that wouldn't worry me in the slightest either though!

It's crazy that 1000 box isnt standard on a tractor like that!

keep going wrote: »
    While conditioners have benifits im not sure they justify the huge amount of power they consume, my estimate they consume around 30 %of the power to drive a mower.i have a 10ft 6 mower without cond and its no bother to dtive whereas a neighbour has a 8ft on the same hp and shes struggling with a conditioner

We've a 105hp on 10ft with conditioner running about 2000 revs.
    was flat out on 95hp tractor alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

WHich do ye prefer mounted or trailed machines, any particular reason one is better than the other?

• Advertisement

pajero12 wrote: »
    It's crazy that 1000 box isnt standard on a tractor like that!

1000 speed box is standard but a 1000speed economy box isn't unfortunately, likes of duetz and a few others have 4 speed ptos, 540,540eco,1000 and 1000eco..

Milked out wrote: »
    WHich do ye prefer mounted or trailed machines, any particular reason one is better than the other?

Mounted pros;
    Easier get in gates,
    Cheaper day one,
    Can square out corners tighter,
    Can lift mower out of wet spot easier

Cons;
    Heavy on back end, needs a bigger tractor to carry it,
    High when folded on road,
    Tighter corners would be no use for trailed harvester,
    Can't see front cover of mower beside wheel-can't see foreign objects
    Have to be wary of turning sharp with mower raised on a hill

Trailed pros;
    Much easier hook up to,
    Real easy to carry-can get away with smaller tractor,
    Can see the front of mower better-foreign objects
    Giro head- can turn very sharp
    Can run a grouper/swather if needed

Cons;
    More expensive,
    Have to take more sweeping corners even with giro head,
    Wide on the road
    Awkward through gates- have to hit tight gates turning left into them
    More drives to grease
    More gearboxes to run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

sorry to hijack this thread

got a new 9ft krone side mounted to day, tried it out pre mowing a paddock this evening.
    it is leaving the sward about 2ft wide behind, even after taking off the sward board, was told by the sales rep it would leave grass the width of mower bar 12-18 inch.
    no real experience with mowers, so am i missing something obvious???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

dar31 wrote: »
    sorry to hijack this thread

got a new 9ft krone side mounted to day, tried it out pre mowing a paddock this evening.
    it is leaving the sward about 2ft wide behind, even after taking off the sward board, was told by the sales rep it would leave grass the width of mower bar 12-18 inch.
    no real experience with mowers, so am i missing something obvious???

Yeah my krone 9ft will leave practically the full width without swath boards so thats not a lie.
    Cant answer why she's gathering it so narrow .
    I'll give the engineers on here a laugh by suggesting some issue with disc rotation direction :'

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Yeah my krone 9ft will leave practically the full width without swath boards so thats not a lie.
    I'll give the engineers on here a laugh by suggesting some issue with disc rotation direction :'

Don't think its any issue with disc rotation, I was trying to figure out how it could be done wrong and I can't :P

Often find that in a lighter crop of grass, It will throw the swath real narrow.Are there side gates on the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

You are correct on your suggestion there is an idler gear between the discs that you can take out and rotate this will either row the crop or spread the crop.

dzer2 wrote: »
    You are correct on your suggestion there is an idler gear between the discs that you can take out and rotate this will either row the crop or spread the crop.

Is it a big job to do this, I'll have very little need to row the grass as it's topping and heavy paddocks mostly, grass is always raked before pick up any how.
    Thought it might be low covers that wasn't helping stuff this eve was about 1400

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

Is it a big job to do this, I'll have very little need to row the grass as it's topping and heavy paddocks mostly, grass is always raked before pick up any how.
    Thought it might be low covers that wasn't helping stuff this eve was about 1400

No a 10 minute job and the oil wont leak either

Ah surely one of the lads in kehoes can sort it out?

• Advertisement

Ah surely one of the lads in kehoes can sort it out?
    You'd think, it was ment to be del and set up on tractor, they sent it up with a young lads working there a week, done his best but was unsure of anything unusual
    Spent an hour getting it right myself

Advertisement