Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone posted rashers to Canada?

Options
  • 14-05-2015 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Thinking of sending some rashers and pudding to Canada. Has anyone done so, and did you have any issues? I think sausages are not meant to last the trip, so not sending them, but i think rashers and pudding are meant to be okay?

Anyone do it before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

***** Moving to Canada forum for country specific answers ******

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

They would have to be packed in a specific manner and meet certain requirements. There's no guarantee of them making it to Canada in a timely fashion, I'd guess.
    Fish, game, meat, fruit, vegetables or other perishable items must be properly prepared and meet applicable requirements for mailing (see Section 3.2.1 Suggestions for how to package and wrap items of ABCs of Mailing).

In addition, it should be noted that these commodities Canada Border Services Agency might require special import permits in order for these products to enter Canada. For additional information contact:

Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada at: 1-613-759-1000
    Canada Border Services Agency at: 1-800-461-9999.

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGnonmail-e.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

I'd say the sniffer dogs would be delighted with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

My housemate's mam sent a packet of black pudding and it got confiscated at customs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

My housemate's mam sent a packet of black pudding and it got confiscated at customs :(
    Black pudding has blood in it, so I'm guessing this is why they didn't allow it through.
    Faith wrote: »
    They would have to be packed in a specific manner and meet certain requirements. There's no guarantee of them making it to Canada in a timely fashion, I'd guess.

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGnonmail-e.asp
    Ah. This is what I was looking for, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

I have brought black and white pudding over 3 times in the the last 12 months when visiting friends in toronto and always declared them the border control had no problem the first time he asked if the black or white was the one with the blood and I was allowed through with them. I have posted pudding over and declared it and it got to the lads no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Conchurl wrote: »
    declared it
    How does one declare it? Do you write on the side of the package?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Rashers Tierney ? .:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Long Gone wrote: »
    Rashers Tierney ? .:confused:

Fixed your post

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

the_syco wrote: »
    How does one declare it? Do you write on the side of the package?

When I was posting it I was given a form in the post office to fill out.

And when I flew over I wrote it on the sheet they make you fill in

• Advertisement

Conchurl wrote: »
    When I was posting it I was given a form in the post office to fill out.

And when I flew over I wrote it on the sheet they make you fill in

Posting "rashers" to Canada ? ? - It sounds like something off Father Ted ! :rolleyes: Shure that's mad Ted !

And I'd love to know what Immigration and Customs made of the "rashers" declaration on the Landing Card ! - Ah Ireland, you're rearin' them yet ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

Bringing them on a plane in some sort of cooler bag fair enough but posting them I'm not so sure. My packages from home take 2 weeks to get here - I don't think I could eat them after that long, even in a cooler bag. Superstore do great back rashers and their sausages are similar enough. If only I could find a good loaf of Brennan's bread I'd be laughing!

I think the OP (and one of the responses) must be a wind up - "Rashers" would be absolutely manky by the time they got to Canada in the post - Coolbag or no coolbag !
    I agree - Nothing wrong with Canadian Superstore bacon.
    I could understand posting or bringing beer though - Canadian "moose urine" beer is really awful.....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Given the lenght of time it would take to get there it really wouldn't be worth your while. The odds are they will only be fit for the bin when they get there. Also Canadian bacon is very good, almost nicer than Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Sending rashers in the post? What bleedin' next eh? :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

They will send no problem, brave person to eat them though. Best plan would be post a live pig with 7-10 food reserve and butcher it on arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

I think the OP (and one of the responses) must be a wind up - "Rashers" would be absolutely manky by the time they got to Canada in the post - Coolbag or no coolbag !
    I agree - Nothing wrong with Canadian Superstore bacon.
    I could understand posting or bringing beer though - Canadian "moose urine" beer is really awful.....:(

That's as bad as posting out rashers! Loads of local craft beers in Canada that are quality. It's probably the best thing they do.

RichFTW wrote: »
    That's as bad as posting out rashers! Loads of local craft beers in Canada that are quality. It's probably the best thing they do.

The beer will last the journey - The "rashers" will be maggoty, slimy and disgusting ! ! Only Conchurl would eat them...

Am I the only person who's got a real problem with the concept of "craft beer" ? - To me it's just an excuse to charge an extortionate price for glorified home brew. In general I think Canadian beer really sucks - The light beer is Moose urine and the heavier beers are Moose drool .... :(

The beer in Canada is pretty decent in my opinion (craft beers and big brewery beers).

And I definitely don't get the nasty hangovers here that I used to get from Coors, Miller, Heineken etc back in Ireland.

Give me a pint of good old Carling, Carlsberg or even (at a stretch) Fosters or Heineken any day... A good skinfull of Canadian beer (and Molsen Canadian in particular) leaves me feeling like death warmed up the next day....:(

What's the similarity between American beer and sex in a canoe ? - They're both ***king close to water ! .:D

• Advertisement

The beer will last the journey - The "rashers" will be maggoty, slimy and disgusting ! ! Only Conchurl would eat them...

Am I the only person who's got a real problem with the concept of "craft beer" ? - To me it's just an excuse to charge an extortionate price for glorified home brew. In general I think Canadian beer really sucks - The light beer is Moose urine and the heavier beers are Moose drool .... :(

I didn't mean bad as in it wouldn't last the journey; I meant bad as in it would be as pointless as posting rashers given the quality of Canadian beer and the fact that you can get all the European beers here anyway. There are tons of better beers than Carling, Carlsberg or Fosters here. Beau's, Steamwhistle and Mill St would be off the top of my head and that's before even mentioning the local micro breweries. The fact that you even mentioned Fosters shows how little you know about good beer!

To the OP, don't bother posting rashers as there are alternatives here. I'd post some chocolate instead as most of it tastes weird over here.

The fact that you even mentioned Fosters shows how little you know about good beer!

If you bothered to read my post properly you'd have seen that I put "at a stretch" in brackets before mentioning Fosters. This would, to a more discerning reader, clearly communicate that I do not regards Fosters as being a good beer...

Having said that I'd drink Fosters before I'd drink foul tasting dishwater like Beau's, Steamwhistle, Mill St or any of the other versions of Moose urine that you mention in your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Alcohol will explode on a plane.

Alcohol will explode on a plane.

Yeah my duty free explodes every time. :-(

If you bothered to read my post properly you'd have seen that I put "at a stretch" in brackets before mentioning Fosters. This would, to a more discerning reader, clearly communicate that I do not regards Fosters as being a good beer...

Having said that I'd drink Fosters before I'd drink foul tasting dishwater like Beau's, Steamwhistle, Mill St or any of the other versions of Moose urine that you mention in your post.

You mentioned that Fosters, even if with a caveat, is a better beer than local Canadian ones; which I don't think it is. Not even close. Carling or Carlsberg aren't a patch on Canadian beer either if it makes you feel better. The Heineken over here is stronger (5% vrs 4.3% in Ireland) so I actually prefer it and still drink it at home.

I'd bet you never even had those beers I listed though as you keep referring them as moose urine. Anyway we'll agree to disagree. Get yourself to a craft beer bar with an open mind and you'll change your tune!

Carling or Carlsberg aren't a patch on Canadian beer either if it makes you feel better.

Eh you do realise that Carling originated in Canada ? - Hence the name Carling which is the place it was first brewed in Canada ? - So it is a Canadian beer ! How anyone can claim that Carlsberg isn't a patch on the likes of Molson Canadian et al is beyond me.....

Eh you do realise that Carling originated in Canada ? - Hence the name Carling which is the place it was first brewed in Canada ? - So it is a Canadian beer ! How anyone can claim that Carlsberg isn't a patch on the likes of Molson Canadian et al is beyond me.....

I never once mentioned Molson Canadian. I gave you a list of beers and mentioned local micro breweries as better alternatives. Carling is on the same level as Molson Canadian, Labatt or Bud in the US. It's clear as day that you haven't a clue what you're talking about. I should have known better trying to discuss anything with you given your track record of making crap up in this forum. I'll know better in future.

I never once mentioned Molson Canadian. I gave you a list of beers and mentioned local micro breweries as better alternatives. Carling is on the same level as Molson Canadian, Labatt or Bud in the US. It's clear as day that you haven't a clue what you're talking about. I should have known better trying to discuss anything with you given your track record of making crap up in this forum. I'll know better in future.

Well who rattled your bars then ? - No need to throw one of your hissy fits !:rolleyes: Taste in beer is obviously a personal taste and there is no "right" or "wrong". I am perfectly entitled to express my personal views regarding beers and to say that I don't know what I'm talking about when I express my person opinions as regards beers is self-evidently complete and total nonsense. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

the_syco wrote: »
    Hey all,

Thinking of sending some rashers and pudding to Canada. Has anyone done so, and did you have any issues? I think sausages are not meant to last the trip, so not sending them, but i think rashers and pudding are meant to be okay?

Anyone do it before?

Where in Canada are you locating to? This place is an hour outside Toronto. It's an English guy who farms the UK way and he does what we would call bacon. It's not cheap and it's not always in stock so make sure to sign up for the newsletter or check fb before you go. But his stuff is excellent. Can't recommend him enough. He does proper sausages too. We take a trip to him fill the freezer and we're sorted for a while, so it's not a big deal that it's an hour away.

http://www.ourgatetoyourplate.ca/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

So what "Irish" beer would you post? Budweiser, Heineken or Carlsberg? :)
    Since you don't believe in good beer, industrial waste is all that's available in Irish pubs.
    There's maybe Guinness just in case it is unavailable in all of Canada.
    And why would anyone post Brennan's bread? I'm sure if anyone looked hard enough, they would find Styrofoam for sale in a shop somewhere in Canada. :pac:
    I wouldn't bother posting rashers. Irish smoked salmon, now there's something worth posting. And the retailer would certainly be able to send it on the sender's behalf.

Advertisement