Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning to dog owners in NCW area...

• 13-05-2015 11:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭

Posted on my Facebook page:

"share this post anyone from the Newcastle area
    As these men in the white Van
    have been going around trying to sell apparently fish ..there knocking on doors really to see if your a dog owner!
    And marking your wall or fence with a blue marker! if they have done this they will be back for your dog ..so if anyone has seen or had these bastards knocking on your door phone the police ASAP
    "

11026162_981391181884536_4833925074418241911_n.jpg?oh=14844f4b9ac8b163e9499967f01ac48f&oe=55D34FF5&__gda__=1443347615_f3ac8c338d201e75a220c9effbc04f28
    11014898_981391215217866_5215094806737783353_n.jpg?oh=5456569ed32f29c848d985b8acf6b52e&oe=55D91055
    11139411_981392301884424_8278782431376269173_n.jpg?oh=1e0fd1b75869941b33da85477cda8a29&oe=56071CBC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Call me sceptical but... does ncw have any 30 kph zones? Does anywhere within 100km of ncw have 30 kph zones, excluding the small stretch along by the boardwalk in Limerick?

Is it not more likely that the Newcastle referred to is a city in England with 30mph limits?

Obviously the core message here has merit - beware of dodgy travelling door to door salesmen. Especially ones leaving marks or symbols on your gate/wall.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

This is the third time I've seen this warning in the last couple of days, the other ones were on Faceboon, 1 was for the Bangor area and the other was for Glasgow.

Still, not a bad warning for EVERYWHERE, if you see someone acting suspiciously or marking your property, report it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

The thing about criminals marking homes (with paint, chalk, etc.) is a myth. See http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/dogstickers.asp . It would make no sense to alert rival criminals to something of value by marking a property, and anyway it would be easier to just note down the address.

Louche Lad wrote: »
    The thing about criminals marking homes (with paint, chalk, etc.) is a myth. See http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/dogstickers.asp . It would make no sense to alert rival criminals to something of value by marking a property, and anyway it would be easier to just note down the address.

You should get onto the nGardai about this. At least some individuals in the force regard symbols as still being in use by the type of people not known for literacy beyond signing the bottom of a page to get money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

That looks like a UK speed sign.

You are also posting unsubstantiated allegations as fact with identifying pictures on it which probably isnt a clever idea.

If you see a white van with men performing the actions you describe report them to the gardai who will investigate and take informed actions. A Facebook mob is not the correct thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Pandiani

I've seen this facebook post, its in Newcastle, England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,637 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ah, Newcastle, England, as opposed to Newcastle West, Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Coincidentally, there was a bloke at my house starting a fish round just last week. A good range of fish but too expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

That looks like a UK speed sign.

You are also posting unsubstantiated allegations as fact with identifying pictures on it which probably isnt a clever idea.

If you see a white van with men performing the actions you describe report them to the gardai who will investigate and take informed actions. A Facebook mob is not the correct thing to do.

Yes, and looks like a UK number plate on the van, so as others have said, it must be Newcastle in England.

Maybe the van simply cut across some other driver who's now trying to get revenge - that's my guess.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Is that the same white van that tries to snatch children every few years?

• Advertisement

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Yes, and looks like a UK number plate on the van, so as others have said, it must be Newcastle in England.
    There's no reason to rule out a suspicious UK reg vehicle around the Limerick area haha. There's plenty of them.

The speed limit sign is a much better indication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Am I the only one who finds the whole thing hilarious even before we start talking about mixing up Newcastle and Newcastle West.
    The guys are pretending to be selling fish but what they want is your dog, not your cash or jewellery etc, they'll be back for your mutt.
    They are marking the wall 1930 hobo style instead of just jotting down addresses. These guys must be dangerous, the sooner they are locked up the better, when they get to Blackpool the whole northside of Cork City will be on alert.

If I have to keep an eye on every single white Transit with a UK reg here in NCW I'll get nothing else done. Also, that's a UK speed sign as other posters said. Pointless thread.

Advertisement