Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK buyer wants to pay for motorcycle using PayPal

Options
  • 13-05-2015 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

I've got a bike for sale and the UK buyer is getting his mate to collect it from me in Dublin.
    What he wants to do is get his mate to inspect it when we meet and if all is good the buyer then wants to transfer via PayPal.
    The amount would be a few thousand and he says he'll cover any fees his end.
    My question is is, could there be issues with a large transaction either with PayPal or when I try to transfer the money from PayPal to my bank account.
    I'd rather cash but he says it's a 3.5 HR round trip to meet his mate to give him the cash.
    Anything I should be concerned about

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

No chance youll see the money after you sell the bike. Avoid. If he wants it, its cash only.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭gabe1977

RossieMan wrote: »
    No chance youll see the money after you sell the bike. Avoid. If he wants it, its cash only.

He sent a deposit this evening which I got to my PayPal account. I accepted and transfered the funds to my bank account.
    I suppose what I'm wondering is, is the money secure once I see it in my PayPal account

• Registered Users Posts: 21,628 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You could suggest he give his mate money via credit transfer and let him pay you cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I presume his 'mate' is in Ireland? Why not transfer the cash to him first?
    If his mate is coming over to inspect and if all is ok, but the bike, then why not do same thing?
    Too many ifs in this if it was me.
    Ps a deposit is a small amount to pay for a bike if things are dodgy.

You could suggest he give his mate money via credit transfer and let him pay you cash.

That was the other option I was going to suggest.
    I don't think he's a scammer as I was chatting to his mate who's collecting and we know the same people plus he's a member on a forum I'm on.
    Just very dubious of letting my bike go without cold hard cash in my hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

Have to say I would be very nervous. My memory is that a Paypal buyer can have a payment reversed citing faulty goods, etc and where are you then. Mind you if the cash is in your bank does it matter!! I would prefer cash. What about a bank transfer... then it is in your bank!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

You would want to be mad to consider this. Even if you do get paid the buyer opens a case against you stating x,y and z are wrong etc. Paypal will side with buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Don't accept this. Easy to be scammed.

I presume his 'mate' is in Ireland? Why not transfer the cash to him first?
    If his mate is coming over to inspect and if all is ok, but the bike, then why not do same thing?
    Too many ifs in this if it was me.
    Ps a deposit is a small amount to pay for a bike if things are dodgy.

Good points.. His mate is travelling from the UK to collect and is over and back regularly apparently.
    I'm going to ask in the morning if he can transfer to his mate.
    I suppose the purpose of my post is, do people transfer large amounts safely and without complications via PayPal

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rilly99

There is similiar post week ago - not sure if scam we had customer who wanted to pay 7.5 k by card and we use PayPal usually we only use PayPal for small transactions so this was quite unusual for us -'no problem with customer but we need the cash and were preferred to pay the fees - anyway I put through the card for him - funds transferred ok to PayPal but when I went to transfer same to bank there was a lag of one day- u think they may have checked with - then the funds went through -so in your case it sounds like there would have to be at least three workings days from payment to hi releasing the bike - which if you think about it is basically payment up front -can't see that happening- and if he is prepared to do that it would be far cheaper to transfer to pay direct to bank - fishy!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭vanessamee

I use PayPal weekly and I would not let this transaction go ahead so an so could say the bike is damaged or what ever the case funds will be taking back avoid like the plague

If you're seriously considering this, and it's for a decent chunk of money, then open a new bank account and paypal account. Once you have the money transferred, withdrawn and in your hands, close both accounts.

Then you can hand over the goods..

I have my mind made up not to accept PayPal but just a side point.
    He says he's was going to send it as a transfer to friend/family.
    Would he still have come back to say there was a problem with the bike when it's not marked on PayPal as a payment for goods

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rilly99

gabe1977 wrote: »
    Would he still have come back to say there was a problem with the bike when it's not marked on PayPal as a payment for goods

Tell him what payment method you want - if he wants the bike he will agree - if not sure there is plenty of other cash buyers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Op is the bike rare/special/cheap? Normally it's Irish bikers going to Britain to buy (did it myself twice when living in Ireland) as Irish bikes are usually much poorer compared to British ones (mot etc. On bikes there and many more weekend and seasonal riders than Ireland). If it's a bike the guy could easily pick up in GB that would be the thing that would make me wary rather than PayPal. I paid for both my bikes with PayPal though both were eBay purchases paid for before collection.

murphaph wrote: »
    Op is the bike rare/special/cheap? Normally it's Irish bikers going to Britain to buy (did it myself twice when living in Ireland) as Irish bikes are usually much poorer compared to British ones (mot etc. On bikes there and many more weekend and seasonal riders than Ireland). If it's a bike the guy could easily pick up in GB that would be the thing that would make me wary rather than PayPal. I paid for both my bikes with PayPal though both were eBay purchases paid for before collection.

It's a race bike so it would be very specific. It's actually the other way now as regards people buying in the UK and instead lots of people from UK are buying bikes here as the sterling is so strong versus the euro. I was talking to one transport company who said they're flat out collecting bikes from Ireland for UK buyers.

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

This deal screams "scam"....better prices and bikes in the UK. ..why buy in Ireland????

Edit; race bike maybe....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Refund his deposit and sell it elsewhere. Cash is king baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Where did you advertise this bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

PayPal is awful for dealing with with large numbers. They'll side with the buyer and you'll owe them the total, even if you take the money out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

The fact your worried enough to post about it Here, tells me you know the deal is iffy!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

gabe1977 wrote: »

Last I checked if it's sent as a gift as opposed to payment for goods then they have no comeback with PayPal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

So PayPal isn't safe ??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

bigpink wrote: »
    So PayPal isn't safe ??

For the buyer it is. It's safe for the seller too but if the person you sell to is an asshole they can get their money back easily enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement