Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a pain in my h***

Options
  • 13-05-2015 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

Paying for triathlons

Joey Hannon €50
    Athy €58
    Tri an Mhi €90
    Athlone Half €120
    Kinsale €45
    Lost Sheep €96

add club membership €50 and TI membership €60

€560 down b4 a ball is even kicked $$$$%&%*^^£^$£

Rant over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Paying for triathlons

Joey Hannon €50
    Athy €58
    Tri an Mhi €90
    Athlone Half €120
    Kinsale €45
    Lost Sheep €96

Rant over

Ah sure it could be worse you could be drinking it or smoking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Paying for triathlons

Joey Hannon €50
    Athy €58
    Tri an Mhi €90
    Athlone Half €120
    Kinsale €45
    Lost Sheep €96

Rant over

Think that is roughly what I paid for entry to Ironman Austria!!. At least that's a few more races.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Jaysus Brian, you're becoming a total moan in your old age.
    Race entry, swim sessions, bike stuff, runners, gear, race entry, TI membership, club membership, coaching....if I didn't spend money on all these things I wouldn't have a totally out of date day to day wardrobe ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

It is about a month since his junk training thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Just cranky which must mean im training hard ;)

• Advertisement

Just cranky which must mean im training hard ;)

Or too much junk miles tiring you out? Pushing too hard to get your threshold pace under 4:30 per km? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

Race entries have gotten a little more expensive..there used to be the odd club race you could get for €35 or there abouts.. seems to be min €50 now even for non NS.

I do think there should be a facility for refunds for illness.. within reason.. high prevalence of colds and flus in the triathlete world.

Paying for triathlons

Joey Hannon €50
    Athy €58
    Tri an Mhi €90
    Athlone Half €120
    Kinsale €45
    Lost Sheep €96

Rant over

To be honest you, and others like you, are to blame for the ones in red.

Athy and Athlone are entirely commercial ventures, profit driven. You are paying the price that they ask for willingly. Its your fault that these races have survived. Just don't do them if the price isn't to your liking.

"But wait dave you have to do these races to get NS points"

Wes Murphy way back when proposed a cap on the costs for races that could be considered for the PL (predecessor to NS), he didn't get supported at the AGM as far as I can remember.

As much as it does not seem it TI is an organisation for the members and Age Groupers CAN change the way things are done when they affect Age Groupers. Table a motion, change things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

tunney wrote: »
    As much as it does not seem it TI is an organisation for the members and Age Groupers CAN change the way things are done when they affect Age Groupers. Table a motion, change things.

Completely agree with this, i went to the AGM this year a bit of a sceptic but if a motion is tabled and is backed up with a good discussion with some support beforehand its very likely to get passed as its voted on at the AGM by everyone attending.

Or too much junk miles tiring you out? Pushing too hard to get your threshold pace under 4:30 per km? :)

Junk miles dont make u tired. They just inflate your ego! :)

3 x 15 at 4.30 per km (my tempo) this morning followed by a bike race tonight.....that will make me tired

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

You also forgot to price of the year membership to the gym ,upkeep of the bike, new pair of runners, gels etc

That's why I gave it up !!!! too expensive.

SCOL wrote: »
    You also forgot to price of the year membership to the gym ,upkeep of the bike, new pair of runners, gels etc

That's why I gave it up !!!! too expensive.

Now that I no longer race I spent MORE money. Alcohol, junk food, etc. Plus I am fatter and less happy about myself!

Its not just all costs, there are benefits too!

Now that I no longer race I spent MORE money. Alcohol, junk food, etc. Plus I am fatter and less happy about myself!

Its not just all costs, there are benefits too!

Could cost be the reason a lot of people move into bike racing instead ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i would think that up to now in the top 5 of the most profitable irish triathlons per entry , you would likely have 3 races in the top 5 that are organised by "non profit" clubs.

I am not disagreeing with your point but I would think if you go into details an for profit race would have to be approx 30-40 % more expensive than a club race to make the same profit margin per athlete. ( people in the know like BTH please correct me if thats wrong ) But vat, corporation tax , labor costs, higher race license fees , often higher fees to councils etc do add up .

To be honest you, and others like you, are to blame for the ones in red.

Athy and Athlone are entirely commercial ventures, profit driven. You are paying the price that they ask for willingly. Its your fault that these races have survived. Just don't do them if the price isn't to your liking.

"But wait dave you have to do these races to get NS points"

Wes Murphy way back when proposed a cap on the costs for races that could be considered for the PL (predecessor to NS), he didn't get supported at the AGM as far as I can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Have a Snickers Bryan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

Athlone Half €120
    Rant over

You did "well" there, it's now €140 plus I think 5 transaction cost.

We have a problem with transfers/refund policies generally in that they are not standardised in any way.

I want to enter Athlone, but at this price am not prepared to run the risk of being injured say 3 weeks out and having no option for either a partial refund or chance to transfer. I say this because I got burned at Lost Sheep last year when I found I had to travel with work and asked to arrange a transfer on August 7th - the request was flat out denied.

So my policy now is to wait until as late as possible to enter "expensive" races, and if I miss out well then I miss out. I'd guess it's not good for organisers either in terms of planning to have entries arriving at last minute, but if there's not a reasonable transfer/refund policy then..

Only 2 races entered this year and Mrs AKW tackled me last night about how much it cost. It's a bit like that motto about dying and hoping your wife doesn't sell your bikes for what you told her they cost. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

The Future? :)

Race Entry ONLY €30

Extra offerings to make you day more enjoyable;

Access to 1st swim wave (subject to availability) €10
    Express Registration (at entry to transistion) €10
    Personal Bog Roll in "goodie bag" €2
    Portaloo Fast Pass €10
    Access to exclusive swim wave waiting tent €5 (dry grass, vaseline, gas heaters)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The crazy price of races is pretty much why I'm probably only going to do around 3 tris this summer! The London Triathlon was £94.50 this year, and that's just Olympic distance... :eek:

Even the relatively small sprint I'll start my season with in July is nearly 50 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Duathlons and Aquathons are run at a fraction of the price, why?

Belpark Duathlon 18 euro
    Trim Duathlon 21 euro I think
    Pulse Aquathon 15 euro

Something doesn't add up.

• Advertisement

rooneyjm wrote: »

Belpark Duathlon 18 euro
    Pulse Aquathon 15 euro

All club events. Run as not for profit most likely by clubs.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Im currently trying to claw back over e1400 in outlay for an IM event. Now thats kerching. Its only when youre trying to get it back you realise how insane it is. Local events are cashing in though too. Dont like it? Do cheaper events where available.

On a separate note, something I never realised is that booking accomodation with Nirvana gives automatic insurance for your entry fee. Worth knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Belpark Duathlon 18 euro
    Pulse Aquathon 15 euro

I think Duathlons & Aquathons are by their nature cheaper to run than Triathlons. However Nenagh TC manage to put their triathlons on for €35. An awful shame the North Tipp Sprint didn't get the numbers to enable the club to go ahead with it this year. (there is one example of people not voting with their wallet). I do appreciate that there is alot of competition down that neck of the woods early in the season but it was an excellent race and a pity it wasn't supported this year.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Duathlons pull from a larger pool of people too, so maybe it's easier to break even on events like that.

AKW wrote: »
    All club events. Run as not for profit most likely by clubs.

I'd like to think they would make something to put back into the kitty but it just seems a big jump from 20 to 40/45 for one extra discipline.

Yeah Nenagh was a good warm up race, did it a couple of times, great for beginners. Why did they move it from the start of May, there's a gap there for a pool based tri within striking distance of Dublin.

ray o wrote: »
    I think Duathlons & Aquathons are by their nature cheaper to run than Triathlons. However Nenagh TC manage to put their triathlons on for €35. An awful shame the North Tipp Sprint didn't get the numbers to enable the club to go ahead with it this year. (there is one example of people not voting with their wallet). I do appreciate that there is alot of competition down that neck of the woods early in the season but it was an excellent race and a pity it wasn't supported this year.

Didnt realise they cancelled from lack of interest they always got good numbers? If they move it back to the start of May ill go next yr.

What adds up the costs is the Finisher tech t shirt.....jacket or rucksack.
    HOTW charges 65 and i heard took a hit on the rucksacks they got last year.

Am going to start an online petition to see if there is support out there for a cap to be put on the entry fee in triathlons in Ireland. If there is enough support i will present it to TI. The price of triathlons should be encouraging people into the sport not the opposite.

Sprint cost €30
    Olympic €40
    Half Iron €60

People dont need the bells and whistles.....tshirts,jackets....or a hot meal afterwards (particularly in sprint/olympic)
    A banana and a bottle of water will do

I'd like to think they would make something to put back into the kitty but it just seems a big jump from 20 to 40/45 for one extra discipline.

Yeah Nenagh was a good warm up race, did it a couple of times, great for beginners. Why did they move it from the start of May, there's a gap there for a pool based tri within striking distance of Dublin.

You'd like to think that. Thats nice. However its completely untrue.

What adds up the costs is the Finisher tech t shirt.....jacket or rucksack.
    HOTW charges 65 and i heard took a hit on the rucksacks they got last year.

Am going to start an online petition to see if there is support out there for a cap to be put on the entry fee in triathlons in Ireland. If there is enough support i will present it to TI. The price of triathlons should be encouraging people into the sport not the opposite.

Sprint cost €30
    Olympic €40
    Half Iron €60

People dont need the bells and whistles.....tshirts,jackets....or a hot meal afterwards (particularly in sprint/olympic)
    A banana and a bottle of water will do

You don't want these things as you do lots of races. The bucket lister who does one season and is gone - they want all these things. They are teh target market now Bryan.

• Advertisement

You don't want these things as you do lots of races. The bucket lister who does one season and is gone - they want all these things. They are teh target market now Bryan.

I dont agree Dave..maybe in Athy or Athlone but in most other races the majority of folk are repeat customers not daytrippers

Advertisement