Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a pain in my h***

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Duathlons and Aquathons are run at a fraction of the price, why?

Belpark Duathlon 18 euro
    Trim Duathlon 21 euro I think
    Pulse Aquathon 15 euro

Something doesn't add up.

I believe that these are the races that clubs DO make money on. There are less overheads for duathlons and aquathlons. Less roads to close (if any) Belpark use phoenix park and it doesn't really inconvenience anyone majorly. Also races are over quicker as they're shorter so less time for roads to be closed, less time for any guards that are needed to be out etc
    Aquathlon is a swim and a run along the beach. No roads to close...couple of guards on duty and TI official and a safety boat. The rest comes from club volunteering.
    Most clubs, I'd imagine are just looking to break even on a race - aquathlons/duathlons are the moneymakers (from what I've heard)

At the end of the day, the clubs need money to continue running...thats why I support club road races as a runner rather than commercial events because I know what it takes to keep an athletics club going.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I dont agree Dave..maybe in Athy or Athlone but in most other races the majority of folk are repeat customers not daytrippers

Would be very very good to get the membership retention figures for last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I believe that these are the races that clubs DO make money on. There are less overheads for duathlons and aquathlons. Less roads to close (if any) Belpark use phoenix park and it doesn't really inconvenience anyone majorly. Also races are over quicker as they're shorter so less time for roads to be closed, less time for any guards that are needed to be out etc
    Aquathlon is a swim and a run along the beach. No roads to close...couple of guards on duty and TI official and a safety boat. The rest comes from club volunteering.
    Most clubs, I'd imagine are just looking to break even on a race - aquathlons/duathlons are the moneymakers (from what I've heard)

At the end of the day, the clubs need money to continue running...thats why I support club road races as a runner rather than commercial events because I know what it takes to keep an athletics club going.

I remember when I was in Belpark and we ran the duathlons, with less numbers, the profit was savage. For a period it did all go back into the club, subsided gear, training, Christmas parties etc. I loved that old course, particularly one corner........

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

ive paid €30 for sprints, got a meal, good t-shirt and goody bag and paid €50 for sprints and got none of that.

Both were run by local clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

I'm happy to do a race and get no shirt/medal etc. these days, but there are races that I'd hate to see change their format if a cap were introduced.

What I have noticed is that it can be hard to figure out the price of a race ahead of entering it. Some organizers websites list prices, others don't. The TI website doesn't list prices on the overview listings page until you sign in to enter a race.

Might a first step be to try and make the pricing a little more transparent, so that people can weigh up their options?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Sometimes in discussion on entry price and cost of running events I think that there is a risk factor that is ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭his_dudeness

tunney wrote: »
    You don't want these things as you do lots of races. The bucket lister who does one season and is gone - they want all these things. They are teh target market now Bryan.
    I dont agree Dave..maybe in Athy or Athlone but in most other races the majority of folk are repeat customers not daytrippers

Every race is going to be someones first race and they're possibly/probably going to want some memento from it, whether they gone on to be a repeat customer or not. Would a two-tier gear/no gear structure work?

There is a lack of transparency regarding exactly which races are club races and which are for-profit races, which I'm sure could be easily incorporated into the TI website

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Sometimes in discussion on entry price and cost of running events I think that there is a risk factor that is ignored.
    This is one thing people forget ... There was a time when ironman was Very close to go bankrupt.
    For every race that makes good money there is prob 3that just break even or lose money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Attracta Doherty Pink'n'Gold Tri yesterday in Cavan... €30 entry for the Sprint. For that you got:

Well marshalled and clear course
    Chip timing
    Safety kayaks
    Insurance
    Water, iso drinks at finish
    Free entry for under 16's (and plenty of races for them)
    Fundraiser for good cause
    No TI card necessary...

One of the best organised Tri's I've done, hats off the Muckno Tri for organising, especially at that price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

can I add beautiful swim and loads of prizes
    consistently a great event every year

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Louh Derg Sprint was the same story, 30 euros entry, TI registered raec, good course, well marshalled, chip timing, race belt as prize in the goody bag, and one of the best post race spreads you'll see in a truly beautiful location.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fiftyplus

Why the seemingly increasing tendency for medals in triathlons? Mine, like many I suspect, go straight in the bin - would be interesting to know what percentage of triathletes would opt for a medal or a cheaper entry fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Fiftyplus wrote: »
    Why the seemingly increasing tendency for medals in triathlons? Mine, like many I suspect, go straight in the bin - would be interesting to know what percentage of triathletes would opt for a medal or a cheaper entry fee.

Mine go no the mantelpiece.

I believe a lot of chip timing companies are offering them as part of the package to draw the cusom of the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Fiftyplus wrote: »

Cheaper entry fee every time tbh! I can understand people doing their first or doing it as a charity endeavour wanting one, but when you've got a drawerload of them at home from other races there's very little point.

A *GOOD* t-shirt (well cut without too many sponsor logos) is sometimes worth it though but too many race organisers seem to think that a men's size small is acceptable as the smallest size to have (it screws over most female triathletes if that is the case).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

gerfmurphy wrote: »
    can I add beautiful swim and loads of prizes
    consistently a great event every year

Mucknow tri club seem to be leading by example.

Sprint was 30 euro and their olympc on Aug 22nd is only 40 euro.
    Fair paly to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Mucknow tri club seem to be leading by example.

Sprint was 30 euro and their olympc on Aug 22nd is only 40 euro.
    Fair paly to them

Did the Olympic race on Saturday. Suberbly organised race. Proved beyond doubt that a high quality race can be put on at an affordable price. Hat tip to Muckno Tri Club

Advertisement